How much threat do we face from the clubs below us?

Will Singh

We ain't as bad as it looks, we are about 3/4 top class players away from getting back into the top 4. Where we lack is the direction the club is going as there isn't no structure or common goal from top to bottom.

I think there is something terrible wrong in that dressing room and needs sorting ASAP as we've now got academy players taking the piss.

lysglimt

Scout
If we do a decent job in the summer - not a big concern. If we don't do a decent job in the summer - a concern.

Sir Scott McToMinay

If Pogba and De Gea leave that leaves our squad in a place where it is about Everton’s level.
But in that case we’ll surely bring a big player in as well, so there’s that.

dogwithabone

2 games trend and 10 games trend are the same. Well done sir. Hats off to you
Well no but that argument is as silly as people saying we will finish bottom half or mid table. Will not happen and will be a miracle if we were overtaken by an Everton or Wolves. Without looking it up I’m guessing we must have finished 10 or 12 points ahead of them as it is and that was limping home for the last dozen games while your Everton's, Wolves’ and Leicester’s were on fire.

Yes, there’s problems and it’s tough times but bottom half after a summer of recruitment under a new management structure yet to have control of a transfer window ? Nope, sorry to dampen your negativity but it will not happen next season or any foreseeable season. Top six next year will be the same top six this season, different order absolutely possible though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This again, really? He’s right. It’s not a loser mentality to be real and honest about the situation. It was different with Moyes since he inherited a title-winning squad. This team is dysfunctional and I’d question any manager that was talking about the league title. There’s a difference between talking up the squad and being flat out delusional. Right now, if we were to go in to next season with the exact same squad (minus Herrera), our big challenge for the season would be fighting off Wolves and Everton, not pushing for the title, or even top four.
If you believe that, I wonder what you'd think if Mourinho had said that. Ole seems to have succeeded where Mourinho failed for the most part, in massively bringing down expectations.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We need to be very careful, with Wolves especially, they have the means and more importantly the connections to land high quality players. Leicester have handled themselves very well in the last few seasons, Maguire and Pereira have both been very impressive signings. With teams in the PL having so much money these days it's also a lot harder for us to poach their best players, which has always been an effective tactic at holding off the chasing pack. A big issue for both teams is what their eventual plans to replace Vardy and Moutinho will be, both players are 32 and have very few years left at the top and remain among their respective clubs' best players.

Thing is, we only need a few quality signings to be in a different league to them really, if we fill the holes in our squad well then we’re only looking upwards and not at the teams below. Despite what some would have you believe, we were better than both Wolves and Leicester this season, if we strengthen well, we'll continue to be better than them.

Infra-red

I think all of United, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea could potentially be vulnerable to a surge from Leicester, Everton or Wolves.

I suppose whether we succumb to that fate really depends which United show up next season.

United under Solskjaer the caretaker manager would comfortably finish ahead of these sides.

However, with Solskjaer as the permanent manager, we sit 15th in the form table. If that United shows up next year, we'll be facing a relegation scrap.

Roboc7

We were useless for most of the season and were only 6 points off third and had a slightly bigger gap to 7th.

We distract attention from reality that other than the top two no one else is that good really. Wolves, Everton and Leicester could all be much closer next season but I don’t think it would that difficult for us to finish third either.

Should forget about who is above or below us and try to build a balanced team with a structure and style of play. Do that well (which given our record isn’t a certainty) and we’ve nothing to worry about.

Von Mistelroum

A genuine threat actually. I don't see us losing the players and weak mentality that we would need to lose, or getting the kind of players we'd need to replace them in one window. If we make the expected 4 signings, we'll likely still have the likes of Jones, Young and Lingard as starters next season. The teams below us might have slightly less talent, but they have more ambition, drive and fight in them.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We're in the era of systems and organisation trumping individual quality. And we don't have the former. Worse, we don't realise we don't have it and endlessly complain about the latter. So yes, it's a real danger.

RuudTom83

If United and Arsenal actually do something that is a benefit to their clubs then the sides below have zero chance.

Even with the turmoil of manager changes and record breaking stats in the wrong direction...the likes of Wolves, Leicester still finishes below them.

Next season Wolves will find it harder because teams will be better at combating them.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Get a manager that is not good enough, not surprised that the perspective have changed to lower our standards. These players that people declare to be so bad has Ole in third place in Ole table. A lot of these players are good enough to challenge for the title, so there shouldn’t be any concern about some of the other team below us if we continue to outspend them significantly. However, with how competitive the premier league is getting, we might expand the top 6 to the top 7 or top 8. Arsenal and Spurs has more to worry about as their squad is not deep enough to challenge for European competition and domestic competition at the moment.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
We're in the era of systems and organisation trumping individual quality. And we don't have the former. Worse, we don't realise we don't have it and endlessly complain about the latter. So yes, it's a real danger.
This.

When our Under 23s beat your Under 23s recently, I had quite a few conversations with Man United fans about how our 1st team and every single youth team play the same way, to make transitioning easier etc. I couldn't believe this isn't done at United, with the amount of young talent you have on your books.

It's almost as though complacency has crept in and your board don't think you have to do everything you can to improve or be better, as you will always be up there anyway.

You only have to read some of the comments on this thread to see some fans think you'll always finish in the top 6 regardless of what is (or isn't) happening behind the scenes.

Maticmaker

Ole's comments about clubs catching us up is in my opinion a dig upwards to Woodward, he is saying to Ed (as the CEO) look not only have we finished way behind City and Liverpool, but these other clubs are using us as a target to haul themselves up the league.

Its a smart move for me, because Ole is not on Woodward's level and whilst there is no DoF in place, his ability to manage 'upwards' as well as downwards will be crucial in the next twelve months, even more so over the close season.

Personally I don't want Ole strutting about telling us everything's OK when we all know it isn't, just to put a 'face on', its not as some would see it Ole surrendering its a statement of fact. We've had enough stories of past glories from the Fergie era from our ex-players and rousing speeches from the current players, who then promptly fail to deliver.

Ole's big test is not knowing what wants doing, its about doing it and about garnering support from Woodward as well as the fans.

Hulksmash

The threat is very big. Teams are getting better and there's a shortage of top players.

Even Fullham can spend 100Million pounds now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well no but that argument is as silly as people saying we will finish bottom half or mid table. Will not happen and will be a miracle if we were overtaken by an Everton or Wolves. Without looking it up I’m guessing we must have finished 10 or 12 points ahead of them as it is and that was limping home for the last dozen games while your Everton's, Wolves’ and Leicester’s were on fire.

Yes, there’s problems and it’s tough times but bottom half after a summer of recruitment under a new management structure yet to have control of a transfer window ? Nope, sorry to dampen your negativity but it will not happen next season or any foreseeable season. Top six next year will be the same top six this season, different order absolutely possible though.
I say IF our form continues. IF

You based your optimism on hope. Mine is based on the fact that we get 8 our 30 pts in our last 10 games and you call me silly?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Yes, it's very difficult comparing players that are in form, against players that are out of form.

On paper, a lot of your players are clearly better. Pogba is unplayable when on form, as demonstrated in Ole's early results.

But football is all about opinions. Ask any Wolves fan at the moment if they would swap any of our side for any of your players? There might be a few that want player like De Gea, Lindelof or Rashford, but there won't be many. Pogba would make us a much better side on paper, but I certainly wouldn't want the toxicity that comes with him (not all his own doing).

Wolves had issues this season beating sides who defended deep and didn't play football. We were the only side to lose twice to Huddersfield as a result. If we hadn't had those issues, we might have finished above you this season! I expect that we will sign a more creative midfield player this summer to try and help to address this issue.

That's one problem we have that will be addressed. Everything else on and off the pitch is working together like and absolute dream.

With your current issues on and off the pitch, you are a lot closer to teams like Wolves, Everton and Leicester than you are to Liverpool and City at the moment.
This is all true but United wont stand still in the summer. We are also miles behind City and Lpool but we are much closer to 3rd in Chelsea than any club below us.

shiranaiotoko

But who is below us atm? We lost with fecking... oh, what was it, again? Well, with teams who got relegated :P Half of the championship would beat us with such poor form.

Paul_Scholes18

Just wait until we lose against Sheffield United on the opening day of the season.
Then we end up making some late transfers LVG and Moyes style. None of those late ones worked too well. I guess Martial has been fine even if not a big sucess. Fellaini was probably the best value one which says it all.

Sir Avram Glazer

Supports
Lower League Football
They're no threat. They're good teams but you'll simply continue to outspend them and therefore have better players, even if it happens they aren't coached quite as well.

Infra-red

Then we end up making some late transfers LVG and Moyes style. None of those late ones worked too well. I guess Martial has been fine even if not a big sucess. Fellaini was probably the best value one which says it all.
Normally I'd expect a late August scramble from us, but with the early window closing time, I believe we only have 63 days from the Champions League Final until transfer deadline day.

An awful lot to do in a short space of time!

Negan

We will be 8th to 10th next season with this manager and these players. Mark my words.

Canagel

There should be no threat. With our embrassing start and ends we still ended close to 3rd. we'll still be spending more money than small clubs. There's no reason to be overtaken by any small clubs in the near future.

Steven-UK

We will be 8th to 10th next season with this manager and these players. Mark my words.
That's what I don't understand. The whole football world can see that we need huge changes, not just the players, and the manager, but the way the club is run.

This is a GLOBAL club, a brand that pulls in extraordinary amounts of revenue, so with sponsors and so much to lose commercially, why don't the board of directors step up and actually see what everybody else sees? These directors are business people, and are not stupid, but it's like they just do not see what is happening.

Giving OGS the job so early, even going as far as the rumours about Darren Fletcher possibly take the DOF role. It is beyond ridiculous, and no way did such lack of business acumen get these people into their current positions.

Makes no sense.

Sterling Archer

Hard for me to place this in context. Chelsea went from 10th to record beating points Champions the very next season.

I will be concerned not for next season but the season after if the signs aren't there

cyril C

You are too optimistic. 2 Wins out of 10 games, we will be bottom 3. So every clubs below us will get their chance.

SaintMuppet

It’s an absolute crisis. The world is ending and we are guaranteed to get relegated when Ole loses control of the wheel and the bus careers over a cliff.

Hand me that rope will you....

POF

The negativity permeating throughout the club at the moment is the most worrying part. It will become self fulfilling.

All of the talk that it will "take years" to get back to competing may be true, but it is only true because the senior management team at the club is so incompetent. They will find it hard to attract or retain players because every noise from the club is about how far away from competing they are.

The club needs to implement a style of play under a positive progressive manager, a coherent strategy to recruit high quality players to implement that strategy and a senior management team to support that.

Liverpool may be way ahead of United just now but if Van Dijk and Salah or Mane get injured or lose form, are they anything special? Matip and Lovren/Gomes at the back. Milner/Henderson in midfield. Shaqiri/Origi in attack. Bang average players that play above themselves because they are expertly coached in a clear and successful style.

Why should it take years to compete against that? 4-5 months ago, this group of players under this management team beat Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs away from home. Apart from the Spurs game they were comprehensive dominant performances. Why will it take years to get back to that again?

It's a recurring theme with players and managers at the club just now. The longer they stay, the worse they get and the more disillusioned they become. It is by far the most worrying thing about the club right now. It only took a few months to turn Mr Positivity Ole as miserable as Jose.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Depends on how well managed we are.

If we are well managed we should in the top 4 and pushing for 3rd. If we aren't, then anything can happen. Shows how little people expect from Ole when he's apparently not supposed to improve the collective and individuals and this current team in a rot is what everyone has deemed us to be for all intents and purposes. This lowering of expectations is also worrying.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not worried at all. Despite how good Wolves were we still finished 9 points ahead. I don't see Wolves getting significantly better to close that gap and we can only improve from the dross we've been serving up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In a season where we have been very inconsistent, had an injury crisis, a change of manager and then ended the season terribly, we finished 9 points above the next team. This is pure sensationalism.
Agree. Barring Ole turning out to be atrocious manager.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If you believe that, I wonder what you'd think if Mourinho had said that. Ole seems to have succeeded where Mourinho failed for the most part, in massively bringing down expectations.
Ole hasn't brought down expectation, our team has been doing that this season.
He just isn't deluded