How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

buchansleftleg

I think a lifetime ban on all football activities for those executives / owners that initiated this. Yes they can easily get around that by employing a proxy or another family member, but it may prompt a couple to sell their club at a low point rather than when they had coined it in.

I know this would be largely symbolic but the "shame" aspect of this punishment is apt if it falls on people like Joel Glazer, Ed Woodward, Agnelli, Perez etc

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Club should pay a min fine of 400m
2. Relegation next season
3. Ban from European competitions for 5 years
4. All previous trophies won should be taken back.

They could appeal but if they loss the case again, should be fined by another 100m.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What the feck you on about?

How do you think city were paying the wages of all the players and staff? How do you think they even paid the fees to bring them to the club?

Financial doping had everything to do with the whole club and how it was formed. What a bizarre and naive comment.
How were the players responsible for financial doping? Did they have any knowledge of what the owners were doing behind their backs? No, how is it any different now?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Even the glory hunters would want their teams to keep winning at all costs. I don't know what this is. Its not like they will be awarded the Nobel Prize for self-loathing if we do get some punishment. Man Utd as a club suffered because the leeches at the helm thought they could get away with fecking over anyone they want. Yet, the fans want the club to get relegated as if this will serve justice?
Punish the careers of the manager, coaching staff and the players who had no clue what was going on. Sounds fair!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How were the players responsible for financial doping? Did they have any knowledge of what the owners were doing behind their backs? No, how is it any different now?
City broke the rules to comply with FFP, they cooked the books and inflated sponsorship deals for years to comply with the rules UEFA set to play in CL. They spent shit loads of money by showing the revenue that wasn't there and they used that money to buy the players. (everything was not proved in CAS btw)

In this case, owners of 12 clubs wanted to create a competition and failed at the first hurdle. Not sure what was even discussed with UEFA going by UEFA president's interview, where he welcomed back all the clubs and also called City as asset for football.

This is like some fans used to justify "diving is cheating and compared that with players appealing for throw ins".

TheReligion

Abusive
They profited from it. Jesus Christ. Don't you get how they are directly linked? All complicit.

The comparison is beyond daft. The players and staff in this instance have openly revolted against the suggestion that hasn't even been implemented.

Exactly, and people were celebrating when City were initially banned from the UCL for financial doping. Again, nothing to do with the players or fans as it was the owners don't this, but they were rightfully banned.
The players and fans have welcomed the financial doping with open arms.

United cried at the top of their lungs for help against a leveraged buyout which forced an incredibly run football club into debt and forced it to use it’s own money to pay for a family to own it.
United fans and players in the huge majority also spoke out against the ESL, as did fans, managers and players of the other 5 PL clubs in fairness.

Not quite the same like.

The majority of us fans have also warned for years about where state ownership of football clubs was taking us, teams are now forced to spend with a CL budget even if they aren’t guaranteed CL, long term the current path means to accept being second best, or risk financial ruin.

Not quite the same like.

TheReligion

Abusive
For those saying that it would be unfair to punish the players let’s not forget the players were punished at Wigan, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and so on. Did anybody really care then?
You are comparing this to clubs who have been operating illegally and outside of the rules? With players and staff being paid for significant periods with dirty money as such - indirectly benefiting.

I didn't want to see massive point deductions for any of those clubs though. They have literally destroyed Wigan who are a great little team. To compare that to this though is beyond stupid.

Plenty of the 14 are now just thinking of themselves and how they can get one up on the 6.

Pathetic really.

TheReligion

Abusive
The players and fans have welcomed the financial doping with open arms.

United cried at the top of their lungs for help against a leveraged buyout which forced an incredibly run football club into debt and forced it to use it’s own money to pay for a family to own it.
United fans and players in the huge majority also spoke out against the ESL, as did fans, managers and players of the other 5 PL clubs in fairness.

Not quite the same like.

The majority of us fans have also warned for years about where state ownership of football clubs was taking us, teams are now forced to spend with a CL budget even if they aren’t guaranteed CL, long term the current path means to accept being second best, or risk financial ruin.

Not quite the same like.
It seems the people going OTT on this have forgotten alot over the past few years.

Revan

Assumptionman
1. Club should pay a min fine of 400m
2. Relegation next season
3. Ban from European competitions for 5 years
4. All previous trophies won should be taken back.

They could appeal but if they loss the case again, should be fined by another 100m.
I would think that the only fair solution is to nuke their stadiums.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
You are comparing this to clubs who have been operating illegally and outside of the rules? With players and staff being paid for significant periods with dirty money as such - indirectly benefiting.

I didn't want to see massive point deductions for any of those clubs though. They have literally destroyed Wigan who are a great little team. To compare that to this though is beyond stupid.

Plenty of the 14 are now just thinking of themselves and how they can get one up on the 6.

Pathetic really.
or how they can become the 7th or 8th club before it happens again (everton, newcastle, leicester, leeds, west ham )

red4ever 79

Yeah let’s punish the supporter, players, coaching staff, back room staff by banning the clubs from Europe. Instead hows about banning the people behind this fiasco the owners, CEO’s.
Agreed, so lets have monetary sanctions then 200m$ will do it. Glazers will pay that and no money for transfers. As you were

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I think the cases of Wigan and Bolton are more worth the discussion than Man City tbh. The last couple of days have been great in unifying the entire football community and goes to prove that all of us, regardless of the size of club we support, share a similar set of values. Though I am not saying you should get a points deduction, I think it’s a little hypocritical to say that the players and fans shouldn’t be punished when it already happens in a number of cases where neither the players or fans are at fault for an owner’s wrongdoing.

Lynty

I'd support 20 point deduction or forfeit of the remaining games.

50+1 fan ownership is the ideal outcome but we are not yet sure of how realistic that is. Unfortunately, there's no method of directly punishing the individuals involved, so their organizations will have to take the hit.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the cases of Wigan and Bolton are more worth the discussion than Man City tbh. The last couple of days have been great in unifying the entire football community and goes to prove that all of us, regardless of the size of club we support, share a similar set of values. Though I am not saying you should get a points deduction, I think it’s a little hypocritical to say that the players and fans shouldn’t be punished when it already happens in a number of cases where neither the players or fans are at fault for an owner’s wrongdoing.
A number of cases which are nothing alike?

Wasn't much outrage when City mugged of CAS.

gajender

Yeah me neither. That's why they have all come out together.
I think it's just not the stick there could be a carrot as well in terms of further concessions for these Clubs ,which would unfold in near future which might have been kept confidential due current negativity surrounding these clubs and could have seen as caving in despite popular support from public at large against them
Let's wait and see how things pan out but I may be completely off the mark here .

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm not sure you can be punished for signing a letter of intent. Any action will surely be met with appeals and court cases.

I have to say, I expected Liverpool to be the first lot to back down and had they done so we'd have to had suffer all that club of the people mumbo-jumbo when their owners have proved themselves to be as bad as ours. I suppose a fine and suspended points deduction would be a good way to bury what is now a rotting corpse.

and don't forget the silver lining: Woodward gone by 2022!

Smores

That posters spot on it's no different than City. Trying to put blame on all of their fans and players for the owners doping is ridiculous but then clearly bias is starting to creep in now we've left.

No doubt some of our fans will cry if we rightly get punished. I'd like to think most have some more character about themselves to realise something must be done.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The best punishment is implementation of measures that permanently bar the possibility of such a stunt ever being pulled again. Fan ownership, wage/transfer caps, caps on ticket prices, reduction of CL places... Make the sport more fair and egalitarian, and impossible to penetrate by oligarchs and vulture capitalists.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
A number of cases which are nothing alike?

Wasn't much outrage when City mugged of CAS.
As I said, I am not saying you should get a points deduction, that’s for others to decide. Rule 9 of the PL states you should not enter any other competition and if the authorities deem that you did break that rule then the full spectrum of punishment options should be on the table, as they are with every other club.

As a fan of the other 14 I couldn’t give a t@ss if it’s a points deduction or something else as long as it deters these owners from doing it again. We are all united in that.

I also recall a fair bit of outrage about Man City/CAS.

roonster09

Scout
I wouldn't be surprised if the six sides were told on the quiet yesterday "if you backout now, we won't punish you".
More likely, "We will give you bigger share from the pot".

That posters spot on it's no different than City. Trying to put blame on all of their fans and players for the owners doping is ridiculous
Bollocks.

Have city fans ever spoken out about the clear doping ?

Have city players ever questioned why a tinpot club is paying them silly money, why is the best manager in the World even at even at a tinpot club like City? They are all implicit.

Not remotely fecking similar to fans that have spoken out and cried for help against their ownership and screamed blue murder about the formation of the ESL.

shaky

50+1 legislation should be a good punishment for the owners who tried to brutally murder their golden goose. I could also get behind stripping every team involved of all trophies won in the past 8 years or so.

I expect there could be a fine announced that has been pre-agreed and will be offset by a new revenue structure in the existing system.

There will be no points deductions, relegations or anything daft like that. The league needs these 6 clubs more than they need the league.

roonster09

Scout
Bollocks.

Have city fans ever spoken out about the clear doping ?

Have city players ever questioned why a tinpot club is paying them silly money, why is the best manager in the World even at even at a tinpot club like City? They are all implicit.

Not remotely fecking similar to fans that have spoken out and cried for help against their ownership and screamed blue murder about the formation of the ESL.
Spot on.

Abizzz

I expect there could be a fine announced that has been pre-agreed and will be offset by a new revenue structure in the existing system.

There will be no points deductions, relegations or anything daft like that. The league needs these 6 clubs more than they need the league.
I think that idea has just been conclusively proven false. (I still don't expect any serious consequences).

TheReligion

Abusive
As I said, I am not saying you should get a points deduction, that’s for others to decide. Rule 9 of the PL states you should not enter any other competition and if the authorities deem that you did break that rule then the full spectrum of punishment options should be on the table, as they are with every other club.

As a fan of the other 14 I couldn’t give a t@ss if it’s a points deduction or something else as long as it deters these owners from doing it again. We are all united in that.

I also recall a fair bit of outrage about Man City/CAS.
Did they enter a competition though? The SL didn't even exist and wasn't going to commence for some time. The club's hadn't announced anything or confirmed it.

People are clutching as I say.

That posters spot on it's no different than City. Trying to put blame on all of their fans and players for the owners doping is ridiculous but then clearly bias is starting to creep in now we've left.

No doubt some of our fans will cry if we rightly get punished. I'd like to think most have some more character about themselves to realise something must be done.
The players and management at City know exactly what they're doing when they're getting all these image payments sent to offshore bank accounts. If they don't, they should. Totally different to the rest of the clubs.

TheReligion

Abusive

You're utterly blinkered if you can't see any difference between the two.

The fans, players and staff all benefitted and were paid as a result of the doping. They didn't care where the money was coming from.

In this instance the fans, players and staff have all revolted against what looked to be being forced on them by club owner's. They all helped to bring it to a close. No one's profited.