How will our league finish effect Europa League

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Great competition to win if you find yourself in it. Lots of diversity in teams, styles and interesting matches. I really enjoy the matches it tends to throw up and the players it unearths.

The biggest highlight for me post-Fergie was probably the final against Ajax and Fellaini being a boss as strange as that sounds. It’s a final of a European tournament with some historic names in the hat, what’s not to love?

romufc

If the competition is in August, perhaps Ole can use it as pre season games prior to the season kicking off? It will be quite competitive and get the players in good fitness for the start of the season.

saivet

As it seems it will be one legged ties, I'd say we should go for it without taking any unnecessary risks with injuries or fitness. Aside from winning a trophy the other benefit is that that the champions secure a place in pot 1 of the CL.

Jesse > Messi

Only a couple of games max to win it , surely we start acting like we are Manchester United again and try and win everything we can.

It might not be the most glamour our trophy to win but it is still silverware , you would hope both the club and players are ambitious enough to always try and win what they can, especially when it is so few games.

The club needs a winning mentality back again and that has to start somewhere be it Europa league , FA cup etc etc. Lets start filling the trophy cabinet again.
Guaranteed ticket into the champions league next year, we need this incase citehs appeal is upheld, plus it’s a fecking trophy. IMO The way football is currently structured and the money that is available from mid-range to even relegation threatened teams in the Prem meaning this piece of silverware is increasing becoming a rather convenient way to get in to the CL, you have the prestige of being a ‘European champion’, the guarentee of CL football. It might not be the most prestigious piece of silverware available (I would argue it’s the most prestigious trophy we have a chance of picking up this season though but that’s time) but let’s be frank the team we had in the 90’s kicked on so much thanks to the cWc91’ pretty much began SAF’s Glorious rein.

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
Surely we go all-out to win it?

It's no longer going to interfere with our Premier League run-in most likely, so it wouldn't be a 'distraction' any more. It's another trophy at the end of the day, so I want us to try and win it when it's out of us and seven other teams that we are at the very least as good as. Of course, in the first game we have a 0-5 first leg advantage so by all means rest the players that need it from the previous League game and give some of the younger lads a game. After that, winning is all there is to it.

We are winning more trophies than most teams in our worst spell in decades. Let's keep doing that.

Jesse > Messi

It's no longer going to interfere with our Premier League run-in most likely, so it wouldn't be a 'distraction' any more. It's another trophy at the end of the day, so I want us to try and win it when it's out of us and seven other teams that we are at the very least as good as. Of course, in the first game we have a 0-5 first leg advantage so by all means rest the players that need it from the previous League game and give some of the younger lads a game. After that, winning is all there is to it.

We are winning more trophies than most teams in our worst spell in decades. Let's keep doing that.

I know right it’s crazy how many trophies we’re still managing to pick up in what has to be our teams worst fallow period (in modern times.) I actually never used to like the Europa League as a competition, I feel the later stages are always more competitive than the early rounds. But after our victory in Stockholm 2017 under mou I’ve not minded it as a trophy. It has its foibles and is a strain on the squad with the amount of games you play, fortunately we’ve got a health squad size and youth too boot as back up so I don’t see why when we’re in it and definitely in this case. It’s 4 games to win the damn thing. Won’t shut the scousers up but at least we can rub it in the faces that were the ‘European’ Champions of England if we do happen to win! I’d love this outcome, proper middle finger up to the cnuts

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Yep. And copy + paste this response for any questions about the FA Cup. That will be way more difficult of course, considering the quality of sides that remain, but surely we go all out for it. Its a trophy. We should win it. Winning things is good. Moral victories are lame.

Garry Buck

Be great if we can win Europa again. I would consider us one of the favourites.

Of course we want to be in the Champions League but whilst we are in the Europa let’s go for it!

Plus I would much rather us play Europa and potentially win it then getting knocked out in the first knockout phase of the Champions League year in and year out.

Craig Ward

Find it odd some people dont want us to win.

The aim is always to win, especially a big european competition.

Getting the team back to having a winning mentality is vital for future success. We have to play to win

romufc

Find it odd some people dont want us to win.

The aim is always to win, especially a big european competition.

Getting the team back to having a winning mentality is vital for future success. We have to play to win
This is what sets you up for big trophies. the players need to get the experience of playing in big games. Semi Finals, Finals and experience the pressures of this.

If you look at our squad, the liked of Lindelof, Mctominay, James, AWB, Greenwood, Fred all need that experience, it will prepare our squad to mount a good challenge in other competitions.

Jonno

We're in this game to win trophies, it's not even a question for me. In the CL? Great, but we still go out and try to win trophies. We could potentially do a cup double in this season with a 4th place finish. I'd have snapped someones arm off for that back in August.

Gator Nate

We go for it. Period. As has been stated above, Ole preaches that we always go for trophies. I have no doubt that it's his goal to take 3rd in the league and then win both tourneys. And with everyone healthy at this point, with 9 league games to go and the personnel to pull off multiple formations and lineups, I have no doubt he can do it.

downunder red

We should be trying to win every game and start getting a winning mentality through out the club. With the squad we have got there is no reason why we shouldn't.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Is this official? The legs being only 1 game?
No, but highly expected. They are due to meet on June 17 to discuss it.

The most likely scenario is having a mini tournament with the last 8 teams, all held in one city with a 1-leg knockout rule.

ROFLUTION

It's two competitions for Ole where it would be nice to say he could do sort of the same as Mourinho and Van Gaal isnt it?

Sevilla, Roma, Inter, Wolves, Leverkusen are the good teams left. I'd say we have a good chance while only being on 80-90% and still able to compete for next season.

We have promising young players like McTominay, Williams, James, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, so it's time we trust some of them a bit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As LVG says.... "WE GO FOR IT!"

Winning the EL is still a fantastic thing to do, any trophy is worth winning if you can get there.

It won't be easy though as there's still some great teams left, but it could be a huge boost for the team and club as a whole going forward.