How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

saivet

I'm not sure but I'm not against banning them from the CL/EL for a season. With the teams that don't qualify for the CL, have that ban extended until they do.

Issue fines, points deduction from PL or even transfer bans. I wouldn't be against any of them.

cyberman

I'm not sure but I'm not against banning them from the CL/EL for a season. With the teams that don't qualify for the CL, have that ban extended until they do.

Issue fines, points deduction from PL or even transfer bans. I wouldn't be against any of them.
Youre just killing the competition for a year.

Bertie Wooster

Legally, I'm not sure how it stands as regards the clubs only actually stated they intended to join a Super League - so whether bans / points deduction would be enforceable or whether they could appeal I'm not sure. But, unless the punishments were huge, I imagine all the teams would accept them and not do further PR damage with legal appeals, etc.

Whatever the punishments, they really should be for next season while it's so late in the season.

Any exclusion from Europe shouldn't be for this seasons SF's and final. But I'd accept any of the 12 being banned for next year (although Arsenal's may have to be carried over if they miss out).

And any points deduction in the league should be at the start of next season, so all clubs know where they stand when the season starts rather than have a very late points deductions skewing the table.

Personally, I think it's unfair that the players, managers and fans will suffer with either of those punishments - when they were all innocent. But I guess that often happens with things like match fixing, third party ownership, ffp, etc, when it's also the owners, not the players or fans, doing wrong.

TheReligion

Abusive
Because legally the clubs did nothing wrong - I think that has been established. They have been greedy, arrogant, selfish etc - but there is no law against that. But every law-professor looking at it says - legally they probably would have won

So its impossible to punish them - nor would it be wise
Exactly this.

Didn't the Ceferin even say to the English clubs last night they could still change their mind and do the right thing?

saivet

Youre just killing the competition for a year.
Maybe but for one season I think it would be fine. You'd still have a couple of big sides with PSG and Bayern alongside some new names. It's probably not the most appropriate punishment but something should be done.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The LA clippers owner was forced to sell the team by the league after racist comments

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/sale-of-clippers-to-steve-ballmer-closes-donald-sterling-out/
NBA's Constitution and By-laws - not sure what is included in that or if it is legal tight, as this seems to have been done through his wife selling (willingly?) whilst he didn't want to sell.

With my United hat on, I'd want whatever sanctions help push the Glazer scum out as soon as possible. Generally though, all these clubs deserve some sanctions, one way or another, and not a slap on the wrist and "great to have you back, we always loved you" like that UEFA President said about City. It's not fair for the players and managers, but the reality is they are on the payroll of these scumbag owners and the owners run these clubs..

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
They’ll get a massive fine from UEFA but that’ll probably be it. Can’t see them deducting league points.

A massive inquest needs to be carried out on football club ownership. It’s reached tipping point and almost tipped - the cnuts need to be held responsible and individually fined as well, if possible. To protect the sport, the UK govt and or the FA need to introduce rules on ownership.

cyberman

Maybe but for one season I think it would be fine. You'd still have a couple of big sides with PSG and Bayern alongside some new names. It's probably not the most appropriate punishment but something should be done.
Id give them limited voting rights on league matters until new owners are found (cant punish new owners) and lose home advantage for 2 seasons. Every game is away from home.
It has to be unique imo.

No comment

Supports
Everton
Didn't West Ham get punished for something that had nothing to do with the fans regarding the Tevez transfer ?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If you must have punishment then a punishment that provides a benefit, but only one way, is the only appropriate punishment. Something like community service for clubs.

tomaldinho1

Because it was illegal.
If they can prove this was illegal, I'd happily see all 6 disqualified from all comps this season and start next season with points punishment. PSG win the CL, PL is between WHUM & Leicester, EL is Roma vs Villarreal

Id give them limited voting rights on league matters until new owners are found (cant punish new owners) and lose home advantage for 2 seasons. Every game is away from home.
It has to be unique imo.
Man Utd are very happy with this punishment. Out away record is phenomenal.

Bertie Wooster

Didn't West Ham get punished for something that had nothing to do with the fans regarding the Tevez transfer ?
Yeah, but they broke a clearly defined rule. And only got a manageable fine. They escaped points deductions that would have relegated them.

The owners of the SL 12 behaved appallingly and greedily, but, legally, it might be tough to successfully prove they broke the rules just by stating their intent to join a SL.

I'm sure the clubs won't want to risk further PR disasters by legally challenging any 'manageable' punishments - such as fines. But if the punishments are strict, like many are calling for, then, with a likely decent chance of overturning them (like City with the ffp), I think they'd maybe challenge them.

So to avoid this unsavoury situation dragging on, and going down the lengthy legal route, I think any punishments have to be a compromise and not too reactionary and severe.

lysglimt

Scout
And besides why would they want to punish the clubs ? The clubs have done more good to football, FIFA or UEFA than no other organization (including themselves) have managed in 20 years. This failed coup made FIFA and UEFA look like good guys, they united the football world and possibly got rid of some of UEFA and FIFAs biggest headaches.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah, but they broke a clearly defined rule. And only got a manageable fine. They escaped points deductions that would have relegated them.

The owners of the SL 12 behaved appallingly and greedily, but, legally, it might be tough to successfully prove they broke the rules just by stating their intent to join a SL.

I'm sure the clubs won't want to risk further PR disasters by legally challenging any 'manageable' punishments - such as fines. But if the punishments are strict, like many are calling for, then, with a likely decent chance of overturning them (like City with the ffp), I think they'd maybe challenge them.

So to avoid this unsavoury situation dragging on, and going down the lengthy legal route, I think any punishments have to be a compromise and not too reactionary and severe.
There will be no punishment - because they have done nothing wrong...legally.

You can't punish someone for not breaking the rules

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They’ll get a massive fine from UEFA but that’ll probably be it. Can’t see them deducting league points.

A massive inquest needs to be carried out on football club ownership. It’s reached tipping point and almost tipped - the cnuts need to be held responsible and individually fined as well, if possible. To protect the sport, the UK govt and or the FA need to introduce rules on ownership.
A fine based on what?

Wilt

For bringing the game into disrepute UEFA will want to hit all 12 clubs hard ....I expect they would want to ban all 12 from all European competition for at least one season. Trouble is that would make little difference to the clubs who failed to qualify.

Massive fines, transfer ban and points deduction starting next season is my guess.

Cal?

CR7 fan
For all 6 teams;
- 20 points deduction this season.
- Banned from CL/EL next season.
- Fines of £50 million each, distributed through a rescue package to lower league clubs in danger of insolvency.
:lol: So you do want them to go ahead with the super league?

They've done nothing wrong, why should there be any punishment.

Idxomer

For bringing the game into disrepute UEFA will want to hit all 12 clubs hard ....I expect they would want to ban all 12 from all European competition for at least one season. Trouble is that would make little difference to the clubs who failed to qualify.

Massive fines, transfer ban and points deduction starting next season is my guess.
This will definitely help football during a pandemic.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Crazy talk of punishments against the 6 clubs, they haven't done anything against the rules.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Can't see anyone being kicked out of the champions league next year but maybe a transfer ban could happen

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was just a 5m fine, should've been deducted points but would've relegated them so FA bottled it.

Could be wrong but think the last PL team that was deducted points for discplinary matter was Boro back in 1997 when they didn't turn up for that game at Blackburn as they claimed 18 members of their squad were ill.

That was odd one as instead of Blackburn just being awarded a 3-0, the game was actually played right at the end of the season and was 0-0 but Boro were also deducted 3 points. They went down by a point.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
All stuffed into a Brazen Bull, scorched flesh dripping off the bones and the cries of terror and agony pitch tuned to James Curran's Football Crazy.

Wilt

Crazy talk of punishments against the 6 clubs, they haven't done anything against the rules.
:lol:
Yeah ...a bit like trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But they didn’t get to light the fuse, so we’ll let them off with a slap on the wrist.

Bondi77

The owners should do a naked walk through their respective cities Game of Thrones style

vulmik

Force the owners to sell.
I don't know how they can do that but surely there's a way.
In the NBA Donald Sterling was forced to sell after his racist comments went public. There has to be a way. Only way the people responsible can be punished.

Kounan

Was just a 5m fine, should've been deducted points but would've relegated them so FA bottled it.

Could be wrong but think the last PL team that was deducted points for discplinary matter was Boro back in 1997 when they didn't turn up for that game at Blackburn as they claimed 18 members of their squad were ill.

That was odd one as instead of Blackburn just being awarded a 3-0, the game was actually played right at the end of the season and was 0-0 but Boro were also deducted 3 points. They went down by a point.
And what they did actually helped them stay up and they were still not deducted points.

Again, the Premierleague clubs said that they want to stay in the league and not leave it.

Wilt

Can't see anyone being kicked out of the champions league next year but maybe a transfer ban could happen
Problem is i think all the the other clubs will want them kicked out. It’s a difficult one to know how to punish all 12 clubs equally.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Problem is i think all the the other clubs will want them kicked out. It’s a difficult one to know how to punish all 12 clubs equally.
They're the biggest clubs and kicking them out will hurt everyone else. Transfer bans will hurt them and shouldn't hurt the other clubs.

Bayern and PSG could have a free run at Haaland, Sancho, Kane, Son etc.

Kounan

Not if they think that the TV money will be less and it will be. We all know everything is about money. And I actually think that they have spoken to UEFA and the FA before deciding. We have seen that they have said that they will be kicked immideatly, but the next day they have said that the semifinals will continue as planed.

Kounan

They're the biggest clubs and kicking them out will hurt everyone else. Transfer bans will hurt them and shouldn't hurt the other clubs.

Bayern and PSG could have a free run at Haaland, Sancho, Kane, Son etc.
But they would need to have someone to buy their players :D, would kind of be funny. You have to offload the players, but the teams who can afford them, can not buy any.

Btw. arent the punishmets connected to the offense? So if one of your players played under doping, you will get one kind of ban, but not transfer ban, while if you break the rules regarding transfers, you get a transfer ban?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Nothing should happen. The 12 owners should be penalised as they were the creators of this mess, without consulting the team, managers, employees, leagues , and fans. Why should people suffer for something that was cooked up behind everyone's backs and without consultation. If they had of consulted everyone before signing up then this would have been stopped before it even started.

The sneaky feckers should all be brought to court and sued for trying to ruin the game for personal financial gain. It's no secret that some of the Italian and Spanish clubs involved are struggling financially which is no surprise for why they tried to rush this through behind everyone's backs.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If you must have punishment then a punishment that provides a benefit, but only one way, is the only appropriate punishment. Something like community service for clubs.
All of the owners and executives involved must be taken to the city center, park, or public square to be put into stocks or a pillory and have the general public kick footballs at their heads every day for a year. They can get out of it by selling the club to a supporters trust. Members of the public can donate £1 per kick that goes to Marcus Rashford's foundation.