Television How To... With John Wilson

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Anyone else seen this? It's a comedy docuseries produced by Nathan Fielder so if you like Nathan For You it's that kind of vibe.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10801534/

Essentially just a guy narrating How To's over clips mainly filmed in New York but often he ends up speaking to people and ending in odd scenarios. It's a bit Louis Theroux meets Nathan For You.

I've only seen the first episode but it's great so far.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Anyone else seen this? It's a comedy docuseries produced by Nathan Fielder so if you like Nathan For You it's that kind of vibe.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10801534/

Essentially just a guy narrating How To's over clips mainly filmed in New York but often he ends up speaking to people and ending in odd scenarios. It's a bit Louis Theroux meets Nathan For You.

I've only seen the first episode but it's great so far.
I loved Nathan For You. The one with a realtor selling a haunted house made me cry laughing. Cool, this seems well worth checking out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I loved Nathan For You. The one with a realtor selling a haunted house made me cry laughing. Cool, this seems well worth checking out.
The episode where he does the tax rebate up the mountain and then the gas station guy starts talking about drinking his nephew's piss had me tears :lol:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The episode where he does the tax rebate up the mountain and then the gas station guy starts talking about drinking his nephew's piss had me tears :lol:
That was brilliant! He's one of the driest comic creations I've seen on TV and, if it was on Netfliix or Prime, I reckon I'd watch it constantly. Might just have to seek it out through other means.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don’t think I’ve ever read such a glowing review of a TV show, only to end up with no fecking clue what it’s about.

The good news is: the first series of How to With John Wilson (Sunday, 9.35pm, BBC Two), one of the finest shows to come out of the US in years, finally drops this week.

What the first series of this show – and we’re still just on the first series, for now – achieves is something close to miraculous. It’s a complete modern reinvention of the visual essay form, something funny and profound and head-spinningly human, a glimpse of New York City from an angle it’s never been seen before, at grubby street level and round freakish little corners. Watch the first episode – and I am begging you to do so – and you see it transform before you over 27 short minutes: a staccato opening three-minute riff on the art of making small talk, accompanied with rapid-fire visual gags taken from hours of Wilson’s self-shot footage. And then – whoosh – you’re on a journey that takes in predator entrapment, the grief of an unhealed breakup, a travel agent’s divorce and an earnest party guy’s longing for something real. This is before we even go to the Mandela Effect conference or meet the guy obsessed with foreskins. There is no show like this on TV. Every episode is a masterpiece.
I’m definitely intrigued though. Will watch the first episode.

Has anyone watched this already?

HookedOnAPhelan

Don’t think I’ve ever read such a glowing review of a TV show, only to end up with no fecking clue what it’s about.

I’m definitely intrigued though. Will watch the first episode.

Has anyone watched this already?
I've heard of it, but never watched it. Nathan Fielder is apparently involved as a producer though, so not surprised that it seems weird as feck.

Edit: And watching that clip it seems really similar to Fielder's stuff. Doubt it's fake, I think we all just have to come to grips with the fact that Americans have become a very strange people, and watching them on their normal behavior is like going to the zoo.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

It's only a small sample size of his show but reminds me of Louis Theroux with how he shows the weird side of society.

neverdie

it's very good. it's in the nathan fielder genre of genre unto itself, and he did produce it, but theroux is a good call. fielder is like theroux mixed with nolan with his general ambition in production, wilson is much more by the book.

the two seasons can be binged easily. has good documentary value beyond the humour, too.

parkthebuslads

I thought it was awful, unless you're looking for a voice-over that makes a point of adding a "um" into every sentence to really sell just how socially awkward the on the nose character being played is. Not to mention the fact the content is just generally dull and at times a rather unplesant and grimey watch.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Season 3 of this starts next Saturday.

Love this show. Perfect thing to rewatch as well as you won’t remember anything about from the first time round.