How will WC affect our season?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm not worried about these players except for possible injuries:

Rashford - he'll be a sub and probably won't even play in some matches.
Antony - like Rashford
Maguire - he needs playing time anyway
Ronaldo - we don't care
Fred - needs playing time and I would be surprised if he starts for Brazil

I'm worried about:

Casemiro - He is 30 and he'll likely need a 2 week rest after the WC.
Shaw - He'll need a rest if England go deep. Malacia should get lots of training over the next month and be prepared to play a lot after the WC so this may not be too critical
Ericksen - He'll also need a rest after the WC. He already looks a little fatigued so I hope Denmark doesn't make it out of group play
Dalot and Bruno - They are a little fatigued already so the WC could really hurt United. I hope Ronaldo is a bust and Portugal are out early.
Martinez - He'll be a star for Argentina and will need a rest after the WC
Varane - Don't know how much he'll play with his injury

If the above players play 5 or more matches, we could be in for a long winter. This will make us more desperate for for a striker and CM in January.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Won’t have to worry about our English players, probably get knocked out in the round of 16. Only players we need to worry about is martinez and our Brazilians. Think they’ll both go deep. Varane won’t play much. At least I hope he won’t. Wish he didn’t go to be honest. We can do with a fresh and fit Varane for the second halve of the season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is Martinez even nailed on as a starter for Argentina?
Should be after the way he’s going this season… who even are there other CB? Can’t think at the top of my head. Does otamendi still play for them?

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It will be similar for most of the top 6 and beyond I’d imagine. It will benefit the teams near the bottom though for a few weeks. Although the premier league from top to bottom every team has international players these days.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Disrupting regular season is never good, especially when United doesn't have a squad fairly immune to injuries & stamina complications just yet.

Brake could give EtH some time to think of new strategy, so perhaps there will be a proper response.

Red For Ever

In support of our players, I would love to see one or more win the World Cup, ( except for One )
But in support of United, I hope they are all knocked out early, and get a break before coming back

UpWithRivers

We were fkd after the Euros and we had a bad start both at the beginning of the season and when we restarted after the Queen died. So I worry even though we have Burnley, Notts forest, Wolves and Bournemouth which seems winnable on paper

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I hope Ronaldo is a bust and Portugal are out early.
I keep reading this on the thread about the TalkTV interview, someone even said he hopes he gets a bad knee injury 5 minutes into Portugal's first game.

But actually, it would be better for United if Portugal do well and Ronaldo does well - pretty unlikely on his recent performances, although I think most of us agree even the best international side is no-where near as good as any of say the top-6 PL sides who can make sure every position has quality plus they play together and train together, so much more.

If Portugal do well and he scores a few decent goals it will improve your chances of moving him on in January, because again I keep reading about "he should never play for United again" or "rip-up his contract" but that won't happen because a) his lawyers will be all over it (and he can pay for the top, top lawyers but mainly b) The Glazer(s) still want Ronaldo at the club because it makes them feel like they own a prestigious club if they have one of the top-2 in the world on the playing staff.

UpWithRivers

I keep reading this on the thread about the TalkTV interview, someone even said he hopes he gets a bad knee injury 5 minutes into Portugal's first game.

But actually, it would be better for United if Portugal do well and Ronaldo does well - pretty unlikely on his recent performances, although I think most of us agree even the best international side is no-where near as good as any of say the top-6 PL sides who can make sure every position has quality plus they play together and train together, so much more.

If Portugal do well and he scores a few decent goals it will improve your chances of moving him on in January, because again I keep reading about "he should never play for United again" or "rip-up his contract" but that won't happen because a) his lawyers will be all over it (and he can pay for the top, top lawyers but mainly b) The Glazer(s) still want Ronaldo at the club because it makes them feel like they own a prestigious club if they have one of the top-2 in the world on the playing staff.
The Glaziers will want nothing to do with him after he keeps saying the club has stagnated and been the same for over 10 plus years. All him banging in goals will do is bring out the Ronaldo fan boys against Ten Haag and the club and how they mistreated him and they should apologize and he should be first in the team from now on. Every time we don't score the match threads will be full of 'Told you. We should have kept Ronaldo'.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Nah sod that. Would be great seeing his international career end with a whimper.

Kag

Casemiro and Fred will play a lot of minutes and are likely to be in the business end of the competition.

Varane, Bruno, Maguire and Shaw could well play every game and go the distance, too.

I wouldn’t have thought our other players will get much of a sniff, or if they do (see Eriksen), hopefully they’re out of action after the group stages

sugar_kane

To really assess how it will affect our season we need to understand how much it's gonna impact our top four competitors too which gets really complicated.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/world-cup-2022-by-the-numbers-premier-league-leads-the-way-bayern-munich-top-represented-club-team/#:~:text=The Premier League is known,number boasted by La Liga.

This site reckons we're second after City with the most players going to the World Cup, and most of those players are from our first 11 (Maguire, Malacia & Ronaldo are the exceptions). I suspect with City it's more of a mix of squad and first 11 but couldn't say for certain without listing them out (which I can't be arsed with)

I'm surprised Liverpool aren't in the list of clubs with the most players going to the WC, although Spurs & Chelsea are. Of those, it will depend again how many of those are in the first 11 of the PL team but also the WC team.

Then of course it depends how far each country goes in the World Cup, a brief look at the groups suggests most of our player's countries will get to the Round of 16 which means they could be playing up til the 6th December.

England / Netherlands I reckon will go out in the QF (9th/10th December) but Brazil/Argentina/France/Portugal could all go to the semis which would guarantee they play til the 17th/18th (which is the final/3rd place play off) which accounts for about 7 of our first 11!

Newcastle will likely be a massive beneficiary in terms of players being rested, but it could potentially harm their momentum as well.

I'm hoping Ten Hag can drill a makeshift first 11 which features no WC players over the break. Unfortunately we don't have a ton of players who don't feature, and aside from those below it's slim pickings:

Sancho, De Gea, Martial, Lindelof, McTominay, Garnacho, DVB. Maybe Malacia/Maguire/Shaw if their countries do go out in the QF.

gerdm07

I didn't realize Macia is on the Dutch squad. Is he a sure starter?

gza the genius

Every top club will be in the same situation. If we can get through with minimal injuries and have the extra time off to get Martial and Sancho fit I think we'll go in to the second half of the season better off than before the world cup. Playing without Antony, Martial and Sancho was really hurting us the last couple of weeks.

devil99

To really assess how it will affect our season we need to understand how much it's gonna impact our top four competitors too which gets really complicated.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/world-cup-2022-by-the-numbers-premier-league-leads-the-way-bayern-munich-top-represented-club-team/#:~:text=The Premier League is known,number boasted by La Liga.

This site reckons we're second after City with the most players going to the World Cup, and most of those players are from our first 11 (Maguire, Malacia & Ronaldo are the exceptions). I suspect with City it's more of a mix of squad and first 11 but couldn't say for certain without listing them out (which I can't be arsed with)

I'm surprised Liverpool aren't in the list of clubs with the most players going to the WC, although Spurs & Chelsea are. Of those, it will depend again how many of those are in the first 11 of the PL team but also the WC team.

Then of course it depends how far each country goes in the World Cup, a brief look at the groups suggests most of our player's countries will get to the Round of 16 which means they could be playing up til the 6th December.

England / Netherlands I reckon will go out in the QF (9th/10th December) but Brazil/Argentina/France/Portugal could all go to the semis which would guarantee they play til the 17th/18th (which is the final/3rd place play off) which accounts for about 7 of our first 11!

Newcastle will likely be a massive beneficiary in terms of players being rested, but it could potentially harm their momentum as well.

I'm hoping Ten Hag can drill a makeshift first 11 which features no WC players over the break. Unfortunately we don't have a ton of players who don't feature, and aside from those below it's slim pickings:

Sancho, De Gea, Martial, Lindelof, McTominay, Garnacho, DVB. Maybe Malacia/Maguire/Shaw if their countries do go out in the QF.
So it is going to be Spain, Germany, Croatia and Uruguay/Belgium for semi final spots then

cyril C

WC will affect every clubs but also depend on individual country's progress. If bye bye after 2 weeks, then all will have a good rest of 2 weeks, at long as no injury.

Worst case will be the semi-finalist, Club will have to arrange a self-sacrifice break. Hard to say which country will progress, but Casemiro might be a subject of concern.

Bondi77

If England win then who gives a feck?
The World Cup comes around every four years and if you get to see your own country win it in your lifetime then an ordinary season of club football is a small price to pay in my humble opinion.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Should benefit us to be honest, we get back a fresh varane (Althouse perhaps an unmotivated one) and I don't think any of our major players is going to stay there long.

Portugal should in theory go out early so not much fatigue for Bruno and dalot and Martinez is no starter for Argentina bar an unseen injury also England won't go far but even if they did our only starter that Southgate regularly plays is Shaw so no biggie.

The player im most worried about is Casemiro, Brazil are one of the favorites and I think he's gonna start every game so o certainly hope he isn't knocker by the end of it.

I think the team that benefits the most from this atypical schedule is arsenal, minimal amount of players present so they should be extremely fresh when the time comes while city and the likes will have a ton of fatigued players around.

Rojofiam

Highly likely to be on the bench behind Otamendi and Romero from pretty much every article I've read.
That's like starting Tuanzebe ahead of Martínez :lol: They have one of, if not the best ball playing centre back itw and 34 year old Otamendi is ahead of him :houllier:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Given that our key players (Casemiro, Antony, Martinez, Varane, Bruno, Dalot, Rashford, Eriksen) all come from teams likely to progress furthest it's not going to be good for us at all compared to our top 4 rivals.

Even more so given the extra games against Barcelona and Leeds we need to fit in.

Someone

Something
Most of our players won't make it to the final and we then have a league cup cup game, so we'll probably have a chance to rest those that need rest.

My only worries is injuries. If we all our players return in one piece I'll be happy.

gerdm07

Speak for yourself mate.
Any English fan I have ever met would love dearly to lift that trophy.
I'm from the US which can't win and I would be elated if England win. However, I wouldn't trade top 4 for United for an England win.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Any English fan I have ever met would love dearly to lift that trophy.

But not every English person is a national team fan. I’m English and can’t wait for the whole thing to be over.

Bondi77

I'm from the US which can't win and I would be elated if England win. However, I wouldn't trade top 4 for United for an England win.
How would that trade ever take place anyway??
Just out of interest....why would you be elated if England win being American?

gerdm07

How would that trade ever take place anyway??
Just out of interest....why would you be elated if England win being American?
England win but Rashford and Maguire pick up injuries and Shaw is drained and needs a break. If something like that happens, United's chances of top 4 would be low.

I follow Man Utd and the EPL and I don't follow the MLS. An England win would be exciting for the world of football. BTW, whoever wins the group, US or England, could have the easiest path to the semis.

BorisManUtd

If it causes injuries to our important players, it'll affect our season badly.

Bondi77

England win but Rashford and Maguire pick up injuries and Shaw is drained and needs a break. If something like that happens, United's chances of top 4 would be low.

I follow Man Utd and the EPL and I don't follow the MLS. An England win would be exciting for the world of football. BTW, whoever wins the group, US or England, could have the easiest path to the semis.
If England win the World Cup it will be for the betterment of Manchester United as the players involved would have tasted success at the highest level which makes them more accomplished players.
In all seriousness would you have rathered Brazil or France or whoever not win trophies in the slim chance that a Manchester United player involved could have picked up an injury in the process??
This is the World game of football and the pinnacle of that is the World Cup.

Flying high

I expect the manager will be pretty happy for a break in what has been a hectic season. He's not under extreme pressure this year, but he is being very closely scrutinised, naturally. This break should give him a chance to breath. To learn from his experiences and mistakes.

As much as he'll have had a plan before starting the job, he must feel like he's been reacting to problems most of the season so far.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hope most of them crash out early, especiall those who looked tired as they played so often like Eriksen

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Casemiro, Fred, Varane, Shaw, Maguire, Eriksen, Ronaldo, Shaw, Bruno are starters for their countries. Martinez possibly. Dalot, Antony and Rashford will have squad player minutes.

I think we'll be ok generally, Eriksen will likely go long enough that he'll need a bit of a break though.

gerdm07

Erickson will get some rest and that's good for us. It looks like Dalot also is getting a nice break.