How many players have you seen at Manchester United that you have left you awestruck?

Member 113277

Ones I saw.....

Best
Robson
Cantona
Schmeichel
Giggs
Beckham
Ruud
Ronaldo

I didn't see Denis Law until later in his career, when he was troubled by injuries, but I imagine he would have been awesome in his top days.

Decomposing In Paris

Tier 1: (lived in awe of)
Giggs
Ronaldo
Scholes

Tier 2: (Regularly in awe of what they could do)
Keane
Beckham
Pogba
Van Persie
Rooney
Van Nistrlrooy
Ibrahimovic
Cantona
Schmeichel
Stam
Vidic
Ferdinand

Potential:
Rashford
Greenwood
Martial
Fernandes

AaronRedDevil

Ronaldo,
De Gea
Vidic
Evra
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney(yes shut up)
And recently Fernandes. Early I know, but everything hes done has been brilliant to watch.

AFC NimbleThumb

Nani’s goal against Arsenal stands out in my mind.

I’m also still in awe when I see his thunderbolt vs Liverpool.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
In my time:

Giggs (FA cup semi-final replay, 7 years old, me and my dad gong equally mad)
Scholes (too many times to mention, probably the semi final goal v Barca the first that comes to mind)
Beckham (first ever game, he scores from the half-way line. Been in love ever since)
Ronaldo (Porto goal, debut, Fulham goal away in 06/07, freekick(s))
Rooney (debut, goal v Milan 06, goal for Newcastle first season, overhead goal v City... probably more individual moment that anyone else)
Berbatov (hat-trick v Pool, 5 v Blackburn)
Van Persie (that goal v Villa)

Chairman Steve

Michael Carrick stands out in my head, and how he managed to almost everywhere on the pitch and was almost always in the correct position to receive a pass and spot the next attacking pass. Amazing awareness and positional sense. Carrick is one of those players you never full appreciate until you see them live, as TV cameras basically follow the ball at all times with the goal almost being the ball always has to be at the centre of a recorded feed.

Member 113277

It's interesting how one define's awestruck. I don't have Roy Keane or Paul Scholes on my list as neither did things that those on the list did, e.g. George Best.

On the other hand, Keane and Scholes consistently delivered high class performances, whilst George (as much as I loved him and still think he's the most talented player I have seen) was hardly the measure of consistency and delivered his genius in spurts.

I loved watching Keane and Scholes and rate them very highly - they were drivers of success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven7290

maybe an unpopular opinion but in current time, Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Absolutely breathtaking defensive performances. I get all giddy and excited after each tackle he makes.

Sweet Square

Rio Ferdinand - When he went on that crazy run of not picking up a yellow card but really any time during his peak. So far he's easily been the best United defender I've ever seen.

Fitchett

Law, Best, Schmeichel, Giggs, Cantona, Beckham, Scholes, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Rooney, De Gea, Van Persie. Hopefully, a few more to follow soon.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's interesting how one define's awestruck. I don't have Roy Keane or Paul Scholes on my list as neither did things that those on the list did, e.g. George Best.

On the other hand, Keane and Scholes consistently delivered high class performances, whilst George (as much as I loved him and still think he's the most talented player I have seen) was hardly the measure of consistency and delivered his genius in spurts.

I loved watching Keane and Scholes and rate them very highly - they were drivers of success.
I remember watching Scholes live and was in awe at not only how the opposition couldn't get near him despite his physical limitations, not only how his technique on the ball blew me out of the water with his constant accuracy of incredible pass after incredible pass, as well as his close control under pressure, but how effortless he made it all look on top of that.

To me, that left me open mouthed as much as seeing the likes of Giggs and Ronaldo running at opposition. Just personal preference, i guess.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For me it's Giggs and no one else. At every stages of his career he was genuine pleasure to watch when young his pace and dribbling ablities were mesmerizing while the older version was technically spotless and unpredictable.
I got to see Giggsy once. It was worth every penny of the $400 some bucks I spent to do it.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
RVN - Made goalscoring look easy, and is still my favourite ever player
RVP- For his technique
Rooney - Young Rooney was a beast, shame the injury in 2010 led to his decline
Ronaldo - I wasn't exactly a fan, and still am not a huge fan of his, but starting from that game vs Fulham in 2006/07 to the end of his time here - he was on a different level
Vidic
Scholes
Rashford
Dave- Probably the only player watching whom I've had tears of pride in my eyes - and it was in that game vs Arsenal
Pretty sure Pogba(?), Bruno and AWB will join this list as well

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Giggs - the way he dribble left and right when he was still young, was breathtaking to watch

Cantona - the vision, the backheel, the charisma, the imagination, he was on completely different level to other players I've ever watched

Schmeichel - his one on ones, his shouts, and his throws, left me awestruck many times. He is the best keeper I've ever watched.

Stam - he won every header and and every ariel duel from my memory, he was a giant

Ronaldo - he was by far the most electrifying, and the most talented player I've ever watched in Old Trafford. And of course, the only GOAT I've watched who is from Man Utd.

De Gea - the few seasons when he made saves after saves after saves after saves to save our worst seasons. He was the best keeper in the world during that period.

Pogba - he wasn't popular among fans, but on his very fine days, he can do crazy things no other midfielder does

Last edited:

dalriada

Aside from the obvious ones, Crerand (via footage of course). Most of us admire Charlton, Best, Law from that era by default, but Paddy was a noteworthy player in his own right and delightful surprise in midfield while watching games from the '60s — boasting a potent blend of technique, precise passing ability, collective ethic, spatial awareness to always be available to passing opportunities, and so forth. Wouldn't look out of place in the modern game as a neat-and-tidy metronome — reckon his intelligence, knack for engineering line-breaking moves, tenacity and ability to think ahead would make up for the lack of remarkable athletic skills. Didn't score a whole lot of goals, but for whatever reason this one vs. Benfica always sticks out in my memory...
"God bless you, son" ... I think Paddy himself would say!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Going to try and stick to five across each decade I’ve watched also.

1. Bryan Robson he was like watching superman without the cape and tights.

2. Schmeichel. Redifined goalkeeping. His distribution at the time....even now. That’s before the fact he’s one of the top three goalies that’s ever lived.

3. Stam seemed to be able to do everything. When he’d pick the ball up and glide past players it was a joy to watch. You just felt secure with him in the side.

4. Ronaldo. I was at his debut. I’ve never been more excited about a player I’ve watched live than that day. Looked like becoming the best player in the world that day...which he duely did.

5. Scholes. He was always on another level in his head but he played half a game at the end of the season he had the eye problem....against Charlton I think and he was walking around....and they couldn’t get near him. Sheer class.

Current players.... Honourable mentions to Pogba. What a player. In a good side next to Bruno, well who’s not excited about that ? And Bruno himself. Biggest individual impact on the side since Eric?

Some of the names some people have mentioned....Really ? Awestruck ? I’m talking the best we’ve seen at the club.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Currently: Wan-Bissaka.

Never seen tackling of this caliber with such consistency from a lateral player.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
maybe an unpopular opinion but in current time, Aaron Wan-Bissaka. Absolutely breathtaking defensive performances. I get all giddy and excited after each tackle he makes.
Can understand this actually. He really is a standout defender. A lot of people go on about his attacking play but when/if we get back to playing at the highest level....his defensive ability will be invaluable against the best players. There’s an X factor about watching him keep denying players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I got to see Giggsy once. It was worth every penny of the $400 some bucks I spent to do it.
It's a bit different to what people will remember about Giggs but the free kick against Lille is an example of his brilliance, Giggs saw football differently.

At 1:20, it's not much but speed of thoughts amazed me.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Either in your own lifetime or via footage of them?

I'm not talking about good or even very good players - we've had loads of both - but those you would genuinely pay to watch play.
Ronaldo.
RVP.
Keane.

Seeing them live got me off my seat

Member 113277

I remember watching Scholes live and was in awe at not only how the opposition couldn't get near him despite his physical limitations, not only how his technique on the ball blew me out of the water with his constant accuracy of incredible pass after incredible pass, as well as his close control under pressure, but how effortless he made it all look on top of that.

To me, that left me open mouthed as much as seeing the likes of Giggs and Ronaldo running at opposition. Just personal preference, i guess.
You're absolutely right.

Steven7290

Can understand this actually. He really is a standout defender. A lot of people go on about his attacking play but when/if we get back to playing at the highest level....his defensive ability will be invaluable against the best players. There’s an X factor about watching him keep denying players.
He's deceptively fast and his recovering ability is also great to get back to positions he had no right to. His ice cool demeanour adds to that X factor as well.

But aside from him, the 2 french players when they can be arsed.

always_hoping

Plenty names mentioned there I'd agree with but one name not mentioned so far (unless I missed it) was Mark Hughes.

His skill, ability to hold up the ball under pressure and bring others into play was something else and he was a scorer of some great goals.

TheLord

Only the following five in the Premier League era (in random order)

1. Giggs
2. Cantona
3. De Gea (first few seasons only)
4. Keane
5. Ronaldo

youngrell

Giggs and Ronaldo, for obvious reasons. You could tell when they had the ball at OT just through the noise of seats folding up as people stood.

Scholes, watching him from the upper tiers was such a joy, it was like he had his teammates and the opponents on strings and just pulled the whole game whichever direction he wanted.

Rooney. Such a force and great technique at his peak.

Plenty of others from watching on TV.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The obvious ones like Ronaldo and Giggs. Then Scholes, Cantona, Stam, and Carrick on his later years. The current bunch are Pogba (on his day) and of course Mr. Bruno.

davidmichael

Ronaldo and Giggs are the obvious ones but Lee Sharpe was one from when I was a kid just prior to Giggs and I remember his hat trick against Arsenal in the League Cup as well as performances in the Cup Winners Cup.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
It wasn't any particularly awesome piece of skill, just the way it happened - but Rashford's two opening games for United. To have some 18 year old, completely unknown as far as the media were concerned, and seen as only there in desperation because we'd run out of players, then pop up with 2 goals in each of his opening games, with the second game being against an old enemy.
It was quite a moment. (Or set of moments I guess.)

MrSingh2002

Ronaldo looked more like a machine or an aeroplane than a human compared to the other players on the pitch.

Rio Ferdinand how his passing and touch was so effortless.

Scholes and Rooney's passing range and how they could control the tempo of a match. Watching them in the warm ups was often the best bit seeing their perfect passing.

Also seeing a peak Evra have some flawless games at home was impressive and made me appreciate his quality more.

Pogba's debut vs Southampton was incredible. A serious showcase of his talent and also Virgil Van Dykes. Can't believe we didn't sign him following that game.

Oppositon players that impressed me the most over the years were RVP and a young Wilshere at Arsenal. Glad we signed RVP when we did and it was a shame Wilshere never applied himself/had luck with injuries as he was a good midfield catalyst for Arsenal.

Untd55

Nani v Arsenal 2008/2009 (Can't quite remember) - I felt certain he was going to be a 3rd place challenger in the Balon d'or. Unfortunately, it didn't end up that way.

204Red

Nani v Arsenal 2008/2009 (Can't quite remember) - I felt certain he was going to be a 3rd place challenger in the Balon d'or. Unfortunately, it didn't end up that way.
I think you mean 09/10... but I agree. There was an 18 month spell in there where Nani was doing things on the ball no-one else was doing... spectacular at times, but consistently effective. Unfortunately somewhere in the 11/12 season he faded back to being regular Nani and the magic (though still there) came out far less often.

jimsonweed

peak mark hughes, im still in awe of the winning goal he scored against barca in rotterdam.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ronaldo and Giggs are the obvious ones but Lee Sharpe was one from when I was a kid just prior to Giggs and I remember his hat trick against Arsenal in the League Cup as well as performances in the Cup Winners Cup.
yeah his breakout season in 1990 was awesome. He was a mixture of raw pace and technique, very similar to Bale. There were games that season he was unplayable

John Keiler

One of our great unsung heros is Mr Crerand. He is probably the best 'enforcer' I ever saw play and was hard as nails. When George was younger he took it on himself to 'protect' him from being kicked off the field too often. I remember him taking out 'Chopper' Harris at one game [who had just tried to break George's legs] and Harris wandering around in a daze and limping for the rest of the game.

He was also very polite to me when I asked him for his autograph in 1968, and he did say 'there you goes son' :)

Apart from that, Best, Law, Ronaldo, Schmeichel, Cantona - the usual suspects!