How much are injuries affecting us?

Judas

Open to offers
They're having an influence for sure, but I wouldn't expect someone as passive as Martial, and quick to stroll through a game as Pogba to save us. We won't see that big a difference with everyone fit.

acnumber9

Injuries expose the lack of planning. Did we think we weren’t going to get injuries or something? We purposely weakened our squad. Now for me that is on Woodward but when you do it to yourself then you’ve no excuses. We didn’t have to let Herrera leave and not replace him. We didn’t have to leave ourselves with 7 centre backs and no striker.

Walters_19_MuFc

I definitely think we'd look better if we didn't have any injuries, however we lost 1-2 to Palace at home with the same team that beat Chelsea 4-0 in the opening fixture. Fact is, our squad is not only struggling ability wise, but we're very inconsistent, too.

AFC NimbleThumb

We’re not losing Messi/Ronaldo from attack.

We lose our first choice LB who is ‘injury prone’ & we’re again playing a failed winger in his mid 30s.

We lose our first choice striker & we move our LW to ST, our RW to LW & replace our RW with Andreas, a talented but failing United CM.

Pogba isn’t pulling up trees but he goes & he’s replaced by Fred [eventually] or Matic [less said the better], both somehow do less than Pogba does!

To go into the season with a team that was going to rely so heavily on everyone being fit, despite history showing that wouldn’t happen was malpractice.

Somehow these injuries have brought Mata into the team!

Andy_Cole

Sadly I don’t think that much. Yes we may have some more points but it’ll be the same tumescent football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As poor as we are, I think some people are ridiculously underrating how important your first choice full backs, and best two players are!

Take Salah, Mane, Robertson and AA out Liverpool, how do they do? Probably not great.

We didn't look great with any of the missing guys playing though, so we're still in need of change though

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I definitely think we'd look better if we didn't have any injuries, however we lost 1-2 to Palace at home with the same team that beat Chelsea 4-0 in the opening fixture. Fact is, our squad is not only struggling ability wise, but we're very inconsistent, too.
Despite losing the game the Palace performance was better than anything we've produced since without Martial.

At full strength we're nothing special but with 5/6 first choice injuries this is a relegation side.

RedDevilRoshi

Injuries expose the lack of planning. Did we think we weren’t going to get injuries or something? We purposely weakened our squad. Now for me that is on Woodward but when you do it to yourself then you’ve no excuses. We didn’t have to let Herrera leave and not replace him. We didn’t have to leave ourselves with 7 centre backs and no striker.

100% this!

ash_86

Massively ruined our season. We're way better than where we are at the table. Martial was quite a big loss for us. Also shows the lack of planning. Rookie manager + clueless board.

Banana Republic

We’re missing AWB & Shaw, but we didn't’ suffer from it today. Newcastle didn’t trouble us down the flanks and Dalot and grandad Young did just enough defensively.

The only threats from Newcastle came from down the middle or when they cut inside.

Discounting Lingard, who’s a complete waste of space, it’s only Pogba and Martial who we are missing. The other injuries are CB’s ...sick note Jones, Bailly (he must qualify for registered disabled by now) and Lindelof...and Harry and Axel did OK.

When Martial and Pogba are fit, nothing short of superb performances from those two will make much of a difference, such is the dearth of quality through the rest of the squad.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Injuries are the difference between us being top 6 right now.

I’m 100% convinced with Martial upfront he’d score and we’d have a bit more creativity in attack with a player who can actually control a ball in tight spaces and finish.

tonnas

they are effecting us but not enough, we have no clear plan or idea how to play, Ole is out of his depth.

Red_toad

Massively.

Look at City. They look half the team they did without a few players.

Pogba/Martial/Shaw are massive misses for us. If they were all fit we wouldn’t have seen Mata/Matic or Young get many minutes. Add in players like Lingard/AWB as well and our understudies are pathetic.

Put it this way, today we could have:

Pogba,
Lingard,
Shaw,
Martial,
AWB

instead of

Dalot,
Perreira,
Young,
Mata,
Fred.

With the latter five.. we wipe the floor with Newcastle.
Add a right winger and quality holding midfielder to those 5 and we’d actually have a good team.

The White Pele

Injuries are impacting us massively but injuries happen and if you go into the season with no depth then you will be found out sooner or later.

Lee565

We were struggling and looking poor even before pogba and martial were out injured, we could barely even beat the likes of rochdale and Astana for God sake and we shouldnt have to have had our strongest 11 to do so, look at how arsenal were to still beat teams easily in the league cup and Europa league with a weaker/younger sides.

Why did we waste 40 million on a defensive fullback, everyone knows shaw is a crock waiting to happen but Solskjear seemed happy with the idea of bloody young as back up and having no threat at all down the right side.

Tierney was available for 20 million and there were right backs like trippier and meunier going for 20 million. Two of these buys for 40 million would have gave great competition/cover for shaw and an improvement over young from last season at right back defensively and offensively.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We were struggling and looking poor even before pogba and martial were out injured, we could barely even beat the likes of rochdale and Astana for God sake and we shouldnt have to have had our strongest 11 to do so, look at how arsenal were to still beat teams easily in the league cup and Europa league with a weaker/younger sides.

Why did we waste 40 million on a defensive fullback, everyone knows shaw is a crock waiting to happen but Solskjear seemed happy with the idea of bloody young as back up and having no threat at all down the right side.

Tierney was available for 20 million and there were right backs like trippier and meunier going for 20 million. Two of these buys for 40 million would have gave great competition/cover for shaw and an improvement over young from last season at right back defensively and offensively.
You’re right, I think the way to get over our injury nightmare was to buy Tierney.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Injury is surely giving us a lot of problem. Without Martial, our forwards look like a relegation forwards. Without Pogba, our midfield look like a relegation midfields. Martial, Pogba & Maguire are our best three players this season and probably the only 3 plus DDG worth to be called top 4 quality players. This sums up our current squad & starting XI. New midfield & forward in January is very important to prevent this happening again & to keep our hope for top alive.

R'hllor

Result wise it would be better maybe but performance wise, highly doubt it.

Leftback99

I posted this in his performance thread. Our record with and without Martial since the start of last season:

Our PL record since start of last season:

Played 46 Won 21 (46%) Drawn 12 (26%) Lost 13 (28%)

With Martial starting:

Played 21 Won 12 (57%) Drawn 4 (19%) Lost 5 (24%)

Without Martial starting:

Played 25 Won 9 (36%) Drawn 8 (32%) Lost 8 (32%)

He also started only 4/12 games against last season's bottom 6 so it wasn't like the figures above are boosted by playing the easier games.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Completely agree with you.
Using injuries as an excuse is not acceptable for a club the size of Manchester United.
The fact that we are so exposed is pure negligence.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For me, it's not the quality of the players that we're actually missing, it's just when they're fit it means players like Young, Mata, Matic etc aren't in the team, which I think is even more important.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Hugely, anyone judging Ole on the team he put out against Newcastle is an idiot, imho. Young, Mata, Dalot and Perreira would genuinely struggle to get into that Newcastle team, so why are we surprised by the performance?

Do people not realise that having better players means a better team?

I'd argue that AWB, Pogba, Martial and Shaw are 4 of our 5 best players in their respective areas. Take them out and we're kind of useless.

BUT. We know we needed a rebuild. We know we needed to clear the deadwood. This is the only logical outcome. A season where we're sort. Let's just hope it's only the one. I'm okay with that, in the greater scheme of things.

Sterling Archer

A good coach and manager will have his entire squad ready to play his way. Our subs come in and it's not just a matter of quality, it's like they don't know what they're trying to execute exactly. That's a bad manager right there.

Sterling Archer

Hugely, anyone judging Ole on the team he put out against Newcastle is an idiot, imho. Young, Mata, Dalot and Perreira would genuinely struggle to get into that Newcastle team, so why are we surprised by the performance?

Do people not realise that having better players means a better team?

I'd argue that AWB, Pogba, Martial and Shaw are 4 of our 5 best players in their respective areas. Take them out and we're kind of useless.

BUT. We know we needed a rebuild. We know we needed to clear the deadwood. This is the only logical outcome. A season where we're sort. Let's just hope it's only the one. I'm okay with that, in the greater scheme of things.
1) a good manager works with the players he has
2) Ole boasted confidence in the youth for months and had the luxury of several months of last season to judge his players, ultimately deciding not to sign more. I blame Woodward to a great extent. But also turned off by Ole tucking his tail between his legs and accepting that window for how it was.

Bestietom

Agree 100%. But I do believe that injuries has also cost us some points on the board.

Mainoldo

Let's revist this when they are back and we are still rubbish. Then we can create a, 'The players just aren't good enough' thread with Martial being the main culprit :lol:

Sterling Archer

Put really really well

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
And I'd argue that maybe we're missing AWB a little bit in defence but Dalot has been better than him attacking wise. I like Shaw as a player but it really doesn't make much difference to the team if he plays or not. Pogba could be a big loss but is he? When was the last time he actually put a shift in? December? January? How long will it take Martial to find some sort of form when he returns? 5 or 6 games? Then it will be back to 1 good performance every 5. You're building your hopes up on something that has actually been proved. We're not that much better a team if we didn't have any injuries.[/QUOTE]

Leftback99

Let's revist this when they are back and we are still rubbish. Then we can create a, 'The players just aren't good enough' thread with Martial being the main culprit :lol:
And then under the next manager when we are still rubbish with the same players.

Leftback99

Of course we did. We had shots on opposition goals. The fact this is even true is a joke.
While we had a fit Martial, Pogba and Lukaku, yes. We were also conceding goals for fun against the likes of Brighton, Derby, Newcastle and a thrilling 3-0 loss at home to Spurs.

Besides the point, i was told on here (like now) that we'd be loads better under a different manager. Here we are.

Mainoldo

While we had a fit Martial, Pogba and Lukaku, yes. We were also conceding goals for fun against the likes of Brighton, Derby, Newcastle and a thrilling 3-0 loss at home to Spurs.

Besides the point, i was told on here (like now) that we'd be loads better under a different manager. Here we are.
Martial and Pogba who Mourinho wanted to sell? We was conceding goals because our manager went out publicly and told everyone our defence was a pile of rubbish and tried great imaginative things like Play Herrera and McTominay as CB's. Love behold we now how one of the best defences in the league on stats with Maguire Young, Lindelof and AWB at the back. Which is funny when no-one will actually say that is a massive improvement or take any of them players when creating the best defence in the current EPL.

So the real point is Jose was his own downfall which we all knew and feared before he even signed on the dotted line.

You was told correct the only difference is like with good quality players it only works when you hire managers/players competent at their job. If you asked me last season if Alan Pardew would make us loads better i'd happily have told you no and you would have agreed. So if you'r going to make a point please make sure it is relevant and not an open question just trying to be smart.

Solskjaer should be sacked but you would have to be a real tw%t if you think sacking him and hiring someone just as crap will improve this.

DoomSlayer

Injuries have a massive effect but considering our history in that department, there is only so much that it can be used as an excuse before it comes back to bad planning and wrong evaluation of the players.

buckooo1978

hugely

Wan Bissaka, Martial, Pogba are amongst our best players

with those injuries we've seen Ashley Young in the team which is enough said. We are relying on Pereira and Mata for creativity in midfield. Martial's injury means Rashford is playing in spite of looking injured himself and we barely look like scoring.

big impact on a poor squad

Mainoldo

hugely

Wan Bissaka, Martial, Pogba are amongst our best players

with those injuries we've seen Ashley Young in the team which is enough said. We are relying on Pereira and Mata for creativity in midfield. Martial's injury means Rashford is playing in spite of looking injured himself and we barely look like scoring.

big impact on a poor squad
Only Lingard is our other option.

Leftback99

Martial and Pogba who Mourinho wanted to sell? We was conceding goals because our manager went out publicly and told everyone our defence was a pile of rubbish and tried great imaginative things like Play Herrera and McTominay as CB's. Love behold we now how one of the best defences in the league on stats with Maguire Young, Lindelof and AWB at the back. Which is funny when no-one will actually say that is a massive improvement or take any of them players when creating the best defence in the current EPL.

So the real point is Jose was his own downfall which we all knew and feared before he even signed on the dotted line.

You was told correct the only difference is like with good quality players it only works when you hire managers/players competent at their job. If you asked me last season if Alan Pardew would make us loads better i'd happily have told you no and you would have agreed. So if you'r going to make a point please make sure it is relevant and not an open question just trying to be smart.

Solskjaer should be sacked but you would have to be a real tw%t if you think sacking him and hiring someone just as crap will improve this.
Whether he wanted to sell them is irrelevant they were playing and are better than what we have had available in attack this season.

Anyway, I've just realised what i'm dealing with. I don't need to 'try be smart'.

This time last year you said this in response to how many of our players would start for City:

De Gea, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Pogba, Alexis, Martial, Mata. 8 players which is over half. I’m very sure you will argue but if Pep had his same players along with those I’ve just mentioned. Yesterday’s team except for Smalling on the simple fact he’s a shit passer would would have included those players. Pogba easily fits KDB’s role, Bailly with confidence is a better center back than Stones and Laporte. Martial and Alexis are just better footballers than Sterling fact. It would be hard given for anyone to prove to me Bernardo Silva has even been to Juan Mata’s Level.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Add a right winger and quality holding midfielder to those 5 and we’d actually have a good team.
Good decent individuals. Team? Debatable. We haven't looked larger than the sum of our individual players in a long long time. Even with the injuries we are better than this.

el3mel

Important players get injured all the time. They will get injured again too as we are still only in October. Not an excuse for dropping to bottom half of the table and be close to relegation battle.

Not to say our results and performance have been shite whatever the players present anyway.