How much trouble are Liverpool in?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In Klopp’s seventh season with Dortmund they flirted with the relegation places before they eventually clawed their way back to a seventh place finish. They won just one of six matches against the three best teams in the league.

This is his seventh season at Liverpool and things are not going well so far. To put it mildly.

Is this just a blip and they’ll be neck and neck in a battle for first place again very soon?

Or are in they facing the same grim struggle for European football that Dortmund went through in 2014/15?

Zen86

They might be in for another season like the one before last. They’ll pick up form and make top 4, but a title challenge is probably out the window already.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not sure it resembles his Dortmund stint too much. They're suffering in midfield and the team generally seems to be a bit unready for the season. But I'd be amazed if they're not in the top 4 come the end of the season.

Selling Mane will cost them, but they are lacking a lot of depth due to injuries. Seems most of their fans are worried about midfield, and rightly so. They could do with one quality addition in there, at least.

Skills

Snitch
Liverpool supporting mate has been complaining about their midfield for ages.

Classical Mechanic

His teams are volatile. Only a couple of seasons ago they finished 3 pts ahead of 5th in a title defence whilst shipping 7 against Aston Villa. That said, they have a lot of players out currently although they'll be concerned wth how poor TAA, Salah and VVD have looked so far this season. Salah has been off his game ever since that penalty shootout loss at AFCON.

tomaldinho1

They have a lot of injuries - I see it being similar to the season they lost all their CBs and finished a few points behind us. Hopefully same again.

Infra-red

Injuries aren't helping, but in part that's because their squad doesn't have much depth - the quality of their bench last night, for example, was astoundingly poor. If they can get Konate, Matip, Keita, Thiago and Jota back fit, they should still finish in the top 2, but if they have an injury-hit season, then, with a resurgent Spurs/Arsenal, they could find their top 4 place is in a bit of jeopardy.

Shark

@NotShark
Agree with what Neville said last night. I don't think they're in much trouble at all.

Rake

They will be fine once a few of the injured players come back and will surely finish in the CL spots. Can see them signing 2-3 players in January though (if none are signed until the end of this window).

I’m loving my life

Are they on an off year in terms of the PEDs? Maybe they’re trying to plunder all the asthmatic talent out there in time for next season

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The way I see it, Klopp needs to take his time overcoming his seventh season blip with us while Pep walks the league (but no CL again). And then hopefully Pep walks away. No point us giving our all, finishing on 95 points, only to lose the league by one point again. Feck that.

This is Klopp's transition season. We need to change our whole midfield and possibly replace starters like VvD (with Konate) and Robertson (with Tsimikas) at the back. If the Bellingham rumours are true we get him and another decent (injury free!!!!!!!!) midfielder to partner him.

After Klopp's seventh season he seems to recycle back to world class. We'll wait for Pep to leave before that happens.

Suv666

They won't win the league but they'll definitely get top four imo

Oranges038

After last season, losing the CL final, played 60 odd games, then through a full pre season. No surprise to see them with so many muscle related injuries.

To me it looks like he's run them into the ground, quite similar to Poch at Spurs, few dodgy results, lost the CL final and the wheels came off at the start of the next. They definitely need fresh legs and fresh ideas in midfield.

Still think they have enough to stay up.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Their midfield will be their undoing.

Nunez will undoubtedly score goals, and Trent will have more good games than bad. But without Thiago's brain and technique and an in-form Fabinho, the rest are dross. Elliott and Carvalho get a pass for being super-cheap youngsters, but they're not dragging them through games.

The desperately need options to improve upon Henderson and Milner, and to this day I see Keita as their Bailly. You think he could really be something and he's had some amazing games, but he's susceptible to a stinker and seems to be injured all the time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They miss Mane a lot - I think more then anyone expected (and most people assumed they would as he is class) - but they'll be perfectly fine - will probably go on a huge winning run sooner rather then later.

When they have their first choice midfield back they'll be a lot better... going from Henderson to Fabinho yesterday improved them significantly.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think its a minor blip, however the defence would be a worry for me and in particular VVD. Carragher said in commentary, their team wasnt that different to what you'd normally expect to see so whilst they have injuries, the impact on the starting 11 was fairly minimal. Seeing the way we got in behind their defence was frightening though, and Milner was right in what he was rollocking VVD for too.

Jacko21

Look as though they need a bit of renewed motivation from somewhere - not always easy to keep the fire lit.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I see the "they have injuries" media narrative has made it to the caf, as if Liverpool are the only team in the world to face injuries.

Liverpool can never do any wrong in the eyes of some. When they win games it's because they have a great manager and squad. When they don't it's because of injuries. Baffling.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
2007/08 we failed to win our first 3 and won the league. It's incredibly early and every single year people act as though they've got no experience viewing the Premier League and kneejerk a new end of season prediction each week.

However, I do think Liverpool have squad depth issues that plagued their title defence in 2020/21.

Mane is also a huge loss and I don't think Nunez looks all that at all. Some of their top performers in recent years are getting on a bit.

I'd be surprised if they challenged for the league as strongly as they did last year.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The way I see it, Klopp needs to take his time overcoming his seventh season blip with us while Pep walks the league (but no CL again). And then hopefully Pep walks away. No point us giving our all, finishing on 95 points, only to lose the league by one point again. Feck that.

This is Klopp's transition season. We need to change our whole midfield and possibly replace starters like VvD (with Konate) and Robertson (with Tsimikas) at the back. If the Bellingham rumours are true we get him and another decent (injury free!!!!!!!!) midfielder to partner him.

After Klopp's seventh season he seems to recycle back to world class. We'll wait for Pep to leave before that happens.
Are you people having a laugh with "seventh season blip" ? The sample size is one instance. Also, I would have thought you'd prefer to cement your place as one of the strongest teams in Europe (getting close to a 100 points again) rather than see that fizzle out. Do Liverpool fans really worry that VvD and Robertson are finished?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I see the "they have injuries" media narrative has made it to the caf, as if Liverpool are the only team in the world to face injuries.

Liverpool can never do any wrong in the eyes of some. When they win games it's because they have a great manager and squad. When they don't it's because of injuries. Baffling.
Fairly sure they have more injuries than any of the other teams chasing top four? A lot more, actually.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not enough, hope they get into more trouble

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They will be fine, their stability automatically bumped up once Fabinho was introduced. If they get back Keita and Thiago, they’ll be humming again. When chelsea, despite their midfield depth look shit without Kante.

Skills

Snitch
They have a few home games now in succession so should pick up a few points.

I feel they’ll be okay
Hopefully Bournemouth learn something and respond to getting thrashed by Arsenal and City back to back. Its a do or die game for them, so i'm hoping for a fight.

Tarrou

as long as they dont win the league i dont really give much of a shite

main thing for me is once Pep fecks off we need to be in a position to stop them winning more titles

Giggsy13

With Thiago, Fabinho, Jota, Konate and Nunez returning to their line up, they’ll unfortunately be fine.

Mr Smith

These things are always not as bad as they look. However, their midfield is a concern. Fabinho and Henderson are solid but Fabinho has frequent spells injured, Thiago is crocked, Keita blows hot and cold and his future is in doubt, Milner is a fossil, and the others are bit-part players.

It will be a competitive top end of the league this season, with Spurs and Arsenal both looking serious, Chelsea having spent a ton, and us likely to improve at least a bit with Ten Hag at the helm. They could easily find themselves slipping out of a title race and battling for top four.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Liverpool fans, do you think VVD or the CB alongside him is more important? I think that the CB alongside him is. Without that solid CB beside him Trent is horribly exposed and thus VVD is too because he makes far more mistakes.

Trex

They'll be fine, too good a side not to be. Even the league isn't beyond their reach.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I won't be surprise if Liverpool finish outside top 4. This will be another fluke season, who knows maybe Arsenal is crowned champion. West Ham has no win, Brighton looks impressive, Chelsea and Liverpool struggling. Even Leeds and Fulham doing well. As long as we finish above Liverpool, I will be happy.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Are you people having a laugh with "seventh season blip" ? The sample size is one instance. Also, I would have thought you'd prefer to cement your place as one of the strongest teams in Europe (getting close to a 100 points again) rather than see that fizzle out. Do Liverpool fans really worry that VvD and Robertson are finished?
I would love to see that but in a normal season with no injuries. Not in a season where we're patching up or covering for geriatrics. I'd rather just save the legs and make top four.

I don't think VvD is finished but he needs benching more often. Maybe that will bring some spark back. We've conceded first against mediocre teams in the past 8 games and VvD has played all of them while looking less than world class. Would also give us a chance for a new partnership to blossom (succession planning). Robertson is quietly getting away with mediocrity nowadays IMO. Tsimikas (more succession planning) would actually be a great breath of fresh air.