How to fall in love with the club again?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Fergie could be a bit of a dick. How is that surprising to anyone who's followed his career for half-a-second? I mean I love the guy to bits but he let a silly tiff with John Magnier and J P McManus jeopardise the future of the football club for crying out loud which is more questionable than anything Mourinho has ever done. I mean I appreciate that none of this really matters to a lot of fans in the grand scheme of things given his success on the pitch but @ivaldo is 100% correct here. Not sure why you're getting so worked up over this.
Yup. His unprecedented success on the pitch has given people leave to excuse him of it, which is fair enough, but that doesn't mean it hadn't happened.

InfiniteBoredom

How do you fall out of love with the club, to fall back in love with it again? I’m sure that question has already been asked and answered to but I just can’t fathom how one does this?!
Relationships are hardly ever linear. Football is actually very similar to a romance, you get the intense initial period when you obsessively follow everything, only to either let life’s other priorities took over, or make it a lifelong commitment.

I think hardly anyone here can with a straight face say that they approach every games every seasons with the same enthusiasm. I haven’t missed a United game since I started following the club but couldn’t remember some of the shite performances we had under the last 3 managers, at the same time I still remember trivial games like the time we lost 2-3 at home to Spurs in 12-13, or 4-2 Blackpool last game of the season 2010/11 when we were champions, they needed to win to stay up and went 2-0 up. When the attraction is gone it feels like a chore, hence the ‘falling out of love’ sentiment.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Nice sidestep. You could've focused on the crux of the point but instead you've gone down this route. Frankly, if Jose had done what Fergie did then you would have been the first to condemn him on here. My comparison was perhaps a little too simplistic, but the meat of it is still there to chew on. You absolve Fergie of what he did because he had unprecedented success on the pitch. Trying to vindicate your flippancy about your feelings for the club based upon a kind of moral standing is just a smokescreen. If Jose had the same level of impact on the field as Fergie you would have absolved him too.
There's no side step or dubstep. I only replied to your posts when you went in all guns blazing with 'Fergie was as bad as the worst of Mou'.

I have no idea what to make of the rest of that post. Some utter guff you post. How come I've never noticed you before?

fishfingers15

Fergie could be a bit of a dick. How is that surprising to anyone who's followed his career for half-a-second? I mean I love the guy to bits but he let a silly tiff with John Magnier and J P McManus jeopardise the future of the football club for crying out loud which is more questionable than anything Mourinho has ever done. I mean I appreciate that none of this really matters to a lot of fans in the grand scheme of things given his success on the pitch but @ivaldo is 100% correct here. Not sure why you're getting so worked up over this.
Wut? How many fans really believe that Fergie could be as bad as Mourinho? I'm genuinely flabbergasted that our own fans would think this way.

Siorac

Wut? How many fans really believe that Fergie could be as bad as Mourinho? I'm genuinely flabbergasted that our own fans would think this way.
It's staggering. Mourinho really did a number on a seemingly significant chunk of our fanbase.

ivaldo

There's no side step or dubstep. I only replied to your posts when you went in all guns blazing with 'Fergie was as bad as the worst of Mou'.

I have no idea what to make of the rest of that post. Some utter guff you post. How come I've never noticed you before?
Another sidestep. Nice made up quote, too. I can't remember Jose jeopardising the future of the club over a personal spat with the owners, nor damaging the development of players out of loan because a club sacked his son, nor displaying clear and outright nepotism, or kicking a boot at our star player, can you? Jose was a dick, but the clear and defining difference between he and Fergie was the latter had success on the pitch, and therefore had been largely absolved of it. Using Jose's bitterness as apparent justification for falling out of love with the club doesn't float with me, and I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy in it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's all relative though isn't it? Fergie at his boot-kicking, horse-whispering worst was better than Jose at his cannibalistic virus-infecting worst, but both were arguably better than Moyes doing his 'best' :lol:.

fishfingers15

Another sidestep. Nice made up quote, too. I can't remember Jose jeopardising the future of the club over a personal spat with the owners, nor damaging the development of players out of loan because a club sacked his son, nor displaying clear and outright nepotism, or kicking a boot at our star player, can you? Jose was a dick, but the clear and defining difference between he and Fergie was the latter had success on the pitch, and therefore had been largely absolved of it. Using Jose's bitterness as apparent justification for falling out of love with the club doesn't float with me, and I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy in it.
:lol:

Are you this mental all the time?

fishfingers15

A laughing face and a petty insult while not replying to anything in the actual post? Sidestep. Are you this hopeless all the time?
Well, I'm hardly the Adonis of posters here but still I should be able to laugh at someone who thinks Fergie and Mou are dicks only separated by success :lol:

ivaldo

Well, I'm hardly the Adonis of posters here but still I should be able to laugh at someone who thinks Fergie and Mou are dicks only separated by success :lol:
Another green smiley and another strawman? I'm being treated to some top bantz today. The first 7 words of your post were enough.You're either being purposely obtuse or you are absolutely clueless of the circumstances surrounding the ROG spat. I'm leaning towards the latter.

fishfingers15

Another green smiley and another strawman? I'm being treated to some top bantz today. The first 7 words of your post were enough.You're either being purposely obtuse or you are absolutely clueless of the circumstances surrounding the ROG spat. I'm leaning towards the latter.
What strawman? Didn't you say that Jose and Fergie are both dicks, only that Fergie is absolved of being a dick because of his success?

ivaldo

What strawman? Didn't you say that Jose and Fergie are both dicks, only that Fergie is absolved of being a dick because of his success?
That isn't their only speration.

I've tried to steer the discussion back to where it was when the comment was made but in true fashion you want to ignore all context. Now your complete lack of awareness of how damaging the ROG situation could've been goes a long way to validating exactly what I said. If you're going to reply, do it in context.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I've only known United through the fergie years from very early 90s and up until now and I'll never fall out of love United, this club is a huge part of my life, always have been always will be.

TRUERED89

It's all relative though isn't it? Fergie at his boot-kicking, horse-whispering worst was better than Jose at his cannibalistic virus-infecting worst, but both were arguably better than Moyes doing his 'best' :lol:.
I agree, SAF wouldn't call players virus's in public, constantly throw his best players under the bus, moan about needing more CB's. Say during pre-season 'the fans shouldn't bother turning up'. Tell us after getting smashed by Sevilla 'I sit here with Porto, United out, I sit here with Madrid, united out' what kind of scum bag would say that. there's just no comparison between the 2, Jose is pure poison. SAF loved the club and never belittled it or the players.

MrPooni

As @ivaldo alluded to earlier, you have this habit of defaulting to bombastic, overarching hyperbole whenever someone loosely disagrees with you. All I've said in this exchange for example is Fergie could be a bit of a dick at times, which is true about pretty much anyone, myself included but you immediately started clutching your pearls like I'd walked into a church and pissed the font during Sunday service or something. I even cited an example where his stubbornness posed an existential threat to the clubs future and the best response you could muster was to huff and puff about how flabbergasted you are. We get it man, you've made it pretty clear where you stand on this matter but I'm confident no amount of grandstanding is going to change how myself or @ivaldo feel about this particular subject so why keep beating this dead horse? All our heroes are flawed and some people are more okay with that than others, it's not a massive deal. We've strayed way too off topic now so I'll leave it at that.

Andrew~

Ultimately you're free to support whoever you want however you want but this idea that "most fans" subscribe to your way of thinking about football is absolute nonsense. If "most fans" thought the way you and most of the posters clambering to justify their questionable relationship with the club did, the entire English football system would collapse.
Why? Do you think Bournemouth fans would be as excited about their club if they played terrible football week in, week out; no youth development, no nurturing of English talent? I think you're the one who's got it the wrong way: football isn't the be all and end all for most people, it's entertainment. The average fan isn't going to pay money to go to games if their team is a) shit, b) boring and c) doesn't represent the values the club is supposed to be about.

I mean, it's great if you're one of those people who will still pay your hard-earned money to go to matches regardless of what's going on, but don't expect some kind of respect or take some kind of weird moral high ground which doesn't exist. 'Questionable relationship with the club' - some of you lot act like the club is your nan or something. Get a grip guys. :lol:

CA_vampire

That they were both capable of being dicks. The fact you would find it acceptable for one manager to do it and not the other just vindicates my point. Thanks!
There is a huge difference. SAF for this club is the greatest manager ever. Jose for this club is a failure. If Jose had won for us a couple of championships and a CL in 3 years, we might be prepared to find more stuff "acceptable". As it is, he is a useless miserable little man that did not help the club at all, good riddance.

TRUERED89

I didn't specifically say "results," I said the team "doing well," and as I've said several times, that's inclusive of of more than just results.

However, you're naive if you this thread would be bumped, if these good vibes would have returned, if we were getting whipped every week under Ole. If supporting the club, not the manager or the players but the club, during a difficult is a sign of a lack of love for it, I think you've got everything a bit backwards. Call me old fashioned, but a period of relative tribulation shouldn't have you questioning your love for the club. Feel frustrated or having less enthusiasm than usual is fair enough, but those are different things.

As the divisive Johnny Vaughn says: don't let the football get in the way of a good day out at the football. I wonder how you'd explain the passion still shown by fans of Sunderland, Plymouth, Wimbledon etc. who have had a torrid time over recent years, but still follow their club around the country rain or shine.
This....

you can still love the club but hate the football, they shouldn't be linked. I couldn't stand Moyes after his 'we aspire to be like City/Liverpool' statement. But not once did I ever think to myself; I just don't love United anymore and I'm not interested in watching the games, that will just never happen. I must easily have watched 95% of Moyes, LVG and Jose's games. Most weeks I was left feeling dejected but I never had any less love for the club.

ivaldo

There is a huge difference. SAF for this club is the greatest manager ever. Jose for this club is a failure. If Jose had won for us a couple of championships and a CL in 3 years, we might be prepared to find more stuff "acceptable". As it is, he is a useless miserable little man that did not help the club at all, good riddance.
Yeah, that's my point.

Red Stone

I've seen a few examples of how Fergie was a dick, but no-one seems to mention the fact that he was at the club ten times longer than Mourinho and yet Mourinho has more instances of talking shite about the club and undermining the players and the staff. Fergie might have drifted into dick territory from time to time, but apart from a very small amount of situations he always had the club's best interests in mind. Mourinho in comparison was permanently stuck on the dick setting and only cared about his own best interests, to the point where he (in my opinion) actively began sabotaging the club just to get his quick payoff and go back to London.

There's no logic behind comparing the two. Falling out of love with the club because of Mourinho, and also because the board made three disastrous appointments in a row and sucked the identity and soul out of the club, isn't immediately unjustifiable because SAF acted like a cock from time to time. That's like saying you can't break up with someone who doesn't love you, isn't compatible with you on a personal level and actually downright demeans and abuses you on a weekly basis just because you've previously been in a long term relationship with someone who had mild anger issues and had a couple of feck-ups but mostly treated you well and loved you dearly. Mourinho and SAF are on two completely different levels of cock. One is acceptable, the other one isn't.

Macern

Pee pee pants
When we were down 2-0 against Burnley, I never felt we'd lose it. It just didnt feel like that was it and it would be 2-0. Bit like when we lost 2-1 to Roma in 06/07. Didnt feel like a loss and then we spanked them 7-1.

That to me shows the confidence in the current management that I havent had since Fergie. No matter how bad a position we are in, we're Manchester United and we dont quit.
Completely agree. Before I felt like watching some Mourinho team with everything that includes. Same with Van Gaal and Moyes, they were never proper United teams. Obviously Moyes inherited SAFs squad, but he was so inept that it wasn’t like watching United at all.

Whatever happens now it’s that feeling of watching a proper Man Utd team playing proper United football. We have that aura now, that confidence, that arrogance. Unbelievable to see how much has changed in less than two months. Players like Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Herrera, Shaw all stepping up looking like real United players who could’ve played during the SAF era.

CA_vampire

Yeah, that's my point.
Unfortunately, you are not capable of expressing it properly. Perhaps because you are confused.

Definitely someone who is successful has more leeway, in all parts of life. That happens everywhere. It is trivial. However, this does not mean that a useless moron is entitled to act like a superstar. This would only make him look even more like a complete idiot.

In our case, if Jose (while at Man Utd) behaves like he is equal to SAF, then this makes him look even smaller and pitiful.

If that is your point, then we agree!

Denis' cuff

Don’t fall out of love.... support

Listen to the lads every week supporting non stop at every away game. Even under Moyes, lvg, Mou.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I NEVER fell out of love with the club. I lost faith in those who run it, the managers and some of the players, but I NEVER EVER stopped loving Manchester United.

However, I definitely fell out of love and am disgusted with a large percentage of people who claim to support the club. Some of the fans behaviour and comments through these tough times have been disgraceful. Even now there are morons slagging Ole off, calling him a yes man and wanting him out and to be replaced by Poch, just because they think he will spend hundreds of millions on players. It's fecking insanity.

lysglimt

Scout
Then why support a club at all? Why not just follow a player or manager you like instead, if that's all a club is. Imagine if we were Sunderland or Plymouth, Portsmouth or Wimbledon, if something genuinely shit happened to the club, I'd like to think I'd still be supporting it.
I love the club - but I hated everything the club was about to become. Should I sit home and fake enthusiasm ?

lysglimt

Scout
I NEVER fell out of love with the club. I lost faith in those who run it, the managers and some of the players, but I NEVER EVER stopped loving Manchester United.

However, I definitely fell out of love and am disgusted with a large percentage of people who claim to support the club. Some of the fans behaviour and comments through these tough times have been disgraceful. Even now there are morons slagging Ole off, calling him a yes man and wanting him out and to be replaced by Poch, just because they think he will spend hundreds of millions on players. It's fecking insanity.
My personal favourite was the guys who on Twitter wanted Ole out for giving Jones a new contract!

Cloud7

Waitttt..... What, people want Ole out? It this a real thing?
If you’re on twitter go and check out @MikeLUHG

The guy is a complete nutcase. He hates Ole because Ole didn’t put pressure on the board to spend hundreds of millions in January, and he said that he’s happy to work with the players he has. I initially found this person to be disgusting, but now I enjoy seeing just how deranged he can get. It’s like all the worst bits of the “trophy obsessed, glazer hating, Woodward out!!1!, success is all that matters now how we play” posters from here rolled into one and then allowed to blossom.

ivaldo

Unfortunately, you are not capable of expressing it properly. Perhaps because you are confused.

Definitely someone who is successful has more leeway, in all parts of life. That happens everywhere. It is trivial. However, this does not mean that a useless moron is entitled to act like a superstar. This would only make him look even more like a complete idiot.

In our case, if Jose (while at Man Utd) behaves like he is equal to SAF, then this makes him look even smaller and pitiful.

If that is your point, then we agree!
I've expressed it fine, demonstrated by those that have agreed with what I've said. I can't accommodate any more for you lack of comprehension, however.

You seem to be conflating two very separate issues. This isn't a defense of Jose in any way, this is a discussion on why people have fallen out of love with the club, citing Joses attitude as the issue. Those same people are perfectly fine with accepting Fergie and his flaws but not Jose. They accept him because he's the greatest manager of all time, indicating it isn't Jose's attitude, mannerisms etc. that's the issue, but his relative lack of success at the club.

That's perfectly fine to have your love for the club dictated by the results and performances, there's no issue with that. But let's not dress it up as something it isn't. This isn't virtue signalling, I'm perfectly happy accepting that fans, both of this club and others, who travel home and away have a deeper connection to the club than I. I have a friend that makes a 5 hour round trip to go watch bleedin' Luton at home every other week, and then travels to every away game too. He doesn't lose complete interest when the team isn't performing exactly he wants it to.

I love the club - but I hated everything the club was about to become. Should I sit home and fake enthusiasm ?
Nope, do whatever you like.

nycender

Never fell out of love. If anything Jose made me hate that I loved it so much.

Robbie Boy

If you’re on twitter go and check out @MikeLUHG

The guy is a complete nutcase. He hates Ole because Ole didn’t put pressure on the board to spend hundreds of millions in January, and he said that he’s happy to work with the players he has. I initially found this person to be disgusting, but now I enjoy seeing just how deranged he can get. It’s like all the worst bits of the “trophy obsessed, glazer hating, Woodward out!!1!, success is all that matters now how we play” posters from here rolled into one and then allowed to blossom.
feck me, are some people ever happy!

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
This is really sad post, to be fair.

Below you'll find three different posts I published here a few years ago. Nothing changed. This is painful, this is tragic, this is unbelieveable. Nothing has changed in this club.

I simply can't fell this is my club. I'm disgusted. I'm annoyed. I'm angry at Woodward, I'm disappointed with Solskjaer and all the other post-Ferguson managers.

This club hasn't given me any joy since PSG game in Paris and before that there was a long gap between Paris and Evra's goal at Allianz Arena in 2013-14.

I love Sir Alex Ferguson, but this club is nothing without him and I'm tired of waiting, to be fair.

Watching United after Ferguson's retirement hasn't been the same and there was a time when you realised that. You didn't feel the magic, you felt that it's not your team.

How to get rid of that feeling? How to fall in love with the club again?

Under Moyes watching United was simply hoping that those guys could still play just like they had done under Ferguson, we all wanted to see the change and to see them getting the results they had got under Sir Alex. It didn't happen. It was pure frustration.

Under van Gaal it was painful, really painful. I just couldn't stand watching United, even though we sometimes got some nice results. Tactics, philosophy and some strange idea for that group of players didn't help.

(...)

There are many new players, bought by Ferguson's successors, which doesn't help. When I see Pogba and Lingard, I feel as old as Pogue sometimes is when he talks about people nowadays. Is it just me? Do I moan too much? I just can't feel the relationship between me and the players anymore.

I know that I can't expect this club to be exactly the same as it was under Ferguson, but I wanted to ask how you got rid of the feeling that it's not your club and how you fell in love again.
I'm fed up with Manchester United. I used to think it was football that I'm fed up with, but I actually enjoy watching games and going to some Polish stadiums to watch some poor or average teams live. After Fergie's retirement I thought it was football, but I can see that Manchester United simply ran away from me a few years after he retired (I think it was during van Gaal's second season, to be honest).

Annoying sponsorship deals, players who I simply don't get (half of them being younger than me doesn't help) as I prefered the old style (Rio's "stupid" things outside football were always in the shadow of his performances on the pitch), huge spending by our club (how can you waste so much money, change so many players and still play shit?), Jose Mourinho being here doesn't help as well.

I was in Munich in 2009, at Audi Cup, a pre-season tournament and I actually liked Bayern and the city of Muenchen. It's quite close to my town, too, and I have some relatives in Germany. Is it weird that I seem to have a bigger interest in that club than I have in United? Bundesliga has also become an interesting league to watch (of course in the bigger picture, as Bayern have won it six times in a row) and is really well-organised. They prefer the old style, the legends remain at the club and they would never hire Mourinho, wouldn't they?

Manchester United started to be my team when I was young, and it was selected as many youngsters select their clubs from abroad. I liked Beckham and I liked the shirt. Bayern seem to be something that was really chosen by me. I enjoyed that trip to Munich, but over the years I simply started to like more things related to the Germans than to United.
And this one, from the thead when I asked you When did you realise that, actually, we're not a unique club?

Was it when David Moyes took over and you saw that the man before him was not going to be there 'always'?

Or maybe was it when the same David Moyes was sacked and those bollocks about trusting your own managaer and the belief we should have in someone like him was just an nice expression which our club wanted to present after the great man left?

Or maybe was it when Louis van Gaal's team played the most boring football and you felt it's no our way?

Or maybe it was when Jose Mourinho became our manager and you saw that we don't have any 'rule', but we simply brought the best man available?

Or maybe when we made some really expensive transfers showing others that it's not a "Class of 92 only" club anymore? (As some of you still think in 2017.)

Or maybe when you saw that we can't really say anything good about our Academy or Reserves anymore? Which is different from, for example, five years ago?

Or maybe when you started to feel that it's not the United which give chance to their youth players anymore, as Jose Mourinho got the job to bring some trophies back and he doesn't care as he's not going to spend the rest of his career at Old Trafford?

Or maybe was it when you saw Ed Woodward doing strange things after taking over which resulted in us being a really shite laughing stock at one point?

Or maybe when they started to treat our club as a product? And when they focus more on new sponsorship deals rather than their fans?

Or maybe was it when you saw Lingard getting his new (£100,000 a week) deal?

Or maybe when we bought Pogba (back) for a lot of money and we always thought that we're special enough to use our money, but never to think that we would break the world record transfer fee?

Or maybe when we got Lukaku for so much when there must have been chances to get him cheaper seasons before that?

There could be many, many different examples, and I believe that you're going to present your own expressions. When did you started to feel that it's not the same as you used to think? Because, you can't agree, there is this word "unique" (or "special") which is used quite frequently by many of you when we discuss about different matters concerning United. To be fair, I hate it, because every supporter thinks something like that about his or her club, so it's just something unnecessary for (some of) you to write. Especially that - as some of the examples written by me shows - we're not that unique (at least anymore).

What's your choice? What's your opinion?

For me, it's something with money. I don't like that we joined that crazy world of huge transfer fees last season (yeah, I know that comparing to Neymar it wasn't much, but you get my point) and I don't like that Ed Woodward has used the club in a really unfriendly towards the fans way. I know it's been something like that for a long time, especially since Glazers, but - believe me - now, not only match going fans can feel it. And I know that the times have changed. I just don't like the fact that we have a sponsor for everything. We have the Official Pharmaceutical Partner of Manchester United for Korea and Vietnam, we also have the Official Coffee Partner of Manchester United for UK, Ireland and Germany. There are many strange "official partners" for us, actually. We have a fecking Official Global Mattress and Pillow Partner, too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Manchester United had always been for me this lovely beautiful girl you found yourself in love with. You probably could have fixated on someone whose more beautiful. Back when I was a kid it was AC Milan of the 80s and early 90s who played much better football at the time then we did. She might be snappy at times and can send you in rage form. I still can't forgive us going full skint mode after the treble. Jeez that team deserved 1-2 more CL titles. But at the end of the day you love her because she's got character depth, she's unique and can make you live moments no other girl will ever do.

It's a shame that we're being lead by incompetent people who are only in it for the money. Manchester United, its history, the lovely people of Manchester, its legends and last but not least their fans (even the top reds) deserve better, way better then that.

liamp

Not really sure how to address this. My love for this club started when I was young and our family moved to the Manchester area and it lingered after we relocated to Kent and then ultimately to the US. While it's fortunate that the club won its first title under SAF and enjoyed most of its success during my formative years, as I got older I learned how to separate the love of the club from the love of SAF.

As someone now well into his 30's, none of the stuff that's happened over the past 8 years has really affected anything for me...I'm not discouraged by the club going through a barren spell. I live in the US, where parity is systematically enforced across all of the sports leagues and where sustained dominance the likes of what we saw under SAF is just not an expectation. I was also someone who never really subscribed to United, Kids, Wife in that order whether it be serious or not, mainly because it seemed absurd. I'm not sure where I fall in the Top Red spectrum, but I imagine comparatively speaking it's pretty low.

RedDevil@84

The way I see it, the sadness we feel is only because we love the club. If not, we would have moved on.

Currently, we are just being sabotaged by the owners and CEO. And I am not even sure how you could stop them from.

Paul_Scholes18

The way I see it, the sadness we feel is only because we love the club. If not, we would have moved on.

Currently, we are just being sabotaged by the owners and CEO. And I am not even sure how you could stop them from.
Totally agree. It is just very high frustration about where we are going.
I think for fans that have stuck around for all the time since SAF left there is clear love for the club.