How should the breakaway clubs be dealt with now?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Exactly, which is why all this talk of punishment by the PL is ridiculous.

They've broken no rules (yet), so there should be absolutely no punishment.
That's what I've been saying since the beginning, but the self-righteous lot are up in arms. :houllier:

Lee565

Maybe a season long transfer ban on buying players for all clubs involved which would in turn allow the clubs around the super 12 in their respective leagues to gain a small advantage on them and potentially create a more competitive challenge in their leagues

stevoc

They pretty clearly wanted to hence all the legal threats.
I'm genuinely interested in what rules they would have broken?

There were reports that the English clubs would have broken PL rules if they played in the SL without a majority vote from other PL clubs which I can believe.

But surely UEFA don't have rules in place that forbid teams setting up their own European tournaments?

The Fairs Cup, and the Anglo Italian cup weren't organized or recognized by UEFA I don't believe. Same with the Super Cup and the Cup Winners Cup at first. They were organized by other groups and UEFA took over later.

If Burnley, Brighton, Sheffield, Fulham, Osasuna, Levante, Getafe, Genoa, Torino and Parma had released a statement that they intended to compete in their own Euro tournament no one probably would have cared or been talking about punishments.

Tyrion

I'm genuinely interested in what rules they would have broken?

There were reports that the English clubs would have broken PL rules if they played in the SL without a majority vote from other PL clubs which I can believe.

But surely UEFA don't have rules in place that forbid teams setting up their own European tournaments?

The Fairs Cup, and the Anglo Italian cup weren't organized or recognized by UEFA I don't believe. Same with the Super Cup and the Cup Winners Cup at first. They were organized by other groups and UEFA took over later.

If Burnley, Brighton, Sheffield, Fulham, Osasuna, Levante, Getafe, Genoa, Torino and Parma had released a statement that they intended to compete in their own Euro tournament no one probably would have cared or been talking about punishments.
I assumed that they'd sign up to some sort of commitment to UEFA. Afaik, they were in committees voting in support of the new CL format on Friday knowing full-well what was coming on Sunday.

Honestly I do think something should be done against them even though they backed down. Maybe not legally but the other PL/UEFA clubs should take this as a chance to take back more power from them.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Given the performances of the teams, it seems like they've decided to punish themselves. Except for Man City of course, but then they can just dust-off a second team of internationals long-forgotten down the back of Mansour's sofa.

stevoc

I assumed that they'd sign up to some sort of commitment to UEFA. Afaik, they were in committees voting in support of the new CL format on Friday knowing full-well what was coming on Sunday.

Honestly I do think something should be done against them even though they backed down. Maybe not legally but the other PL/UEFA clubs should take this as a chance to take back more power from them.
But aren't UEFA competitions actually invitational tournaments? Aren't team's for whatever reason they would choose to do so, within their rights to decline an invitation and not compete in their European competitions?

The Intercontinental cup was part organized by UEFA and teams declined an invitation to play in that regularly in the 70's and 80's.

I don't actually care if the 12 clubs are punished in some way, but I also don't think UEFA should have a monopoly on European competitions. If the Super League proposal had been more open with a chance for all teams to qualify then I don't think UEFA should have the power to block rival competitions being set up. In fact I would like to think/hope that they actually don't.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
For all 6 teams;
- 20 points deduction this season.
- Banned from CL/EL next season.
- Fines of £50 million each, distributed through a rescue package to lower league clubs in danger of insolvency.
Excellent

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Because of the government position and the upcoming fan review, plus the public mood, the hand of the footballing authorities and the 14 ‘legacy clubs’ is strengthened. One way to force change could be to offer the six offending clubs a way out of punishment by self-regulation before a given date.

A deadline is announced; they have that window to reform their board (a long list, including voting rights, fan representation, civic representation, “football” representation (ex players etc), women’s football rep, minority voting rights for owners, share redistribution, etc etc).

Lack of compliance would be met by even tougher regulation via legislation and censure: massive fines/points deduction/relegation whatever you are having yourself to discourage absentee landlords and batshit crazy proposals like the ESL. That ought to get their attention.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I've heard people saying stuff like huge fines, points deduction, banning from Europe etc. Considering it was fan power which was a major contribution to the end of ESL, those sort of sanctions, which affect the club's ability to compete at the highest level, would be a punishment to the fans as much as the clubs. The very people who were fundamental in bringing about the end of the ESL.

Also seen City being praised as the first ones to break ranks. Well, of course, they don't need the money, do they? It's neither here nor there to their owners. They just wanted to be seen as one of the big boys.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know what the rules of UEFA for these cases are or what mechanisms/options they have for punishment, I'm just saying that signing a contract is not a meaningless act.
Just as well then they didn’t sign contracts then

They signed letters of intent . Upon signing these letters my understanding is that the final draft of the contracts were released

The clubs and their legal representatives will surely have known that the final decision as to could they participate or not wasn’t theirs so unless all the legal representatives of these multi hundred of million turnover clubs just ignored that possibility then they I suspect they all covered their backsides