How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
As a fan of a club not part of the "greedy six", I do want there to be punishments.

However, it's a tricky one. Because I also agree that it's not fair to punish the managers (especially those like Pep, who deserve huge credit for speaking out), or players like Bruno, Milner or Rashford, who had the balls to speak out against it.

So I'm not really sure what punishment could be levied that would be 'fair'.

AaronRedDevil

Strip liverpool of the CL titles.
Chelsea gets demoted to the championship.
Man city gets a 80 point deduction.
Pogba gets a fine.
Arsenal.....
Tottenham gets a £100m fine.

TheReligion

Abusive
As a fan of a club not part of the "greedy six", I do want there to be punishments.

However, it's a tricky one. Because I also agree that it's not fair to punish the managers (especially those like Pep, who deserve huge credit for speaking out), or players like Bruno, Milner or Rashford, who had the balls to speak out against it.

So I'm not really sure what punishment could be levied that would be 'fair'.
There isn't one

Dannyboy

They owners should be forced to sell the clubs and never be able to own another club. The American NBA has this option.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They owners should be forced to sell the clubs and never be able to own another club. The American NBA has this option.
Can you expand on that? What can allow for that to happen? :drool:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
There’s a lot of hypocrisy and overreacting..

The premier league itself was originally an inclusive break away league. Then there’s the fans themselves, everybody is up in arms yet there isn’t a football fan in the World who’d rather be watching us play Young Boys than Barcelona. And there’s the UEFA rolling out a new CL format with yet more crappy games and even more money for themselves. The players, so concerned about the game and the fans that they gladly put aside their 100k+ a week salaries for the good of the game, no they won’t. Finally the clubs not included, as if any of them give a shit about the good of the game and their fellow league competitors. They’d all join immediately if it was convenient and they were asked.

Nobody will get banned and they’ll be a new CL in a NBA type mid week league style run by UEFA catering for the wishes of the few and us fans who (if we’re being honest to ourselves) really want to watch it this shit.

Poltophagy

If this Super League fails, that is a good thing but it doesn't solve the real problems. The financial doping.
The clubs have become playthings for the rich. Either as a means to further enrich themselves at the expense of the fans, or to glorify themselves through the clubs success.

You can say what you want about failed politicians running clubs in Spain, or the mafia like tendencies in the Italian league, but at least they haven't (largely) sold their clubs to a bunch
of parasites and depraved billionaires trying to put a pretty veneer on their corruption or human rights violations, like the English and the French have been doing.
Germany does it proper, but even there you have encroachments from the money bags.

Ideally all owners should be forced to reduce their share of the club to under 50%. Rest is member owned.
Have football guys in charge, former players etc. Not slime bags like Florentino Perez or Silvio Berlusconi. Look to Bayern for how to build a successful club and sustain it organically over decades.
It needs to be set down in law that football clubs are not a business. They exist at the behest of the fans. The fans created them and the fans sustain them. In return for our money we expect entertainment and success. That should be the sole purpose and focus of a football club. Any sporting enterprise really.

The Champions League, despite the ridiculous name, has been a great thing for football. It brought in money and professionalism to firmly bring football out of the developing stage. No more relentless hacking down of legs and destroyed careers. No more Heysels or Hillsborough due to lack of intelligent planning.

Unfortunately the business side of things have led us to where we are now. Instead of just using the money to improve football, it has become a magnet for investments who don't care about football. The entire game and its hundred year history could die tomorrow for all they care if they can just get those profits.
All of that needs to stop. And this popular uprising is an opportunity to do it. Football is huge. To many people it is among the most important things in their lives. Governments fear major upsets in popular opinion. A thing like this is probably more likely to sway voters than anything else barring an outright national catastrophe.

When we get down to it, Manchester United show symptoms of a much worse sickness than Real Madrid and Florentino Perez. They just want to sustain their hegemony. They want to continue winning titles and attract big players. And they are desperate to stem the tide of PSG, City et. al. In effect they have capitulated and will settle for equal opportunity with their main rivals as long as it's perpetual. Our board just want to stuff themselves. The club built by Alex Ferguson has so much financial clouth it could even compete with the spending of the oil giants if it wanted to. They would have everything to gain, footballing wise, to allow Real and Barcelona and the Italian clubs to fall behind on the financial side of things.

But no, the Glazer's would rather collect that check for themselves. Screw titles, screw success. Get to spend less on salaries, less on transfers. And it's forever. Just an endless cash cow for them to squeeze.

Reactions: Fortitude

Varun1

Maybe there's something that I am missing, why should there be a punishment for brandishing an idea? It's not like it was implemented.

kidbob

Ban the owners from football and force sales of the clubs. Otherwise nothing as the players and managers were unaware of what was happening.

Swiss_Red89

Could Uefa ban the clubs for next seasons competitons?
There have to be punishments. Maybe the PL should give them all a 10 point deduction or something. It would be quite fair imo.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, I'm concerned about our players so I'm selfish. Good call.
To me sooner or later this will happen. Especially when those greedy cnuts are left managing the boards of those clubs. It’s much bigger than losing one or two seasons.

For some fans this attempted coup might not mean something, but the direction is clear.

hobbers

I wouldn't mind next season if all 12 teams were banned from European competition. Just for one season.

Firstly, they deserve it. But also it might even help get rid of the Glazers.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Having learned a bit more of the history of the Premier League, I don't think it compares very well with what the Super League was going for, although there are similar elements to it, but they were never going to be compatible with the Premier League in the way they tried to portray. If you started including salary caps etc, how does that work in the Premier league system if a team is built around the Super League format in order to stay a member of it. I mean this is all hypothetical now since this has fallen spectacularly on its face but it's just astounding how little thought went into this from elite businessmen and how a possibly stoned Florentino Perez seemed to make it up as it went in his interview. One of the clearest example of how the people in charge live in a bubble completely separate from the average football fan, you'd think they understand their customers a bit better than this.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
They tried it and backed down. Its an extreme comparison but if you conspired to commit a crime and then attempted it but stopped halfway through when it became obvious you couldn't pull it off, you're still punished. Conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder are still crimes.
They didn't break any rules of football.

Remind me to hire you when I'm being prosecuted for attempted murder.
Nice non-sequitur.

Rams

Could Uefa ban the clubs for next seasons competitons?
There have to be punishments. Maybe the PL should give them all a 10 point deduction or something. It would be quite fair imo.
Sure, the UEFA will ban them all the biggest names and the TV companies won’t mind one bit.

Red00012

Why punish the manager , the back room staff , players and fans ? They had nothing to do with it .

this was done by the owners who don’t give a feck about the club .

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
For all 6 teams;
- 20 points deduction this season.
- Banned from CL/EL next season.
- Fines of £50 million each, distributed through a rescue package to lower league clubs in danger of insolvency.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The manager and players having nothing to do with it hardly matters, does it? Clubs have been punished in the past for things that have nothing to do with managers or players. That's how punishing clubs tends to work.

Manchester United as a club signed up to this nonsense, so I have no issue with Manchester United as a club being punished (along with the others). The manager and players will be rightly annoyed and they can direct their ire upward at those who dropped them in this mess.

Kounan

There probably will be no punishments in the way of deducting points, banning from competitions and so as it probably would not stand in court. There was even some comment that in the court the clubs would have a very big chance of winning. What they could do is not giving them places in some boards or so. I think that United did a good thing with changing the CEO as it will be another person now talking with the rest of the teams. And at the end it is not in the interest of UEFA to punish the clubs.

When it comes to Premierleague it could be even harder as all the clubs wanted to stay in the league.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
There should be punishment. Plenty of fans/players get fecked over by their clubs owners just take a look at the likes of Bury.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
The manager and players having nothing to do with it hardly matters, does it? Clubs have been punished in the past for things that have nothing to do with managers or players. That's how punishing clubs tends to work.

Manchester United as a club signed up to this nonsense, so I have no issue with Manchester United as a club being punished (along with the others). The manager and players will be rightly annoyed and they can direct their ire upward at those who dropped them in this mess.
Exactly my thoughts too.

hobbers

Realistically, I dont think things went far enough for punishments to stick.

The 14 will be happy enough with the 6 climbing down.

caid

Ban from next 2 european competitions they qualify for. Reduced to 1 for City and Chelsea. Sucks for players, managers and fans but entirely warranted regardless.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Rumour going round that the English clubs jave been bribed by UEFA to leave the Super League with the Spanish clubs seen as the main enemy here. So I doubt there will be an European ban

Smores

There can't be no punishment for this so either they find a way to punish only the owners/board or its the whole club.

We can have no complaints and if managers players fans don't like it then they know who to blame.

Rams

Rumour going round that the English clubs jave been bribed by UEFA to leave the Super League with the Spanish clubs seen as the main enemy here. So I doubt there will be an European ban
The PL is the biggest league in terms of revenue so in case of a status quo the so called big 6 have far less to lose than a Real Madrid or a Barca.

lysglimt

Scout
Because legally the clubs did nothing wrong - I think that has been established. They have been greedy, arrogant, selfish etc - but there is no law against that. But every law-professor looking at it says - legally they probably would have won

So its impossible to punish them - nor would it be wise

Kounan

Because legally the clubs did nothing wrong - I think that has been established. They have been greedy, arrogant, selfish etc - but there is no law against that. But every law-professor looking at it says - legally they probably would have won

So its impossible to punish them - nor would it be wise
Exactly, they would win in courts and even ask for damages if they would suffer some from these decisions.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Imagine how the other 10 teams feel towards City and especially Chelsea.

"Bruv! What the feck happened? You said you're gonna stick with us and in the end you bottled it like evian! Snitches!"

:lol: