How much money are the Glazers now saving through wages of our offloaded players?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It is how it works if you want to build a squad to challenge rather than one you patch up.
No big team with real ambitions would dare starting the season with a mid table side. They would of course get rid of deadwood but they would sign players to keep them successful

romufc

No big team with real ambitions would dare starting the season with a mid table side. They would of course get rid of deadwood but they would sign players to keep them successful
The problem is we don't actually know if Manutd has ambition? It for sure isn't run like a club with ambition.

I agree we should have singed 1 or 2 more because having Lingard, Mata and Perreira as your creators it is poor. On the other hand, it is better than giving into mercenaries like Sanchez, Dybala.

Anustart89

It has to be close to a million a week.

Which is not a bad thing. Balance the books a bit more, and give us more financial muscle for next year while showing we wont be bent over and pay stupid wages for duff players.

You want big wages at United? You earn them.
Yeah, like we told Lingard! That’ll show them!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The problem is we don't actually know if Manutd has ambition? It for sure isn't run like a club with ambition.

I agree we should have singed 1 or 2 more because having Lingard, Mata and Perreira as your creators it is poor. On the other hand, it is better than giving into mercenaries like Sanchez, Dybala.
We had since January to plan for all this. We could have easily signed 5-6 players if of course we had any shred of ambition

izzydiggler

We do know - it isn’t. The past couple of summers should have made it very clear but still people are saying ‘next year’.

Being played like a fiddle.

EvilChuck

Yeah, like we told Lingard! That’ll show them!
Lingard is on 50k a week, and has uses in the tactics that Ole wants to employ. Can he be improved on, of course. But at the moment he does a good enough job for what he contributes, relative to the wages/contributions of those around him

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Lingard is on 50k a week, and has uses in the tactics that Ole wants to employ. Can he be improved on, of course. But at the moment he does a good enough job for what he contributes, relative to the wages/contributions of those around him
What about 'Rashy' - how much is he on?

What about new contracts for Jones, Young and Mata given by the same board?

Falcow

Smalling latest player to be off loaded without being replaced? You do realise that we still have 7 centre backs (darmian can also play there) competing for two positions? How can you realistically conclude that he has not been replaced? You mean you want to bring in an 8th?

EvilChuck

What about 'Rashy' - how much is he on?

What about new contracts for Jones, Young and Mata given by the same board?
https://www.totalsportek.com/money/manchester-united-player-salaries/

Check for yourself. That has wages listed for the 18/19 season and has 'Rashy' (as you patronisingly call him), on 45k p/w. No doubt his new deal is 3-4 times that. Even that puts him at roughly half of what Sanchez was reportedly on, and his contribution is massive compared to Sanchez's.

But dont worry, call him Rashy and put the club down wherever possible. It helps all parties

Rhyme Animal

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/manchester-united-player-salaries/

Check for yourself. That has wages listed for the 18/19 season and has 'Rashy' (as you patronisingly call him), on 45k p/w. No doubt his new deal is 3-4 times that. Even that puts him at roughly half of what Sanchez was reportedly on, and his contribution is massive compared to Sanchez's.

But dont worry, call him Rashy and put the club down wherever possible. It helps all parties
So you're linking something that's wildly out of date...? Brilliant work, thanks for that, genius.

I'm asking how much he's on now, not before his Ole contract.

EvilChuck

So you're linking something that's wildly out of date...? Brilliant work, thanks for that, genius.

I'm asking how much he's on now, not before his Ole contract.
Well the other link in the thread has him on 100k a week. Still not exactly mind blowing amounts for a starter in the team, who obviously does enough tactically for Ole to want him the starting 11. So calm yourself down, you're getting all worked up, cant be good.for your health

RedCurry

Why is that every time we earn/save money it's the Glazers earning it, and every time we spend it or get in debt then it's club's money?

Getting overly expensive players who aren't going to play is good for the club. Whether we got rid of right players is a different topic.

Denis79

I am as anti Glazers as it gets, I see them as parasites but this clearout was very much needed for whatever reason it was made, I believe this is the clearout Ole was talking about last season.

C'est Moi Cantona

But keeping players on bloated wages in the squad because 'we'll end up using them' isnt a good enough reason to keep them. For the wages these players are/were on they should be bonafide starters week in and week out, not options to use in an emergency.

All they do is block the younger players coming through, who may end up being shite, but without the opportunities to get some game time we will never know.

Sanchez scored 1 league goal last season. I am sure that between Greenwood, Chong, Pereira, they will be at least able to match his contribution. Daniel James has already scored double what Sanchez managed last season.

Lukaku got 12 goals in 32 games as striker. Martial got 10 in 27 from the left wing. So thats not all doom and gloom either if Martial was matching his goal output despite playing further away from the goal. I'd imagine his goals per game will increase now he plays closer to the goal, and we wont have to worry about having 200k p/w sat on the bench acting like a snowflake, sending tweets about how he is actually the best and being mistreated.

Smalling was a nightmare. One of the main reasons why we ended up playing such a low defensive line, and why the midfield had to play so deep to collect the ball. And while i agree that Rojo etc need to go as well, we cant pick and choose what order we get rid of players, just be glad they are going at all. I doubt Tuanzebe will be as bad in defence as any of the rest have been. And if he does make a mistake, at least he is young enough to learn from them and make improvements.

I think a lot of realistic fans think this will be a fun season, with some frustrating games as we are transitioning. But for the first time the transition has a target.

But there are also a lot of fans who are heaping pressure onto the kids, purely because they are replacing the fantasy football manager type squad they had built in their heads. These fans will inevitably end up disappointed, because we arent signing Dybala/Fernandes etc, despite these types of signings going completely tits up for us for years.

As has always been said, United dont buy stars, we make them
But it's called having a squad, everyone is saying Smalling has gone because we most likely didn't have any takers for Jones or Rojo, well surely that means he is the better player then, and it'll be Jones and Rojo who end up coming into the team when the injuries inevitably bite, the same goes for the strikers, I desperately wanted Lukaku out, but to not replace him just seems like madness, we now are basically one or two injuries away from having no option but to play the kids up top, and that is including Lingard in the starting lineup. Then the midfield, Mctominay is ok, but to be suddenly be rated as our second best midfielder is going some surely, we are a Pogba injury away form a disaster there.

I'm all for change, but I feel there's a bit of brainwashing going on here, the club have basically spent the summer filling the positions we should have filled last summer, but then weakened the squad by selling/losing players that we haven't replaced, all under the management of a manager who we don not know is good enough, we are now been told it's all ok because of the youth, and we will spend big in January if needs be, I'm just not buying it, we are cost cutting at rapid rate, and leaving the team dangerously exposed, I'm just not sure why.

The bolded part is something that we always have to do, just because it's gone wrong before doesn't mean we stop, we just need to get the right people attracting and buying the right players.

NWRed

Club gives players massive contracts - Ed’s a mug and we're a laughing stock

Club starts to prune the dead wood - the owners are only doing it to save money

fergiesarmy1

Club gives players massive contracts - Ed’s a mug and we're a laughing stock

Club starts to prune the dead wood - the owners are only doing it to save money
We’re paying for both of their mistakes.

Apokalips

Everyone wanted rid of these guys, but damned if you do I guess. I expect this narrative to be rehashed multiple times in the media throughout the season.

Whatever negative spin whips the fans into a frenzy is exactly what comes out then topics like these then more articles then more topics, etc.

Rhyme Animal

Well the other link in the thread has him on 100k a week. Still not exactly mind blowing amounts for a starter in the team, who obviously does enough tactically for Ole to want him the starting 11. So calm yourself down, you're getting all worked up, cant be good.for your health
Difficult to stay calm when you truly love Utd and see it being bled by parasitic, POS owners.

Dennis_Law

Supports
Aberdeen
Oh yet another thread having a go at the Glazers and the money they earn from Utd. But I hardly ever read read about a certain ex-manager who is on £3 million a year for his role as a club 'ambassador' (whatever that is) and due to events in the distant past (to do with a racehorse) was instrumental in bringing this American family into Man Utd in the first place. Why is that?

EvilChuck

Difficult to stay calm when you truly love Utd and see it being bled by parasitic, POS owners.
I'm not a fan of the Glazers at all, but think its less that they are parasitic, and more that they have been naive and were just lucky that we had Sir Alex when they bought the club. I think they scrimped for far too long when they had the magic of SAF who could roll a turd in glitter and convince you it was diamond, when he is the manager they should have let invest money into the squad before he retired.

They made a mistake letting David Moyes destroy the backroom staff that had given us so much stability and had a winning mentality, and replacing them with his team that were way out of their depth.

They made a mistake letting Moyes give Rooney a fat contract when it was clear he was on the decline, and Sir Alex had played a blinder and made Rooney basically force himself out the door.

But they cut their losses on that.

They went for an experienced, proven manager and backed him financially. But again cut their losses when it didnt work out.

Did the same thing again, and had the same outcome.

They have spaffed so much money since SAF left, too much to be honest. But there has to be a point where they reign it in and have a soft reset of the spending. Now is the perfect time for that, they have an unproven manager, the squad is awful, and expectations are at their lowest.

Ole oversees this reset, with the hope that as a club legend his status buys time for the players that remain and the ones who come in or come through.

We present the club as a stronger unit from top to bottom, clear out the shit that has been stealing wages for years, and there we have the foundation to build.

Its not a one transfer window transition. We are undoing 6 years and 3 managers (all with different styles, and therefore different purchases) worth of damage. And if you loved the club as much as you say, you'd support what they are trying to do, rather than shit on it at every turn

Revan

Assumptionman
For themselves, not a single cent more than before providing that the dividends won't increase (and there is nothing to suggest that they will). For the club, close to 40m for year (though the new contracts of Martial, Rashford and hopefully soon De Gea and Pogba) will take much of that money.

jem

Of the numerous charges one can level at the Glazers, wage thriftiness isn't one of them. In fact, I'd argue that they've been stupidly, naively generous with wages - beyond Sanchez, there are also the cases of Lingard and Rashford. I might be wrong, but doesn't Ashley Young also have a disproportionately generous wage packet?

fergiesarmy1

Oh yet another thread having a go at the Glazers and the money they earn from Utd. But I hardly ever read read about a certain ex-manager who is on £3 million a year for his role as a club 'ambassador' (whatever that is) and due to events in the distant past (to do with a racehorse) was instrumental in bringing this American family into Man Utd in the first place. Why is that?
We have a few ambassadors who all get paid, would you rather we washed our hands of him like Liverpool did with Shankley?

Alabaster Codify7

We're getting players off the payroll, we're not filling vacancies (ex DOF) and when we bring in new coaching staff we make sure they aren't really on long contracts and huge salaries. The more time passes the more I think the club is up for sale. Let the old admin get all the flak and do all the heavy lifting so that the new administration can find a clean sleet to work with.

Not yet, I don't think, but we're heading in that direction.
The Glazers are preparing for another poor season and another season out of the CL plus the negative impact of that on the income. I've been saying for a while, I think they've given up but are going to cling on and see how many more years they can squeeze out of the club. If they can somehow fluke another run of season ticket renewals (IE - if Ole is doing reasonably well, by renewal time) they will go again. If come renewal time, Ole's been sacked and we're floundering around 10th, I can see them throwing the towel in.

Denis79

Leaving a squad this thin the people upstairs can't demand top 4. We could make it, yes. But no way they can demand it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Leaving a squad this thin the people upstairs can't demand top 4. We could make it, yes. But no way they can demand it.
Keepers: DDG, Romero, Grant.

Fullbacks: AWB, Shaw, Dalot, Young, TFM, CBJ.

Centre backs: Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Rojo.

Midfielders: Pogba, Mctom, Periera, Fred, Mata, Matic.

Forwards: Martial, Rashford, James, Lingard, Greenwood, Chong.

Bar a nightmarish injury crisis, 26 players should be more than enough to have a go at top 4. Whether we make it is another matter, of course, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility given the state of the other potential top 4 rivals such as Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal or Everton, none of which look any more convincing than us. Even Liverpool look shaky at the back this season.

Denis79

Keepers: DDG, Romero, Grant.

Fullbacks: AWB, Shaw, Dalot, Young, TFM, CBJ.

Centre backs: Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Rojo.

Midfielders: Pogba, Mctom, Periera, Fred, Mata, Matic.

Forwards: Martial, Rashford, James, Lingard, Greenwood, Chong.

Bar a nightmarish injury crisis, 26 players should be more than enough to have a go at top 4. Whether we make it is another matter, of course, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility given the state of the other potential top 4 rivals such as Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal or Everton, none of which look any more convincing than us. Even Liverpool look shaky at the back this season.
Not saying we can't just that it would be wrong to expect it as a minimum. Our squad is thin in proven quality, a lot of talent but they might need time to hit the ground running.

Matt6677

Cant believe we are still going to pay 7m of Sanchez's wages despite him being out on loan. We are looking ridiculous

sunama

Baghdad Bob

We do know - it isn’t. The past couple of summers should have made it very clear but still people are saying ‘next year’.

Being played like a fiddle.
Agreed on all points.
The Glazers are milking their asset for all it's worth. I understand the reason for this. They see MUFC as a commodity and they want to extract the maximum out of it. As a businessman, I'd do exactly the same.
But what really shocks me is that fans believe that this is for the betterment of the club.
Us penny pinching last Summer and this Summer, apparently means that next Summer we will spend big. :lol:
Some on here still believe that one day, we will spend the Ronaldo (World Record sale) money. ;)

C'est Moi Cantona

So it's all SAF's fault the Glazer family have done this to our club?

Sure that makes sense to no one other than you.

Coops73

I definitely get the impression funds are being freed up & that it's not for our sake. Who would actually plan to go into a new season without replacing any of the players mentioned?

We were already short on quality & experience last season. I don't know where people get the impression we are rebuilding.
I agree, something stinks in suburbia.

Marvin-ator

Imagine spending the better part of £1 million quid a week on that dross when the smaller clubs such as Bury and Bolton barely have two pennies to rub together and are going out of business. It's shameful.
Nope. A load of tripe. It's the way of the world. You should 'cut your coat according to your cloth' - something that both clubs failed to do. It's sad but their fate has always been in the owners' hands. When I rack up debt it is me and no one else's responsibility - it isn't shameful that my neighbor is buying a new car etc.