How many P.L managers will survive one bad season ?

lysglimt

Scout
If we say that a bad season for most teams will be ending 3-5 places below an expected position - and for teams expected to be at the bottom, that they end up exactly as bad as expected. Looking at results only, how many managers would survive that ?

City ending around 4th, Liverpool around 5th, United around 5th, Chelsea around 5th, Leicester around 9th, Everton around 11th etc

How many managers have either earned enough goodwill to survive that, or have a board patient enough to give them more time ?

Guardiola, Klopp, maybe Fahrke can survive another relegation, maybe Bielsa

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Think it would take more than 5th for Liverpool to think about sacking Klopp. Not 100% sure we'd sack Ole if we finished 5th either. Pep would probably leave if they finished outside top 4.

Bielsa and Moyes have earnt their stays as well I'd think.

Red Stone

Klopp has proved that he at least had enough goodwill to not lose his job after a stinker of a season. He might not be safe after two in a row, though. I can't see Leeds ridding themselves of Bielsa. He decides when he wants to move on or retire.

tomaldinho1

OP is saying 3-5 places below expected position so, using the worse case scenario I’d say that’s basically City 6th (I do think they’d sack Pep/he’d walk), then Pool, United, Chelsea 7th or lower (all would be sacked for me unless they were winning the CL to offset it).

Moyes I think would survive a low finish, Hasenhuttl just needs to avoid going down and it’s a success given their finances, Bielsa I think would never be sacked but walk. Everyone else would be canned.

rotherham_red

Depends on what a bad season would entail. My original thought that only Klopp and Pep would be fine, maybe Ole too after the credit he's built up with the board and the matchgoing fans, but then I remember Arteta still being at Arsenal after presiding over the worst season and run of form they've ever had in the modern era, and now I don't know what to think.

I think if Ancelotti was still at Everton, he'd have survived a bad season as well. He was one of the few managers who was settling for a club beneath his reputation (if not worth).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is finishing 8th considered a bad season for Arsenal these days?

tomaldinho1

Is finishing 8th considered a bad season for Arsenal these days?
I genuinely think their target is around there. Not sure it’s realistic that they could break into the top four and I’d fancy Leicester, Spurs, Everton to finish above them - probably WHUM and Leeds as well based off last season.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Think it would take more than 5th for Liverpool to think about sacking Klopp. Not 100% sure we'd sack Ole if we finished 5th either. Pep would probably leave if they finished outside top 4.

Bielsa and Moyes have earnt their stays as well I'd think.
I think after all the money you have spent and on paper the best squad in the league Ole’s job would be in major jeapordy if you aren’t winning something major this season. If he finishes out of the top four with nothing and is retained then there is real serious issues on how your club is ran.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I think after all the money you have spent and on paper the best squad in the league Ole’s job would be in major jeapordy if you aren’t winning something major this season. If he finishes out of the top four with nothing and is retained then there is real serious issues on how your club is ran.
Firstly, best squad in the league?

Secondly, to the bolded, the last 9 years would prove that to be true.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If teams finished 4-5 places below expected:

Safe

Pep (would probably try to resign however)
Klopp (maybe similar to Pep)
Frank
Dyche
Biesla
Farke
Moyes (maybe as they're in the Ropey)

Sacked before it got to that stage/sacked after a bad run

Tuchel
Fat Spanish Waiter
Bruce
Munoz
Santo
Viera
Lego Pep (don't think he gets another stay)

Sacked at end of season

Potter
Lage
Hassenhutl
Ole (reckon he gets a season if it is 4-5 places, but wouldn't survive the Summer.)
Rodgers
Smith

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Watford's manager isn't even safe in August and I have no idea who is managing them they change so many in a season.

caid

Thats how we roll, we wait 6-12 months past the point we should move on before changing manager. Just to really let kill off all motivation and good will.

Mr Smith

Clubs are actually a lot more patient now than they were with managers 5-10 years ago. I think a solitary bad season is usually only fatal for relegation threatened clubs and Chelsea managers. Us, Liverpool, City, Spurs, Everton, Leicester, etc would probably have to see poor performance bleed into a second season before sacking someone.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Don't think there's any chance in hell Leeds sack Bielsa if we come 14th. He might need to be persuaded not to walk away at the end of his contract (that he still hasn't signed) though.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Don't think there's any chance in hell Leeds sack Bielsa if we come 14th. He might need to be persuaded not to walk away at the end of his contract (that he still hasn't signed) though.
For sure. Biesla could probably finish 20th and be fine.