How will seven central defenders be kept happy?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is that actually a record for a premier league club? Discounting youth players to have seven senior centre backs on the books at one time. I find it incredible.

Maguire and Lindelof is first choice clearly but what sort of pecking order is behind that? I'm assuming Smalling is first to come in for injury/suspension but how come you didn't send Axel out on loan again as I can't see him getting much chance apart from europa league. Then you have Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

Bailly injured so that's easy to handle and you may see him appear again over xmas. Not really sure what you do with the other two although I guess with euro window still open maybe a foreign club will bid for Rojo, amazed you didn't just loan him out to Everton to at least get him in the shop window a bit more.

Most interesting is bar Bailly they are all actually fit atm so six are available for Chelsea game. Thought you might play 3 at the back but seems OGS been sticking with back 4 in pre season, I do think that will help Maguire be more effective.

Crashoutcassius

Who cares haha rojo out of contract soon.. Jones will be injured. Bailly out for ages. Tuanzebe could easily go on loan at christmas once bailly back

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m sure they’ll be kept happy looking at their bank account each week. I wouldn’t worry about them they’ll be fine.

SteveW

Bailly is out for months. Rojo will be gone in the next couple of weeks.

5 is still a lot

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By being paid while being too injured to play, for the most part.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Bailly's injured, Rojo will likely be loaned/sold in the next few weeks.

Pecking order for the rest will be something like:
  1. Harry Maguire & Victor Lindelof (League)
  2. Axel Tuanzebe & Phil Jones (Europa & Cups)
  3. Chris Smalling (when Jones inevitably gets injured/injures someone else)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
3 of them are permanent crocks.
Yup. More than happy to sit out collecting their cheques. The problem isn't how to keep them happy but how to get shot of the deadwood.

Red00012

Bailly is a sick note.
Jones will play 1/2 games and get injured for the following 8.
Rojo will be told find a club before September 2.

Then you have your 4 of Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Smalling.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailley will take turns at clown nights

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Too many of them shouldn't be here so I'm not too fussed if they're unhappy at a lack of game time.

bludsucker

Why do they need to be kept happy? They are getting paid aren’t they? This doesn’t seem to be a question asked of man city with their gazzillion midfielders.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Bailly is out for 4 odd months. We'll be lucky if we can even ship him out in January.
Rojo will likely be gone by Sept.2nd. Much like Darmian.
Smalling is apparently available for 30M, and I wouldn't be surprised to have someone desperate for a CB to sign him in January.
The 4 will be Lindelof, Maguire, Jones, and Tuanzebe. Having a fifth isn't a terrible idea, assuming Smalling stays.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Jones and Bailly will be injured.

As long as we keep Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Smalling happy then its fine.

Rojo can fill in at left back against dross to give Shaw a rest. Then he will be sold in Jan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They won't. Rojo has been pointless when it comes to actual minutes played for 2 full seasons yet is still here, same with Bailly (though now injured). Same with Darmian at fullback. 3 players picking up wages for no reason and we'll surely look to get rid asap.

When I look at our centerbacks, I see a group of 5 and nobody else:
  • Maguire
  • Lindelof
  • Tuanzebe
  • Smalling
  • Jones

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Bailly is out for 4 odd months. We'll be lucky if we can even ship him out in January.
Rojo will likely be gone by Sept.2nd. Much like Darmian.
Smalling is apparently available for 30M, and I wouldn't be surprised to have someone desperate for a CB to sign him in January.
The 4 will be Lindelof, Maguire, Jones, and Tuanzebe. Having a fifth isn't a terrible idea, assuming Smalling stays.
Smalling will stay. Ole likes him and said he is important to the team, or he would have left on loan the other day.

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
Play them in midfield.. seriously disappointing window for Man Utd.

MadMike

Bailly’s also on his last year of contract. Not sure if he has a +1 year option or not. Anyways don’t worry, Woody will surely throw him a 4 year contract cause he’ll be too scared to lose him for free, like he did with Rojo.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Is that actually a record for a premier league club? Discounting youth players to have seven senior centre backs on the books at one time. I find it incredible.

Maguire and Lindelof is first choice clearly but what sort of pecking order is behind that? I'm assuming Smalling is first to come in for injury/suspension but how come you didn't send Axel out on loan again as I can't see him getting much chance apart from europa league. Then you have Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

Bailly injured so that's easy to handle and you may see him appear again over xmas. Not really sure what you do with the other two although I guess with euro window still open maybe a foreign club will bid for Rojo, amazed you didn't just loan him out to Everton to at least get him in the shop window a bit more.

Most interesting is bar Bailly they are all actually fit atm so six are available for Chelsea game. Thought you might play 3 at the back but seems OGS been sticking with back 4 in pre season, I do think that will help Maguire be more effective.
Maguire
Lindelof
Tuanzebe
Jones
Bailly
Smalling
Rojo

That is seemingly the order of preference for Ole as it stands right now. Rojo will likely be sold off between now and the end of the international window, Bailly is out injured until at least Christmas so it is 5 (1 of whom is injured a lot) for 2 spots while being in 3 Cup/European competitions before Bailly's return.

There will be plenty of game time for them.

Nick7

As said Rojo will hopefully be gone soon, Bailly will probably go when he's fit in January. Jones and Smalling are only fit enough to count as one player. That's 4 centre backs.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They won't but Rojo can do one. As can Jones. I don't care if they're happy or not.

Bailly is out until Christmas anyway and we should get rid in Jan if we can.

Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Smalling in that order for me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Smalling will stay. Ole likes him and said he is important to the team, or he would have left on loan the other day.
Ole speaks positively about all his players until they leave. He doesn't want a toxic environment. He tries to value everyone. The club have already shown they aren't interested in loans anymore, just permanent deals. Otherwise Rojo would've left on loan today too. But we turned down loan offers for him, trying to force a permanent deal. It was said Smalling was available for 30m for a permanent deal.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Bailly’s also on his last year of contract. Not sure if he has a +1 year option or not. Anyways don’t worry, Woody will surely throw him a 4 year contract cause he’ll be too scared to lose him for free, like he did with Rojo.
We have a +2 option I believe.

el3mel

We'll use them in midfield and attack when injuries happen. :lol:

Dan_F

As others have said, Rojo will go, at least on loan. Bailly out long term, which leaves us with five. One will obviously get injured straight away, because that’s what happens to our defence, leaving four to play. Baring in mind all the cup games we could have, there’s plenty of games for four. It just depends how much Ole will want to risk the rotation, or how hard the ties are.

I reckon there’s a big chance the likes of De Gea, Maguire, Matic, Pogba, won’t feature in the Europa League groups at all, unless we get some hard games. I personally hope we get really easy ties so the younger players get games.

Ekeke

Money. That can be the only reason Rojo and Bailly are happy enough with their few appearances

Devil may care

Bailly, Jones and Rojo are injured most of the time so it wont be difficult, we should have loaned Axel to Villa though, he'd benefit from playing week in and week out in the PL.

I'm pretty sure we can still sell players right?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We add an extra bed in the treatment room?

Snafu17

One will likely leave, one's broken and another we likely be broken soon.