How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The football aspect as entities in the British Football pyramid - no sanction. The players, coaches, managers, staff and fans are not complicit in this farce and as such the impact shouldn't extend to those who weren't sat around this virtual desk.

However each and every executive who has been involved should be named, shamed and forced to resign for bringing the game and their clubs' reputation into disrepute. All should be banned from operating in football.

A realistic fine should be imposed on the clubs, with all proceeds earmarked entirely for the benefit of English Football, and not to line the pockets of equally corrupt executives on the FA committee.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
20 point deduction each. None of us in Europe next season. That'll teach us.
I prefer a UEFA ban from all European competitions from their tournaments for a year. That way all get equal treatment. A ban by the PL/point deduction would not be implemented in Spain/La Liga and Real/Barca would just continue as is.

Last edited:

Manny

Grammar Police
50 plus 1 needs to be done. With a deadline of three seasons. And I'd have no issue with the PL docking them 20 points for the next three seasons too. All six of them. There owners would all soon feck off.

What they've done has hurt the whole game, not just their clubs. And a points deduction over the next three seasons would really break up their self appointed bullshit elite 6. And we'd have an even more competitive league at the end of it.

If you do nothing now, we'll be going through this all over again in 5 years time.

Smores

You're utterly blinkered if you can't see any difference between the two.

The fans, players and staff all benefitted and were paid as a result of the doping. They didn't care where the money was coming from.

In this instance the fans, players and staff have all revolted against what looked to be being forced on them by club owner's. They all helped to bring it to a close. No one's profited.
Just because there's some difference doesn't mean his point doesn't stand.

I'm sure some of our players wanted the ESL and we know some of our fans did and far more than admitted it in that poll.

They're our rival but let's stop with the childish emotion, not every city fan likes the fact they're associated to dirty money. No one gave a feck about 'oh but think of the fans, the children' when City were getting a ban. Saying we can't get a ban as it's unfair on the fans is just hypocrisy.

The clubs actions are the clubs actions, compartmentalise as much as we like it's still supporting Glazers business and actions. A ban or heavy punishment is more than justified.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just because there's some difference doesn't mean his point doesn't stand.

I'm sure some of our players wanted the ESL and we know some of our fans did and far more than admitted it in that poll.

They're our rival but let's stop with the childish emotion, not every city fan likes the fact they're associated to dirty money. No one gave a feck about 'oh but think of the fans, the children' when City were getting a ban. Saying we can't get a ban as it's unfair on the fans is just hypocrisy.

The clubs actions are the clubs actions, compartmentalise as much as we like it's still supporting Glazers business and actions. A ban or heavy punishment is more than justified.
So you've agreed they aren't the same then try and link them by making up that some of our players might have liked the idea?

What planet are you on.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
I think the cases of Wigan and Bolton are more worth the discussion than Man City tbh. The last couple of days have been great in unifying the entire football community and goes to prove that all of us, regardless of the size of club we support, share a similar set of values. Though I am not saying you should get a points deduction, I think it’s a little hypocritical to say that the players and fans shouldn’t be punished when it already happens in a number of cases where neither the players or fans are at fault for an owner’s wrongdoing.
Exactly.

Seems to be a lot of "No it's different, because....", trying to justify it because it's the club they support.

I'm sure Wigan, Bolton, fans etc. were all doing the same too.

The absolute farce that people are honestly suggesting "PeoPlE jUsT waNt PuniShmEnts To Get One Over oN tHe ToP SiX", as if the reverse logic isn't going round people's heads - the only reason people think punishment *isn't* fitting, is because it's the club that they support that should be punished.

It was against the rules, and it was a coup against football. Just because it went tits up, doesn't mean there should be no accountability. I'd prefer it to come from the owners rather than the club, but there needs to be some punishment.

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly.

Seems to be a lot of "No it's different, because....", trying to justify it because it's the club they support.

I'm sure Wigan, Bolton, fans etc. were all doing the same too.

The absolute farce that people are honestly suggesting "PeoPlE jUsT waNt PuniShmEnts To Get One Over oN tHe ToP SiX", as if the reverse logic isn't going round people's heads - the only reason people think punishment *isn't* fitting, is because it's the club that they support that should be punished.

It was against the rules, and it was a coup against football. Just because it went tits up, doesn't mean there should be no accountability. I'd prefer it to come from the owners rather than the club, but there needs to be some punishment.
As I've pointed out. None of you lot were arsed or supported us when we were trying to prevent the Glazers taking over. The PL didn't step in despite the fact they were planning to saddle us with debt on the sly. Most oppo fans found it funny and said we deserved it.

You all helped create these monsters, the PL and UEFA included. You're only arsed about it now as it threatened to damage your own club.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
50 plus 1 needs to be done. With a deadline of three seasons. And I'd have no issue with the PL docking them 20 points for the next three seasons too. All six of them. There owners would all soon feck off.

What they've done has hurt the whole game, not just their clubs. And a points deduction over the next three seasons would really break up their self appointed bullshit elite 6. And we'd have an even more competitive league at the end of it.

If you do nothing now, we'll be going through this all over again in 5 years time.
Something tells me they'd be reluctant to try it again. :lol:

Resch

What will happen? Nothing? No, the UEFA will restructure the CL and will become easier to qualify for top-clubs (UEFA-Coefficent). The PL wont punish them, as long more English teams are allowed to compete in the CL. So what? The smaller leagues will have to pay again. The CL will become a even more "elite" competition, and "everybody" is happy......

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
As I've pointed out. None of you lot were arsed or supported us when we were trying to prevent the Glazers taking over. The PL didn't step in despite the fact they were planning to saddle us with debt on the sly. Most oppo fans found it funny and said we deserved it.

You all helped create these monsters, the PL and UEFA included. You're only arsed about it now as it threatened to damage your own club.
What about every other club with a shit owner? Should they be exempt too?

Or do you just want special treatment? Because that's how it reads.

TheReligion

Abusive
What about every other club with a shit owner? Should they be exempt too?

Or do you just want special treatment? Because that's how it reads.
Nice sidestepping my points.

You're all complicit in this mess to some degree. The same with UEFA, the same with the PL..

It's a case of 'we're alright so feck it' then when the reality sinks in that this would impact your own club everyone wants to unite the footballing community and punish those that you've helped create.

The whole thing stinks but it's nothing new.

AneRu

I think that idea has just been conclusively proven false. (I still don't expect any serious consequences).
Was it really? I think the panic that the whole football world displayed showed how important these clubs are to the whole football pyramid. We had Prime Ministers coming out with statements and threatening legislation - they knew what was at stake but more importantly the rebels just lost their nerve especially when Bayern and PSG stayed behind.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was it really? I think the panic that the whole football world displayed showed how important these clubs are to the whole football pyramid. We had Prime Ministers coming out with statements and threatening legislation - they knew what was at stake but more importantly the rebels just lost their nerve especially when Bayern and PSG stayed behind.
Bayern couldn't join due to their ownership and PSG are inherently linked to the WC bid.

Let's not pretend that they are some kind of saviours here!

Abizzz

Well if it hadn't wouldn't the prime minister have come down on the other side? Wouldn't that league now exist?

Being in the PL and CL is part of the identity of these clubs as much as these clubs are a part of the identity of the leagues. It's a symbiotic relationship. Are the memories everyone is fond of looking at the crest and name, or crazy nights like 99, Rooney's screamers, fergie time etc.? (Depending on age). The PL worked because it was a restructuring that was consistent with what had come before. Take United out of the PL and you're only left with whatever the Glazer's concept of United is.

Buffalo Bills

I’m shocked so many people are calling for the clubs to be punished i.e the players and fans: ultimately the very people that are innocent/ actually put an end to this madness! The parasites should all be banned from world football ownership and forced to sell up immediately- anyone in collaboration (chief execs etc) banned similarly!
I'm not shocked its just part of the cancel culture society prevalent today.......unfortunately

NK86

E

Exactly, all these opposition fans taking the moral high ground now, were all laughing their hearts out when we were getting fecked with that take over. Now, as they were about to feel the pain, they want to make an example out of these clubs.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC

I think you've totally missed the point of these last few days bud, 'you lot' and 'us' is not the theme here, this is not about club rivalries whatsoever. It's about the national game and if punishing players when they are not culpable is fair game for Wigan and Bolton then it's fair game for Manchester Utd as well. That's it.

For what it's worth I couldn't care less about the status of my club, it's our owners that benefit from our PL status, not me personally. We play crap football in a crap stadium, we're always bottom of the net spend table typically outspent by half the Championship and I watch the likes of Benteke strolling around not doing much and sucking down 100k a week. If you think I am particularly bothered about that status then you're wrong.

Makelele

There are pretty much no legal grounds to dish out bans to clubs. And why would UEFA antagonize this group which they clearly desperately need? The sensible approach is to come to the table and figure out the difference in opinion which has lead to this breakout. The underlying facts are still there and if they do not solve their differences, then this might happen again, in another format.

red4ever 79

Hopefully and the one saving grace might be that Perez had them locked into something contractually and by these 6 pulling out, it will hit them where it hurts in massive penalties.

diarm

Bans and points deductions are stupid because they'll punish fans, managers and players.

Punishment needs to be directed at the owners.

Remove their decision making powers for a while. Change the rules regarding club debt. Raise taxes on football club profits. Surely a benefit of Brexit here is that ye can do as you like so make it hurt to try and bleed a football club for profit.

Abraxas

I think there is somewhat of a contradiction in arguing that the problem with the ESL is one of sporting merit and then imposing a points deduction or ban, when ultimately those primarily responsible for current positions have undertaken this based on sporting merit and are remote from these particular charges.

It only hurts the likes of the Glazers to the extent that they lose revenue from CL participation. For which you could easily achieve the same thing through a fine or other means, rendering any points deduction as primarily detrimental to fans, players and managers.

youmeletsfly

Bans and points deductions are stupid because they'll punish fans, managers and players.

Punishment needs to be directed at the owners.

Remove their decision making powers for a while. Change the rules regarding club debt. Raise taxes on football club profits. Surely a benefit of Brexit here is that ye can do as you like so make it hurt to try and bleed a football club for profit.
That will hurt the players, manager and fans as well.

diarm

That will hurt the players, manager and fans as well.
Not necessarily. If it doesn't make sense to milk profit out of a football club, more of the money can be put into the squad, the stadium, reducing the cost of football etc.

Crustanoid

I just got sick in my mouth.
They’re a massive part of the reason that the situation came about! Kick out their owners or demote them - would take away a lot of the problem (not saying there shouldn’t be sanctions to kick out our owners too)

diarm

Why do you crave blood? City, and Chelsea, at least did good on bad. And they should be given positive affirmations for that.
I don't crave blood. I feel sick at the suggestion that "Man City are an asset to the game".

I'm proud of football for standing up to this attack on the sport, but I'm ashamed at the complete absence of any such outrage at the corruption that allows City and PSG succeed within it. Those two clubs and everything they stand for is every bit as bad and worse than what was attempted this week.

That we'll go back to pretending the status quo is any better than what we've prevented here is wrong.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I can't help thinking Sky was partly responsible for whipping people up into a frenzy over this for their own self-interests.

Sure the Superleague had flaws but some of the stuff was far better than what is being proposed by UEFA. I even understand we would have seen wage caps and Transfer caps, something Uefa has been reluctant or unable to bring in.

I think a real opportunity to modernize the game and make it better for all has been missed and groups such as SKY or the other 14 Premier League clubs used the whole debacle for their own greed and self-interest and we the fans will ultimately lose out in the long run. In a way, it would have been better for the 6 English clubs to have pressed on with the Superleague so the UK government could have brought in 50+1 and other much-needed measures. Now I think we go back to the Status Quo.

Nothing more than a pyrrhic victory in my opinion.

Smores

So you've agreed they aren't the same then try and link them by making up that some of our players might have liked the idea?

What planet are you on.
I'll leave you to it, clearly you're having a bad day.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you've totally missed the point of these last few days bud, 'you lot' and 'us' is not the theme here, this is not about club rivalries whatsoever. It's about the national game and if punishing players when they are not culpable is fair game for Wigan and Bolton then it's fair game for Manchester Utd as well. That's it.

For what it's worth I couldn't care less about the status of my club, it's our owners that benefit from our PL status, not me personally. We play crap football in a crap stadium, we're always bottom of the net spend table typically outspent by half the Championship and I watch the likes of Benteke strolling around not doing much and sucking down 100k a week. If you think I am particularly bothered about that status then you're wrong.
No I think it's you who has totally missed the point but I've noted you keep skirting about my comments about being complicit in things. As I said, where we you all when we were getting shafted by the Glazers?

And again, how is running a club illegally and against league rules, whilst buying players and paying staff with in effect dirty money anything like what the big 6 have done (well not even done as they hadn't left or even started the SL).

Two very different things.

Makelele

I can't help thinking Sky was partly responsible for whipping people up into a frenzy over this for their own self-interests.

Sure the Superleague had flaws but some of the stuff was far better than what is being proposed by UEFA. I even understand we would have seen wage caps and Transfer caps, something Uefa has been reluctant or unable to bring in.

I think a real opportunity to modernize the game and make it better for all has been missed and groups such as SKY or the other 14 Premier League clubs used the whole debacle for their own greed and self-interest and we the fans will ultimately lose out in the long run. In a way, it would have been better for the 6 English clubs to have pressed on with the Superleague so the UK government could have brought in 50+1 and other much-needed measures. Now I think we go back to the Status Quo.

Nothing more than a pyrrhic victory in my opinion.
This is exactly what people will wake up to eventually. Very good point. Its like celebrating a battle in a much larger war where there are traitors with self serving interests at every corner.

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol:
Yeah ...a bit like trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But they didn’t get to light the fuse, so we’ll let them off with a slap on the wrist.
Blowing up the Parliament is illegal.

They made a plan, didn’t go through with it, how’s that illegal.

The legality of their plan is debatable, but any punishment will result in plenty of court cases.

Cal?

CR7 fan
1. Club should pay a min fine of 400m
2. Relegation next season
3. Ban from European competitions for 5 years
4. All previous trophies won should be taken back.

They could appeal but if they loss the case again, should be fined by another 100m.
So you do want a super league?

This will just force them to go ahead with it

Buffalo Bills

1. Club should pay a min fine of 400m
2. Relegation next season
3. Ban from European competitions for 5 years
4. All previous trophies won should be taken back.

They could appeal but if they loss the case again, should be fined by another 100m.

You forgot about sacking the Kit man !

BIGbadBOO4

Fans and players should not suffer, hit the owners. Like others have said, 51% of club owned by fans. This will put a stop to these greedy arrogant owners.