L1nk

I believe his usual formation is a traditional 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2

Henderson/De Gea
AWB - Varane - Lindelof - Telles
Fred - VDB
Sancho - Bruno
Rashford - Ronaldo
Reasons I pick these players;

GK - I'm unsure, I think he's likely to go for Henderson because i feel like he has a better command of the box than De Gea, he always says the keeper should hardly be kicking the ball with his feet so don't expect them to get a lot of touches
Lindelof - I think he will prefer Lindelof's ability to get it out from the back more than Maguire's, that and whilst he isn't that quick, I think he's quicker than Maguire. Only issue being Maguire's price tag and captaincy which may make him a starter
VDB and Fred - Think Fred is a no brainer because he's probably our best presser and VDB is probably our most press resistant midfielder, I also think he's a better passer and is more intelligent with movement than McT.

The other 4 speak for themselves, i think Sancho, Bruno and Rashford especially will look to press with high energy, feel free to switch in the likes of Greenwood to and whilst Ronaldo will not press as much as the rest it's not unheard of for him to accomodate players of this ilk into his sides, see Raul at Hoffenheim for example who was definitely less mobile than Ronaldo is now.

Martial - Is done unless Rangnick can get him to chase,
Pogba - Strolls around the pitch and loses the ball too much in midfield, a complete luxury player that I don't think Rangnick will like at all and does not suit his style of play, nor will it suit our style of play if this is something we are looking to implement in the long run, which means he'll either be gone in January or the summer i feel, I hope we can get him to sign a new contract so that if nothing else, we can get some money for him in the summer, but honestly think he'll leave on a free.
Shaw - He's complained about Shaw before, maybe he'll see him in person and think differently, but at the moment I actually think he'll prefer Telles
Cavani - I think he'll like Cavani because he's certainly more likely to run than Ronaldo, so I expect to see him play, but Rangnicks definitely of the ilk that he prefers younger players to help play his style, so i don't think Cavani will be kept on, Ronaldo obviously being a special case because of his history with the club
Lingard - Unless Lingard looks to force a move I can actually see him doing well under Rangnick, maybe all that headless chicken running can finally be put to good use

Lentwood

I'm mainly interested to see what he does with the GK and the CF position. I think that's were we will see the biggest/most controversial decisions in the first couple of months.

We know Ronaldo has issues with pressing and I think De Gea is a real throwback of a GK who I think is unlikely to suit a more progressive manager

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The other 4 speak for themselves, i think Sancho, Bruno and Rashford especially will look to press with high energy, feel free to switch in the likes of Greenwood to and whilst Ronaldo will not press as much as the rest it's not unheard of for him to accomodate players of this ilk into his sides, see Raul at Hoffenheim for example who was definitely less mobile than Ronaldo is now.

Lingard - Unless Lingard looks to force a move I can actually see him doing well under Rangnick, maybe all that headless chicken running can finally be put to good use
Raul played under him at Schalke not Hoffenheim, but otherwise you are correct on him.

With Lingard and also Bruno I would say it will be a be a question of putting a head onto the checken to stay in the picture.

DSG

I think there will be some interesting surprises. Most here are speculating that DvB will be first choice… He’s not physical enough for a deeper role in the PL IMHO.

I believe that Rashford will thrive in this system, much like Timo Werner did. Rashford will be in the first 11.

Lingard’s work rate is extremely high, and this will mean a bit of a renaissance for him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the midfield.

People keep saying that Ronaldo can’t / won’t press. I don’t agree. And he is going to feast when the ball turns over. Cavani as well.

Defensively, it’s going to be a real challenge to mold this group into his vision. Varane aside, Maguire doesn’t fit, Lindelof doesn’t fit, Bailly is error prone. Tuanzebe DOES fit, but he’s on loan. I actually think Shaw will be fine, and under Rangnick will produce his best form ever. AWB is a serious problem due to his limitations in positioning and passing.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I reckon Lingard might well get into the side if he opts for a 4-2-2-2 system.

Ronaldo Sancho
Bruno Lingard
Fred McTominay
Telles Lindelöf Maguire AWB
deGea
Considering the work rate required to use pressing as the attacking tactic, instead of playing out from the back, the bigger squad might as well come in handy and all of Donny, Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood will get adequate game time.

If Pogba buys in, he is a deluxe level Naby Keita in the Leipzig system to use instead of McTominay.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's here for 6 months I doubt we'll be signing many if any players for an Interim manager. A CM maybe but that's probably it.
Of course we will.

That's the point.

Rangnick is staying at the club beyond the interim role. That allows us to sign players in line with the longer term vision and to suit the needs of the incoming coach in the summer.

That's why the move is so good.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Of course we will.

That's the point.

Rangnick is staying at the club beyond the interim role. That allows us to sign players in line with the longer term vision and to suit the needs of the incoming coach in the summer.

Typically there's not a lot of transfers in January. In the summer the new manager will get in. We don't know how of a say RR will have in things after the interim period.

TheReligion

Abusive
Typically there's not a lot of transfers in January. In the summer the new manager will get in. We don't know how of a say RR will have in things after the interim period.
I think it's safe to say he will have a say.

The move is so good long term and helps a smooth transition.

Oranges038

What ever it is.

I hope it doesn't include Pogba and Lingard getting new deals. I also hope we never have to suffer watching AWB, Martial, McT or Dalot ever again. Regardless of system, these lads just aren't good enough for the club in the long term. Better to just nip them out in the early stages.

TheReligion

Abusive
Based on what? He'll have no real power that we know of. The board might not want to take his advice.
Based on what all reliable media outlets are saying along with two other things;

1) His character. Demands to be involved and is intent to shape projects.

2) His rejection of Chelsea for only offering an interim role.

Everything points to his role being meaningful.

United in sin

If he keeps the 4222 he played at Leipzig a lot;

De Gea
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Donny - Fred
Bruno - Sancho
Rashford - Ronaldo​

I don’t think he’ll be particularly keen on any of the back 4 apart from Varane, none of whom can press high up the park.
Bailly

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What ever it is.

I hope it doesn't include Pogba and Lingard getting new deals. I also hope we never have to suffer watching AWB, Martial, McT or Dalot ever again. Regardless of system, these lads just aren't good enough for the club in the long term. Better to just nip them out in the early stages.
I would like to see how everyone fits into the system. So clean slate for everyone.

Water Melon

Rashy - Ronaldo/Cavani
Sancho - Bruno
McTominay/VdB-Fred
Back4:
Shaw/Telles-Lindelof/Maguire- Varane/Bailly-AWB/Dalot

4-2-2-2

stevoc

Of course we will.

That's the point.

He's staying in a very vague capacity so who knows what sort of influence he will have after June if any. For context the rumour is Ed Woodward will also have a similar consultancy role at the club.

As I said I could see the club signing one player in January if he thinks he needs one.

But signing 2-3 players and buying 2 new fullbacks in January for an interim boss?

I just don't see that happening personally.

Oranges038

I would like to see how everyone fits into the system. So clean slate for everyone.
Fcuk that. There's plenty of them on their third or fourth clean slate. Some of these players just need to go. They aren't good enough and have proven time and time again that they aren't.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's staying in a very vague capacity so who knows what sort of influence he will have after June if any. For context the rumour is Ed Woodward will also have a similar consultancy role at the club.

As I said I could see the club signing one player in January if he thinks he needs one.

But signing 2-3 players and buying 2 new fullbacks in January for an interim boss?

Disagree entirely.

They aren't being bought for the interim boss. They will be being bought for the philosophy.

Revaulx

After years of seeing Janujaz, Bailey, McGuire, and similar spellings, I think our best chance is settling on calling him Ralf.
You’ve forgotten Lingaard, Falco and numerous variants of Mkhitaryan.

Though the last one is sort of understandable :)

Cantonagotmehere

I believe his usual formation is a traditional 4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2

Henderson/De Gea
AWB - Varane - Lindelof - Telles
Fred - VDB
Sancho - Bruno
Rashford - Ronaldo
Reasons I pick these players;

GK - I'm unsure, I think he's likely to go for Henderson because i feel like he has a better command of the box than De Gea, he always says the keeper should hardly be kicking the ball with his feet so don't expect them to get a lot of touches
Lindelof - I think he will prefer Lindelof's ability to get it out from the back more than Maguire's, that and whilst he isn't that quick, I think he's quicker than Maguire. Only issue being Maguire's price tag and captaincy which may make him a starter
VDB and Fred - Think Fred is a no brainer because he's probably our best presser and VDB is probably our most press resistant midfielder, I also think he's a better passer and is more intelligent with movement than McT.

Martial - Is done unless Rangnick can get him to chase,
Pogba - Strolls around the pitch and loses the ball too much in midfield, a complete luxury player that I don't think Rangnick will like at all and does not suit his style of play, nor will it suit our style of play if this is something we are looking to implement in the long run, which means he'll either be gone in January or the summer i feel, I hope we can get him to sign a new contract so that if nothing else, we can get some money for him in the summer, but honestly think he'll leave on a free.
Shaw - He's complained about Shaw before, maybe he'll see him in person and think differently, but at the moment I actually think he'll prefer Telles
Cavani - I think he'll like Cavani because he's certainly more likely to run than Ronaldo, so I expect to see him play, but Rangnicks definitely of the ilk that he prefers younger players to help play his style, so i don't think Cavani will be kept on, Ronaldo obviously being a special case because of his history with the club
Great post. Fun to think about.

Cantonagotmehere

I could see competition for AWB no matter who is in charge. That could be relatively cheap, no brainer.

Verward

I could see Fred becoming suddenly world class player he was meant to be.
I think he will be the right guy for Ragnick and will prove us fans wrong.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don't really expect drastic changes in the personally compared to Ole's reign. I think the majority of the changes will be tactical.

stevoc

Disagree entirely.

They aren't being bought for the interim boss. They will be being bought for the philosophy.
Fair enough, time will tell I suppose. I'm not sure I trust the Glazers or Woodward to make long term footballing decisions.

To be honest I reckon even if we'd appointed a full time manager like Pochettino or Zidane I still couldn't envisage the club green lighting a massive spending spree in January.

Do you see a the club doing much business in January?

KGBhoy

I don't think it's a given that Shaw is replaced by Telles. Shaw has not been great by any stretch, but Telles is a huge defensive liability. Wouldn't be surprised if we made that position a priority sooner rather than later.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think everyone is getting caught up on the players they deem as lazy not getting chances under him. He has already stated in an old interview that Mane, Salah and Firmino were never natural pressing players, and that its the work Klopp has done with them that has got them to where they are now.

I imagine the younger players will 100% buy in to what he's asking of them so Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay, AWB should all greatly improve.

Ronaldo is a model professional, possibly the best there has ever been with the amount he has squeezed out of his talent, so I assume he'll fulfil his role in the pressing unit, but it might see him rested a little more.

Pogba and Martial should be interesting, if Rangnick can get through to them, then they could become excellent players for us again.

Expect him to settle on something like...

DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
DvB Fred
Sancho Bruno
Ronaldo Cavani

Obviously depending on how quickly they take to the new methods you have got a lot of the names mentioned already that could seemlessly slot in.

I think I'm in the minority in not expecting miracles this year, he's an interesting manager, but not one that you'd put anywhere near the levels of Klopp, Pep or Tuchel, despite obviously influencing 2 of them their styles have evolved from their time with him.

The most exciting part is the consultancy element and the fact it seems like we are going to be putting football brains on the football side of things from now on.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fair enough, time will tell I suppose. I'm not sure I trust the Glazers or Woodward to make long term footballing decisions.

To be honest I reckon even if we'd appointed a full time manager like Pochettino or Zidane I still couldn't envisage the club green lighting a massive spending spree in January.

Do you see a the club doing much business in January?
We have to accept that they have made a long term footballing decision though in adding Rangnick. There's also been a number of structural changes over the past few years.

Do I see the club doing business January? Yes. I think they'll bring someone in. Rangnick has unearthed a few gems and has a number of connections. It might not be a big name but I see an addition or two.

Don't think that's farfetched at all.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think he’ll get a lot more out of Fred. He does fine for Brazil and there is probably a lot more ability than has looked at United. Sancho and Rashford should benefit its about time Rashford had a proper coach to develop him. Van de Beek should also be better under him. Bruno will be interesting. There are sides to his game that could be a really good match but also lots that are the opposite. Could see Rangnick preferring Bailly to Maguire, but it’s difficult with Maguire costing so much.

I’d imagine he’ll think it’s absolutely mental that so much was spent on AWB and Maguire. I honestly think if Rangnick was running the club he could do better with 60% of the current wage bill.

kirk buttercup

He. Cannot. Play. Football.

It's amazing people thinking someone whose footballing ability is exposed at FB can make a decent midfielder where there's no space and you need to pass well and quickly.
You are right he is definitely not the answer to our problem . But quite often he gets put into tight positions where he plays good passes. His abilities are limited going past players, crossing a ball , Shooting and a few more but then again we have played Fred and Mctominay in these positions and they arent much better tbf.

Marcus

I agree. I see him squeezing what he can from existing players and getting rid of those who don't step up in the summer. I also see lots of opportunities for the youth players because of injuries to senior players who can't take the intensity.

stevoc

We have to accept that they have made a long term footballing decision though in adding Rangnick. There's also been a number of structural changes over the past few years.

Do I see the club doing business January? Yes. I think they'll bring someone in. Rangnick has unearthed a few gems and has a number of connections. It might not be a big name but I see an addition or two.

Don't think that's farfetched at all.
Isn't that sort of what I said though?

I said I could see us bringing in a CM in January. So what's farfetched?

stevoc

I agree. I see him squeezing what he can from existing players and getting rid of those who don't step up in the summer. I also see lots of opportunities for the youth players because of injuries to senior players who can't take the intensity.
Yeah I think he'll try to work with the current squad without too many additions if any.

Think exits will be left to the permanent manager though.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Players that will play most minutes: Sancho, VdB, Bruno, Varane (if not injured). I expect everybody else will be rotated and will have to compete for their positions. De Gea may yield to Henderson, if Rngnick decides Henderson can be better modern goalkeeper. Ronaldo will rotate either with Cavani or Greenwood, depending on whether Rangnick decides that Greenwood should be developed into a striker or winger. Rangnick's system uses narrow wingers, which may suit Greenwood better than the striker role that he doesn't seem to enjoy that much anyway. This may also depend on whether we have real plans for going for Haaland, as our long-term #9.

Marcus

Yeah I think he'll try to work with the current squad without too many additions if any.

Think exits will be left to the permanent manager though.
If he becomes the de facto DOF, I think he would have a pretty big say in terms of who goes. Especially when he has personally had the opportunity to coach them. Scary times for the players. I can't wait to see the reaction.