How we fail in our build-up and why

sp_107

-------------------------Ronaldo--------Cavani-----------------------
----------------------------------Bruno-------------------------------------------
------Sancho---Pogba ---McTominay------Greenwood----
------------Shaw---------Maguire---------Varane -----------------------
--------------------------------- DDG -------------------------------------------

Hard working Cavani/Greenwood can contribute to the defensive side + Rashford / Martial coming off from Bench

Does it work ?

Mickson

I have listened to a few (German) interviews by Klopp, Tuchel and Nagelsmann and they always come up with pretty detailed in depth analysis and game plan tactics. They explain what kind of spaces they want to occupy against which opponent, how to use the ball in certain areas, how the off the ball movement has to be adopted, in which area of the pitch to press, where to make the space smaller and where to stretch it, and in which phase they change plans and try something different depending on the own players or how the other team has set up.
Never have I witnessed Ole talking in such detail. I am no expert so it easy to impress someone like me, but often when I watch us play I really have the feeling that nobody concentrates on these kind of things. Maybe he is of the opinion that this kind of expert rambling is not of interest for the majority of the fans.

Don't get me wrong, Ole has my backing for the next months as long as the results are ok - he deserves that. However, looking at the players we have available our football should be better than it actually is in 4 out of 5 games.
True, he is just sitting there with his anti charisma talking about "The United way" the truth is that he is clueless tactically compared to his peers. This is exactly why our build-up sucks because he can't set up a team that plays great passing football from the back. You need more than "go out and enjoy yourself Rashy" to be able to pull that off.

Strelok

Brighton don't face teams who let them dominate the ball.

It's totally different playing with the ball compared to playing without it.

Case in point. The Wolves game. We had nearly 60% possession but barely created a chance. ALL of their chances came from us giving the ball away and breaking on us at pace (even the corner for the Saiz chance was won this way).

Its exactly what we do to City every year under Ole. Sit in, let them have it, choose our three fastest attackers, break on them at pace.

I guarantee you, if Wolves and Brighton were given the chance to dominate possession, they wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.
Absolutely spot on. You know football mate.

Reading this thread is funny. Some reminds me of the talk of coaching alone would turn Pereira and Lingard into some Bruno back then. Or a bit of structure, some pattern of play or whatever would too. That talk disappeared after we bought Bruno. This talk will if we manage to buy another Bruno in the midfield. These coaching talks make me think the guys at those top clubs must be insane to pay top money for their playes. Why would you have to buy world class players if you simply could coach your average ones to be? Or some coaching and a bit of structure would surely make them look so. Crazy world huh.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
There has been a paradigm shift the past decade. It was the end of types like Mourinho and Benitez as top coaches. In the PL it started with Pochettino at Southampton. His teams were especially good when it came to;

A) Building from the back
B) Pressing
C) Transition play

This is also hallmarks of teams coached by Klopp, Pep, Bielsa and Tuchel. It is also apparant that this is at focus at Arsenal, Southampton and Brighton. Some will fail trying to implementing it, and some will succeed. But in the future, this will be the focus of all top coaches in the world.

When we eventually hire a coach that put emphasis on the aspects above we will probably struggle for awhile.

Eli Zee

I think our players go missing/hiding rather than trying to get open for passes. Like if you are in midfield with the ball on our team, there is no one moving to get open. You either make an over the top through ball or pass it sideways.

::sonny::

When you play with Bissaka and McFred you have the 30% of the squad unable to play the ball, your chances to win a game decrease of 30%