How much are injuries affecting us?

El Zoido

Badly. Just imagine Leicester without Vardy & Maddison/Tielemans, Liverpool without Salah & Mane, Tottenham without Son & Kane, Arsenal without Aubameyang & Lacazatte.

At the end of the day we are not Man City with massive money that we can buy 5 players in one window during rebuilding process.
I agree, and it’s weird how United has always been immune to this. You watch some teams play, and they lose, and people go “oh well they have x, y, z player out injured so it’s no wonder they lost”, yet United can have 5+ first team players out and when we lose, all you hear is “injuries are no excuse”. Well I’m sorry but yes they are. Not having your best players available is a big fking deal that is constantly glossed over whenever we play badly. It’s especially prevalent with United since our team outside the first XI isn’t great.

croadyman

We seem to get a lot of injuries compared to other premier league teams,look how often the likes of Leicester and Liverpool can field the same team. There must be an issue with the fitness that someone at the club needs to investigate properly.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We’ve been saying that for years but there’s no change. A brand new fitness coaching team might be needed.

Hammondo

I don't think it's affecting us at all. With everyone fit we are just as bad.

Mainoldo

I agree, and it’s weird how United has always been immune to this. You watch some teams play, and they lose, and people go “oh well they have x, y, z player out injured so it’s no wonder they lost”, yet United can have 5+ first team players out and when we lose, all you hear is “injuries are no excuse”. Well I’m sorry but yes they are. Not having your best players available is a big fking deal that is constantly glossed over whenever we play badly. It’s especially prevalent with United since our team outside the first XI isn’t great.
I don’t remember us drawing to Liverpool and people saying they would have beat us if they had Salah?!

Raw

Our best, most productive and creative player has been injured for 10/16 games this season. Say what you will about Pogba but had he been playing all our games this season we'd be getting better results, he has the ability to produce something out of nothing. The problem is having absolute shite options to replace him (Lingard, Mata, Pereira) who cannot contribute anywhere near the kind of goals/assists Pogba can provide.

Then we've had all the little niggling injuries around our defence that does it no favours. We need a consistent defence in order to build their understanding and develop into a unit, but Shaw's been injured all season, AWB has been getting random little injuries/illnesses and even Maguire has picked up a knock (though still played anyway).

Either we buy loads of players to offer top quality depth to handle these injuries, or get a new fitness coaching team.

ants7

All-around ineptness is affecting us. I guess it can also be described as an "injury".

Infra-red

We seem to get a lot of injuries compared to other premier league teams,look how often the likes of Leicester and Liverpool can field the same team. There must be an issue with the fitness that someone at the club needs to investigate properly.
Solskjaer's double sessions in the summer and the early part of the season have likely had an effect.

He doesn't exactly excel at squad rotation, either.

Bestietom

Solskjaer's double sessions in the summer and the early part of the season have likely had an effect.

He doesn't exactly excel at squad rotation, either.
We don't have the squad to excel. We are very thin, and when a top player is missing, we really feel it more than other cubs because of this. Just look at our bench each week and you will see that we don't have any match changers there.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
The potential level with Pogba is obviously much higher, we were progressing until McT got injured. Martial also important. Significantly

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't think we are much better with Pogba and Martial in the team. We can be, but I don't think them two make much difference under Ole. This terrible "form" is carried over from last season. There are games where one or both have been involved and we're just as shite. From Everton. 4-0 or Huddersfield 2-0 defeats last season, or the dull Rochdale affair or loss to Palace this season.

Injuries are bad for us because we're paper thin, sure. But they aren't the real problem with our performances.

hubbuh

There literally has to be some kind of reasonable explanation for this. What's more frustrating is that we've been consistently decimated by injuries for years now, so this should come as no surprise. I mean, surely the backroom staff know this as well as we do, yet they gave the go ahead to move forward with one senior CF, one established left back, a hodge podge mix of midfielders and to start the season with Jones, Bailly and Rojo still on the books! The stench of incompetency is vomit-inducing. Excuse me while I go blow chunks over me ma.

Irwin99

It's ok, because buying another striker this summer would have impeded Greenwood's progress.

This season's planning has just been mind boggling. I don't see how anyone can say it's bad luck, it's just too frequent. We've got players on the books that simply can't stay fit (Rojo, Jones, Shaw, and increasingly the likes of Lingard and Martial) and we've entrusted them with roles in an already paper thin squad.

ash_86

For once I would like to see us play with the whole team. Is that too much to ask?

Tel074

We have played I think 3 games this season with what could be considered our starting 11 . That's crazy with a squad as thin as ours . I know we don't all love Pogba but with him as a attacking midfielder surely he would be doing more than what we have .

In saying that we get alot of muscle injuries and that's more than likely down to the high tempo game Ole wants to play

Red_toad

Care to look at when we last fielded our first choice starting 11? Probably happened last season, when we were under Ole's best spell. Martial and Pogba both in a 3 are vital to our playing style, we simply lack adequate replacements.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think we are much better with Pogba and Martial in the team. We can be, but I don't think them two make much difference under Ole. This terrible "form" is carried over from last season. There are games where one or both have been involved and we're just as shite. From Everton. 4-0 or Huddersfield 2-0 defeats last season, or the dull Rochdale affair or loss to Palace this season.

Injuries are bad for us because we're paper thin, sure. But they aren't the real problem with our performances.
I'm not really sure what's the point including last season games when we had different XI in those games that you included compare to what we have right now. This season we are playing different formation, have a ball playing centre back, new full back, an actual winger & McTominay plays as a regular player.

When all our main XI players are fit including our top 3 best players Pogba & Martial, there are differences we can spot. The Chelsea game when we won 4-0 and the Wolves game when we dominated the game with 60% + possession. We will expect consistency with young players who are yet to reach top class level status but there were occasions when our performances are very good but injuries made us much worse.

I'm jealous to see Leicester City since they are able to field their main starting XI week in week out, while we are struggling to field them due to injuries.

Ludens the Red

It’s almost as if letting go of four internationals in Fellaini, Herrera, Sanchez and Lukaku and NOT replacing them was a bad idea. Mostly a bad idea.....mostly.

Hammondo

Care to look at when we last fielded our first choice starting 11? Probably happened last season, when we were under Ole's best spell. Martial and Pogba both in a 3 are vital to our playing style, we simply lack adequate replacements.
We had bout main 11 this season and we were terrible. Do you even watch utd?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Knocks and fractures like the ones that has sidelined Pogba cant be blamed on anyone, but the amount of muscular injuries we sustain is just insane. Either we have the most injury prone players in the world or we are doing something really wrong in terms of training and rehabilitation.

zenith

I would love to see our best 11 start on just five games consecutively. Is that too much to ask before sacking a manager?

ricky-romeo

This.

we always had injuries. even during Sir Alex's time there were always period where we need to play midfielders at the back.

last summer was supposed to be the first step towards building a new team, by bringing in proper midfielders and attackers and not just 2 defenders and a winger from the championship. if anything it is the overall quality of the squad that is affecting us, not injuries. and to hear Ole speaking at press conferences about Pogba and McTominay returning are like new January signings just show you the level of ineptness our manager is in at the moment.

Red_toad

We had bout main 11 this season and we were terrible. Do you even watch utd?
I bow to your 'bout' wisdom, no idea what you're on about, but yes I've watched United for decades.

Games missed out of the 21 this season
Pogba 16
Martial 9
Rashford 3
Shaw 20
Matic 11

With the paper thin squad (bar keepers and central defenders) that's a big problem with our best players in their positions missing so many games. I'm not sure what games you watched with all mentioned players fit and playing, but good on ya for being so alert if you have...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
-----------------------------De Gea------------------------------
AWB-------Lindeloff--------Maguire--------Shaw
--------------McTominay-----Fred----------------------(Fred is finally starting to look like a decent player and will be key to unleashing Pogba)
James----------------Pogba----------------Rashford
-------------------------Martial-----------------------------

This team could play with any team in the league. We wouldn't be in first place right now seeing as Liverpool has only dropped 2 points so far this year (to us), however, we would be right around Leicester and City if not ahead of them. Don't kid yourself folks, injuries have played a huge part in our disappointing season. I said this in another thread where people were fondling over Rogers. Imagine where Leicester would be right now without Vardy, Chillwell and Maddison for an extended period. My guess is those same people who are fondling over Rogers would be talking about how crap he is...

SteveW

I would love to see our best 11 start on just five games consecutively. Is that too much to ask before sacking a manager?
Either that or at least give him a chance to get a few decent fringe players. We started with Fred, Periera and Mata in midfield at the weekend. Is it that surprising that we didn't win?

AFC NimbleThumb

Shaw has a history of injuries of every variety; as does Martial with muscular ones.

OgS in his wisdom chose to continue with Young as LB cover & talked up Greenwood then didn’t start him when Martial was injured.

Pogba being out for so long is an anomaly but losing 3 players, one of which is a overrated fullback & the other a streaky forward really shouldn’t be reason to derail the season beyond even minimal expectations.

If he wants to blame injuries for the quality of the team not being ideal then there’s some argument to be had but despite his ‘first 11’ being unavailable he hasn’t utilised the set of players available to anywhere near their maximum.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A squad with a cohesive plan wont be torn apart by a few injuries.

Losing your star player would meant you lose that reliable individual skill to win. Losing messi would mean alot, but losing messi doesnt mean barcelona would suddenly forgot how to play football. It doesnt mean his replacement would suddenly break the team down.

Your effectiveness probably diminishes but not somehow crumble like dominoes.

What we're experiencing is losing individual brilliance to score goals, and having no framework no teamwork to rely upon

theklr

Spot on. Just look at Chelsea when Abraham was out, or City when their centre back went out.

Ole is still to blame for not having the ability to somewhat compensate for this by changing the game plan, but he has been really unlucky.

Combined with the thin squad these injuries have cost us the 5th place at the moment.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shaw has a history of injuries of every variety; as does Martial with muscular ones.

OgS in his wisdom chose to continue with Young as LB cover & talked up Greenwood then didn’t start him when Martial was injured.

Pogba being out for so long is an anomaly but losing 3 players, one of which is a overrated fullback & the other a streaky forward really shouldn’t be reason to derail the season beyond even minimal expectations.

If he wants to blame injuries for the quality of the team not being ideal then there’s some argument to be had but despite his ‘first 11’ being unavailable he hasn’t utilised the set of players available to anywhere near their maximum.
We've lost our only creative midfielder, our starting left back and the only player that looks comfortable playing CF for us. Those are our only long term injuries of course, we've had plenty of starting XI players miss games outside of those.

I don't know why you're trying to play that down. It's alright to hold the opinion you don't think he's doing a good enough job while acknowledging the injuries have hit our paper thin squad pretty hard.

ManchesterYoda

We need Pogba back. He is our best player. I think a front 6 of Fred and McTominay behind Pogba and Rashford, Martial and Greenwood in front of Pogba is the best option.

Eric's Seagull

I agree with this totally. I think that injuries are severely hindering us st the moment and I believe with a full 11new would be doing much better than we are at the moment.

Jonno

You don't see Liverpool complaining when their keeper is out, or Fabinho is out, or Salah is out. They just rotate and get on with it and win.

Whos fault is it our squad is so thin? Ole said in the summer "we dont need to replace Herrera and Fellaini, we've got Pereira and McTomminay who can play there".

He sold Lukaku and trusted Martial.

It's amateur mistakes like this that have cost us. We should have a bigger, better quality squad to deal with injuries.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
It’s almost as if letting go of four internationals in Fellaini, Herrera, Sanchez and Lukaku and NOT replacing them was a bad idea. Mostly a bad idea.....mostly.
Come to think about it, what a school boy error. Add smalling into that list as well. Granted, he wanted to leave but "will impede xyz if we bring in senior players now" has become a powerful excuse for the club. Its really annoying too.

troylocker

You don't see Liverpool complaining when their keeper is out, or Fabinho is out, or Salah is out. They just rotate and get on with it and win.

Whos fault is it our squad is so thin? Ole said in the summer "we dont need to replace Herrera and Fellaini, we've got Pereira and McTomminay who can play there".

It's amateur mistakes like this that have cost us. We should have a bigger, better quality squad to deal with injuries.
FYI. They are complaining like hell in the Liverpool forums over this. It's almost a meltdown in there over how badly they play without Fabinho. It's actually mindbogeling that they have managed to scrape out the wins they have, playing as bad as they have.

In my opinion we have suffered a lot and lost a lot of points because of injuries to key players this season. We agree that the squad is too thin and needs improvement both in quality and depth, but I don't think buying backup options in the summer would be the right way raise the quality of this squad in the long run. He and the club gambled that we would not suffer multiple injuries to key players before the next window and failed. We need a top quality creative midfielder and striker asap.

McTomminay is better than Fellaini ever was for us by the way.

Jonno

FYI. They are complaining like hell in the Liverpool forums over this. It's almost a meltdown in there over how badly they play without Fabinho. It's actually mindbogeling that they have managed to scrape out the wins they have, playing as bad as they have.

In my opinion we have suffered a lot and lost a lot of points because of injuries to key players this season. We agree that the squad is too thin and needs improvement both in quality and depth, but I don't think buying backup options in the summer would be the right way raise the quality of this squad in the long run. He and the club gambled that we would not suffer multiple injuries to key players before the next window and failed. We need a top quality creative midfielder and striker asap.

McTomminay is better than Fellaini ever was for us by the way.
FYI, they're still winning every week. That's the difference. We're complaining because we don't have the squad depth to cope with the injuries.

Why does one of the supposed biggest clubs in world football not have the squad depth to cope with injuries.

It's scandalous how its been allowed to happen.

Bestietom

We would have a lot more points on the board had we been able to field our full team most of the season. We just don't have the players to come in for the ones we have lost through injury.

bsCallout

For a start, we aren't where Liverpool are. Go back two seasons and take Salah and Firminho out and see how bad Liverpool would have been due to their lack of depth at the time.

Liverpool also haven't had those players out for most of the season nor at the the same time.

We have been hampered massively by injuries which only further exposed the lack of depth in our squad. It would destroy any team below the top 2.

- City have struggled massively with one player out.
- I was at the Chelsea game at the weekend and they were absolutely atrocious without Abraham.
- Imagine arsenal without Aubameyang, Toreira, Tierney.
- Imagine Leicester without Maddison, Vardy & Chilwell.

DamoK

Yeah big mistake letting Lukaku go without a replacement. I like martial and think he had the potential to be much better than Lukaku but he's always injured, seems like he's missing tonight through injury again