How much time is enough time to gauge Ole?

beingshe7don

I've been hearing all the Ole sympathizers mention that he needs time and he's done such a great job getting rid of the deadwood (with the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini, Smalling) and so on. But is that all what's required to succeed as manager of this club? I mean if we look back at our tactics, we essentially have progressed from the Jose style of play where we sit back and try to counter attack. This is by no means a knee-jerk reactionary post. I mean I can admit that Ole wasn't given the resources BUT tactically speaking, I haven't seen anything for us to believe that Ole has what it takes to succeed at United. The first three months of his OT career was incredible but since his permanency, he's managed to have a 20% win percentage after today's defeat to West Ham.

Just wanted to ask the CAF, how long would each of you give him till you decide to state that Ole just isn't the right man to lead United (despite him being a United legend and his great intentions)?

AC1689

Are you able to edit the thread title? Should read gauge instead of gage.

He’s already had enough time. The team is lifeless, gutless and clueless after six games.

beingshe7don

Are you able to edit the thread title? Should read gauge instead of gage.

He’s already had enough time. The team is lifeless, gutless and clueless after six games.
Gage is how its spelled in America. But sure....

Tyrion

I'd give him until December or January. I don't think anything we could do in January would significantly help us anyway so I don't care if we change managers in the middle of it.

EASTSIDE777

I cannot see Ole turning this around. Majority of the managers in the PL are far better then him. The next 3 games will be tough.

JK-27

Ole was appointed as a temporary manager, Woodfraud then back tracked on the plan to find another manager this summer and appointed Ole near the end of last season. Ever since that appointment, our form has been atrocious, our play has been boring, we leak goals, and we think the fix to our squad woes is to let the likes of Lukaku and Herrera go, to buy a championship player, and to put faith in McTominay and Pereira as our midfield dynamo.

Not won an away game since March, haven't gone more than 2 games with a clean sheet. Bournemouth have scored more goals than us this season. We've got the same points tally as Sheffield United.

We've gone backwards.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Ole was appointed as a temporary manager, Woodfraud then back tracked on the plan to find another manager this summer and appointed Ole near the end of last season. Ever since that appointment, our form has been atrocious, our play has been boring, we leak goals, and we think the fix to our squad woes is to let the likes of Lukaku and Herrera go, to buy a championship player, and to put faith in McTominay and Pereira as our midfield dynamo.

Not won an away game since March, haven't gone more than 2 games with a clean sheet. Bournemouth have scored more goals than us this season. We've got the same points tally as Sheffield United.

We've gone backwards.
That's somewhat revisionist, given a significant portion of the fanbase was clamouring for Ole's appointment.

JK-27

That's somewhat revisionist, given a significant portion of the fanbase was clamouring for Ole's appointment.
How is it revisionist? Since when did us fans decide appointments? Or are you suggesting Woodfraud basis his decisions on fans? Because if he does no wonder we're fecked.

Greck

Any answer beyond this season is blind faith. He should not get another season if in the ton of time that is now to May these tactical failings continue to feature weekly. How is his top target Sancho going to come here otherwise? Ole will be avoided like a garbage truck by any player that can be a cornerstone to our rebuild. Giving him a window in that situation will be moot

RedDevil@84

Just wanted to ask the CAF, how long would each of you give him till you decide to state that Ole just isn't the right man to lead United (despite him being a United legend and his great intentions)?
1 season at least.
We are a 5th-6th kind of team and the clown at the top has handicapped Ole and everyone else by letting players go and not replacing them. So our position being somewhere along top 8 should not surprise anyone. Most of the top managers out there rely on the management getting them quality players (be it from outside or academy). In absence of either, there is little anyone can do.
A top manager might take us top 4 a season maybe, but it would be like Jose's season where we finished 2nd and then just fell off the cliff. Our top management is geared to make us fail.

And before someone gets in the "But we have spent 400M" or something like that, it is only because we are in this habit if throwing hell lot of money at average players in the market.

Green_Red

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that a new manager is not going to help this team. Only rebuilding the squad is going to do it. Theres no magic pill anyone could give these payers to suddenly make them title contenders. Ole should be given the time it takes to rebuild the squad regardless of where we end up in the league.

USREDEVIL

Give him the year. If he finishes out of top four, even with this squad, I saw we consider our options. If he wins the Europa League or gets fourth i'm still on his bandwagon. He's got a positive vibe at the club, got rid of a ton of deadwood, and has signed young and promising players so far (can't say any of them haven't impressed regularly). Can't sign an entire squad in one window can he? I'm being patient i guess. Whether we undergo this turbulence with Ole or another manager, it's going to happen so buckle up buttercup.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

This was going to be inevitable with the stance/direction the board has taken. Buy young talents while getting rid of the misfits. There's still work to be done with the building of this squad and still more deadwood to ship out. I don't think Ole will be there to see it through, but whoever the next manager is, they have the unenviable task to stick with this direction the club has taken.

Irwin99

I think he should be given the full season. I doubt any manager could come in and guarantee us top 4 with this squad anyway. We committed to making a ludicrous gamble on our attacking and midfield options this summer and we'll just have to see it through. I'm not sure if Ole is right for the job but it's the structure of the club that's the main problem and that's where the anger should be directed.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
For me, 6 months is easily long enough to gauge any manager in the modern game.

And I don't look down on clubs for acting proactively when it comes to sacking failing managers - if anything, I look down on clubs who wait until it's a reactive decision (as our board has done every time a manager needs replacing...).

In a few months OGS will have been coaching this group for a year.

The footy's rubbish, the results are rubbish, and the excuses are getting increasingly daft from many of his supporters.

Let him go - and bring in a manager who at least deserves the honour of coaching a club the size of Utd.

JMack1234

I'd give him until the end of season.

It'll give us some form of stability and more than enough time to access Ole. Otherwise what are we going to do? Sack Ole in December, bring in a club legend and give them the job on the back of new manager bounce?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I feel like we're heading in the right direction. Our squad is lacking severely in some places but I'm confident itll be addressed just like the defence has been addressed. I don't think Ole will win the biggest trophies really, but I feel he can do enough of a rebuild job in the mean time and get some youngsters through. The main thing is always to see signs of continuous improvement, and a plan for how to address the problems. Our problems are a squad light on experienced attackers. Can only be addressed in the transfer market, which Ole has done well in so far with those he got rid of and brought in. Just needs more of it.

vivaronaldo

this isnt the job to be doing your apprenticeship ....in over his head and signed because he beat psg away

and when he gets the chop , take the glazers and woodward with you , the real culpits of this mess

Denis79

For me, 6 months is easily long enough to gauge any manager in the modern game.

And I don't look down on clubs for acting proactively when it comes to sacking failing managers - if anything, I look down on clubs who wait until it's a reactive decision (as our board has done every time a manager needs replacing...).

In a few months OGS will have been coaching this group for a year.

The footy's rubbish, the results are rubbish, and the excuses are getting increasingly daft from many of his supporters.

Let him go - and bring in a manager who at least deserves the honour of coaching a club the size of Utd.
I was and still am of the opinion that Ole was blind-sided by our board this window and I'm not surprised we look so bad with just a few injuries. He's not been given a proper shot at the job in my opinion. Whatever we think of Ole, Woodward or Jose the fact is that a less experienced manager was given a weaker team after a disastrous last season.

I know there are a lot of fans in both camps regarding Ole but I'm smack in the middle. I feel he hasn't been given a proper chance at the job and I want to see what ge can do but what worries me isn't his tactical know-how, we all knew he wouldn't do better there than Mourinho but I expected Ole to raise our current squad, instill confidence, make football fun for them again. I have yet to see some significant improvement in our allegedly talented players from last season. Instead Ole looks beat down and tired, just like our players.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I think he should be given the full season. I doubt any manager could come in and guarantee us top 4 with this squad anyway. We committed to making a ludicrous gamble on our attacking and midfield options this summer and we'll just have to see it through. I'm not sure if Ole is right for the job but it's the structure of the club that's the main problem and that's where the anger should be directed.
How many managers would have taken over a squad and 9 months later made it weaker.

beingshe7don

I think people need to come to terms with the fact that a new manager is not going to help this team. Only rebuilding the squad is going to do it. Theres no magic pill anyone could give these payers to suddenly make them title contenders. Ole should be given the time it takes to rebuild the squad regardless of where we end up in the league.
Ole does not have the tactical ability to get the best of the team. It has nothing to do with rebuilding. We don't need a rebuild to beat the likes of Southampton and West Ham.

UnitedChampionsAgain

His head is on the block already. What we need is 3 new managers per season. With the customary "bounce" which comes with each new manager we would be nailed on for the title.

beingshe7don

1 season at least.
We are a 5th-6th kind of team and the clown at the top has handicapped Ole and everyone else by letting players go and not replacing them. So our position being somewhere along top 8 should not surprise anyone. Most of the top managers out there rely on the management getting them quality players (be it from outside or academy). In absence of either, there is little anyone can do.
A top manager might take us top 4 a season maybe, but it would be like Jose's season where we finished 2nd and then just fell off the cliff. Our top management is geared to make us fail.

And before someone gets in the "But we have spent 400M" or something like that, it is only because we are in this habit if throwing hell lot of money at average players in the market.
Ed may have handicapped Ole but Ed doesn't get Ole to pick Matic or keep playing a 4-2-3-1 or play Mata for 80 odd min when the guy is past it. Tactically, Ole hasn't offered anything. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Pereira cannot play as a RM and we still continue to play him in that position.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Play youths he says while continuously putting out useless old players.

He lost my respect as a manager the moment he started playing favourites and team decisions were made based on that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Depends, at least until Dec/Jan, or end of this season if there’s still chance we can finish top 4.

passing-wind

If our board had any common sense December but I really do reckon he'll get the entire season.

Abhinav

I don’t see any promising/ world class manager coming in with the state of the squad as it is now. No one is risking their reputation with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood as the forward options - its a recipe for disaster and its the one thing that had me worried at the start of the season.
Ole needs to be given the season for him to show progression and improvement. If we don’t improve significantly, unfortunately that will be it for him.

More importantly, we need a miracle to happen at the board room level and hope they relieve Ed Woodward of his footballing responsibilities. Giving the idiot another opportunity to make a managerial appointment is a recipe for disaster. We need to have a DOF/ Footballing CEO to make better player/manager recruiting decisions, because we are far behind the top 2 right now.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Get back to the 433 where we had an established style or feck off asap.

Tarrou

I'm not sure any amount of time will help with the squad this thin - he's toast

Disaster of a summer not bringing in more reinforcements

The only hope he had was to get lucky with injuries, but that isn't happening clearly

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There are reasons why our previous world class manager simply didnt just slaughter the deadwoods.

They're being realistic that you need bodies and no board will allow you to sign new starting xi no matter how much they're promised.

Ole is just too naive and too quick to clearsale everything

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Best post in here. It really is that easy

Eriku

If only people understood that sometimes you have to take a few steps backwards before you can move forwards. Not saying it’s nailed on to work, but this summer we were told it was going to take time, and now people are apoplectic over the fact that we don’t seem to be likely to challenge City and Liverpool.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've pretty much lost faith already. I'm seeing the exact same problems, and he's been in charge for what now, 30 or so games?

I remember watching Klopp's first match in charge. I think it was against Tottenham. And you could see his imprint instantly. Of course in his case it wasn't just the new manager bump as he elevated that initial imprint.

And I can see the same thing in Lampard's Chelsea. Whether they are successful is another matter.

But I just don't see it with Ole, sadly. I really wanted this to work but I fail to see how he's good enough and what he offers. I said December /end of season initially. But im slowly coming around the bitter idea that his time is almost up, already.

amolbhatia50k

If only people understood that sometimes you have to take a few steps backwards before you can move forwards. Not saying it’s nailed on to work, but this summer we were told it was going to take time, and now people are apoplectic over the fact that we don’t seem to be likely to challenge City and Liverpool.
Do think anybody right now is particularly bothered about not challenging City and Liverpool. But it's fair to suggest that 19 points in 19 games, considering the football that we've played in that period, is a reflection of a manager who simply isn't good enough. I don't mind the argument that he deserves this season or till December to turn it around. But I can see the merit in the other view too.

Also it had to be said that sometimes going backwards just means you're going backwards with no inevitable forward movement on the horizon.

RedCurry

Unless we go on an unlikely winning streak, every loss/draw will make it much harder for his supporters to back him. It’s always self-fulfilling unless he gets a bit of luck and some players take it upon themselves to lift the team.

amolbhatia50k

Unless we go on an unlikely winning streak, every loss/draw will make it much harder for his supporters to back him. It’s always self-fulfilling unless he gets a bit of luck and some players take it upon themselves to lift the team.
If we do go on a bit of a run I suspect it'll be like that run where Martial and co 'saved' Mourinho. Sigh, it doesn't feel good to feel so hopeless.

amolbhatia50k

Good thing for Ole is that we have Arsenal next I guess.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

While he did quite a good job with getting rid of some players and bringing in James and AWB (still not 100 % convinced that Maguire is worth his money) our football has become even worse since he is here.
No real plan, back 5 is solid overall (looking at the prices and wages they better should be!) but a terrible midfield and no clue going forward.
Bad line-up decisions and zero input from the side line.

Why he did not start Fred yesterday and played what might be the worst midfield the PL has seen this season is beyond me.