How to fix VAR “offsides”?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I really wish FA would come out already and describe the process in huge detail to the public.

I really hope that image is not completely correct, that 50 fps camera line in particular.
I've seen conflicting reports on what the fps on VAR cameras is but I would find it utterly baffling if it was 50fps. That's the frame rate broadcast cameras use and we've been told that VAR uses cameras with a higher frame rate than those. Also, Hawkeye themselves happily use 340fps+ cameras in cricket, tennis and their goal-line tech so I have no idea why they'd be restricted to such basic cameras on offsides. It's not like having a camera better than 50fps would be in any way prohibitively expensive. But hey, what do I know?

From what I've read there's a margin of error of up to 3.6mm on goal-line technology, so we can be sure it's at least more than that on offsides no matter how great their cameras are. Though it's interesting that I've never heard the accuracy of GLT ever even being questioned by fans since it came in.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I've seen conflicting reports on what the fps on VAR cameras is but I would find it utterly baffling if it was 50fps. That's the frame rate broadcast cameras use and we've been told that VAR uses cameras with a higher frame rate than those. Also, Hawkeye themselves happily use 340fps+ cameras in cricket, tennis and their goal-line tech so I have no idea why they'd be restricted to such basic cameras on offsides. It's not like having a camera better than 50fps would be in any way prohibitively expensive. But hey, what do I know?

From what I've read there's a margin of error of up to 3.6mm on goal-line technology, so we can be sure it's at least more than that on offsides no matter how great their cameras are. Though it's interesting that I've never heard the accuracy of GLT ever even being questioned by fans since it came in.
I believe VAR actually use tv camera feeds but I'm not sure how true that is just something I've read online. Unsubstantiated though.

Gasolin

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fside-review-ifab-goals-replays-a9264306.html

IFAB said VAR was being incorrectly used in the EPL right now.
The error should be obvious, not for 1mm offsides.

The FA apparently is refusing to change the way they are doing things this season for "equity" purposes, yet they have already granted goals and points to Liverpool by refusing valid goals against them and granting invalid goals for them... disappointing. They should change now, it's a big news, and one that needs to be applied. Half a season is still enough to get things right and fix it.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The problem with VAR and off side calls is the moment of the final pass. When making a call based on one frozen frame its very important to pick up the exact moment of pass. Few miliseconds either way results in a goal being given or not. Its quite easy to draw lines between defenders and attackers but finding the exact moment of pass is rocket science.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has anyone seen this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fside-review-ifab-goals-replays-a9264306.html

The FA apparently is refusing to change the way they are doing things this season for "equity" purposes, yet they have already granted goals and points to Liverpool by refusing valid goals against them and granting invalid goals for them... disappointing. They should change now, it's a big news, and one that needs to be applied. Half a season is still enough to get things right and fix it.

peridigm

Why don't they put electronic tags on the players and the ball. Let a computer decide it. Take the ambiguity away as everything will be a digital line. Center line of the ball, a tag in the waste line or shoelace of a boot, shirt collar, etc...

padr81

Supports
Man City
Why don't they put electronic tags on the players and the ball. Let a computer decide it. Take the ambiguity away as everything will be a digital line. Center line of the ball, a tag in the waste line or shoelace of a boot, shirt collar, etc...
Because the offside body part will not line up with the tag. What if the defender is facing away from goal and the forward towards goal etc.. there is no simple solution. Faster camera's are about it. Other than that simply only using VAR for clear and obvious.. so if the lino makes a howler otherwise the goal stands.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Has anyone seen this?

Read this today on a french site. IFAB are fecking cnuts though, they really should have enforced the importance of their concept of "obvious error" and not let it vague like they did