How much money are the Glazers now saving through wages of our offloaded players?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
With the news of Smalling being the latest players to be offed from the wage-bill without being replaced, a question for those in the know regarding wages and the loan wages etc...

How much are they actually saving now a week from the list below -

Rom
Herrera
Fellaini
Valencia
Smalling
Sanchez

Obviously AWB and Maguire's wages have been added so feel free to minus those from the amount.

It just feels to me like the owners are now literally trying to squeeze every penny they can week by week.

prateik

You clearly have an agenda and are trying to shape everything that is happening to fit that.

Everyone who has left should have gone. They were overpaid and not doing anything to justify staying at United.. Ander was an exception, but he apparently wanted big wages which we were right to not agree to.

There are more players that need to go.

We fecked up. We spent more than we should have and paid way more than we should have on junk. Clearing it out is not penny pinching. Its important.

EvilChuck

It has to be close to a million a week.

Which is not a bad thing. Balance the books a bit more, and give us more financial muscle for next year while showing we wont be bent over and pay stupid wages for duff players.

You want big wages at United? You earn them.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I definitely get the impression funds are being freed up & that it's not for our sake. Who would actually plan to go into a new season without replacing any of the players mentioned?

We were already short on quality & experience last season. I don't know where people get the impression we are rebuilding.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Save wages = more profits = more money to spend and room for more wages for new players.

Not bad.

Amerifan

It has to be close to a million a week.

Which is not a bad thing. Balance the books a bit more, and give us more financial muscle for next year while showing we wont be bent over and pay stupid wages for duff players.

You want big wages at United? You earn them.
It’s a good message, and one I suspect is aimed squarely at the agents. It will serve us well as we go into what I believe will be a major buying period over the next few windows.

roonster09

Scout
Anyways just to make rough calculations.

Lukaku - 230K
Herrera - 80k
Fellaini - 120-140K
Valencia - 80K
Smalling - 80-100k
Sanchez - 200k

Around 790K-830K per week.

Then we added players like Maguire, AWB, James. New contract to Rashford, Martial and few others.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They aren't saving nearly enough considering the ability of the squad overall.

United still have the fourth-highest wage bill in Europe, behind Real, Barca and City respectively.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
All the money we earn will be nothing to when we fail to make it to the CL again. There's nothing wrong in getting rid of players but first you must make sure you remain competitive.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
With the news of Smalling being the latest players to be offed from the wage-bill without being replaced, a question for those in the know regarding wages and the loan wages etc...

Rom
Herrera
Fellaini
Valencia
Smalling
Sanchez

Obviously AWB and Maguire's wages have been added so feel free to minus those from the amount.

It just feels to me like the owners are now literally trying to squeeze every penny they can week by week.
Lots of mistakes have been made - and subsequently money wasted by signing the wrong players for exorbitant fees and offering high wages to our players, especially the average dross.

Maybe they’re finally trying to correct this, who knows. But we can’t complain about the wage bill, deadwood and transfer fees etc. on the one hand and then also complain when seemingly they’re trying to rectify it.

I guess we just have to be patient, for a season, and see if any of the freed up wages and transfer fees saved/underinvested this window, will be spent in January or next summer. If not, then I guess we know the answer/motives!

C'est Moi Cantona

You clearly have an agenda and are trying to shape everything that is happening to fit that.

Everyone who has left should have gone. They were overpaid and not doing anything to justify staying at United.. Ander was an exception, but he apparently wanted big wages which we were right to not agree to.

We fecked up. We spent more than we should have and paid way more than we should have on junk. Clearing it out is not penny pinching. Its important.
It's a perfectly legitimate thing to think, so to dismiss it as an 'agenda' is a bit harsh.

Yes clear them out, but we don't have to do it all at once, when we've clearly not bought the number of players Ole wanted, it does scream of money saving, rather than a well thought out plan.

fergiesarmy1

Save wages = more profits = more money to spend and room for more wages for new players.

Not bad.
Sounds like a plan though I have my doubts about how much of these profits are intended for the squad or stadium than to pay interest rates, dividends and the back pockets of the clowns in charge.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The OP did a great spin job on this one. Amazing how so many people want most of these guys gone but once they are it's turned into "more money for the Glazers". I guess the OP would rather we kept those players and paid their wages to sit on the bench just so it wouldn't mean more money in the greedy hands of our owners....sigh

fps

I agree with you, and find the OP's post pretty nonsensical in what it's trying to imply. This is a bloated squad unfit for purpose, there are too many players and it's not a surprise that the ones who aren't playing or the manager doesn't want are being removed.

As for wages, if they're trying to rebalance the wages after Sanchez and all the other ridiculous wage packages, GOOD.

romufc

The players are leaving because they needed to go. The wages are not saved, they are better used in other areas.

Once we sell and get our squad down to bare bones, we can then build the squad rather than mix and match.

roonster09

Scout
Sounds like a plan though I have my doubts about how much of these profits are intended for the squad or stadium than to pay interest rates, dividends and the back pockets of the clowns in charge.
Yeah, lets wait and see. But just going by the numbers published, our wage bill was huge and squad was too big. So we had to cut down the numbers both on squad places and wages to make room for new players.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Lukaku - 230K
Herrera - 80k
Fellaini - 120-140K
Valencia - 80K
Smalling - 80-100k
Sanchez - 200k

Then we added players like Maguire, AWB, James. New contract to Rashford, Martial and few others.
Imagine spending the better part of £1 million quid a week on that dross when the smaller clubs such as Bury and Bolton barely have two pennies to rub together and are going out of business. It's shameful.

EvilChuck

It's a perfectly legitimate thing to think, so to dismiss it as an 'agenda' is a bit harsh.

Yes clear them out, but we don't have to do it all at once, when we've clearly not bought the number of players Ole wanted, it does scream of money saving, rather than a well thought out plan.
But why bother keeping them on the books when we arent going to use them? Doesnt matter if we havent replaced them, whether we had or not they wouldnt be getting a game so lets not waste money on bench warmers.

devilish

The players are leaving because they needed to go. The wages are not saved, they are better used in other areas.

Once we sell and get our squad down to bare bones, we can then build the squad rather than mix and match.
that's not how a competitive side works. You don't kiss your chance to CL qualification goodbye to spare some short change on salary. What you do is to get rid of deadwood on one side and concurrently add new players on the other.

devilish

We're getting players off the payroll, we're not filling vacancies (ex DOF) and when we bring in new coaching staff we make sure they aren't really on long contracts and huge salaries. The more time passes the more I think the club is up for sale. Let the old admin get all the flak and do all the heavy lifting so that the new administration can find a clean sleet to work with.

dev1l

Lukaku - 230K
Herrera - 80k
Fellaini - 120-140K
Valencia - 80K
Smalling - 80-100k
Sanchez - 200k

If Herrera renewed he would have been on 200K. (our offer was 150K.apparently)
Martial is reportedly on 250K and Rashford somewhere between 200 and 300K if reports are to be believed.
Also, I think the figures are net of tax so in reality the cost for the club is the sum multiplied by 1.45. But I stand to be corrected on this

roonster09

Scout
If Herrera renewed he would have been on 200K. (our offer was 150K.apparently)
Martial is reportedly on 250K and Rashford somewhere between 200 and 300K if reports are to be believed.
Also, I think the figures are net of tax so in reality the cost for the club is the sum multiplied by 1.45. But I stand to be corrected on this
Those are gross wages, not net. In England wages are reported before tax.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Rom
Herrera
Fellaini
Valencia
Smalling
Sanchez

Do you really think the board are sending players out on loan from under the managers nose just to save on wages?

Gopher Brown

Rom
Herrera
Fellaini
Valencia
Smalling
Sanchez

Great to save money. Even more money saved considering we've only replaced Smalling and Valencia. Maybe we can save even more money next season by avoiding long-distance away games in the Champions League or Europa League.

fergiesarmy1

Great to save money. Even more money saved considering we've only replaced Smalling and Valencia. Maybe we can save even more money next season by avoiding long-distance away games in the Champions League or Europa League.
:lol: - 50/50 chance of that I’d say, about 20/80 on that thing called champions league.

roonster09

Scout
Do you really think the board are sending players out on loan from under the managers nose just to save on wages?
No, Ole is part of this. He is Glazer puppet and only hired to save the money :D

C'est Moi Cantona

But why bother keeping them on the books when we arent going to use them? Doesnt matter if we havent replaced them, whether we had or not they wouldnt be getting a game so lets not waste money on bench warmers.
Because we would end up using them, the season is long, and we are in EL, it's hardly pushing it to say the players we haven't replaced - Sanchez, Herrera, & Lukaku, wouldn't have come in handy there, and a player like Smalling wouldn't end up getting an extended run in the team.

I'm all for clearing them out, but let's get a couple more replacements in first, it if not at least get the worst players out first - Rojo, Darmian, Mata, etc, or we'll just end up playing them when the going gets tough.

To me a lot of people are expecting all this kids to be top class straight away, so all will be good.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
All the money we earn will be nothing to when we fail to make it to the CL again. There's nothing wrong in getting rid of players but first you must make sure you remain competitive.
That's the thing, we're not competitive at all right now. The club had months to prepare for this coming year too. This year was supposed to be us having a new director of football in place, bringing in our targets early (after-all that's why Ole was made permanent so soon right?) and making sure of CL in light of the sponsor cuts & De Gea/Pogba's impending departures.

We've ended this summer with no mention of a DoF at all, the experienced players being let go without being replaced from our already inexperienced squad, De Gea/Pogba's futures likely to be elsewhere next summer and an extremely likely chance we will end up yet again outside the CL places this season.

That's supposed to be us rebuilding?

At the most optimistic we're no better off than last season. In my view we've gone backwards.

All this points to us being led down the proverbial garden path by the suits in charge.

romufc

that's not how a competitive side works. You don't kiss your chance to CL qualification goodbye to spare some short change on salary. What you do is to get rid of deadwood on one side and concurrently add new players on the other.
It is how it works if you want to build a squad to challenge rather than one you patch up.

Adcuth

I imagine given the shite we've signed, the plan this window was to sure up the defence and then ship out the dross thus freeing up fumds for wages. Then next year we'll spend big if progress is made

izzydiggler

I imagine given the shite we've signed, the plan this window was to sure up the defence and then ship out the dross thus freeing up fumds for wages. Then next year we'll spend big if progress is made

Yeah right.

EvilChuck

Because we would end up using them, the season is long, and we are in EL, it's hardly pushing it to say the players we haven't replaced - Sanchez, Herrera, & Lukaku, wouldn't have come in handy there, and a player like Smalling wouldn't end up getting an extended run in the team.

I'm all for clearing them out, but let's get a couple more replacements in first, it if not at least get the worst players out first - Rojo, Darmian, Mata, etc, or we'll just end up playing them when the going gets tough.

To me a lot of people are expecting all this kids to be top class straight away, so all will be good.
But keeping players on bloated wages in the squad because 'we'll end up using them' isnt a good enough reason to keep them. For the wages these players are/were on they should be bonafide starters week in and week out, not options to use in an emergency.

All they do is block the younger players coming through, who may end up being shite, but without the opportunities to get some game time we will never know.

Sanchez scored 1 league goal last season. I am sure that between Greenwood, Chong, Pereira, they will be at least able to match his contribution. Daniel James has already scored double what Sanchez managed last season.

Lukaku got 12 goals in 32 games as striker. Martial got 10 in 27 from the left wing. So thats not all doom and gloom either if Martial was matching his goal output despite playing further away from the goal. I'd imagine his goals per game will increase now he plays closer to the goal, and we wont have to worry about having 200k p/w sat on the bench acting like a snowflake, sending tweets about how he is actually the best and being mistreated.

Smalling was a nightmare. One of the main reasons why we ended up playing such a low defensive line, and why the midfield had to play so deep to collect the ball. And while i agree that Rojo etc need to go as well, we cant pick and choose what order we get rid of players, just be glad they are going at all. I doubt Tuanzebe will be as bad in defence as any of the rest have been. And if he does make a mistake, at least he is young enough to learn from them and make improvements.

I think a lot of realistic fans think this will be a fun season, with some frustrating games as we are transitioning. But for the first time the transition has a target.

But there are also a lot of fans who are heaping pressure onto the kids, purely because they are replacing the fantasy football manager type squad they had built in their heads. These fans will inevitably end up disappointed, because we arent signing Dybala/Fernandes etc, despite these types of signings going completely tits up for us for years.

As has always been said, United dont buy stars, we make them

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I feel the same way.

If Ole can prove himself competent enough, the board will have no problem issuing him the funds required to spend big on the midfield and attack.

talking robot

I think Solskjaer is creating the cultural conditions necessary (but not sufficient) for success. Honestly I'm happy to see all these players go, including Herrera and Smalling. Solskjaer is giving himself control over the players who remain by getting rid of players who haven't delivered and establishing a credible threat over the rest. He can honestly look at a player who may not be pushing themselves hard enough or applying themselves in the right way and say "do what I tell you or you're out." Without being able to enforce discipline across the squad, a manager isn't worth anything, and he has given himself the tools he needs to do that. A second cultural advantage is that by getting rid of players over-earning relative to their contributions and trophies, he's also reducing potential jealousy or ill will within in the squad ("why is Sanchez earning 5 times my wages when he produces nothing?") which can have a negative knock-on effect on mood and mentality. Our talent identification is probably nowhere close to where it needs to be given the lack of leadership and modern management structure, but if we could upskill in that area I think Solskjaer is re-creating a culture within the squad which can lead to long term success.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
The people who are talking about paying so big a wage are the exact same one who do not go to a game, pay for the premiership and buy fake jersey's

You guys make me sick

Mark Pawelek

... Clearing it out is not penny pinching. Its important.
I think Solskjaer is creating the cultural conditions necessary (but not sufficient) for success ...
Top contributions.

Glazers will never spend the amount of money United need to buy PL title. Especially not in today's hyper-inflated market. The alternative route must involve youth development. United need to identify top youth talent. Bring them in. Play them when they are ready. So mere squad players need to move on because it's no longer worth keeping a reserve who'll play only 10 games a season. Better to give the place to a youth player whom coaches identify as a potential top player. It may be a rough ride but the alternative is permanently fighting for 4th place; permanent runners-up by a long way.

Last edited: