How many players will leave this summer?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seems around this time every year we think they'll be a mass exodus of players but it never quite happens but this summer might well be different

Out of contract
Lingard - almost zero chance of him staying. May even effectively end his time with us in the next few days
Pogba - if he was going to resign you'd imagine he would of by now
Mata - it was seemingly a tough sell to get him to stay this season where he's played even less than last. He'll surely leave to actually play some games in what's left of his career
Cavani - another one who was a tough sell to keep here for this season. Highly unlikely he'll stay for a 3rd year

Players currently out on loan
Andreas
- one we've been trying to move on permanently for a while now. Reports were the team he's with at the moment do actually want to keep him unlike the others
Martial - leaving for Sevilla today, guess our ability to sell him depends on how he performs

Players who want to leave
Henderson
- would imagine we'd be looking at a loan here rather than a sale as as much as he wants to leave to play he seemingly does still have eyes on being our future number 1
Bailly - has wanted to leave for a while now
VDB - another who has seemingly wanted to leave for a while now after 2 seasons of pretty much zero football
Ronaldo - might be a bit of a stretch this one but if we have no UCL football next season would he stick around to play in the Europa or even worse Conference leagues?

Players who will have 1 year left on their contracts
Jones
- I feel at this point he'll likely stay and see his contract out, may depend on Bailly
Matic - another I feel will likely just see his last year out

So going through the above I think there's probably a very good chance that at least 8 players will leave and that's not counting any youth players like Tuanzebe, Garner etc. Could be quite the clear out

JB7

All in all a rather excellent time for a new manager to take over then really given there is a great chance that 8-10 players they will likely have no interest in using will be leaving.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Wonder which crazy contracts will we hand out this year? Will things change on that front?

i genuinely think if we replaced the players who didn’t want to be here with young hardworking lads from the academy and elsewhere we’d be a much tighter unit. Everyone trying to prove a point and outwork each other. Biggest positions for me to fill long term are playmaker and striker.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Ronaldo
Pogba
Cavani
Martial
Lingard
Mata
Van De Beek
Pereira
Bailly

Wage bill is gonna be much healthier.

charlenefan

All in all a rather excellent time for a new manager to take over then really given there is a great chance that 8-10 players they will likely have no interest in using will be leaving.
I agree, the term deadwood has been used to describe our squad for a number of years now and while some will remain (Jones probably) it'll be much better than it has been

charlenefan

Ronaldo
Pogba
Cavani
Martial
Lingard
Mata
Van De Beek
Pereira
Bailly

Wage bill is gonna be much healthier.
You think Ronaldo will go then? Is that regardless of whether we finish top 4?

Varane around town

I can’t see Ronaldo leaving. He’s been on our better players and I’m most certainly not a ‘Ronaldo is the problem truther’ I just don’t see another team shelling out for Ronaldo at his age.

I thin all the out of contract players will be off and the only one I’ll be genuinely sorry to see leave is Cavani. I’d be doing everything I could to try and keep him.

I’d be happy to see the back of Henderson, I don’t like the cut of his jib and I don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as he thinks.

I completely understand Bailly wanting to move on but I VDB would be wise to wait and see if Ten Hag gets the job full time.

Jones & Matic- both need to move on but whose going to buy?

Raw

Probably at least 8. The squad is massively bloated, it really needs clearing.

Definites: Lingard, Pereira, Cavani, Pogba
Probable: Mata, Martial, Henderson
Depending on CL: Ronaldo

Think VDB might want to stay and see the manager situation, and I imagine the club will want to keep him if no serious offers come in.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Ronaldo is an interesting one - I agree he won't want to stay to play in the Europa League or conference, but on the other hand I'm not sure which Champions League side can match his wages here.

Will he take a dramatic wage cut to play for a team just because they are in the competition, even when they almost certainly won't be a favourite to win it?

Bayern won't go for him, PSG could've gone for him in the summer but didn't, Liverpool and City are unlikely to go for him; maybe Chelsea? Not sure there are any other realistic candidates to win the competition, unless can he get himself back to Real Madrid for a season or two?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree with anywhere from about 6 to 10.

Definitely:
Lingard; Cavani; Pereira; Pogba

Probably:
Martial; Mata; van De Beek; Henderson

Possibly:
Matic; Bailly; Ronaldo

Wonder which crazy contracts will we hand out this year? Will things change on that front?
Bruno's probably going to get parity with our higher earners like Pogba/Rashford this summer, but probably still under Ronaldo/De Gea. Ornstein said all parties are relaxed but expect it to be picked up again at the end of the season.

Lemon Moon

I expect Ronaldo, Donny, Bailly & Henderson to stay. The rest I'm happy will be moving on.

Bwuk

From the first team squad listed on the website, I think the following will either leave this window, or in the summer;

Grant, Henderson, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Andreas, Pellistri, Matic, Donny, Martial, Cavani, Chong.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Wait, Pereira's still on our books!?!?! Thought we sold him.

Yes: lingard, Mata, Pereira, Cavani, Pogba
Maybe: Matic, Martial, Bailly, Williams, DVB, Henderson, Tuanzebe

I reckon 7/8 who are regular squad players will go. A good cleanout if we do

Born2Lose

Said this all along, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if United are stupid enough to give Pogba what he wants before the end of the season.

As much as I love Ole, if he was still around I'd be worried about Mata getting another contract but with RR thankfully I don't see that happening.

wolvored

We wont have a massive exodus.
Out of contract - Lingard Pogba Mata Cavani
These four definitely.
Players currently out on loan - Periera Martial.
Periera will go. Martial will probably stay if he is shit at Seville, as no one will pay what Utd would want for him. If he plays well, Utd wont want to sell him and hold him to his contract.
I reckon Bailley will be allowed to go from the ones that want to leave. If we finish lower than fourth then Ronaldo as well.
So six, maybe seven if we fail top four to leave, and four to come in.

-Supreme-

It’s mind boggling that those players listed by the OP earn a combined wage of around £2m a week / £100m a year, only Ronaldo has been our first team regular this season and none of them will be missed if they are gone.

Mylock

I can see the following leaving Lingard; Cavani; Pereira; Pogba, Mata; Henderson, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Matic; Chong, van De Beek (dependant on new manager decision) Jones (if he stays fit and we can get a buyer). 12 total to leave.

Ranchero

Crazy to let him go. 16 games for West Ham. Nine goals. Four assists and two man of the match performances. He had to be given a chance after that. But wasnt.

Gandalf

Crazy to let him go. 16 games for West Ham. Nine goals. Four assists and two man of the match performances. He had to be given a chance after that. But wasnt.
Well to be honest he was never getting in the side in place of Bruno and so that only left the wide attacking positions for which there is a ton of competition and where he has never had much success. He was offered a new contract in September as well and turned it down so from that point I am fairly sure the clubs attitude was that he was leaving anyway so no point playing him unless we are short.

charlenefan

We wont have a massive exodus.
Out of contract - Lingard Pogba Mata Cavani
These four definitely.
Players currently out on loan - Periera Martial.
Periera will go. Martial will probably stay if he is shit at Seville, as no one will pay what Utd would want for him. If he plays well, Utd wont want to sell him and hold him to his contract.
I reckon Bailley will be allowed to go from the ones that want to leave. If we finish lower than fourth then Ronaldo as well.
So six, maybe seven if we fail top four to leave, and four to come in.
I would consider 7 first team players to be a mass exodus when compared to most summers

alexthelion

200+ for United and nothing much to show for it.

Which sample do you think should be used to judge his level of play?

Onerealunited

Difficult one and very much dependent on new coach. But based on historic performance and more than one coachs lack of selection I believe below players would definitely (and rightfully should) leave the club permanently latest this summer:

1. Grant. Free (continue as GK coaching)
2. Mata. Free (continue as club ambassador)
3. Pogba. Free
4. Lingard. Free
5. Cavani. Free (to South America)
6. Chong. Free
7. Tuanzebe. To be sold
8. Pereira. To be sold

there is a big risk and probability that the rest of the players will stay or only be able to go out on loan

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hard time seeing any of the following staying:
  • Henderson
  • Bailly
  • Mata
  • Pereira
  • Matic
  • Van de beek
  • Lingard
  • Martial
  • Ronaldo
  • Cavani

RuudTom83

Let that bunch go.
Promote a few more kids from the academy.
Let the new manager add 2-3 players.

That would be a very healthy situation to start next season.

If United can finish Top 4 this season as well then happy days ahead.

sparx99

Difficult one and very much dependent on new coach. But based on historic performance and more than one coachs lack of selection I believe below players would definitely (and rightfully should) leave the club permanently latest this summer:

1. Grant. Free (continue as GK coaching)
2. Mata. Free (continue as club ambassador)
3. Pogba. Free
4. Lingard. Free
5. Cavani. Free (to South America)
6. Chong. Free
7. Tuanzebe. To be sold
8. Pereira. To be sold

there is a big risk and probability that the rest of the players will stay or only be able to go out on loan
I think Tuanzebe stays and we sell Bailly unless we decide that Mengi is ready to be 4th choice centre back.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lingard (Contract)
Mata (Contract)
Cavani (Contract)
Pogba (Contract)
Grant (Contract)
Henderson (Sold)
Andreas (Sold)
Bailly (Sold)
AWB (Sold)
Van de Beek (Sold)
Martial (Sold)

------------------------------------

My Stobz big twist of the summer is that Rangnick gets CL Semi FA Cup win and 4th, we give him his 2 years consultancy as a Head Coach role instead. Gets shafted on transfers (does manage to get a new CM in) and has to enter the new season with:

de Gea
Heaton
Kovar/Mastny

Williams
Shaw
Laird
Dalot
Maguire
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Varane
Jones
Mengi

Fred
McTominay
Matic
Bruno Fernandes
Hannibal
New CM

Rashford
Sancho
Elanga
Greenwood
Ronaldo
Amad

frutti di mare

It’s the perfect opportunity to cut some fat from our squad and streamline things but the scary thing is we will also lose players that we most definitely don’t want to lose and will be worse off for losing unless if we do something amazing in the window. Something amazing will also at the time appear to be crap, disappointing and maybe even ridiculed by rival fans.

But my honest belief is that if we lose Pogba, VDB, Martial, Bailey, Cavani we won’t get better by signing galaticos, bear in mind signing any crap won’t help either. But it’ll really be about making signings that are like SAF signing Vidic or CR7 aged 18, Leicester signing Mahrez/Kante, Pool signing Salah etc

Seij

Seems around this time every year we think they'll be a mass exodus of players but it never quite happens but this summer might well be different

Out of contract
Lingard
- almost zero chance of him staying. May even effectively end his time with us in the next few days
Mata - it was seemingly a tough sell to get him to stay this season where he's played even less than last. He'll surely leave to actually play some games in what's left of his career
Cavani - another one who was a tough sell to keep here for this season. Highly unlikely he'll stay for a 3rd year

Andreas
- one we've been trying to move on permanently for a while now. Reports were the team he's with at the moment do actually want to keep him unlike the others
Martial - leaving for Sevilla today, guess our ability to sell him depends on how he performs

Henderson
- would imagine we'd be looking at a loan here rather than a sale as as much as he wants to leave to play he seemingly does still have eyes on being our future number 1
VDB - another who has seemingly wanted to leave for a while now after 2 seasons of pretty much zero football
Ronaldo - might be a bit of a stretch this one but if we have no UCL football next season would he stick around to play in the Europa or even worse Conference leagues?

Jones
- I feel at this point he'll likely stay and see his contract out, may depend on Bailly

So going through the above I think there's probably a very good chance that at least 8 players will leave and that's not counting any youth players like Tuanzebe, Garner etc. Could be quite the clear out
Players leaving: Lingard (free agent), Pogba (free agent), Cavani (free agent), Martial (transfer), Henderson (transfer), Bailly (transfer), VDB (transfer)

Players going on a loan: Pereira (probably for 1 more year before his contract expires in 2023)

Players staying: Matic (will see his contract out), Mata (likely getting yet another renewal because nice guy), Jones (likely seeing out his contract)

Ronaldo: Depends on Champions League next season or not. Zero chance Mr. CL is staying if we don't make top 4.

cyril C

Out of contract
Lingard
- almost zero chance of him staying. May even effectively end his time with us in the next few days

Andreas

Henderson

Jones

yes, apart from VDB and a little bit on Henderson, no regret. Let nature take its course, move on.

p.s. champagne on Jones, if we can get any money this summer.

wolvored

I would consider 7 first team players to be a mass exodus when compared to most summers
Yes, under normal circumstances1 or 2 would leave. Some are saying up to 10 could leave and was basing a mass exodus on around that figure. I dont think Utd will let that many go. The definite 4 out of contract will go as Utd have no control, and I would expect the normal 1or 2 to go as well.

Onerealunited

Yes, under normal circumstances1 or 2 would leave. Some are saying up to 10 could leave and was basing a mass exodus on around that figure. I dont think Utd will let that many go. The definite 4 out of contract will go as Utd have no control, and I would expect the normal 1or 2 to go as well.
I tend to agree with you but United has 6 people out of contract and all of them are almost pretty sure to leave the club. In addition, I don’t see Andreas Pereira continuing at the club. So the minimum amount is easily 7 people which is a big number based on our historical departures and you know what? It is neeses

Zlatattack

I think the only ones i'd want to keep are Pogba, Ronaldo, VDB and Henderson.

Let the rest go, they contribute next to nothing. I think of the 4, Pogba probably will go, but I was hoping he'd stay.

VDB should be upto the next manager, I suspect he'll want to go out on loan and try his luck next season before deciding.

cyril C

I tend to agree with you but United has 6 people out of contract and all of them are almost pretty sure to leave the club. In addition, I don’t see Andreas Pereira continuing at the club. So the minimum amount is easily 7 people which is a big number based on our historical departures and you know what? It is neeses
Then, would you consider departure of Mata, Jones, Pereira are LONG OVERDUE?

lex talionis

Quite a few, which makes the job of managing United all the more enticing to prospective applicants such as Ten Hag. It wouldn’t exactly be a clean slate, but with possibly 8-10 players — possibly more if you consider the possibility of a few players like AWB wanting to reboot their career- leaving the new manager will have a chance to instantly mold the new squad. Massive opportunity, but we need to settle terms with the new manager soon, keeping it private of course, so that he can hit the ground at a full sprint the day after our season ends and gets us sorted out in time first the beginning of training.