How many times will we need to get thrashed to realise Eriksen is not a CM?

Skills

Snitch
At least a couple more? It feels more suicidal than playing Pogba in a 2.

LoneStar

Should have played Fred instead of VDB as a midfield 3. That way Eriksen has some cover.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Not his fault that Martinez is slow as a wet week v Bailey.

Lentwood

You have to be a little bit realistic away from home in the PL. Before you do anything else, you have to win the midfield battle.

You can't do that with DvdB and Eriksen

Idxomer

You have to be a little bit realistic away from home in the PL. Before you do anything else, you have to win the midfield battle.

You can't do that with DvdB and Eriksen
Especially against Villa who has nothing going for them except having a lot of energetic players in midfield and attack.

binary bot
He’s capable of it when we’ve a fully fit team, but small changes to our lineup dramatically affects the bigger picture more than any team I’ve seen.

No Varane, Bruno or Anthony, plus the inclusion of players like Ronaldo, Garnacho, Rashford and Lindelof is basically a negative to our control of the game in half the positions on the pitch.

zaafi

Playing VdB and Eriksen together in midfield is an extraordinarily shit decision by Ten Hag. Should have played either McTominay or Fred next to Casemiro with Eriksen as the #10. Not the best timing, but we need more fighters in the team like Martinez. Should go all out for Bruno Guimaraes next summer.

Trequarista10

Bruno gets criticised a lot on here recently for his inconsistency and impulsively, but one thing he never fails to do is work his socks off and track back, which somewhat compensates for this. With Donny ambling around like a 40 year playing at Soccer Aid we're even further exposed.

I also think it's a touch of ETH underestimating the PL. Eriksen may work in a midfield two in some games, but its asking for trouble in games like today's. All away games are difficult, especially a decent mid table team. Ultimately, at the moment ETH thinks the pros outweigh the cons because he wants a playmaker as one of the two deeper midfielders, and neither Fred or McTominay can do that. It will result in defeats inevitably. I have no doubt ETH's main priority will be De Jong or a similiar profile. Until we make thar signing I think we simply need to start Fred or McTominay in tougher away games, with Eriksen either further up the pitch or an impact sub.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
3 players over the age of 30 who have played nearly every minute of the last 3 games in 7 days for a team which supposedly “presses all day” - as much as I love ETH his lack of rotation is baffling. Today was made for Fred’s energy.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
More about Van de Beek not being a Premier League standard footballer. Absolutely baffling why he's starting games for us.

Pronewbie

Peep
Trade-offs yeah, I think the team needs time to gel. Ideally Eriksen will be slowly bedded in to the position while also contesting for the AM slot. He currently has a world class DM beside him who also needs time to adapt. Real Madrid's trio was Modric, Kroos and Casemiro, which according to this board's logic will never work because it's defensively lacking.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Honestly. So many called him a Pogba improvement after about 5 games. Mental.

He’s as much of a central midfielder in a two as Fernandes is

Skills

Snitch
Trade-offs yeah, I think the team needs time to gel. Ideally Eriksen will be slowly bedded in to the position while also contesting for the AM slot. He currently has a world class DM beside him who also needs time to adapt. Real Madrid's trio was Modric, Kroos and Casemiro, which according to this board's logic will never work because it's defensively lacking.
What?!

Modric and Kroos have been CMs there entire careers.

Kag

I’m not really sure that was the issue.

Lindelof making Ollie Watkins look like a prime Didier Drogba and Villa pressing like animals for their new manager unsettled us badly.

Eriksen has been very poor on the ball, though.

DWelbz19

:houllier: Even if it was defensively lacking, Kroos and Modric are two of the top 5 central midfielders of the past 20 years when it comes to ball retention. Our midfield lacks defensive and they treat the ball like a hot potato. It’s a double down.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Should have played Fred instead of VDB as a midfield 3. That way Eriksen has some cover.
It's when I agreed with this comment that I realise Van De Beek has no place in the squad. Eriksen is the player Van De Beek should be, and if he's not going to be providing the energy that we need to be able to play Eriksen, then you're wondering what Van De Beek brings to the team.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Eriksen isn't the problem. His partners are. Fred should have started with Eriksen.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Honestly. So many called him a Pogba improvement after about 5 games. Mental.

He’s as much of a central midfielder in a two as Fernandes is
Yeah. Because he is.

DWelbz19

In this Ten Hag side, he absolutely is.
I think he’s had as many poor games as he has had good since joining. Which, ironically, many would argue was Paul Pogba’s MO here.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Bruno gets criticised a lot on here recently for his inconsistency and impulsively, but one thing he never fails to do is work his socks off and track back, which somewhat compensates for this. With Donny ambling around like a 40 year playing at Soccer Aid we're even further exposed.

I also think it's a touch of ETH underestimating the PL. Eriksen may work in a midfield two in some games, but its asking for trouble in games like today's. All away games are difficult, especially a decent mid table team. Ultimately, at the moment ETH thinks the pros outweigh the cons because he wants a playmaker as one of the two deeper midfielders, and neither Fred or McTominay can do that. It will result in defeats inevitably. I have no doubt ETH's main priority will be De Jong or a similiar profile. Until we make thar signing I think we simply need to start Fred or McTominay in tougher away games, with Eriksen either further up the pitch or an impact sub.
Agree for the most part.

We saw it against Chelsea with Eriksen. Fantastic when things are going our way: When they brought on Kovacic and things got more crowded in midfield he faded, even at #10. In the end after moving Bruno wide, Ten Hag ended up moving Bruno back central and subbing Eriksen so we had more energy in the middle.

Eriksen, Van de Beek, these are lads for games you have 80% of the ball in. They are not built for the hustle and bustle. It's become fashionable to hate Bruno but, as you say, he works so hard off the ball that it helps us massively in games we have to scrap in.

Aint gota Kalou

I think he suits CM but helps to have someone a bit more physical as the 10 like Fred or Bruno

finneh

Too many floaters in the team today. You have Eriksen, DvB, Ronaldo and Rashford all of whom aren't going to make an actual tackle. With the latter evacuating the right wing and effectively playing centre forward we have only Garnacho putting any pressure on their back six.

Very naive decision from EtH not realising that Antony and Fernandes would require work ethic to replace them. As much as Fred is low quality it's a game where he simply had to play given his work rate.

Kag

I’m all for starting Fred to beef up the midfield, but he’s also guilty of being a loose cannon in possession and playing like an idiot when pressed.

Eriksen and Fred both have their strengths and weakness in that midfield position. Neither are the long term option. I do think this thread is very knee-jerk, however.

evil_geko

Look at all the little managers here knowing so much more than Ten Hag.

DWelbz19

He’s way more reliable on the ball than Pogba. Poor today, granted.
Statistically not the case at all. Christian Eriksen averages a passing accuracy of 77.5%, which puts him in the 33rd percentile across Europe. PP at 81%.

Football is all about narratives.

I think this thread will be much more common opinion 5-6 months down the line.

Kag

Statistically not the case at all. Christian Eriksen averages a passing accuracy of 77.5%, which puts him in the 33rd percentile across Europe. PP at 81%.

Football is all about narratives.

I think this thread will be much more common opinion 5-6 months down the line.
I’m not arsed about the percentile. The eye test was clear that Pogba was badly misused and regularly robbed of the ball in his own half. I think Eriksen is far more secure on the ball in that sense.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This thread isn't knee jerk at all
I’d argue the sentiment is right that Pogba is a better pick as the more attacking option in a double pivot, and Eriksen being there makes us less secure.

If you want to play Eriksen and another attacking mid, you’d be far better off in a 4-3-3 where VDB or Bruno is also playing a more active midfield role.

Skills

Snitch
I’m not arsed about the percentile. The eye test was clear that Pogba was badly misused and regularly robbed of the ball in his own half. I think Eriksen is far more secure on the ball in that sense.
Happens to Eriksen as well. See arsenal - him looking like a massive whimp, plays in his favour with the refs though.

DWelbz19

Maybe those eyes will get clearer in a few months. Let me know!