How will Bruno fit into Ten Hag's style of play?

honirelandboy

He's going to play 4-3-2-1 with Bruno/Sancho playing central attacking midfield roles running wide they need to lure defenders out of position opening up space. Striker options will be Rashford/Ronaldo.

Ten Hag is all about movement. If he see's players standing like statues he will crucify them.

Revaulx

Maybe I have more confidence on Bruno than many on caf, that's why I always end up predicting/assuming he will be very good under ETH.

Like you said, it might be problem later when we sign lot of players and everyone looks in sync, with Bruno looking out of place.
Yeah. ETH is likely to be tolerant of players with a good work ethic from the start, regardless of whether they fit his system or not. I have no doubt Bruno will be one of them.

The other attackers though? Elanga certainly; Ronaldo also, despite his age. I’m not so sure about the rest; even Sancho looks half-arsed a lot of the time.

RedDevil@84

If ETH is as smart as everyone says, Bruno will be one of the major players in the team. Bruno does not come across as an uncoachable guy or something. And he is unlikely to moan or complain to media, because ETH made him run harder or change his preferred style of play.

Glorio

From the accounts of Bruno throughout his time as a pro he has always been the same and it was earmarked in the scouting report and stated as a reason we didn't pull the trigger until Ole vetoed. It's also been stated as a reason why he was still in Portugal at such an age as other clubs steered clear.

Why will his fundamental and intrinsic principles change? In fact, how can they, in all seriousness?
We know all this for a fact? I.e. the scouting report? Spurs were heavily interested the summer before. And this scouting thing could just be a rumour (maybe not but I can't verify). I can only go by what Bruno himself and Ole have declared in public

ThinkTank@Cafe

OP and many people on the forum tend to be categorical. Bruno is so and so, Ten Hag system is so and so, they don’t fit. My view is: Bruno is a world class player in certain conditions such as: some space around him and runners ahead of him. New Man Utd must be able to create those conditions for his players to thrive. It’s his job. Ten Hag looks like a player oriented manager who builds around his players strengths. Ten Hag likes to overload flanks. Highly likely, Bruno will often be the player who occupies the opposite flank. He will not be tied to one flank but operate across the field. His work rate is a huge asset for such a player.

Olecurls99

He's a very intelligent footballer who makes the absolute most out of limited ability.
He's not fast, he's not great under the press because he's weak and not very agile but if you give him the ball in space around the opponent box, or give him time on the ball on a counter, then he's a killer.
I think if Teny can gets us up and running with pass and move football then Bruno will be able to keep the ball ticking over, his technique and intelligence is good enough to make up for his athletic failings, and because in a good pass and move team there will be an obvious pass on.

Bruno can be told to keep his danger balls for the final third or a high defensive line. Come on Bruno. Take back your crown.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's the only one at United that you can safely say meets ETH's criteria of his player: aggressive, technical, quick thinking, willing to work off the ball and for the team.

I think ETH would prefer to bin everyone else before Bruno.

cyril C

The same way that Ten Hag has to adapt to CR and DDG. He can't have it 100%, but need to accommodate and build a team around them. I thought simplest solution is 4312, get a solid MF first, and allow the front 3 some freedom. Bruno does work hard, just not the box2box player like Park or KDB, or not as discipline. So need to have 3 MF behind him (& CR)

Red Rash

Not sure if this would suit ETHs preferred style of play but I could see something like this working:

-------------------Ronaldo (Nunez)-------------------

Bruno ---------------DVB----------------------Sancho

--------------------De Jong--------New DM------------

Bruno would be playing similarly to how Pogba did at some points in the season. I think he will want a number 10 who keeps the ball more. This obviously depends on Bruno raising his performances massively compared to this season

Becks00

Yeah. ETH is likely to be tolerant of players with a good work ethic from the start, regardless of whether they fit his system or not. I have no doubt Bruno will be one of them.

The other attackers though? Elanga certainly; Ronaldo also, despite his age. I’m not so sure about the rest; even Sancho looks half-arsed a lot of the time.
Due respect to Elanga and I wish him well in his football career but I hope I never see the time when he is preferred to a player like Sancho for Man utd. Elanga really shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11.

Revaulx

Due respect to Elanga and I wish him well in his football career but I hope I never see the time when he is preferred to a player like Sancho for Man utd. Elanga really shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11.
We’ll have to wait and see. I’m pretty confident that ETH will be able to get a tune out of Sancho, but I’ve not seen anything from him so far to indicate that he deserves to be an automatic starter.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sure, Elanga does not look like a superstar in the making but he is still young and we might of seen only 20% of his talent.
Tadic or Haller weren't that good at 19 and ETH made them proper players at Ajax.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I don’t really care whether Ten Hag thinks highly of Bruno. What I don’t want to ever see again is him being the CM/CAM he’s been designated since he got here.
His Javelin football does not work in the type of football I want to see at OT. It’s all good trying to exploit the spaces behind defender because it is part of the game but it can’t be all a midfielder is capable of. In a Mourinho team I think he will be doing great as well but want a CM midfield that can dominate and compress the opposition in their own half. This in nothing to do with runners but players that are capable of keeping the ball ticking under pressure, not faint every time you are approached by an opponent in the middle of the pitch.
Our midfield will always be labelled awful or poor as long as he keeps treating the ball like hot cake. For a midfield to function, you work in sync but not having one with god complex pelting the ball every time the team regains possession in the pretext of taking risks or being a trier.
I don’t care whether he plays as a FB, just don’t want him in CM because he makes the pitch too big for other midfielders when we are trying to take control. People don’t seem to get it. No one is doubting his natural ability as a footballer but the qualities that make him stand out don’t work for the very best teams. The very best teams control games, they don’t cede it unnecessarily in the guise of trying randomly to make things happen.
I used to hate Roy Keane for a particular habit of taking long distance shots when he clearly knew nothing was going to come out of it but he always did it to wake his teammates up. My view of football is not going change and Bruno or any similar type Midfielder will not change it.
Control the ball, impose your game and exploit the oppositions weaknesses. This is also how I expect the team I support to play.

El Jefe

Watching the Portugal game and this guy is awful. Our scouts got it right the first time around. He is nowhere near good enough in possession.

Can't see a future for him under ETH.

NLunited

Watching the Portugal game and this guy is awful. Our scouts got it right the first time around. He is nowhere near good enough in possession.

Can't see a future for him under ETH.
I would not base anything on a Portugal game. They always look like shiit.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I would love to see him in the role that Ziyech fulfilled at Ajax. Ziyech was used predominantly at 10 when he was with Heerenveen and Twente and ETH used him a lot at RW. I feel like their style of play isn't that different.

dutchred

I would love to see him in the role that Ziyech fulfilled at Ajax. Ziyech was used predominantly at 10 when he was with Heerenveen and Twente and ETH used him a lot at RW. I feel like their style of play isn't that different.
The main difference is Ziyech is left footed and was used as an inverted right winger. Bruno is essentially right footed

justsomebloke

Can we not call it Ole-ball? It was counterattacking football.

And I suspect he will play on a wide attacking forward role unless he can be controlled and learn not to lose 7/10 of his passes.
No it wasn't. Look up the goals. There were far more from established play than from counterattacks.

Marwood

The way he fits is by fully following the managers instructions and boy do we need a few of the players to start doing that.

If he does he absolutely can play a big role.

If he continues to do his own thing, which he's becoming more and more prone to, he won't last long.

It's really simple for a number of our players. They need a strong manager who's a good communicator. Then do as he says. Their natural talent then shines through.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Can see him using Bruno as an RW in a 4 3 3.

He'll be given permission to roam towards the centre in possesion. Also from the right side, Bruno's great crossing and early balls will be dangerous. KDB picks up that crossing position a lot for City bombarding all kinds of crosses.

It'll probably be a very fluid system positionally.

Another option is as an 8. Since Ten Hag likes to play a style similar to Pep, the 8's are basically Attacking mids. Bruno has the workrate of a box to box CM so that won't be much of an issue without the ball either.

Ten Hag would probably coach Bruno to not lose possesion that often and try killer balls lesser and in a slightly more restrained manner.

Plus Bruno is very good at all kinds of set pieces.

I think he'll do pretty well. At the end of the day, a risk taking chance creator is necessary and with a bit of coaching Bruno will know when and how often to try that stuff.

I'm a beautiful thing

Never a wide player for me,he plays the No 10 role or he doesn't play,he need to pass the ball better and not try the Roy of the Rovers stuff(showing my age there).
Decent player that might just thrive under the new coach

LuckyScout78

And this moment + De Jong + Eriksen

Bruno = RCM - DCM = Garner/Fred or a new really good DCM? - De Jong - 4-3-3

I saw Ten Hag was using a diamond formation with Ajax in the last two matches of last Dutch season.

I agree. I can see 4312 formation can be an alternative to 433 with two pacey, sharp and skill ful wingers. Like this:

Eriksen - DCM = Fred/Garner or a new one - De Jong + Bruno + Rashford/Nunez - Ronaldo/Sancho.

Bruno as CAM and with 2 really good CFs upfronts.

Oldtraffordboy

Agree it's not straight forward. Everyone needs to up their short passing game, Bruno included.

I think he can play in a CM 3 against a bottom half side but his best position might be a false 9/firmino type role.

Although it's funny how City and Pool are seemingly moving away from playing false #9s now given their signings.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He will fit in easily. All he needs is better coaching than he's had, which wouldn't be hard. He's a class player who can fit in across the front 3 or in CM as required. You just need to allow for the fact he's going to get bored occasionally and fire in a 40 yard shot / Hollywood ball from time to time.

Trex

He will fit in easily. All he needs is better coaching than he's had, which wouldn't be hard. He's a class player who can fit in across the front 3 or in CM as required. You just need to allow for the fact he's going to get bored occasionally and fire in a 40 yard shot / Hollywood ball from time to time.
Have you noticed Bruno plays better when mata plays from the right or Pogba from the left.
He excels when he has other playmaking presence around him to dovetail with.
I think he can go up another level under ETH, because I think the technical level of the team would go up with the signings and coaching.

Godfather

Quite astonished some think he can play wide. He can't beat a man and isn't the quickest. He either plays at 10 or he learns to properly position himself as an 8.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bruno is absolutely ass at a false 9 role. We've tried it before and it never worked.

He doesn't like physical contact, defenders who get tight and give him a nibble he hits the deck instantly.

He's too weak to hold the ball up under pressure, and most importantly you're taking away his 2 best attributes (vision, off the ball running)

As others have stated he could play from the wing, he's quick enough and has plenty of stamina. He can use his passing range from the LW especially if he has a fullback to let him cut inside.

I suspect he will keep playing as an 8 though, he will just be made to tidy his passing up. Ole allowed him to be slack because he loved the killer passes. He didn't care if 1/10 made it as that 1 would create a goal.

I suspect ETH will be a lot stricter on our players being sensible in possession.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Quite astonished some think he can play wide. He can't beat a man and isn't the quickest. He either plays at 10 or he learns to properly position himself as an 8.
He's shown loads of times he can beat a man and he is quick. No idea where you are getting that from to be honest.

Oldyella

Unless there is some miracle transformation over the summer him playing as an 8 will be a disaster. We get frustrated with Fred losing the ball with sloppy passes? Wait till Bruno is in there!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Unless there is some miracle transformation over the summer him playing as an 8 will be a disaster. We get frustrated with Fred losing the ball with sloppy passes? Wait till Bruno is in there!
If he has a coach he respects he will change his style of play. Ole didn't want him to and Ralf was a plonker. If the guy can ping a 50 yard Hollywood ball he can play a 10 yard pass, it's a question of decision making.

Trex

I don't see him as a wide man, he doesn't have any ball carrying abilities, if you look at the way ETH uses his number 10 in a 4231 Bruno would excel playing that role.
In the build up play his team usually form a 3151, one of the CM dropping deep to form a back three the other staying in front of the back three allowing the number fullbacks to push higher, both wingers move slightly inward with and the center.
So basically the front four forms a narrow diamond, pinning the opponent back four and at least one midfielder back, that's already 5 of their outfielders who have to maintain deep position, there will always the one free man at among the deeper players unless the opponent is willing to play 4vs4 against the forward players.

The back three spreads across, made of one midfielder and the two center spread across the back line giving both wider players and angle to progress the ball, with the option of playing into the the fullback out wide or to the feet of one of the front four dropping off or into a channel ball down the flank.
So expect to see variation in movement from the front four, center forward drops off to receive to feet. No10 runs behind to make the space for him, same kind of movement from the wingers. All coached to a high degree.

Von Mistelroum

I think it's likely that he'll play him out wide, or at least more wide than currently. At least I think that'll be the plan but he might have to just play MF if we can't bring more midfielders in.

Olecurls99

If he has options available he'll keep the ball ticking over but if he's got to get out of trouble he'll lose it. He's not a great player under pressure.

I can see him falling down the ranks of our midfield under Teny.

Bestietom

And this moment + De Jong + Eriksen

Bruno = RCM - DCM = Garner/Fred or a new really good DCM? - De Jong - 4-3-3

I saw Ten Hag was using a diamond formation with Ajax in the last two matches of last Dutch season.

I agree. I can see 4312 formation can be an alternative to 433 with two pacey, sharp and skill ful wingers. Like this:

Eriksen - DCM = Fred/Garner or a new one - De Jong + Bruno + Rashford/Nunez - Ronaldo/Sancho.

Bruno as CAM and with 2 really good CFs upfronts.
Where does Antony fit in, if he comes. He plays on Right for Ajax.