How many players will leave this summer?

RkkMan

Martial, Bailly, Jones will be here next year because no one else will pay their wages.

Wan Bissaka, Teles will be here next year because they can still play a role (and no one else will pay their wages).
You have to factor in the players' wages have been cut by 25% due to no CL football so it's certainly not high enough to deter decent level clubs from buying them.
AC Milan almost signed Bailly in January and were willing to pay his wages but Utd refused to sell. Bailly has also wanted out for close to 2yrs now so he may probably accept a small wage cut simply because he's sick of being at Utd. Nobody will pay Martial's wages for sure hence why a loan deal will happen rather than a permanent like how Chelsea loan out Bakayoko every year. Jones stays I agree but it won't affect our transfer plans.
I do think Telles stays not because he has a role but because so many players(including Williams) are leaving and I don't see him being on that list till next year at least. I also think Alvaro Fernandez will be promoted so we'll have 3 LB options. Wan Bissaka however will leave 100% the moment Ten Hag came here the entire Utd media has reported that he's been told he won't be part of Ten Hag's plans whereas Dalot is. His wages also won't be an issue he was on around 70-80k before the 25% cut so he's probably within the 60k a week range now which is more than affordable to Crystal Palace who are in the market for a young RB and who have paid close to £60m for Benteke and Sakho in the past.
Believe it or not some of our players ARE sellable assets despite what you've been made to believe

GoldanoGraham

The 6 that are definitely leaving will equate to £45m a year in salaries - this is the most significant number when it comes to financing as the players transfer values are written down (depreciated) in each year of their contract while the salaries remain the same.

Therefore from an accounting point of view we no longer value the players asset value but hold the salary costs.

It’s the salary costs that ultimately count towards what our budget will be. Of course, if we can sell someone during their contract then we realise some value in the asset while also reducing the salary costs.

If we sign a player for say £80m then we will probably pay it in instalments over several years - say £30m year 1, £30m year 2 and then the balance in year 3. So from an accounting point of view we are only paying £30m from the off - while we put an £80m asset initially on our books and carry a debt forward to the next year - while then depreciating that asset the next year anyway.

Importantly though - the salary goes straight in from day 1.

If we can shift a couple more players - Henderson being the one who is the most likely/costly then that would have a very beneficial effect on our accounts for player budgeting.

Our biggest elephant in the room though is Martial. He is on £250k a week and I’m sure we would now give him away to get that salary off of our books but looks very unlikely anyone is going to take him.

Salaries are key to how many players we can buy.

GoldanoGraham

You have to factor in the players' wages have been cut by 25% due to no CL football so it's certainly not high enough to deter decent level clubs from buying them.
AC Milan almost signed Bailly in January and were willing to pay his wages but Utd refused to sell. Bailly has also wanted out for close to 2yrs now so he may probably accept a small wage cut simply because he's sick of being at Utd. Nobody will pay Martial's wages for sure hence why a loan deal will happen rather than a permanent like how Chelsea loan out Bakayoko every year. Jones stays I agree but it won't affect our transfer plans.
I do think Telles stays not because he has a role but because so many players(including Williams) are leaving and I don't see him being on that list till next year at least. I also think Alvaro Fernandez will be promoted so we'll have 3 LB options. Wan Bissaka however will leave 100% the moment Ten Hag came here the entire Utd media has reported that he's been told he won't be part of Ten Hag's plans whereas Dalot is. His wages also won't be an issue he was on around 70-80k before the 25% cut so he's probably within the 60k a week range now which is more than affordable to Crystal Palace who are in the market for a young RB and who have paid close to £60m for Benteke and Sakho in the past.
Believe it or not some of our players ARE sellable assets despite what you've been made to believe
I can guarantee that most players won’t be down 25%…….if we said that we reduced your salary by 25% (for accounting purposes) - then we would be giving most back in another performance/bonus kick back somehow that just appears in another section of the accounts.

Don’t forget we’ve been run by accountants for years and they know exactly how to flannel up the costs to make it appear we are negating a loss of CL revenue.

RkkMan

I can guarantee that most players won’t be down 25%…….if we said that we reduced your salary by 25% (for accounting purposes) - then we would be giving most back in another performance/bonus kick back somehow that just appears in another section of the accounts.

Don’t forget we’ve been run by accountants for years and they know exactly how to flannel up the costs to make it appear we are negating a loss of CL revenue.
Well accountants(cough cough Ed Woodward and Matt Judge) aren't the ones in charge of our football operations this time so you'd imagine some things will change.
The bonuses you're talking about only come in when CL football qualification is hit. I read an Athletic Article and it said that Pogba was the only player whom the 25% cut rule didn't apply to but everyone else does receive a PAY CUT with no secret bonuses etc.

GoldanoGraham

Well accountants(cough cough Ed Woodward and Matt Judge) aren't the ones in charge of our football operations this time so you'd imagine some things will change.
The bonuses you're talking about only come in when CL football qualification is hit. I read an Athletic Article and it said that Pogba was the only player whom the 25% cut rule didn't apply to but everyone else does receive a PAY CUT with no secret bonuses etc.
Woody and Judge have gone but their impact will be felt yet for a few more years until everyone’s contract has been recycled.

As for Pay cuts - while a 25% salary reduction may be installed on the face of it this season I can assure you that all the big earners will have kickbacks in their contracts.

Do you think that supposed top players will have accepted an interim manager with a motley crew of inexperienced coaches and that they just downed tools for the season knowing they would be getting a 25% pay cut?

A deferral maybe but they won’t lose out. Unfortunately. And Bruno got a pay rise.

RkkMan

Woody and Judge have gone but their impact will be felt yet for a few more years until everyone’s contract has been recycled.

As for Pay cuts - while a 25% salary reduction may be installed on the face of it this season I can assure you that all the big earners will have kickbacks in their contracts.

Do you think that supposed top players will have accepted an interim manager with a motley crew of inexperienced coaches and that they just downed tools for the season knowing they would be getting a 25% pay cut?

A deferral maybe but they won’t lose out. Unfortunately. And Bruno got a pay rise.
Their attitude is extremely rotten to the core. It's clear they downed their tools on the season since the 5-0 loss to Liverpool so it's very possible the money didn't matter much as they're still earning a healthy amount even with a cut.
Your logic on high earners applies with players like Ronaldo, De Gea, Rashford, Bruno who were never leaving anyway(however I suspect Ronaldo and De Gea leave next year). Someone like AWB/Bailly are on less than 100k a week are neither a high earners nor a big figures in the dressing room for such a logic to apply.
Ten Hag was apparently consulted about Bruno's new contract and endorsed it.

The Uncle of All Uncles

I feel like if the club actually wanted to eject all the hangers-on and useless players that have been amassed over the past number of years, then, factoring in the likelihood of having to cut prices (down to free transfers maybe, just to get them off the books) as well as the heavy subsidizing of wages to make up for any shortfall in the contracts, then Utd would be looking at setting aside 100-200m in essentially negative transfers. Maybe even a lot more than that! Just to clear house!!

Crazy, isn't it? I mean it's totally mad! Imagine spending a few hundred million just to get rid of players, never mind bringing anyone in.

Thank you Ed Woodward!

Onerealunited

Updated 10-06-2022

Confirmed departures

Senior team
Matic (31) - released
Cavani (21) - released
Grant (13) - retired
Pogba (6) - released
Lingard (14) - released
Mata (8) - released

U23
Woolston ( ) - retired
McShane (62) - retired
Mellor ( ) - released
Svidersky (68) - released
Devine ( )
Stanley ( )

U18
Polakowski (76) - released

In parantheses you have the players shirt number

Sparky Rhiwabon

Letting players go at the end of their contract is one thing, the real test will be whether we can get decent fees for the unwanted in-contract players

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apart from Henderson (who is the easiest of the potential outgoings to get offers for) there doesn't seem to be any strong links to anyone else leaving as of yet. I've seen it tweeted multiple times that we are happy to accept offers for Bailly, Jones, and Tuanzebe but there clearly doesn't seem to be any real interest so far. A couple rumours that Martial will stay at the club; Schrager tweeted that whilst Man Utd have made it clear they will listen to offers for Williams, he wants to stay and prove himself, and it's pretty silent on anything Telles or Pereira related.

Who do you expect to still be gone this summer?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Should have some more confirmed departures soon...

ScholesyTheWise

I'm not sure whether this thread is the most fitting place to ask what I have in mind since it's strictly a financial question,
But I'll try anyway (and maybe some mod can move it elsewhere if necessary):

So this entire view that was perpetuated mainly by Woodward as far as I could tell, of granting our squad players hefty salaries to keep their value as high as possible in the market in an event of a future sale... Has it ever been proved successful?

The fact that we ended up paying most of Nani's salary when we pushed him out to Sporting, and the same goes for Alexis Sanches at Inter (the two of them actually not mere squad players but still), the fact that Phil Jones, Eric Bailly, Lingard and the likes have been here for years without playing and with us not being able to offload them due to their salaries amongst other factors...

Is there any other market in the world where such rationale is actually beneficial? I own asset X which I value quite highly even when it's quite common knowledge that it is of lower quality. I get told by several people that they might consider buying it from me if I priced it more realistically. But I still believe that my presenting it as expensive will make people believe it's worth more than what every average Joe can see with their own eyes...

Woodie and his foes might be real shit at running a football club, but they sure know their stuff when it comes to money, trades etc with their banking background... So what do they see that I completely miss?

I mean, it's not like Apple / Google etc selling you a shitty product at a high price knowing that you'll buy it just because they're Apple.
No club gives a shit that X player has played for United if he's a crap player, on top of a huge salary that needs to payed...

How can't they see that giving (more often: renewing) expensive contracts to average/crappy players will make it extremely difficult to get rid of them, unless we'll again be willing or forced to pay big parts of their salaries at their new clubs?

Why don't we put a price tag of 10 million pounds - or some other low sum for that matter, idk - on Jones, Bailly, Martial, Lingard in the past etc,, and offload them from our pay roll, before their contracts run up and we get nothing for them?

This post turned out much longer than I thought it'd be, but well... I don't get it at all. I'm very open to the idea that I miss something here and hence won't mind at all if someone explained it to me like I was 3 years old.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Letting players go at the end of their contract is one thing, the real test will be whether we can get decent fees for the unwanted in-contract players
I wouldn't count on it. Our transfer negotiation team are the worst in the business.
We pay the highest transfer fees. We sell for the lowest amount. And we offer the highest wages. Literally, the worst in the business.

The only time players leave is when they are out of contract because we don't know how to sell a player for a decent amount.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I wouldn't count on it. Our transfer negotiation team are the worst in the business.
We pay the highest transfer fees. We sell for the lowest amount. And we offer the highest wages. Literally, the worst in the business.

The only time players leave is when they are out of contract because we don't know how to sell a player for a decent amount.
Yeah I wasn’t counting on it, more the opposite. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Teffe

After this terrible season we will hardly get a dime from any of our unwanted players. Just because there's a market value of 30mil doesn't mean that clubs wanna pay that money.

Polar

Senior team
Matic (31) - released
Cavani (21) - released
Grant (13) - retired
Pogba (6) - released
Lingard (14) - released
Mata (8) - released
  • Matic (31) - released
  • Cavani (21) - released
  • Grant (13) - retired
  • Pogba (6) - released
  • Lingard (14) - released
  • Mata (8) - released
  • Pereira released
  • Ronaldo - released soon
  • Bailly - hopefully released
  • Martial - want to release (but maybe wise to keep him. We need at least one striker:lol:)
  • Dalot - hopefully released (actually prefer AWB)
  • VDB - hopefully released (but likely ain’t going to happen this window:confused:)
If all players above leave, then we are talking rebuild:)

What we need:

1x Striker (?)
2x CM (FDJ + ?)
1x AM (Eriksen)
1x RB (?)
1x CD (?)

Last edited:

croadyman

• Matic (31) - released
  • Cavani (21) - released
  • Grant (13) - retired
  • Pogba (6) - released
  • Mata (8) - released
  • Pereira released
  • Martial - want to release (but maybe wise to keep him. We need at least one striker:lol:)
  • VDB - hopefully released (but likely ain’t going to happen this window:confused:)

What we need:

1x Striker (?)
2x CM (FDJ + ?)
1x AM (Eriksen)
1x LB (?)
1x CD (?)
Have signed a LB, presume you meant RB

Polar

Have signed a LB, presume you meant RB
Yes. Yes. Off course :D

On instinct I always visualise formations the opposite way (attackers at bottom). Usually the translation is no problem. Maybe it happened because off vacation and off-season mode:)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So 9 players left so far

Matic - Roma
Cavani - ???
Grant - Retired
Pogba - Juventus
Lingard - ???
Mata - ???
Henderson - Forrest
Levitt - Dundee
Andreas - Fulham

Funny how neither Cavani nor Lingard have secured new clubs yet, haven't really seen rumours for either

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
  • Matic (31) - released
  • Cavani (21) - released
  • Grant (13) - retired
  • Pogba (6) - released
  • Mata (8) - released
  • Pereira released

What we need:

1x Striker (?)
2x CM (FDJ + ?)
1x AM (Eriksen)
1x RB (?)
1x CD (?)
We have already 7 departures and 3 transfers in. We can't afford to sell/release another 5 players because surely we can't buy 3-4 new ones. Jones cannot but accounted for as a player anymore, Bailly, Varane, Martial, Shaw are very injury prone and will probably miss games.
We risk on becoming very thin in numbers and considering ETH's new style and training regime we don't know how well our players will react to that. I don't want to see us with 6-7 injuries at once and no decent sub on the bench.

flappyjay

We have already 7 departures and 3 transfers in. We can't afford to sell/release another 5 players because surely we can't buy 3-4 new ones. Jones cannot but accounted for as a player anymore, Bailly, Varane, Martial, Shaw are very injury prone and will probably miss games.
We risk on becoming very thin in numbers and considering ETH's new style and training regime we don't know how well our players will react to that. I don't want to see us with 6-7 injuries at once and no decent sub on the bench.
We have 7 cbs and 4 left backs(as long as he is on our books Jones counts) . Our squad was bloated and those that left haven't done much to the numbers. It's just that most who left were midfielders. Currently we potentially have Mctominay, Fred, garner, de Jong (hopefully). Cm is short on numbers and needs to be addressed. Same goes for a 9 if Ronaldo leaves. All the other positions are currently bloated.

Rb: laird, Bissaka, Dalot
Lb: Williams, Malacia, Shaw, Telles
Cb: Jones, Maguire, Varane, Bailly, Lindelof, martinez, Tuanzebe
Cm: Mctominay, Garner, Fred, (hopefully FDJ soon)
Am: Eriksen, Bruno, Vdb
Lw: Rashford, Elanga,
Rw: Sancho, Amad, Pellestri
St: Ronaldo, Martial

cyril C

Ask Ronaldo!

I am sure those Academy kids on 2-3K / week might get exemption, but they don't get image right neither.

Players on their 1st season might have negotiated something such as it was not my fault...

Craig Ward

Surely now with Martinez we will see at least 2 CB's leave.

Tuannzebe and Jones clearly have no future here.

Lindelof and Bailly will have limited roles, but to be fair Bailly has looked good in pre-season.

Williams has to go, and i'd say Telles too as we dont need 3 LB's.

Martial has probably played himself into staying in ETH plans with his pre-season.

For permanent sales it's looking slow with the links but we need players off the wage bill pronto.

If we had offers the following would be sold:
Jones
Tuanzebe
Williams
Lindelof
Bailly
Telles
AWB (If we sign a RB which is heavily linked)

Still got some potential loans to sort:
Amad
Hannibal
Iqbal
Savage
Garner
Garnacho

Havak

Pokemon master
We are definitely heavy in the defender department. We at least need to find a way to offload Jones and realistically, one more, but it's hard to see it so far.

I'd assume that Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw, and Malacia are penciled in to be our top eight defenders in the squad (two for each position) for this season. It's hard to see many others getting much opportunity. Maybe you keep one extra CB and FB and go with 10 defenders in the first-team squad, but we currently have 12. 13 if we include Williams.

I'd say Jones, Williams, and Bailly/Tuanzebe need to go. I like Bailly, but the injuries are too much. Tuanzebe I would be content with going on loan as I think there's a player there. It may be the case that we just have to loan out certain players rather than sell them. It's hard to see us selling more than 1-2 permanently this window. Maybe in January.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Surely now with Martinez we will see at least 2 CB's leave.

Tuannzebe and Jones clearly have no future here.

Lindelof and Bailly will have limited roles, but to be fair Bailly has looked good in pre-season.

Williams has to go, and i'd say Telles too as we dont need 3 LB's.

Martial has probably played himself into staying in ETH plans with his pre-season.

For permanent sales it's looking slow with the links but we need players off the wage bill pronto.

If we had offers the following would be sold:
Jones
Tuanzebe
Williams
Lindelof
Bailly
Telles
AWB (If we sign a RB which is heavily linked)

Still got some potential loans to sort:
Amad
Hannibal
Iqbal
Savage
Garner
Garnacho
Some one actually has to bid for them to leave.

CloneMC16

LB leaving when we need to be loaning out a RB instead, clearly there is absolutely zero interest in AWB so not signing one
Telles needed to leave as well. He has been replaced by Malacia. We don't need 3 LB's. Getting rid of our players is hard when they're all massively over paid. Nobody will pay them what we do. They won't take wage cuts and leave.

croadyman

Telles needed to leave as well. He has been replaced by Malacia. We don't need 3 LB's. Getting rid of our players is hard when they're all massively over paid. Nobody will pay them what we do. They won't take wage cuts and leave.
Oh yeah I know exactly who to blame for that