How to get Glazers out of Manchester United

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Surely with the while six degrees of separation theory one of us has access to Tim Cook or Jeff Bezos? Just convince them to buy the club. And then buy City and demolish it

BlueHaze

Calm down. Subjectively the Glazers do look inbred, in my opinion. And when I talked about the Glazer children, I was referring to Malcolm Glazers' children, who are all in their 50's and 60's. Not actual children. Furthermore, the term Yank is hardly a pejorative. More friendly banter. I'm married to a yank, I should know.
:lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Surely with the while six degrees of separation theory one of us has access to Tim Cook or Jeff Bezos? Just convince them to buy the club. And then buy City and demolish it
I don't think that buying a football team is a great business, and there is a high chance that money in football is going to saturate soon. Glazers are taking 20m in dividends (well, some goes to other owners), and that is simply too low for a business that costs 4b. By dividend alone, you need 200 years to return the investment. Obviously, the big money is on the value of the club, but we can hardly expect it to increase much more than 4b, right?

If I was a billionaire, I wouldn't even consider buying United. There are hundreds of better businesses right there.

United makes sense to be bought only from Saudi Arabia, and to used as a propaganda tool. For a businessman who is interested in profit, it is a very bad investment.

Greck

People think a private investor will sink 80-90% of the value of their entire worth to buy a football club while, wait for it, not expecting a return on their investment. They will get that money back if they have to drain our transfer budget 250mil annually for the next 20 years. It's an investment not a charity donation

Halftrack

I can write letters to the Norwegian government, urging them to use some of that sweet Government Pension Fund money to buy United. There's £875bn in it, that should enough to buy United and bring in a couple of players.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I didn't say they did support it, I said they would support it if it was organised and branded effectively. It's about being effective, and that requires an organised, cynical approach.
I think you really overrate global fans logic of thinking.

Off course there'll be the odd one that reads the caf like me and probably several other.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Spot on Kemizee. Too often this has been said about United. No one is asking for 7 or 8 players. All we are asking is that we buy the right players to win trophies. Our midfield has been pathetic for such a long time yet Woodward has still not bought anyone. We could have sold, Matic, Mata and Darmian and Young and Jones and Rojo instead of giving them an extension and bought at least two midfield players and a world class striker. That is 6 players off the books. We have sold Lukaku and got Maquire and that is only 5 million net spend on Maguire. We have not spend much this window and it would have been less than 100 for sure on the net spend.
The owner has done their dues sanctioning hundreds of millions in the last 5 year for player purchase.

Their only flaw is that they backed the wrong manager. Something which every owner has done in the past.

Our fans seems to think that the next owner would magically appoint the next saf, the next gill, buying the next messi, dug his pocket out and injects 300m every year (something we can't afford on our own. Yes we have a revenue of 400m but that's before paying the bills and wages. Our expendable net profit probably lies around 50m). It isnt realistic

meamth

I don't think forums can find solutions for a multi billions worth of problems.

It's not that simple. All we can do here in this thread is just saying stuffs that won't happen. Let's just move on shall we?

Whatever the hell Glazers want to do with the club, they can do whatever they want, they own it. We can only protest and wait until something happens..

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I've started saving up to buy United. If people chip in you can have a share.
Send money to this address.

marukomu
Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama
P.M.B. 406 Garki
Abuja-FCT, Nigeria

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Simply talk to every United fan you know, better in person but online can make a difference. Refuse to buy any merchandise, if your mate does don't have a go but explain maybe why they shouldn't going forward. It's talking about it, if a boycott United merchandise took on I can guarantee it would be picked up upon by them. Much more than unsubscribing to a you tube channel or club app.
Stop buying merchandise would hit the revenue but the impact might be too small to notice and we might never get there. If we create a viral campaign targeting brands who are our major sponsors (Adidas, Chevron) with hundreds of thousands of fans participating these brands will take notice, they will put pressure on the owner.
Remember the ice bucket challenge? Something like that but carry the message of “We wont buy any brand that sponsor United until the glazers is out”

POF

Glazers happy IF shareholders happy IF income statements happy IF sponsors happy IF fans keep watching their ads

This is the chain of command in a public company like Uniteds. To hit the Glazers hard you need to hurt one of those pillars. As fans, we only really have ‘control’ over one of those and it’s the one where we keep tuning in.

Love it or hate it - united fans will keep tuning in. You can’t look away from a train crash and you can’t look away from false hope.

Sponsors will keep giving Ed the money if they keep seeing the reach Ed presents with the club.

It would have to take a seismic action of some sort by fans to make sponsors want to pull out of their brand deals with us. I just can’t see that actually happening.

For the Glazers this is the most profitable period imaginable right now - they bought on the cheap and are now reaping the benefits of massive TV deals along with a fiscally responsible CEO in Ed. That’s why they keep giving him bonuses.

They have no need to sell.
In what way is he fiscally responsible? United have spent almost £700m under Moyes, LVG and Jose and there are arguably only 5 or 6 of those players in the current first choice 11.

Not to mention the bloated wage bill with players who hardly play raking in huge weekly salaries.

There is this bizarre obsession where United fans think that the Glazers think it's fantastic if the club runs into the ground and loses its value. They have spent huge money trying to rebuild the playing squad. They have just spent it really poorly. The will is there but the ability and knowledge is not.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
The owner has done their dues sanctioning hundreds of millions in the last 5 year for player purchase.

Their only flaw is that they backed the wrong manager. Something which every owner has done in the past.

Our fans seems to think that the next owner would magically appoint the next saf, the next gill, buying the next messi, dug his pocket out and injects 300m every year (something we can't afford on our own. Yes we have a revenue of 400m but that's before paying the bills and wages. Our expendable net profit probably lies around 50m). It isnt realistic
They should have people who is well connected and well respected in the footballing world to run the football side of things. Just look at city and how they run that club.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
The biggest problem now is as fans we are divided on whether the issue lies in the Glazers or not. Can a mod creat a poll on who would like the Glazers out and who don’t?

Reynoldo

Wasn’t Jim Ratcliffe rumoured to be interested in buying also? Seems to be the only known potential buyers apart from the Saudi’s, of course you always can’t rule out a “chinese consortium”

Sereques

This keeps being thrown around quite often here and I am starting to really wonder what the hell it means.

Let me ask; Did Rodri and Cancelo join Man City because they wanted to play for the shirt? How about Ndombele at Spurs? Did Aguero and D.Silva join city cos of the shirt ? But they have been committed, professional and won them loads while still being paid handsomely. The reality is that they joined those clubs because they are ambitious and they wanna be successful same way Maguire and AWB joined us because they saw our club as an upgrade on their current options. Will AWB and Maguire be playing for us for free if I may ask? And why do we have the 2nd or 3rd biggest wage bill in the world if we are really honest about getting only 'players for the shirt'? It's hypocritical and an attempt to deflect transfer failures. I know rare cases like Di Maria exist but that shouldn't be the ultimate yardstick of saying no to proper, world class players. 98% of Footballers all wanna do a job, join a club that is ambitious and make money in the process? What's difficult to understand about this?

This 'wanna play for the shirt' garbage is nothing but a PR stunt from Ed and Co. to mask their inability to get us the quality players we need. And that is why we are in the position we are in as a football club. The Glazers crew have brainwashed most and made them stupidly attuned to romance with the past and producing the 'impossible dream' of 11 young, hungry, passionate youth academy stars who all wanna play for the shirt and guess the consequences? We will continue to be left behind while serious, ambitious clubs get the best players available and sprinkle a youth or two here and there when necessary and keep winning the major trophies.
There are facts to back it up, it’s not a PR stunt. We’ve spent more than Liverpool since 2015 to date. Liverpool have won the champions league and very close to premier league on the other hand, we have regress and become worse than Liverpool. How do you explain that? We’re obviously buying the wrong players.

Rodri or whatever name you have in there might not be desperate to play for City or Spurs but they’re not reluctant to play for them. Take Dybala for example, he doesn’t want to leave Juventus even though they were forcing him out. What was the message from him? I don’t want to leave Italy but if you pay me a lot of money, I will come. Wtf is that?

Anyway, the thread is not about transfers, it’s about ideas on how to get the Glazers out.

Timwilb

The only way the Glazers will go is if it is in their collective interests. They cannot be forced because of the share structure and voting rights. They are not interested in the club only in extracting a regular income from it or leveraging against it. All this we know.

Personally I don't think investment in players is a measure of anything. There are a few on here claiming otherwise, but the Glazers have not invested a single penny. All they have done is allowed some of the revenue generated by the club - read the fans - to be redirected. And often very unwisely at that.

The real measure of their failure is the fact that they have allowed other clubs to overtake despite two decades of domestic dominance. There was no foresight, no investment in the long term and we only have to look across the city to realise the limitations of their vision. Let's not get into the poor state of OT.

I am not a season ticket holder but was a regular match day goer. This year I've let my membership and my kids membership lapse. I won't attend a game and won't pay any money to Glazer FC. I have invested in MUST from the outset but also am not naive enough to expect anything from this.

It just saddens me that our fantastic club has been taken over in this way. That said, if it was sold to Middle Eastern / Oligarc money I would turn my back for good. I love football but not at the expense of my personal and political ethics. Something that those on the other side are happy to ignore.

Anyway, off to support the women at the Emptihad.

Reactions: Sultan

Micky Targaryen

I've started saving up to buy United. If people chip in you can have a share.
Send money to this address.

marukomu
Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama
P.M.B. 406 Garki
Abuja-FCT, Nigeria
The only logical post in this thread.

Ps: I've couriered some of my lunch money to you. Look out for my pigeon.

Sereques

The absolute state of this website right now hahaha!

Didn’t make 4,5,6 signings so we want the owners out and we’re gonna finish 7-10th

The hysteria. Jesus wept.

Imagine if you guys were Liverpool fans who have gone YEARS without winning anything or god forbid for some of you, your local league 1 or League 2 teams. I don’t think you would be able to handle it!
I started the thread and I was very much happy with the transfers, I never expected wholesale changes and I know we’re on the right track in rebuilding. This is not about transfers because I know we’ve spent so much but Glazers are bad for the club even if we win domestic treble this season, they still have to go. Manchester United is self sustainable and can easily compete against the sugar daddy clubs.

I want the club to be respected again, I want top players wishing they play for Manchester United and if they’re not interested, they respectfully tell us and not the comedy we experience with Harzard and Moura. I’m tired of media making us a laughing stock.

The season predictions came in and we have people predicting Everton and Wolves will finish above Manchester United. You can’t even argue because somewhere in your head something tells you it may happen. During the days O’Shea was playing midfield, no one was bold enough to predict Manchester United will finish outside top 3. All of these boils down to the Glazers effect.

If Ferguson was not in charge when the Glazers took over, I can assure you Manchester United will be a bottom half club by now. We cannot have a club hoping for a genius manager all the time. Average managers should be able to manage the club and still finish top 4. Several years of underinvestment led us to this. If it wasn’t for the Glazers, Fergie won’t try to find cheap options for the defense. He would have gotten a top class defender in there before leaving and not those jokers Smalling & Jones. He would have gotten hummels, Harzard, Moura, the idiot Moyes might not have struggled. The club would have had options in place if Ferguson should retire, maybe we wouldn’t have gotten Moyes. I can go on all day how much they’ve set us back.

I gave them thumbs up on how they manage to turn us to commercial giants but the debt is very limiting. I have debt too and I know how much limitations it place on my family. I’m working extra hours to pay it off, I can’t even have any fun because the debt comes to mind first. The same thing is happening to Manchester United, the debt create limitations. So please don’t tell me it’s about Bruno or Dybala, I don’t even like those players.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I started the thread and I was very much happy with the transfers, I never expected wholesale changes and I know we’re on the right track in rebuilding. This is not about transfers because I know we’ve spent so much but Glazers are bad for the club even if we win domestic treble this season, they still have to go. Manchester United is self sustainable and can easily compete against the sugar daddy clubs.

I want the club to be respected again, I want top players wishing they play for Manchester United and if they’re not interested, they respectfully tell us and not the comedy we experience with Harzard and Moura. I’m tired of media making us a laughing stock.

The season predictions came in and we have people predicting Everton and Wolves will finish above Manchester United. You can’t even argue because somewhere in your head something tells you it may happen. During the days O’Shea was playing midfield, no one was bold enough to predict Manchester United will finish outside top 3. All of these boils down to the Glazers effect.

If Ferguson was not in charge when the Glazers took over, I can assure you Manchester United will be a bottom half club by now. We cannot have a club hoping for a genius manager all the time. Average managers should be able to manage the club and still finish top 4. Several years of underinvestment led us to this. If it wasn’t for the Glazers, Fergie won’t try to find cheap options for the defense. He would have gotten a top class defender in there before leaving and not those jokers Smalling & Jones. He would have gotten hummels, Harzard, Moura, the idiot Moyes might not have struggled. The club would have had options in place if Ferguson should retire, maybe we wouldn’t have gotten Moyes. I can go on all day how much they’ve set us back.

I gave them thumbs up on how they manage to turn us to commercial giants but the debt is very limiting. I have debt too and I know how much limitations it place on my family. I’m working extra hours to pay it off, I can’t even have any fun because the debt comes to mind first. The same thing is happening to Manchester United, the debt create limitations. So please don’t tell me it’s about Bruno or Dybala, I don’t even like those players.
If ferguson wasnt in charge. We're still bottom even under plc.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
United makes sense to be bought only from Saudi Arabia, and to used as a propaganda tool. For a businessman who is interested in profit, it is a very bad investment.
Agreed.

If we're talking about somewhat realistic prospective buyers, and furthermore buyers who would invest considerably more than the current owners on the football side *, I'd say it's very likely a case of "Glazers out" meaning "Saudis in".

* How much that might actually be in terms of anything subject to FFP regulations is another question - they could certainly invest heavily, relatively speaking, in things like stadium improvements, other infrastructural aspects, etc. But to state the obvious, City haven't gotten to where they are simply because their oil rich owners have invested a lot of money - but also because they've positively cheated the system. So, that too is a factor to consider for those who are looking for new owners to come in and "save" United by splashing cash the Glazers are unwilling to.

ManchesterYoda

In what way is he fiscally responsible? United have spent almost £700m under Moyes, LVG and Jose and there are arguably only 5 or 6 of those players in the current first choice 11.

Not to mention the bloated wage bill with players who hardly play raking in huge weekly salaries.

There is this bizarre obsession where United fans think that the Glazers think it's fantastic if the club runs into the ground and loses its value. They have spent huge money trying to rebuild the playing squad. They have just spent it really poorly. The will is there but the ability and knowledge is not.
The Glazers have given the managers the money to spend. It is the managers who have spent it poorly, not the Glazers. On the commercial side, off the pitch, Glazers and Woodward have been doing their job. It is on the pitch where our problems are and that is the fault of the managers we've had since Ferguson retired. I don't understand why people still blame the Glazers and Woodward because they aren't the problem. They don't choose the team, they don't choose which players to sign, they don't choose the tactics, they don't coach the players. The manager does that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't understand why people still blame the Glazers and Woodward because they aren't the problem.
The owners have spent the kind of money which normally (statistically, you could say) brings success. Not 4th place trophies (we're not nailing those on a regular basis either, I might add) - but actual success. This is especially true if you look at the money spent on wages under their ownership.

However, that does not mean Ed and/or the Glazers ain't the problem. If I (Ed) run a restaurant that is increasingly gaining a reputation for serving shite food, I can't keep saying "it's not my fault, it's the bloody chef" without people asking questions. Same thing if I (Joel - or Avram) own the place. The obvious conclusion is that I'm doing something wrong no matter how you spin it. Successful management usually involves hiring the right people. If you continue to feck up in that regard...well! Change your approach, change the structure of the operation, etc.

But, yeah - you're right: the money spent isn't the problem. They've spent enough to make us competitive based on normal standards in football. And some people blatantly ignore this fact, opting for various forms of special pleading in order to downplay the cold, hard numbers in favour of arguments involving guessing at the owners' true intentions.

GoldanoGraham

The Glazers have given the managers the money to spend. It is the managers who have spent it poorly, not the Glazers. On the commercial side, off the pitch, Glazers and Woodward have been doing their job. It is on the pitch where our problems are and that is the fault of the managers we've had since Ferguson retired. I don't understand why people still blame the Glazers and Woodward because they aren't the problem. They don't choose the team, they don't choose which players to sign, they don't choose the tactics, they don't coach the players. The manager does that.
The problem is in the structure of the management.

There is a layer missing - the one that sits beneath the commercial and ownership side of the business and the team. The layer that is knowledgeable of football and having a footprint for the future of the club - the manager should follow this footprint/strategy and the commercial board should fund this.

With this missing we have been spunking big cash on poor investments or investments that are not suitable. Every time we change manager we go in a different direction and the n some of those investments are no longer needed but we have them signed up on lucrative contracts that we can’t easily get rid of.

Everyone knows that we need a DoF but the structure may be more. We have to move away from Ed being the focus of signings - a team with his approval that k is what they are doing with the agreement of the team manager would enable us to buy and sell well.

When it comes to transfers, we have been woefully exposed in the last few years as quite inept and erratic.

Let’s hope finally we are changing that.

Steve Bruce

Their here to stay folks. I can't stand them but it is what it is.

We can only hope they themselves hit financial issues and they have to release a big chunk of shares to pull them out of a hole and over time they gradually relinquish control of what they have left.

Tiber

Win the lottery over and over again until you have several billion dollars

cyril C

We build a trust. Every fan contributes minimum $10 per membership and we should have about $5 bn to buy the club. Who is in?
How many fans in Britain or in the world? You will need contribution of $100 for 10m fan to collect 1B. Put that down as deposit and borrow 4b from the bank, make it 5B because of the new stadium. Raise season ticket to $2000 and replica shirt to $1000, that is how to raise revenue. Sell all our expensive players and feature purely academy players, that is how to cut cost. After 5-10 seasons we should be able to get rid of all our loan....

owlo

Convince Jeff Bezos that Trump hates us and is directing the Glazers to drown us for kicks.

...About as realistic as every other option on here.

Marcus

A very hard Brexit might do it actually. So just wait till October 2019.

Investors hate uncertainty and risk.

POF

The Glazers and Woodward deserve criticism. They have failed to modernise the structure of the club and don't have long term qualified senior management that are responsible for building and maintaining the playing squad.

They have no long term strategy or playing philosophy and allow the managers to identify potential signings. Ole is now the 4th consecutive manager charged with a "squad rebuild" despite almost £700m spent by his predecessors.

The lack of care and attention given to the playing squad (the most important assets in the business) is borderline negligent and has cost the club (and therefore the Glazers) an absolute fortune through mismanagement.

There is nothing fiscally responsible about how United is currently run.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How many fans in Britain or in the world? You will need contribution of $100 for 10m fan to collect 1B. Put that down as deposit and borrow 4b from the bank, make it 5B because of the new stadium. Raise season ticket to $2000 and replica shirt to $1000, that is how to raise revenue. Sell all our expensive players and feature purely academy players, that is how to cut cost. After 5-10 seasons we should be able to get rid of all our loan....
What do i get in return? Divident? Executive box? Salary? Free ticket?

Sil

Someone would have to buy the club and they sell.

Looks extremely unlikely. 4 billion plus would be needed.
There is another option- how about if some of our millionaire ex players and managers put their hands in their pockets, any shortfall could be made up by selling shares to the fans??

ManchesterYoda

The owners have spent the kind of money which normally (statistically, you could say) brings success. Not 4th place trophies (we're not nailing those on a regular basis either, I might add) - but actual success. This is especially true if you look at the money spent on wages under their ownership.

However, that does not mean Ed and/or the Glazers ain't the problem. If I (Ed) run a restaurant that is increasingly gaining a reputation for serving shite food, I can't keep saying "it's not my fault, it's the bloody chef" without people asking questions. Same thing if I (Joel - or Avram) own the place. The obvious conclusion is that I'm doing something wrong no matter how you spin it. Successful management usually involves hiring the right people. If you continue to feck up in that regard...well! Change your approach, change the structure of the operation, etc.

But, yeah - you're right: the money spent isn't the problem. They've spent enough to make us competitive based on normal standards in football. And some people blatantly ignore this fact, opting for various forms of special pleading in order to downplay the cold, hard numbers in favour of arguments involving guessing at the owners' true intentions.
They aren't psychic. Are you claiming you knew, before the fact, it was the wrong decision to appoint Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
United fans can’t agree amongst themselves on anything so there’s no chance of a campaign of any sort being successful. Sorry but 50k fans protesting is small fry. You need the millions of fans worldwide committed to not buying merch or attending games. Just not gonna happen.

As for buying, even Britain’s richest man thinks the price is prohibitive. It’s just not going to happen.

Ironically the price could drop if the team becomes supershit. But guess what? Fans want it rebuilt to be superior again. So there’s a contradiction in beliefs right there

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They aren't psychic. Are you claiming you knew, before the fact, it was the wrong decision to appoint Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer?
No, I did not. But I'm an ordinary fan, I don't run one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Even I, though, could have told you that the transition from Moyes to LVG wasn't logical in terms of playing styles (philosophy, you know) - and that the subsequent transition from LVG to Mourinho was equally illogical.

What people are accusing the Glazers of is a failure to move on from the basic structure United have had since Fergie - a structure that leaves too much up to one individual (the manager). It's not a given that as the club owner you can't do anything beyond - basically - gambling on getting managerial appointments right. You can change your approach to recruitment: hire staff (managers and players) based on a long-term idea, and let someone other than the sitting manager uphold that idea (a DoF or a similar figure).

The transitions we've seen suggest zero long-term vision (at least up till now, we've yet to see how OGS works out) - you don't disagree with that?

ManchesterYoda

No, I did not. But I'm an ordinary fan, I don't run one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Even I, though, could have told you that the transition from Moyes to LVG wasn't logical in terms of playing styles (philosophy, you know) - and that the subsequent transition from LVG to Mourinho was equally illogical.

What people are accusing the Glazers of is a failure to move on from the basic structure United have had since Fergie - a structure that leaves too much up to one individual (the manager). It's not a given that as the club owner you can't do anything beyond - basically - gambling on getting managerial appointments right. You can change your approach to recruitment: hire staff (managers and players) based on a long-term idea, and let someone other than the sitting manager uphold that idea (a DoF or a similar figure).

The transitions we've seen suggest zero long-term vision (at least up till now, we've yet to see how OGS works out) - you don't disagree with that?
If by zero long-term vision you mean they basically say "get Champions League or else you're sacked" to each manager then I agree. I don't think that is a bad thing though because I don't want to give time to the wrong manager. The manager gets time to build a title winning team so long as they secure Champions League each season. I don't think that's unfair at all for the so called biggest club in the world.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
No billionaire will buy United for 5b and use it for business purposes, you can do much more with 5b with regards to returns, anyone willing to part with that much cash will be using it for reasons like City and PSG, front for their heinous acts, sportswashing etc.

Either put up with the leeches that are the Glazers, or be willing to be a front for some morally corrupt people.