How to get Glazers out of Manchester United

Rish Sawhney

Its a not a simple matter of wanting Glazers out. The next owners could be much much worse. I'd want to see who they would be before I agree that I prefer them over Glazers. Glazer's haven't been amazing, but they haven't really been as bad as our fans like to paint them as. Its just been unlucky that they were owners in a period when Fergie retired. The same thing happened after Busby retired. This is how Manchester United has always been.

Bestietom

Glazer family have 'drained £1billion from Manchester United' and cost club chance of 'dominating Europe'
Supporters' group hits out at owners 10 years after takeover at Old Trafford

Click to follow
Sport

The Glazer family has been accused of draining £1billion from Manchester United and wrecking the club's chances of dominating Europe.

The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) chose the 10-year anniversary of the Glazers' takeover to launch a fresh attack on the American family.

The Glazers' £790million leveraged buyout of United in 2005 caused uproar among the club's fans and sparked the creation of breakaway club FC United.

Ten years on, MUST is still unhappy about the way the family borrowed against the club to finance their takeover.
"Not investing a single penny might be considered an 'ownership crime' by fans at most clubs but far worse than that they (the Glazers) have actually extracted colossal sums from Manchester United," MUST said in a press release.
"When all interest and charges on their leveraged buyout is added up, plus money they've paid themselves, plus related debt still on the club, they've taken more than £1 BILLION and it's still rising.
"No owner in the history of football in any country, ever, has taken so much money from a club."

Manchester United signings made in the Glazer years

Despite the controversy surrounding the Glazers, United have enjoyed success on the pitch under their stewardship.

In the last 10 years they have won the Barclays Premier League five times and in 2008 they lifted the Champions League for the third time in the club's history.

MUST says had it not been for mismanagement from the Glazers, United would have eclipsed Liverpool's British record of winning the competition five times.

"When the Glazers took over in 2005 we already had an exciting young squad including Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney," the MUST statement added.
"With continued investment that squad should have gone on to dominate Europe for years but the Glazer era squandered that golden chance and although still successful on the pitch it has to go down, in Europe in particular, as a decade of wasted opportunity.

"United should have knocked Liverpool off their European perch too by surpassing their five European Cups.
"It seems very likely we would have done had it not been for financial austerity imposed by the Glazers' ownership."

MUST said the Glazers had "botched" the appointment of Sir Alex Ferguson's successor and that of chief executive David Gill.
The fans' group did admit its relationship with the club had improved over the last two years, though.

"Despite the huge damage inflicted over the last 10 years things are undoubtedly beginning to look positive again in 2015," MUST said.

"Relations between fans and the senior management team have improved vastly in the last two years with genuine dialogue and regular meetings established.

"The costs of servicing the remaining debt are now down to manageable levels and Manchester United is climbing back to the position of financial superiority it occupied for nine years prior to the Glazers arrival.

"It's just a shame we had to go through all the pain and waste of the last decade simply to allow a family with no connection to Manchester United to enrich themselves at the expense of our club and fans."
Manchester United refused to comment on MUST's statement.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Sometimes the grass isn't greener. 50/50 chance of getting worse owners who don't spend a penny. The Glazers don't manage the club. They are quiet shareholders who let the rest of the board and management team run the club.
Let's say we do sell for 4 billion and because it's so sizeable they bolt 2 billion in debt onto the balance sheet.
Honestly the way our fans whimper about owners and spending may come back to haunt us if they do actually sell or float 100% of shares on the NYSE.

Luke1995

I'm sure that if Beckham, the Neville brothers, Giggs, Scholes and Nicky Butt put their money together, it would be enough to buy the club.

RedCurry

Someone would have to buy the club and they sell.

Looks extremely unlikely. 4 billion plus would be needed.
The valuation of the club will take a massive hit if we miss CL for another season. It looks pretty set in stone at this point. If say, by Dec-Feb, we are all but destined to finish out of top four and out of Europa league as well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Glazers start discussions of sale.

Valuation will only plummet more, the longer we stay out of CL.

We're also not at the $4B valuation people falsely think we're at. Current market valuation of Man Utd is about 2.85B. This could get to sub 2.5B if we are definitely out of CL for next season. To gain controlling interest in the club someone would need majority shares. Even thinking aggressively 75% ownership would be enough to essentially replace the Glazers completely. 75% of 2.5BUSD is $1.9B or 1.6B GBP. Even if Glazers demand massive premium on that, by no means is that figure only something "Arabs and Chinese" can afford.

George The Best

Glazer family have 'drained £1billion from Manchester United' and cost club chance of 'dominating Europe'
Supporters' group hits out at owners 10 years after takeover at Old Trafford

Click to follow
Sport

The Glazer family has been accused of draining £1billion from Manchester United and wrecking the club's chances of dominating Europe.

The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) chose the 10-year anniversary of the Glazers' takeover to launch a fresh attack on the American family.

The Glazers' £790million leveraged buyout of United in 2005 caused uproar among the club's fans and sparked the creation of breakaway club FC United.

Ten years on, MUST is still unhappy about the way the family borrowed against the club to finance their takeover.
"Not investing a single penny might be considered an 'ownership crime' by fans at most clubs but far worse than that they (the Glazers) have actually extracted colossal sums from Manchester United," MUST said in a press release.
"When all interest and charges on their leveraged buyout is added up, plus money they've paid themselves, plus related debt still on the club, they've taken more than £1 BILLION and it's still rising.
"No owner in the history of football in any country, ever, has taken so much money from a club."

Manchester United signings made in the Glazer years

Despite the controversy surrounding the Glazers, United have enjoyed success on the pitch under their stewardship.

In the last 10 years they have won the Barclays Premier League five times and in 2008 they lifted the Champions League for the third time in the club's history.

MUST says had it not been for mismanagement from the Glazers, United would have eclipsed Liverpool's British record of winning the competition five times.

"When the Glazers took over in 2005 we already had an exciting young squad including Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney," the MUST statement added.
"With continued investment that squad should have gone on to dominate Europe for years but the Glazer era squandered that golden chance and although still successful on the pitch it has to go down, in Europe in particular, as a decade of wasted opportunity.

"United should have knocked Liverpool off their European perch too by surpassing their five European Cups.
"It seems very likely we would have done had it not been for financial austerity imposed by the Glazers' ownership."

MUST said the Glazers had "botched" the appointment of Sir Alex Ferguson's successor and that of chief executive David Gill.
The fans' group did admit its relationship with the club had improved over the last two years, though.

"Despite the huge damage inflicted over the last 10 years things are undoubtedly beginning to look positive again in 2015," MUST said.

"Relations between fans and the senior management team have improved vastly in the last two years with genuine dialogue and regular meetings established.

"The costs of servicing the remaining debt are now down to manageable levels and Manchester United is climbing back to the position of financial superiority it occupied for nine years prior to the Glazers arrival.

"It's just a shame we had to go through all the pain and waste of the last decade simply to allow a family with no connection to Manchester United to enrich themselves at the expense of our club and fans."
Manchester United refused to comment on MUST's statement.
So the 1bn is interest payments, plus dividend payments, plus the value of debt still on the clubs books. That’s a bit misleading imo. Interest payments are around £20m a year or so, easily affordable from the clubs revenues. We’ve paid in total less than £80m in dividends, I believe, since they took over - not all to themselves of course. In truth they’ve taken out far less, for themselves, than you would expect anybody buying them out for £4bn would do.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We build a trust. Every fan contributes minimum $10 per membership and we should have about $5 bn to buy the club. Who is in?
It would be easy to laugh this off, but it would be fascinating to see a campaign around something like this and see how much could actually be raised. Maybe not 10 quid a piece from an alleged "500m fanbase". But could still be considerable. It would need some super relatable trustworthy and recognisable figures leading the effort though. (Imagine Sir Alex :drool:)

I like this idea, got to say.

Also: Thanks for this thread.

Esquire

Only chance is some oil rich Arab or a Chinese billionaire. Problem is many of our fans don't want either and it's 50/50 where either would pass the Premier's Fit and Proper test for owners.
Why would a Saudi or Chinese owner not pass the test? You are assuming all Saudi or Chinese candidates are inherently unfit. Sounds pretty biased.

Water Melon

I'd happily contribute 100 quid, if a collective attempt at buying the club out from Glazers was made. As for hitting them immediately, start anti Glazer chants before kick-off, at HT and once the game is over. We can still support the team while the ball is in play. 70+ thousand fans belting out negative chants will not go unnoticed. Everyone will see it, the owners, the Board, the sponsors.

NYAS

It’s the beginning of the end for them. The club is heavily leveraged with a non constructive debt. It’s not a problem now, but miss the CL this season and the Adidas deal drops by 30m a year. Plus the 40-60m a season from CL participation. Other sponsors start to follow suit and scale back investment for a non CL club. The next shirt deal is then worth less than the current. Now requires massive investment to get the club back to the top....Once the cycle starts, the club is so rotten, it’ll spiral out of control. All the whole the stadium will continue to fall apart, and United will get eclipsed by City and Liverpool in revenue.

That can all honestly happen within 5 years. Just look at the trends. The longer the Glazers hold the asset now, the bigger risk I think it is.

A buyer should target each inbred Glazer child individually. I’m fairly sure a couple of the kids want out. Need to sow discord amongst these dirty Yanks and smash their strangle hold on the club. fecking cnuts. The lot of them.

In the short term, the fans have to actually stand up and be counted. We need organised demonstrations. We need to make Woodward and the Glazers feel unwelcome in their own stadium. Make the LUHG brand bigger than the club. The global fan base will lap it up, because they all want to belong to something. That’s why they support united in the first place.
The language in this post is disgusting.

Honestly shocked that the post is still up and there’s no warning on top of it, while we see warnings on top of posts where there’s an “insult to another poster”.

Inbred Glazer childs and dirty Yanks. Brilliant.

SaintMuppet

We build a trust. Every fan contributes minimum $10 per membership and we should have about $5 bn to buy the club. Who is in?
I’m in right upto the point I leg it to some island somewhere with a shed ton of gold bullion and a good plastic surgeon......

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s the beginning of the end for them. The club is heavily leveraged with a non constructive debt. It’s not a problem now, but miss the CL this season and the Adidas deal drops by 30m a year. Plus the 40-60m a season from CL participation. Other sponsors start to follow suit and scale back investment for a non CL club. The next shirt deal is then worth less than the current. Now requires massive investment to get the club back to the top....Once the cycle starts, the club is so rotten, it’ll spiral out of control. All the whole the stadium will continue to fall apart, and United will get eclipsed by City and Liverpool in revenue.

That can all honestly happen within 5 years. Just look at the trends. The longer the Glazers hold the asset now, the bigger risk I think it is.

A buyer should target each inbred Glazer child individually. I’m fairly sure a couple of the kids want out. Need to sow discord amongst these dirty Yanks and smash their strangle hold on the club. fecking cnuts. The lot of them.

In the short term, the fans have to actually stand up and be counted. We need organised demonstrations. We need to make Woodward and the Glazers feel unwelcome in their own stadium. Make the LUHG brand bigger than the club. The global fan base will lap it up, because they all want to belong to something. That’s why they support united in the first place.
Global fans base supports glazerout?

I want what you're smoking.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Global fans base supports glazerout?

I want what you're smoking.
I didn't say they did support it, I said they would support it if it was organised and branded effectively. It's about being effective, and that requires an organised, cynical approach.

El-Manos

I already bought the new home jersey back in June, fair to say I didn’t contribute :(

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The language in this post is disgusting.

Honestly shocked that the post is still up and there’s no warning on top of it, while we see warnings on top of posts where there’s an “insult to another poster”.

Inbred Glazer childs and dirty Yanks. Brilliant.
Calm down. Subjectively the Glazers do look inbred, in my opinion. And when I talked about the Glazer children, I was referring to Malcolm Glazers' children, who are all in their 50's and 60's. Not actual children. Furthermore, the term Yank is hardly a pejorative. More friendly banter. I'm married to a yank, I should know.

Irwin99

Visible mass protest (Green and Gold again but more sustained?) and boycotting of official merchandise. It could just be a little spark that creates a ripple effect. It would have to start at OT though, there's a massive difference between feeling frustrated on an internet forum and actually showing anger and discontent.

Something that's been underestimated perhaps by the Glazers and Ed is that the OT crowd won't turn on Ole. This is a different situation to Moyes, LVG and Jose. If it goes wrong this time there's no doubt as to where the blame goes.

Kemizee

The absolute state of this website right now hahaha!

Didn’t make 4,5,6 signings so we want the owners out and we’re gonna finish 7-10th

The hysteria. Jesus wept.

Imagine if you guys were Liverpool fans who have gone YEARS without winning anything or god forbid for some of you, your local league 1 or League 2 teams. I don’t think you would be able to handle it!
You can feck right off with pretentious nonsense like this!!! No one is proposing that we must make 7 signings so the fan-base can be kept happy. All some are saying is that the supposed biggest club in the world have some glaring deficiencies to fix and the owners seem oblivious to them. For instance, the right wing has been neglected for years and we are one Pogba injury away from having an egregiously laughable midfield.

People have every right to be concerned about the direction the club has been going for years. Seems the Glazers are just content with 4th yearly and Champions league money. How do I know this? No team who prides itself as the biggest in the world in the world's richest league finishes 2nd with a wide gap to 1st and then proceed to add only Fred and Dalot. Is that really ambitious in your eyes? I bet you if we had signed a RW and CM to boot with our AWB, Maguire and James, people would be more optimistic going into the new season.

Instead the club waited till 3 days to the transfer for white goose chases in Dybala and Eriksen who I am definitely sure were not on our initial targets list. What was the plan before both surfaced?

I am tired of some who hush others not to speak up in the midst of the malaise we face currently because they are 'embarrasing and entitled'. We are all fans and want the best for the club. You are not better than those who are worried or moan about where we have been headed as a club for six years!!!

ManchesterYoda

Net spend since Ferguson retired

Total (2013-present day)
City: £760.08 million
United: £641.04 million

Net spend since Guardiola took over at City

Total (2016-present day)
City: £474.12 million
United: £393.22 million

So, if our net spend was £100 million more since Ferguson retired, we'd be getting 100 points too, right?

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
This is the problem with calling to action: everyone has different ideas of what should be done, from crowdfunding to nasty chants to "stop the negativity and support, but blame the manager".

I think that getting a rich businessman from Saudi Arabia, China or whatever that wants to buy AND would care enough for the club to do what the fanbase think that it should be done and have them in their best interest, it's pretty much winning the club lottery. How many of you play lottery anyway?

The facts are: The fanbase is only powerful when organized as a whole, and the club's value is likely to decrease as long as it is run by the same people with the same ideas but relatively worse sport (and commercial) results. In that case the best course of action would be taking baby steps in order to organize the fanbase, with the long term goal of buying a significant part of the club.

That approach starts with crowdfunding and making your voice heard by the people you need it to. Let's start with locating the people who is able to put their money where their mouth is. It's not necessary to get a lot of money, as long as it keeps flowing increasingly. Save some in order to slowly buy shares. Use the rest to make your message heard, making #GlazersOut United t-shirts, I don't know (I would be surprised if there isn't someone already profiting from this). This should be growing slowly but constantly, and eventually the fanbase will have power and the owners would want (or need) to sale.

Well there's that, or the club lottery anyway. It's a lot cheaper though.

Kemizee

Woodward may not be everyones cup of tea but doing this is just deplorable, bullying him won’t solve anything.

It’s clear Ole is working with Woodward on players who he wants and not superstar signings that we’ve tried to sign and either get and fail or fail to get them.

I’m glad United don’t want these superstar signings who *dont want to play for the club* and would rather play for money.

About everyone got their agendas straight and support the club instead of bashing it because you didn’t get a shiny new toy
This keeps being thrown around quite often here and I am starting to really wonder what the hell it means.

Let me ask; Did Rodri and Cancelo join Man City because they wanted to play for the shirt? How about Ndombele at Spurs? Did Aguero and D.Silva join city cos of the shirt ? But they have been committed, professional and won them loads while still being paid handsomely. The reality is that they joined those clubs because they are ambitious and they wanna be successful same way Maguire and AWB joined us because they saw our club as an upgrade on their current options. Will AWB and Maguire be playing for us for free if I may ask? And why do we have the 2nd or 3rd biggest wage bill in the world if we are really honest about getting only 'players for the shirt'? It's hypocritical and an attempt to deflect transfer failures. I know rare cases like Di Maria exist but that shouldn't be the ultimate yardstick of saying no to proper, world class players. 98% of Footballers all wanna do a job, join a club that is ambitious and make money in the process? What's difficult to understand about this?

This 'wanna play for the shirt' garbage is nothing but a PR stunt from Ed and Co. to mask their inability to get us the quality players we need. And that is why we are in the position we are in as a football club. The Glazers crew have brainwashed most and made them stupidly attuned to romance with the past and producing the 'impossible dream' of 11 young, hungry, passionate youth academy stars who all wanna play for the shirt and guess the consequences? We will continue to be left behind while serious, ambitious clubs get the best players available and sprinkle a youth or two here and there when necessary and keep winning the major trophies.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Pughnichi

Selling is dangerous. Their replacement could be worse.

Ideally fans stop going but that’s unbelievably difficult to achieve.

Best way would be start a campaign “if they’re still here” for 22/23 season. Gives you time to sort your pitch out and how best to reach out to convince current season ticket holders why they shouldn’t renew. Then you hope and target those in waiting.

Good luck. Let’s us know you get on

George The Best

There’s virtually nothing the fan base can do to drive them out imo. I’m not sure that’s the right solution anyway, who knows what happens if they’re forced to hand the keys to OT over? Who takes control next? Who has the money? How much income would they want to achieve from £4bn plus investment?

It might be better to focus on a more achievable target imo. Here’s my take:

The Glazers are not bad owners, ‘bad’ in the sense they are bleeding the club dry for personal gain. They simply haven’t taken very much out of the club for their own benefit - dividend payments since they took over are extraordinarily low. They have also allowed the club to spend huge sums in the transfer market and on wages. Having said that, they are not good owners either, since they have no idea of how to run an EPL football club and have entrusted the management of football affairs to an equally incompetent investment banker.

Ed is great with the commercial affairs but should be nowhere near football related decision making. In a perfect world I would like to see the appointment of a Director of Football, on an even footing with Ed, given the same joint title as Ed (Exec Vice-Chairman, Chief Exec) reporting directly into the owners so that any power of veto on football related matters is removed from Ed.

A strong campaign creating public, and Glazer, awareness of this would stand a much better chance of success than a campaign to remove the Glazers. It would also be much more beneficial to the club in the short term rather than waiting around for a sugar daddy to buy us sometime never.

M Bison

Supports
York City
:lol: This thread.

Has anyone ever seen American office where Dunder Mifflin has to be saved in 45 days?

“Ok let’s work backwards, day 45 company saved, day 44 what have we got...”

Ridiculous :lol::lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Every serious supporter around the world pays 1000 dollars each. Done.

All transfers come out of profits.

Nori-

Only two viable ways.

1. Someone comes in and pays their asking price for the club.
2. We win nothing for years, the clubs status goes down a few levels, sponsors jump ship....then the Glazers decide to cash in while they can with a lower asking price

Hopefully its option 1 because option 2 would set us back a decade

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
This keeps being thrown around quite often here and I am starting to really wonder what the hell it means.

Let me ask; Did Rodri and Cancelo join Man City because they wanted to play for the shirt? How about Ndombele at Spurs? Did Aguero and D.Silva join city cos of the shirt ? But they have been committed, professional and won them loads while still being paid handsomely. The reality is that they joined those clubs because they are ambitious and they wanna be successful same way Maguire and AWB joined us because they saw our club as an upgrade on their current options. Will AWB and Maguire be playing for us for free if I may ask? And why do we have the 2nd or 3rd biggest wage bill in the world if we are really honest about getting only 'players for the shirt'? It's hypocritical and an attempt to deflect transfer failures. I know rare cases like Di Maria exist but that shouldn't be the ultimate yardstick of saying no to proper, world class players. 98% of Footballers all wanna do a job, join a club that is ambitious and make money in the process? What's difficult to understand about this?

This 'wanna play for the shirt' garbage is nothing but a PR stunt from Ed and Co. to mask their inability to get us the quality players we need. And that is why we are in the position we are in as a football club. The Glazers crew have brainwashed most and made them stupidly attuned to romance with the past and producing the 'impossible dream' of 11 young, hungry, passionate youth academy stars who all wanna play for the shirt and guess the consequences? We will continue to be left behind while serious, ambitious clubs get the best players available and sprinkle a youth or two here and there when necessary and keep winning the major trophies.
I agree with your first paragraph completely.

The second is a bit off, especially as United is not the only club who speaks about wanting players who want to be here. It's a common line used by managers and club directors. Most often to explain low activity in a transfer-window, but also to make people understand that they aren't going to sign anyone just because they are available and there is a need in that position.
It's in line with "we'll take a game at a time", a nothing statement that isn't supposed to mean much more than that the club is trying to keep it's priorities in order, like all clubs want to.

Foxbatt

Spot on Kemizee. Too often this has been said about United. No one is asking for 7 or 8 players. All we are asking is that we buy the right players to win trophies. Our midfield has been pathetic for such a long time yet Woodward has still not bought anyone. We could have sold, Matic, Mata and Darmian and Young and Jones and Rojo instead of giving them an extension and bought at least two midfield players and a world class striker. That is 6 players off the books. We have sold Lukaku and got Maquire and that is only 5 million net spend on Maguire. We have not spend much this window and it would have been less than 100 for sure on the net spend.