How will Solskjær line up against Liverpool?

Abhinav

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McFred
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

easiest 11/11 of the season
Yup, thats what he will go for. For us to have any chance to win, we need Bruno playing 10-15 yards deeper and for Ronaldo to have a massive game. Ideally, I would have liked to have Cavani start instead of Ronaldo but thats just not feasible.

Walters_19_MuFc

I’m very much in the Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo are all tactical problems in their own way camp but dropping all three would take some serious balls :lol:
Haha Ole did say something had to give. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be long term but I'd seriously consider it if I was Ole. I just think we can't afford to have any passengers or players who are loose tactically, as it will really show up against a team like Liverpool.

Legs in midfield, protection in front of the back four and an amazing front three to win us games. It's how Liverpool set up and they've been successful with it for years. Yes, there's certain areas we'd have to improve, such as full back and holding midfield, but I still think it'd do the job.

We've become way too easy to play against of late. That needs to change!

Ole said when he first came in that titles are won with solid foundations and we've had anything but this season.

United Hobbit

Ultra, ultra ultra defensive.

I can see a 0-0, us scraping a win and Ole getting out of jail yet again, or an absolute drubbing

I have a horrid feeling he will try 7 defensive players how he ended the game vs Young Boys (and still lost)

DDG
Telles, Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Varane
Mc T, Matic, Fred,
Bruno
Greenwood

Possibly even the back 5 consist of Lindelof in place of Telles.... and maybe JLingz instead of Matic.... either way, ultra ultra defensive

Hideous, Hideous side, but I can see him doing something so ultra defensive to try and save himself if he's even under pressure

Remember something had to give, maybe that's any hope of excitement....

I'd like to see him take the game to Liverpool. Sides rarely do, and when they do, Liverpool don't always do well. Look at Brentford

Trouble is, our coaching is dodgier than Brentford's....

redshaw

Ultra, ultra ultra defensive.

I can see a 0-0, us scraping a win and Ole getting out of jail yet again, or an absolute drubbing

I have a horrid feeling he will try 7 defensive players how he ended the game vs Young Boys (and still lost)

DDG
Telles, Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Varane
Mc T, Matic, Fred,
Bruno
Greenwood

Hideous, Hideous side, but I can see him doing something so ultra defensive to try and save himself if he's even under pressure

Remember something had to give, maybe that's any hope of excitement....

I'd like to see him take the game to Liverpool. Sides rarely do, and when they do, Liverpool don't always do well. Look at Brentford

Trouble is, our coaching is dodgier than Brentford's....
Sounds like shooting practice for Liverpool.

You're correct in that Ole will probably sacrifice a player as something has to give. I think it will be Pogba on the bench. We'll need the counter attack threat of Rashford as well.

I wonder if he would change to having Ronaldo and Cavani (if available) in a front 2 of a 352 formation.

De Gea
AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw
Fred McTom
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

Could Cavani maybe come on for Ronaldo at a more sensible time of 70ish minutes or maybe sub Greenwood later on, Get Cavani up top with Ronaldo coming in from the left and Rashford move over to the right wing? Rashford has provided some good cross from the right for Cavani to score, I don't really like him there but could be a good option later in the game.

De Gea
AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw
Fred McTom
Rashford Bruno Ronaldo
Cavani

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think he's going to do

DDG
standard Back 4
Mct - Fred
Pogba Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

With cavani off the bench

MUFC OK

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McFred
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

easiest 11/11 of the season
What’s this change that’s oles talking about then? Generally consensus is that it’s a formation change.

MUFC OK

Think he's going to do

DDG
standard Back 4
Mct - Fred
Pogba Bruno Rashford
Ronaldo

With cavani off the bench
He’ll be well aware then greenwood and Rashford started in the FA Cup when we beat them. Think pogba is benched for greenwood and Rashford on the wings, still have a feeling he may go for a 3-5-2.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’ll be well aware then greenwood and Rashford started in the FA Cup when we beat them. Think pogba is benched for greenwood and Rashford on the wings, still have a feeling he may go for a 3-5-2.
Might do. Its all guesswork at this stage, his back is against the wall

RuudTom83

If the forward 3 are not going to track back like their lives depended on it, then there is going to be a very small chance of victory.

So I’d play Lingard and Cavani(if he is fit?) to give the midfield some help.

Sancho now has Rashford for competition and Marcus should rightly be ahead of him in the pecking order.

sukhy

De Gea
AWB-Bailly-Maguire-Lindelof-Shaw
Mctominay-Fred

Bruno

Rashford

Ronaldo

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I hope he drops Ronaldo so we can be reminded of how awful and unco-ordinated our press is, even with Cavani, and people can shut up blaming Ronaldo for all of our shortcomings rather than the inept manager we've suffered for 3 years.
Our press was crap before Ronaldo, some people have got short memories. I remember loads of comments on here about it too, mentioning the fact that we only seem to have 1 player press at a time.

Villarreal was the perfect example of it, they just held the ball as long as needed at the back, wait for 1 man to press, then knock it past him to the free player. Emery knew the score.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The thing that worries me about this game is how knackered we looked Vs Leicester in the second half too. Unless the players had just given up, which might make sense I suppose given the reports that the United dressing room is completely flat now.

I think the Atalanta game is being overlooked too much, too. That could be a tough old game.

MichaelRed

Our press was crap before Ronaldo, some people have got short memories. I remember loads of comments on here about it too, mentioning the fact that we only seem to have 1 player press at a time.

Villarreal was the perfect example of it, they just held the ball as long as needed at the back, wait for 1 man to press, then knock it past him to the free player. Emery knew the score.
Yup. A disjointed press, like we have had for years now, is all down to the manager.

Andrew7582

That's why this signing feels like a huge mistake already. I hate it when I feel we're stuck with a player that must be played no matter what even when it's clear he's a huge tactical problem on the pitch.

Ronaldo will be a huge headache even after Ole leaves because let's be honest, he's 36, his form will only get worse from here, not better, and the next manager will struggle to move him on.
You are right, it's also going to be an issue for the next manager in seasons to come. I think a more tactically astute manager than Ole could find a way to accomodate Ronaldo better but it may not be worth it overall, a difficult problem to deal with.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
4-5-1
---------------------------DDG------------------------------
----AWB------Varane-----Maguire-----Shaw----
---Mason---Fred--Bruno--Mct---Rashford---
--------------------------Cavani----------------------------

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This is the weirdest myth that's come to light recently, that United were a pressing team pre Ronaldo...
We were never a pressing team. However, we've gotten worse.

On a scale of 0 to 10 we were 5 pre-ronaldo, with ronaldo we are 3 (specially when pogba is also on the pitch).

Hawks2008

5 at the back, McFred, Lingard all to feature with no less than 9 players behind the ball to try scrape a result at home..

United DNA

Daengophile

Ole should sit in the canteen with a nice cup of tea and get Keane in the dug-out to scream any time someone does something either stupid or useless

Micky Targaryen

This has a jammy 1-0 victory written all over it. Greenwood comes up clutch again.

I will undoubtedly be delighted with the win of course. But I'm certainly not gonna be claiming some nonsense like Ole is tactically better than Klopp.

SAFMUTD

Back 5 with McFred in front. Ole is scared the result might get so ugly that it will increase the preassure so he'll do what he has always done against top teams sit back and counterattack.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
This has got 1-0 Rashy written all over it, buying Ole another 6 months of mediocrity.
Not this time, imo. Pool are a different team than last season and we're falling apart. I doubt Ole can fix that, especially with a difficult CL game in between

Chicharo

Some of you are actually serious about benching Ronaldo?
The only way we can get something from this game is to score (and probably not just once), because Salah and the others will tear our "defense" apart

Jimmah

I hope Cavani starts, could do with him putting in a proper shift which is needed against Liverpool, Ronaldo floating around up top on his own isn't going to get a result - he'll be isolated and frustrated all game