How will this footballing decade be remembered? (and what's next?)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
1980s - Domination of Liverpool, start of the end for English hooliganism
1990s - Domination of Manchester United/Ferguson, Sky era, Premier League
2000s - Fergie's domination II, emergence of super rich ownership, birth of the special one
2010s - Super rich dominate football, inflated transfer prices, boom of Premier League, Pep Guardiola

2020s?

I think the 20s will see bubble burst for football in some way, whether that's the Premier League's dominance, whether it's transfer prices peaking or whether it's player power growing too strong. Something will see the current unsustainable model bend. I think we are heading into a decade where the globalisation of the game increases, by the end of the next decade English football will see a game hosted in another country. I also think Brexit will have a negative effect on the Premier League.

What do you think?

RedEric7

Supports
United
Real Madrid's 3 in a row champions league triumph will be one of the stand out parts of this decade considering that prior to that feat no team had even done it back to back! Don't think we'll see that happen again for a good while

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Emergence of a european super league.
Pay per game TV or club specific TV season tickets.
End of the EFL Cup.
Average age of squads coming down further.

Mike Smalling

Emergence of a european super league.
Pay per game TV or club specific TV season tickets.
End of the EFL Cup.
Average age of squads coming down further.
While I would be a big fan of this, would it ever be allowed by the FA? Unless some sort of revenue redistribution was implemented, it would surely just create a larger financial gap between the clubs with global fanbases and those without.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Te decade that players become so rich they bought their own football clubs and it became a 1on1 sport.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Last 10 years, greed and the super money era.

Next decade will be the bubble unwinding and the financial consequences of that.

Hopefully cheap streaming where all games can be watched for reasonable monthly fee and reduced ticket prices will be the ultimate conclusion.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
While I would be a big fan of this, would it ever be allowed by the FA? Unless some sort of revenue redistribution was implemented, it would surely just create a larger financial gap between the clubs with global fanbases and those without.
It is possible it will come around when the TV bubble bursts again. Sky, BT, Amazon and all of them will surely feel the burdon eventually (or atleast see the unviability of it all) - with the rise of streams and all that - the money broadcasters are paying will not be worth it.

Pablo76

Either a reduction in PL teams or a European super league, possibly both.