How would you build around Eusebio?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Having had him in the current draft I watched quite a bit of him. He seems somewhat of a unique player - he drops deep dribbles and shoots but doesn't really pass much or offer much in terms of off the ball movement. So I was wondering how everyone would build around him?

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I will build team around him but base on modern football, that means I will not use 4-2-4 which is considered to be his best formation for him. I will use 4-3-3 instead of 4-2-4 to gain advantages in midfield and possessions, which are very important in present days. In fact, Eusebio could be built in a lot of different ways and formations ( both back 3 and 4).

-Iniesta and Falcao have excellent playmaking skill, which is very necessary in this set up and both have played supporting roles for their biggest stars in their teams. Iniesta for Messi and Falcao for Zico. Both have decent work rate, which require a lot in modern football too(especially 4-3-3 ).

-Benzema would be happy to play as Eusebio's supporter or side kick, he had experienced playing this role for almost 10 years with Ronaldo. His football intelligence and unselfishness would make him get along well with Eusebio.

-Balanced fullbacks, Maldini and Carlos Alberto. Maldini will be more defensive oriented in this set up and the reason I choose Maldini is in real life 60s Benfica's left-back Fernando Cruz was more of a defensive full-back. On the right side, Carlos Alberto will be more of a balanced/attacking fullback , inspiration to pick Carlos Alberto was from Dominico Cavem 60s Benfica's fullback who was more of an attacking fullback but still provided defensive solid.

-Gk and Cb: It's up to you.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I will build team around him but base on modern football, that means I will not use 4-2-4 which is considered to be his best formation for him. I will use 4-3-3 instead of 4-2-4 to gain advantages in midfield and possessions, which are very important in present days. In fact, Eusebio could be built in a lot of different ways and formations ( both back 3 and 4).

Didn't see that before. :D Lovely!

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@General_Elegancia

I agree with that. That's pretty much what I had come up with. A wide forward and selfless CF to provide a lot of space for him to drive into. I would prefer a more attacking RB than C. Alberto to allow Eusebio more freedom to cut in, probably Cafu but apart from that I think it is spot on assuming Iniesta is happy to play a more direct game (I think he is but just a caveat to those who aren't convinced - you could replace him with Charlton for a more traditional direct option)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
@General_Elegancia

I agree with that. That's pretty much what I had come up with. A wide forward and selfless CF to provide a lot of space for him to drive into. I would prefer a more attacking RB than C. Alberto to allow Eusebio more freedom to cut in, probably Cafu but apart from that I think it is spot on assuming Iniesta is happy to play a more direct game (I think he is but just a caveat to those who aren't convinced - you could replace him with Charlton for a more traditional direct option)
Falcao, Charlton, Stoichkov, Eusebio..

Himannv

He seems most dangerous centrally so I’d play him there. He fit in nicely in the front 3 of a Christmas tree, where you have someone alongside him who will draw players and then release the ball to him and someone up front who will make sure the CBS don’t step out and stop him too early. I think that position gives him the option to drift wide if he wants.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Old school:

......... Henry. ... Ronaldo..... Villa..........
...................Johann Cruyff.. Eusebio .......
................. Igor Netto ........ Voronin.........
Paolo Maldini .... Franco Baresi .... Djalma Santos
That team will win my vote in almost all games for the opponent

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
....and mine in almost none. Football bloody hell.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Old school:

......... Henry. ... Ronaldo..... Villa..........
...................Johann Cruyff.. Eusebio .......
................. Igor Netto ........ Voronin.........
Paolo Maldini .... Franco Baresi .... Djalma Santos
Great idea, such a very interesting line-up. I could see this team score 10 goals in some matches.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Christmas Tree:

........................ Seeler .....................
..............Baggio .............. Eusebio ............
....Edgar Davids ... Redondo ... Neeskens
Brehme ...... Ruud Krol ...... Nesta ....... Cafu
Much better than your first diabolical effort! That's a brilliant team.

Enigma_87

You know who
Christmas Tree:

........................ Seeler .....................
..............Baggio .............. Eusebio ............
....Edgar Davids ... Redondo ... Neeskens
Brehme ...... Ruud Krol ...... Nesta ....... Cafu
That's a lot better. The first effort was just :houllier:

To me the best use of him would probably be Henry's type of role in the Invincibles.

He either works as a lone striker or inside right/left, but probably one of the strikers in good old 4-4-2 is my best bet.

Šjor Bepo

tigana for neeskens and its a great team

Šjor Bepo

I actually felt Schweini was the best fit there.
yeah he would be fine as well, no idea how much defensive workrate Eusebio offers and with Cafu bombing up you need someone to cover and i dont rate Neeskens defensively.