How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

They didn't propose anything though. They didn't propose it to the PL, not to UEFA, they kept managers out of the loop too. And players.

It wasn't a proposal, it was a coup as @Revan correctly put.
Indeed, there was no proposal. The 12 presented it as a fait accompli - done and dusted - no permission, no talks.

el3mel

I actually think UEFA will end up not punishing them by suspensions if they pull out this quickly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nothing will happen. A few apologetic statements from the clubs, governing bodies with "delighted to reach a solution and work together" sort of response etc. They'll let it stew until the seasons over in the hope when the Euro's comes around everyone will have quickly forgotten about it by then. Transfer season back to normal.. eh Super League? What the f is that?
UEFA will release statement saying they worked closely with the clubs and agreed to disband the whole thing. As a reward all the clubs will get big money as per new model.

Kag

They will be rewarded with even more slice of the pie, of course. Anybody who thinks they’re all getting banned for a year is off their bloody rocker.

ChaddyP

I'm sure the cleaning lady working at Lehman Brothers in 2008 didn't deserve to lose her job, and she had nothing to do with those who took the managing decisions.

The only way for the Glazers to pay for the crimes is massive financial hit. And that's not a fine.
but a fine is a financial hit :lol:

diarm

Masters and the Premier League have pandered to these clubs for years, out of fear that they would do what they've tried this week. Well now they've tried and failed so take away all their benefits.

TheReligion

Abusive
Masters and the Premier League have pandered to these clubs for years, out of fear that they would do what they've tried this week. Well now they've tried and failed so take away all their benefits.
Do you even know what you're on about?

Enigma_87

You know who
but a fine is a financial hit :lol:
I mean not a farcical one, but one that makes a difference :lol:

They should receive a very severe punishment, but of course there will be none and this will be forgotten by UEFA/PL very quickly.

UEFA will release statement saying they worked closely with the clubs and agreed to disband the whole thing. As a reward all the clubs will get big money as per new model.
You think UEFA will reward them for pulling this stunt? Those big 12 are now vulnerable and surely UEFA will want to ram home their advantage. We need the FA, UEFA, government and fans to use this moment wisely by coming to together and forcing reforms on ownership and governance. This could be a moment of change, if used correctly.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Chelsea deserve absolutely no credit whatsoever.

Chelsea were just the first to get cold feet after it was apparent that the whole thing was untenable.
It wasn't even cold feet probably. It's just that with Chelsea and also City, their owners don't run the club like a traditional business or to make money. They've put ridiculous amounts of their own money in their clubs for other personal interests.

So as Sugar Daddy projects they can literally afford to not really care about the specific goal of this Super League, which would be to bring in more money for the clubs, unlike most other clubs involved who are in fact quite desperate for extra income after this COVID period is over.

Enigma_87

You know who
You think UEFA will reward them for pulling this stunt? Those big 12 are now vulnerable and surely UEFA will want to ram home their advantage. We need the FA, UEFA, government and fans to use this moment wisely by coming to together and forcing reforms on ownership and governance. This could be a moment of change, if used correctly.
Absolutely this. If there is a chance of getting rid of the Glazers is on the back of these events and riding the wave. Let them get away with it and everything will be back to "normal".

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Actually very easy now. Hit them where it hurts. Mandatory sale of 50% + 1 within 3/5/7 years at a given market value to a supporters' trust.

No more bullshit like this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah. UEFA will reward them as per the new model. UEFA are not some heros, they are same shit stains.

ChaddyP

I mean not a farcical one, but one that makes a difference :lol:

They should receive a very severe punishment, but of course there will be none and this will be forgotten by UEFA/PL very quickly.
I think they should be hit hard financially through a fine. Not from league positions and such that the players earned

cyberman

Cant offer them an olive leaf and smack them with it when they accept.
Owners gone. Mininum

Enigma_87

You know who
I think they should be hit hard financially through a fine. Not from league positions and such that the players earned
It will only add to the problem. UEFA are the same corrupt cnuts and will come down to limiting the damage for both sides.

What fine would be a sufficient one? Couple of mills doesn't make any difference to those guys.

If UEFA doesn't ban the club (at least until the same owners are at helm) from their competitions for couple of years it means they are spitting on their own image.

Players are irrelevant until the management is the same despite not agreeing with it they are still complicit being employed and paid by those owners.

Deanor44

The owners of these clubs need to be put in front of the Fit & Proper owners test again as they have shown a complete and utter disregard for not only the Fans but the domestic league & football association that they are part of. As a life long UTD fan I feel the clubs SHOULD be hit with a substantial points deduction and a huge fine. Hopefully this whole mess will re-invigorate the Glazier Out movement which I was never part of but feel now is the time to join. While seeing the Glaziers owning Utd and stripping the club of money on the back of loans leveraged against utd never sat comfortably with me I take my responsibility for continuing to go to games, paying for MUTV and buying shirts and merchandise for both my family and myself. I am going to make a bigger effort to deny these parasites my hard earned money and feel that everyone who supports UTD needs to do same. This is an opportunity to hit these guys where it hurts as money is scarce as a result of the pandemic and if we can have an effect on club finances and sponsors it just MIGHT persuade these people to either change how they view UTD as a cash cow or sell up!!

ChaddyP

It will only add to the problem. UEFA are the same corrupt cnuts and will come down to limiting the damage for both sides.

What fine would be a sufficient one? Couple of mills doesn't make any difference to those guys.

If UEFA doesn't ban the club (at least until the same owners are at helm) from their competitions for couple of years it means they are spitting on their own image.

Players are irrelevant until the management is the same despite not agreeing with it they are still complicit being employed and paid by those owners.
I have no idea what would be a sufficient fine. The players learnt about this same time we did. They opposed it and have got no sporting benefit out of it. Punishing them ismt the way. I dunno fine the club half a billion dollars amd make the glazers have to pay. Why should we suffer. That would only cause more chaos

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's a difficult one as it seems almost certain that none of the players or managers were aware, and any punishment will affect them and the fans the most. It's all been led by the owners, and they're the ones that need punishing.

Ideally, FIFA/UEFA/whoever would have some sort of jurisdiction to kick them all out with pretty much immediate effect and ban them from ever being involved in the running of a footballing entity ever again. Then, right from the top we can start looking at proper regulations regarding the ownership of clubs.

In reality, the clubs are likely too valuable to their leagues and UEFA to do anything drastic, but I also feel like you couldn't have too many complaints if all of the clubs involved were banned from European competition for a number of years, and potentially even expelled from their respective leagues. I don't know how it works in Spain and Italy, but here it would mean expulsion from the PL, at which point I guess they'd be free to apply for entry into the Football League, failing that the National League, and failing that, whatever body is in charge of levels 7 down.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I have no idea what would be a sufficient fine. The players learnt about this same time we did. They opposed it and have got no sporting benefit out of it. Punishing them ismt the way. I dunno fine the club half a billion dollars amd make the glazers have to pay. Why should we suffer. That would only cause more chaos
The Glazers wouldn't pay out of their own pockets though.... it would come from the club.

Transfer muppet season would be cancelled indefinitely :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think there will be consequences. Everyone will be eager to return to the status quo and forget this ever happened. I'm not sure a press release and some tweets are enough to trigger contractual punishments either.
Maybe the ECA will shun them for a while and maybe some fans or sponsorship money will be lost, but from the outside everything will look the same.

ChaddyP

The Glazers wouldn't pay out of their own pockets though.... it would come from the club.

Transfer muppet season would be cancelled indefinitely :lol:
I dont know force them to sell or have government do something. But points deduction isn't the answer

Member 101269

No punishment: Ed had to leave, Joel was co-vice chair he has to go.

Roboc7

Government need to target the owners, they are the real culprits but in reality I expect virtually nothing will be done.

Enigma_87

You know who
Glazers won't pay that. You will be putting that burden on the club and will still be on the books when / if they walk away.

Players/managers/fans have no say in this. Maguire can't stop the deal on his own and can't pull out.

Was Buffon directly at fault for fixing games? Players are collateral damage. I'm sorry but they are. They get paid tens of millions of pounds per year for the "inconvenience".

A slap on the wrist means every dozen clubs can break away from a league/competition if they propose a better format and fans like it?

Until those clubs are managed by those boards I'm sorry but all associated with the club should bear the consequences. It's their club and they make the decisions.