How will Solskjær line up against Liverpool?

tomaldinho1

Everton didn't beat them for something like 18 years in the league. Not sure we're due one with the respective shapes both teams are in.
We've not fallen that far!

In his position, I feel 5 at the back football will be a suicide move at OT. There's worries about fan protests now and what won't help is being passive against our biggest rivals.

My main worry outside of the result is Rashford not being ready and pushed into too many minutes.

MUFC OK

We've not fallen that far!

In his position, I feel 5 at the back football will be a suicide move at OT. There's worries about fan protests now and what won't help is being passive against our biggest rivals.

My main worry outside of the result is Rashford not being ready and pushed into too many minutes.
AWB isnt really an option in that system. We'd have to go for Dalot and arguably Telles to supply crosses for 2 of Ronaldo/Cavani/Rashford/Greenwood.

lex talionis

It's too late for Ole to come up with tactics to turn over a substantially superior Liverpool side. He'll have to pray that individual brilliance carries the day.

Jacob

DDG
LINDELÖF ---- MAGUIRE ----- SHAW
AWB --------------------------------------------------------------------- TELLES
FRED -------------------- SCOTT
BRUNO
CAVANI ---------------- RASHFORD
Struggling to see how he would bench Greenwood though. My God, that doesn't look like a great team, does it?

tomaldinho1

AWB isnt really an option in that system. We'd have to go for Dalot and arguably Telles to supply crosses for 2 of Ronaldo/Cavani/Rashford/Greenwood.
Yh agreed. With all my wisdom as an armchair fan, you can't just sit back and they have an excellent press so we shouldn't play from the back. I'd go 451, flood their midfield and play a bit old fashioned, wide men whipping in crosses for Ronaldo, then Cavani when he tires. AWB and Shaw stay back, that's a solid back four when they aren't trying to push into the midfield and press players. Telles left with Shaw might help contain Salah and he can whip crosses in better than anyone else on that side.

-----------------------Ronaldo---------------------
Telles - Pogba - Fred - McT - Sancho
Shaw ---- Maguire --- Lindelof --- AWB

Snuffkin

It's difficult to get excited about formations. Whoever we pick in midfield is going to be isolated as the team is just not gelling.

MUFC OK

Yh agreed. With all my wisdom as an armchair fan, you can't just sit back and they have an excellent press so we should play from the back. I'd go 451, flood their midfield and play a bit old fashioned, wide men whipping in crosses for Ronaldo, then Cavani when he tires. AWB and Shaw stay back, that's a solid back four when they aren't trying to push into the midfield and press players. Telles left with Shaw might help contain Salah and he can whip crosses in better than anyone else on that side.

-----------------------Ronaldo---------------------
Telles - Pogba - Fred - McT - Sancho
I think AWB could be a good CB in a back 3 however if he can learn not to lunge into tackles he has no right in winning. Against smaller teams we need all the width we can get and fullbacks overlapping to cause overloads and ideally a CM to drop between the CB's.

Andrew7582

How? Cavani presses a lot more, and there's 4 mids in there. But it's not so much the tactical side, but the message it sends to the team, and world.

He's losing the players with each week. If he carries on the same way, then he's just waiting for the inevitable. So he's got to do something drastic here.

What better way than to do the unthinkable. Drop Ronaldo who's probably not a huge fan of him at this point anyway, and he looks a genius if he gets a result.
It might work for this one game but there's no future in it, what does Ole do the game after? He can't leave Ronaldo out permanently, he would completely lose the dressing room as they'll side with Ronaldo over Ole.

MichaelRed

I hope he drops Ronaldo so we can be reminded of how awful and unco-ordinated our press is, even with Cavani, and people can shut up blaming Ronaldo for all of our shortcomings rather than the inept manager we've suffered for 3 years.

Jacob

All we know is that Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo have nothing to contribute with defensively. You cannot defend with 8 men.

Sancho and Greenwood neither to some extent. The only offensive players that have are Cavani and Rashford and maybe Lingard. Wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them start.

estel_manutd

This is how he should line up if he wants to win:

Rashford-------Ronaldo----------Sancho
Pogba----------Fred----------McT

Castia

All we know is that Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo have nothing to contribute with defensively. You cannot defend with 8 men.

Sancho and Greenwood neither to some extent. The only offensive players that have are Cavani and Rashford and maybe Lingard. Wouldn't be surprised to see all three of them start.

If he starts with Cavani, Rashford and Lingard and we no doubt lose there should be fecking riots.

MichaelRed

So statistically 2 of our top 3 pressers? How about how well Pogba maintains a defensive position & defends for France, even in a 2? Let's stop bashing out players when it's so so clear that our issues, offensively & defensively, stem from the manager.

Edit: Just noticed you threw Sancho in there too. This is exactly the kind of ill informed nonsense that needs to stop. Sancho is a very pressing player & always was with Dortmund. It's not a fecking coincidence that Liverpool, Chelsea & City's forwards are good defensively and United are just unlucky that all of our attackers suck at contributing to the defence. Our players would defend just as well as De Bruyne, Foden, Salah etc if they had a good manager.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's gonna be interesting to see how he manages the squad over the next 2 games (not just Liverpool)

'Rest' Ronaldo in either game and you know what the narrative will be

redshaw

A sheepish smile, legs crossed and 11 of Ole's most trusted players and polo mouth sat next to him.

Josh 76

It’s the the tactics which will be key. Playing from the back with AWB, Maguire and Fred will be suicide against them.

Need to get Lingard in the team some how to give the extra protection for Fred. Mctomminy usually plays well in the big games. So I would play them 3. Back 4 kind of picks it self.
Bruno will play so that leaves 2. I would go for Cavani and Rashford.

One thing Klopp is good at is changing things quickly. So Ole better have a plan B for the second half. If he thinks he take on Klopp for 90mins without making changes or change tactics he is having a laugh.

Basically Ole has to gamble before Klopp, even if the game is tight, because Klopp will do sooner or later.

tomaldinho1

I hope he drops Ronaldo so we can be reminded of how awful and unco-ordinated our press is, even with Cavani, and people can shut up blaming Ronaldo for all of our shortcomings rather than the inept manager we've suffered for 3 years.
This is the weirdest myth that's come to light recently, that United were a pressing team pre Ronaldo...

el3mel

De Gea
AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
Scott - Fred - Bruno
Greenwood - Ronaldo - Rashford

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Starting to get sick of this "knowing Ole he will get a result against Liverpool" nonsense. Theres no evidence that will be the case unless we park the bus for 90 mins and hope ride our luck massively. This adage is going to die a death with the run we have and way we are playing.

Shame we can't stick Dan James on the right for his workrate. He'll go for 5 at the back but we'll lose 3-1.
Totally agree. This notion of Ole pulling out big results when he needs them is BS. We are a mess, Pool are a well oiled machine.

Walters_19_MuFc

First of all, we need to match their energy, otherwise a change in formation doesn't matter.

Apart from that, I'd personally like to see us match them up and go with a 433.

Rashford Cavani Greenwood
Fred Matic McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
First of all, we need to match their energy, otherwise a change in formation doesn't matter.

Fred Matic McTominay
De Gea​
I’m very much in the Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo are all tactical problems in their own way camp but dropping all three would take some serious balls :lol:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

Fred Matic McTominay
De Gea​
Probably our best available.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think he is quite likely to make a more radical team selection for the Atalanta game, and then if that goes well he may carry it over to the weekend.

MrSingh2002

If he wins it just delays the inevitable again. He'll probably set up in the worst possible way and possibly the good players we have might bail him out and outperform his bad management.

I hope we win. Even though it means we're more likely to keep Ole this week.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Fred Matic McTominay
De Gea​
Its the right team too I feel, and it will send an outstanding message out to drop Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It might work for this one game but there's no future in it, what does Ole do the game after? He can't leave Ronaldo out permanently, he would completely lose the dressing room as they'll side with Ronaldo over Ole.
Ole's been too soft imo. Crazy as it sounds Ronaldo doesn't really suit our team that well. If he continues to pander to Ronaldo, then he's a gonner anyway imo.

I don't think Ole is going to just let that happen to him. So at least he has a chance of saving his job this way.

el3mel

That's why this signing feels like a huge mistake already. I hate it when I feel we're stuck with a player that must be played no matter what even when it's clear he's a huge tactical problem on the pitch.

Ronaldo will be a huge headache even after Ole leaves because let's be honest, he's 36, his form will only get worse from here, not better, and the next manager will struggle to move him on.

Pavl3n

I’m absolutely convinced that Ole will somehow nick a result against Liverpool as he’s unbelievably good at getting a crucial result right when it matters in huge games after a bad run.

And after his ‘something’s got to give’ comment he’s obviously going to bench 1 or 2 big players.

I’m so curious to see how he lines up against the dippers, what are your predictions?

Midfield 3 with VdB?

Rashford?

Change of formation?
That's how I felt a few years ago when Mourinho was in charge and we faced them.
There's immense pressure on the players and they're cracking under that pressure.
I don't see us getting a result. It will be a narrow loss. Like a 0-1 or 1-2 and we'll hear him talking about fine margins.

I know it's a derby and form has nothing to do with those games, but I just don't see it.

PoTMS

Can a loss be a win? If losing to Liverpool was guaranteed to get Ole out the door in place of someone who knows what they are doing and have us finally start behaving like a big club, then sign me up. Unfortunately though, our club is just incompetence after incompetence and losing to Liverpool will not make the slightest bit of difference.

USREDEVIL

That's how I felt a few years ago when Mourinho was in charge and we faced them.
There's immense pressure on the players and they're cracking under that pressure.
I don't see us getting a result. It will be a narrow loss. Like a 0-1 or 1-2 and we'll hear him talking about fine margins.

I know it's a derby and form has nothing to do with those games, but I just don't see it.
We probably need a fine margins analyst.

peridigm

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McFred
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

easiest 11/11 of the season