How many players will leave this summer?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A clearout is mooted every year, but just the 6 senior players that have already gone is the biggest one we've seen in yonks. And presumably plenty of others to go?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Confirmed departures

Senior team
Matic (31) - released
Cavani (21) - released
Grant (13) - retired
Pogba (6) - released
Lingard (14) - released
Mata (8) - released

U23
Woolston - retired
McShane (36) - retired
Mellor - released

U18
Polakowski (76) - released
What was the story with Paul McShane? 36 yet messing about in our U23s team!?

Gopher Brown

What was the story with Paul McShane? 36 yet messing about in our U23s team!?
Brought in as player coach last summer. I mean, you could easily have found that information using your favourite search engine.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Brought in as player coach last summer. I mean, you could easily have found that information using your favourite search engine.
I thought i'd give someone the platform to show their exceptional knowledge. Well done.

meninred

Potentially you can let atleast 11 players go ( basically a whole team )

henderson

w bissaka bailly Jones b willians

matic pogba mata

lingaard cavani martial

sub pereira..tuanzebe

LoneStar

I feel AWB, Baily and Jones are also likely to leave. That‘s 9 senior players already damn. If it happens, this has to be one of our biggest clearouts surely?

Revaulx

So not the 100m some posters think we'll manage to pull in :lol:
Henderson should bring in a decent fee; Bailly a reasonable one. Tuanzebe, Chong, Pereira, Williams should all at least have a value, if not a lot. Maybe £65-70m between them; that’s two thirds of £100m and better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.

Jones we might as well keep; he can keep Varane company in the treatment room. There’s talk of a loan for AWB and I can’t see how we could get a fee for Martial.

Cafer007

henderson (30)

w bissaka(20) bailly(20) Jones b willians(5)

matic pogba mata

lingaard cavani martial (25)

sub pereira(10)..tuanzebe(15)
It's a shame we still got another 8 players can be sold with out a thought as we cant go anywhere with these lot.

We could get 125M on these players which cab be wisely invested too. If we add Dalot(15)+|Tells(15) means 155M in total

Reddevildans

I feel AWB, Baily and Jones are also likely to leave. That‘s 9 senior players already damn. If it happens, this has to be one of our biggest clearouts surely?
Jones has been earmarked to leave for ages. Yet never leaves or sold. Cant see him leaving this summer as well. Nobody seems interested. He will probably leave for free at the end of the contract. Shocking mismanagement.

LoneStar

Jones has been earmarked to leave for ages. Yet never leaves or sold. Cant see him leaving this summer as well. Nobody seems interested. He will probably leave for free at the end of the contract. Shocking mismanagement.
If he wants to play football, he needs to leave (possibly on reduced wages). I think it comes down to that. There is little chance he is getting game time under ETH, especially if we sign Timber or another defender.

Bestietom

Well we know that 6 are out of contract.
Then there is some not wanted and put up for sale.
Others have asked to go.
Thats a lot in one transfer window.
We need to bring in at least 6 new players and then promote some youngsters to the squad.

Last edited:

diarm

It's a shame we still got another 8 players can be sold with out a thought as we cant go anywhere with these lot.

We could get 125M on these players which cab be wisely invested too. If we add Dalot(15)+|Tells(15) means 155M in total
I would be stunned if we made 70m in sales this summer.

Nobody is giving us what people seem to think they will for these players. Henderson is the only player we have a hope in fetching any serious (20m+) money for.

Bestietom

I would be stunned if we made 70m in sales this summer.

Nobody is giving us what people seem to think they will for these players. Henderson is the only player we have a hope in fetching any serious (20m+) money for.
Martial, Bailly, Henderson, Wan Bissaka, Teles, Tuanzebe, Jones, and possibly some others will fetch more than 75million.

Josep Dowling

Name them. The only one that may be kept is Teles and if he is then Williams will be sold.
I reckon all will stay except Henderson. There is a reason we can’t shift them. All on stupid inflated contracts they cannot achieve elsewhere, hence they stay. Do you see someone paying Martial £200k a week?

Mickson

Name the clubs willing to part money for them beyond the one Newcastle link for Hendo
Tuanzebe is rumored to go to Brighton, I can see some teams going for him. Bailly will probably end up in Serie A, and will definitely have his suitors. Henderson will be pushing for a move and plenty of clubs want him I imagine. I think Jones will be pushing too. Martial will be difficult to sell. Telles ís 50/50 IMO.

Bestietom

I reckon all will stay except Henderson. There is a reason we can’t shift them. All on stupid inflated contracts they cannot achieve elsewhere, hence they stay. Do you see someone paying Martial £200k a week?
There is a few clubs interested in Wan Bissaka and Bailly. Henderson is wanted by Newcastle. Tuanzebe is wanted by Brighton. Teles is wanted by Porto. Martial may be hard to get rid of unless he is willing to take a pay cut now that WC is this year and he wants to get into squad.

van Nistelrooy

It's been a positive start to the much needed clearout, but I think we're giving the hierarchy too much credit so far.

Don't forget that we had contracts on the table for both Pogba and Lingard. I'm sure if either player had a change of heart in the last few weeks, we would have signed them to long-term deals. The likes of Cavani, Grant, Mata etc were always leaving at the end of their contracts.

If we move the likes of: Henderson, AWB, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Pereria, Martial out of the club permanetly, then that would be a real step in the right direction.

Cafer007

It's been a positive start to the much needed clearout, but I think we're giving the hierarchy too much credit so far.

Don't forget that we had contracts on the table for both Pogba and Lingard. I'm sure if either player had a change of heart in the last few weeks, we would have signed them to long-term deals. The likes of Cavani, Grant, Mata etc were always leaving at the end of their contracts.

If we move the likes of: Henderson, AWB, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Pereria, Martial out of the club permanetly, then that would be a real step in the right direction.
If we add Telles, Dalot, Williams to the list means 10 players are surplus on top pf 6 already left, do we really need to shipout these many?

Can we improve any of these and use them instrad of buying new ones

Josep Dowling

There is a few clubs interested in Wan Bissaka and Bailly. Henderson is wanted by Newcastle. Tuanzebe is wanted by Brighton. Teles is wanted by Porto. Martial may be hard to get rid of unless he is willing to take a pay cut now that WC is this year and he wants to get into squad.
Interest and them actually leaving is two different things. Jones had a loan offer to Bordeaux in January and turned it down because he was happy to sit on the bench taking home his ridiculous wage rather than challenge himself.

The only link I’ve seen for AWB is a loan deal to Palace. The club isn’t going to be happy with that deal. Bailly’s injury record will mean very few clubs will take a chance on him. Martial will only go on loan because of his wages. None of these options brings money into the club for more players.

diarm

Martial, Bailly, Henderson, Wan Bissaka, Teles, Tuanzebe, Jones, and possibly some others will fetch more than 75million.
Jones will fetch nothing. Martial will cost us money to get rid of after his Sevilla debacle.

The best case scenario for Bailly is that we can use him in a player exchange for Pau Torres, otherwise we're looking at 15-20m with his injury record.

Telles and Tuanzebe will go for small money if they go at all.

Wan-Bissaka and Henderson are the best two hopes we have for a decent return and 50m (combined) is the upper limit there really.

Last edited:

Ollie Derbyshire

Wouldn’t be surprised if apart for ones who have left due to contracts exporting the only others ones to go will be on loans.

ThanksBoss26

Wouldn’t be surprised if apart for ones who have left due to contracts exporting the only others ones to go will be on loans.
This feels possible unfortunately particularly if most still remain towards the end of the window.

I still reckon it'll end up a pretty big clearout including young fringe players.

Think the majority of Henderson, Wan Bissaka, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Telles (or Williams), Pereira, Martial and Chong will all move on. Levitt, Bernard, Bishop and Galbraith are probably of the age where they fancy first team football too having gotten a taste last season.

hobbers

Scary thing is even with the 6 confirmed gone and assuming Greenwood is gone as well, with all the duds coming back from loan we still have 26 players on the books aged 21 or over.

Ollie Derbyshire

This feels possible unfortunately particularly if most still remain towards the end of the window.

I still reckon it'll end up a pretty big clearout including young fringe players.

Think the majority of Henderson, Wan Bissaka, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Telles (or Williams), Pereira, Martial and Chong will all move on. Levitt, Bernard, Bishop and Galbraith are probably of the age where they fancy first team football too having gotten a taste last season.
I hope you’re right but knowing us I think you’ll be disappointed.

cyril C

henderson

w bissaka bailly Jones b willians

matic pogba mata

lingaard cavani martial

sub pereira..tuanzebe
And Green as keeper sub. Plus a CEO, 2 scouts, 2 coaches, so an entire team, front and back.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My prediction:

Martial - no one is interested in him. We may have to pay off like 15-25m to terminate his contract.

Bailly - we may sell him for 10m hopefully

Henderson - we may sell him for 20-30m hopefully

Wan Bissala - we may sell him for 20-25m hopefully

Telles - we may sell him for 10m hopefully

Jones - He won’t leave as he is still under contract and content to stay on bench forever. At best he would leave for free for another club for 1st team football.

At best we could raise 60-75m and save another 30m in per year wage bill.

Last edited:

Greck

The clear out is good but its significance is probably tad overhyped. Most of these players have been out of the first team for ages so it's more bench refresh than team reboot. More curious about what ETH will do with the deadwood and overhyped talents festering about the starting xi over the next 3 years.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I feel like it’s more important to get some of the expensive deadwood off the wage bill than anything else.

Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata and Cavani saves over a million a week on wages. Disgusting but (probably) true.

Not getting to the Champions League apparently also reduces the remaining players’ wages. Hopefully we can get a bit of structure back to the salaries.

Bestietom

My prediction:

Martial - no one is interested in him. We may have to pay off like 15-25m to terminate his contract.

Bailly - we may sell him for 10m hopefully

Henderson - we may sell him for 20-30m hopefully

Wan Bissala - we may sell him for 20-25m hopefully

Telles - we may sell him for 10m hopefully

Jones - He won’t leave as he is still under contract and content to stay on bench forever. At best he would leave for free for another club for 1st team football.

At best we could raise 60-75m and save another 30m in per year wage bill.
Fair enough, but some could fetch a little more. Then there is Tuanzebe, Williams, Pellestri, Amad.

Onerealunited

Updated 06-06-2022

Confirmed departures

Senior team
Matic (31) - released
Cavani (21) - released
Grant (13) - retired
Pogba (6) - released
Lingard (14) - released
Mata (8) - released

U23
Woolston (?) - retired
McShane (62) - retired
Mellor (?) - released
Svidersky (68) - released

U18
Polakowski (76) - released

In parantheses you have the players shirt number

Seij

Jones will fetch nothing. Martial will cost us money to get rid of after his Sevilla debacle.

The best case scenario for Bailly is that we can use him in a player exchange for Pau Torres, otherwise we're looking at 15-20m with his injury record.

Telles and Tuanzebe will go for small money if they go at all.

Wan-Bissaka and Henderson are the best two hopes we have for a decent return and 50m (combined) is the upper limit there really.
I don't see Jones leaving anyway. He had years to ask to leave and never did. He had a chance to go to France and prove he's not done yet, which would've increased his chance of getting a good contract at another club, yet refused it to stay home. I feel like he doesn't trust his own body anymore and is waiting to run his contract down so that he can retire after. I'm guessing he probably has a loyalty bonus in his contract as well.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Genuinely can't wait to see the back of some of these players. Not even anything personal for most of them, they're just a symptom of the club's hopelessness at squad building and it creates a bad feeling around the club.

I do think the quality of Pogba and Cavani needs replacing, but hopefully with younger, fitter players that suit the manager. A RB and ideally a bruising DM as well and we wouldn't be in bad shape. Certainly wouldn't sniff at a pacy, composed CB either though.

frostbite

Martial, Bailly, Jones will be here next year because no one else will pay their wages.

Wan Bissaka, Teles will be here next year because they can still play a role (and no one else will pay their wages).