How would you rank the treble winning teams of this century?

matbezlima

My ranking:

1-Bayern 2012/2013

2-Barcelona 2008/2009

3-Barcelona 2014/2015

4-Internazionale 2009/2010.

At least in modern football, I don't think that a team was as consistently unstoppable and destroying the adversaries in the course of a season as Bayern in 2012/2013. Pep's Barcelona was technically superior, but their thin squad combined with Guardiola rotating the team very little always meant that their level of performance dropped significantly in the second half of all their seasons, specially in February. Coming back to Bayern, their versatility was also incredible. And their amazing victories in that season were far more than the games against Barcelona. In the end, we need to go back to Ajax 1972 and Celtic 1967 to find trebles of this level. Despite not winning the UCL more than once, the Bayern of the first half of the 2000s deserves to be remembered as a legendary team and one of the best ever.

It was really tight for me to choose between Barcelona 2008-2009 and Barcelona 2014-2015. The former won due to being the first season of the best team ever, Pep's Barcelona (though they would improve in next seasons, specially in the 2010-2011 season) and because they were amazing throughout the whole season. Barcelona 2014-2015 only really clicked together with the 3-1 victory against Atletico Madrid in 11 January 2015, 18th round of La Liga, their best performance in the season so far. From then on, they were truly amazing, a blast to watch in all competitions in the rest of the season. To make it clear: Barcelona was not bad in the first half of the season, but Suárez was really late to play for the first time for Barcelona due to his ban after World Cup and took awhile for him to recover his fitness and feel comfortable within team. Luís Enrique also could not decide how the team should play, the better tactics and the starting XI. This deficiency showed up in Barcelona's games against the best opponents, such as Real Madrid in La Liga and PSG in UCL. The defeat against Real Sociedad in the start of the year was seemingly dooming Barcelona's hopes for the season, but then everything clicked together later. MSN was the best attacking trio I ever saw, their chemistry and magic, their crazy skills, their telepathic combinations and triangles, they were unbelieavable.

About Internazionale 2009/2010, a truly historic and great team, often underrated, I just could not put it ahead the other treble winning teams above. I recommend Football Made Simple's video about that amazing and often misunderstood Internazionale team.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Bayern 2013 were on a mission. They finished with a runners up treble in 2012, and were looking for blood.

Never seen a team with that much determination. They've got the #1 spot.

The two Barca teams were close, and neither were the best Barca team of the century, but 2015 slightly edges it. I can't get past the Chelsea scandal of the 2009 team.

Inter not surprisingly takes the last spot.

1. Bayern 2013
2. Barca 2015
3. Barca 2009
4. Inter 2010

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona side of 2008/09 was great but nowhere near the bayern or 14/15 side discussed here

Seriously

RedCurry

When these types of topics are discussed my thinking is - which team out of the top two would win if they played out a hypothetical best of 15 games. I think the Barca 2008/09 team would beat any team I’ve ever watched. It would be them followed by the Bayern 2012/13 team.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
1. Bayern 2013 has to be the most complete (and seemingly invulnerable) treble winning team of this century. Their victory against a weakened Barcelona is often overplayed as a watershed moment and they had a couple of iffy performances over the course of the season, but there's no denying that they were brilliant in terms of individual quality — with Neuer being sumptuous at the back, Boateng entering a phase which was the best for a German centerback since Kohler, Alaba shunting up and down the left flank, Lahm and Schweinsteiger being close to their peak, Martínez making an almost immediate difference in the engine room, Robbery being Robbery — the most majestic wing tandem of at least the last 15 years, Müller interpreting space so expertly that he later had a role classified after him, even Mandzukić and Dante played a big part and very extremely effective. Then of course, was the mentality and desire — you got the sense that Bayern ambushed the ball like predators instead of waiting for it — in possession, while pressing, while attacking, while defending — and had tunnel vision after the Champions League final disappointments vs. Internazionale in 2010, and Chelsea in 2012 (excruciatingly at the Allianz Arena). Never before and probably never since have premier attackers like Robben or Ribéry sacrificed so much and had a better appetite to work their socks off for the team.
:drool:

And then there were Heynckes' evolved coaching methods (partly inspired by the Klopp's back-to-back Bundesliga winning gengenpressers) and fatherly-figure man management...
Acknowledging this quality, Sacchi said of the attitude instilled in his side after the Juventus victory: “The difference between the Bavarians and Juventus was the conscious of the collective – a difficult value in a country such as ours that is primarily individualistic.” It’s possible that the German nature lends itself to cordial relations, yet no one utilised it like Heynckes.
https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...d-mind-behind-bayern-munichs-loyal-innovator/

2. Then Barcelona 2015 — there was something missing with certain departments even thought they had a variety of tools and seemed to have more meat in the central areas. The collective seemed stacked with quality but not as coherent/symbiotic/patient as in the past under Guardiola...infact, and this will sound bizarre — they had the characteristics/flavor of contemporary Madrid teams. Didn't control matches or suffocate the opposition as effectively, the midfield was starting to crack with the decline of the most influential midfield puppet-master of post-modern football — and Barcelona would become increasingly independent of its dominance in the years to come with an increased reliance on long balls and counter attacks (which made sense as Enrique was more of a multi-purpose shuttler is contrast with Pep's up-tempo passing regista role in their respective playing days), but what an deadly and entertaining trident to carve open the opposition — 3 of the 4-5 best forwards in the world at worst...operating on a similarish wavelength once they got going, probably the greatest combined set of attackers Barcelona has ever had and one of the absolute greatest in all of football. Capable of tormenting any team past or present on their day, if we're being honest.

3. Barcelona 2009 would be third, marginally ahead of José's boys. A team that was revolutionary in a lot of ways, but in the primordial stage of its All-Time great peak where it evidenced a level of dominance that was matched by only Sacchi's Milan for post-modern football. Individually very good but not as complete or machine-like as Bayern in all phases of the game as Pep's methods were still not fully absorbed and implemented at optimal level with automatism, Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets were not fully synchronized even though Xavi had a prestigious platform following the 2008 EURO success with Aragonés, the carousel of Henry-Eto'o-Messi was great with the older heads putting their egos aside for a while but Villa-Messi-Pedro was even greater despite being an apparent step down in terms of name/brand value, Messi himself was mesmerizing but yet to reach peak-performance standards as the successor to Cruyff, the clockwork positional play and movement (both on and off the ball) was not perfected, et cetera.

4. Internazionale 2010 would be fourth, despite beating the foremost team of the era — very good and resilient with a ton of exceptional/seasoned performers in Maicon, Lúcio-Samuel, Cambiasso, Sneijder, Milito, Eto'o in a wide sacrificial role, but a triumph of will over anything else (cynical approach notwithstanding), and the absolute best a lot of them had to offer with Mourinho exorcising the demons of his unceremonious ousting from Chelsea to re-establish himself as the Special One and a perpetually underwhelming Internazionale organisation overcoming its status as failures of the post-modern game to win Ol' Big Ears after a 45 year drought.

That final Champions League stretch, in particular, with the clinic at San Siro and the 10-man heroics at Camp Nou and the effortless dismantling of Bayern at the Bernabéu, was name-on-the-trophy type magic. An emotionally draining affair against that backdrop and Massimo Moratti's desperation, and Zanetti finally basking in glory after fruitlessly toiling away and “wasting his prime” at a club that just couldn't catch a break.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
As I said another thread, the Bayern treble was clearly the most dominant of any that I've seen, with 46 wins out of 54 matches in all competitions, and also the most technically and tactically complete team out of any of the treble winning squads.

They averaged the 2nd highest possession and past completion statistics in Europe after Barcelona. They had the ability to press high up the pitch, or sit deeper and spring rapid counter-backs. It was like they had an ideal combination of skill, speed and strength. Boateng and Dante man-marked very well, and were shielded by the incredibly effective Martinez-Schweingster double pivot.

For much of the early part of the season, they had the likes of Robben (with Kroos playing in the centre and Muller on the right), Gomez, Luiz Gustavo, Shaqiri, Van Buyten and Rafinha etc on their substitute bench which are nice back-up options to have. I think that Badstuber was injured for much of the season.

Even though Bayern had that scare against Arsenal in 2012/2013, they still created plenty of chances in the 2nd leg in Munich (which they were clearly overly complacent going into), and were definitely the better team over the 2 legs, so they weren't lucky to go through.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Just throwing it out there, but Barcelona 2015 is the only one of those not to need the away goals rule to go through in the Champions League (from memory)

Edit - and Inter got through without using away goals as well apparently.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Just throwing it out there, but Barcelona 2015 is the only one of those not to need the away goals rule to go through in the Champions League (from memory)
Inter in 2009/2010 didn't as well. They beat Chelsea home and away in the 2nd round, CSKA Moscow home and away in the quarters, and Barcelona 3-2 on aggregate in the semis. A very impressive achievement for Inter to beat Chelsea who went on to win the double in England that season, the defending champions Barcelona who went on to retain their La Liga title, and Bayern who had won the double in Germany and were also going for the treble in the final. All of the teams participating in 2010 and 2015 Champions League finals were looking to complete the treble. In 1999, Bayern were also looking to complete the treble, although going into the CL final they hadn't played their domestic cup final against Werder Bremen yet.

Speaking of Barcelona in 2014/2015, their victory over Man City at the Camp Nou is arguably the most one-sided win by a one-goal margin that I've seen (at least in the Champions League). Messi despite not scoring was unplayable and only Joe Hart's heroics prevented an absolute drubbing for City.

Last edited:

1-Barcelona 2008/2009 - I would put them up there with early 90s Milan as the most dominant side I have ever seen. We were a brilliant side in 2009 and they embarrassed us.

2-Bayern 2012/2013 - Also a brilliant side but being able to treat their league as a training game makes it hard to say they were up there with Pep's Barcelona.

3-Internazionale 2009/2010 - they were good enough to do a number on the best team many people had ever seen.

4-Barcelona 2014/2015 - such an easy route to the CL in what was already a weak period makes it hard to put them any higher.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
1-Barcelona 2008/2009 - I would put them up there with early 90s Milan as the most dominant side I have ever seen. We were a brilliant side in 2009 and they embarrassed us.

2-Bayern 2012/2013 - Also a brilliant side but being able to treat their league as a training game makes it hard to say they were up there with Pep's Barcelona.

3-Internazionale 2009/2010 - they were good enough to do a number on the best team many people had ever seen.

4-Barcelona 2014/2015 - such an easy route to the CL in what was already a weak period makes it hard to put them any higher.
They did play a Dortmund in the final, so clearly the German league wasn't that weak.

They did play a Dortmund in the final, so clearly the German league wasn't that weak.
They finished 25 points ahead of them in the league.

If you remember there were some really strange teams who made it to the CL knockouts that year and some very odd games. We always say how we were robbed in the Madrid game because there was such a good chance to win it that year. It was not one of the competitions better seasons.

Who you play makes a big difference. I class Barcelona as the best in this list partly because they beat a great Chelsea team and us to win their treble, just as our own treble was against a who's who of European football.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Convenient that you make it this century, when United did it in 1998/9.
Aye, I had to think about it for a second, before i realised why we weren't there :lol:

On a side note, say that stupid Portsmouth FA Cup result didn't happy (still seething :mad:), where would United 07/08 go in this list if we had gone on to do the treble?

Champagne Football

I'd go for Bayern 2013. They had the worlds best manager in Jupp Heynckes. He was the Klopp of his time. His teams were simply unbeatable even if he was not spending on a par with other giant clubs.

His Bayern teams would never have let that great Barca team dominate them in the way Barca dominated us in the finals in 2009 and 2011.

Blackwidow

That 12/13 team had a phenomenal bench and with Heynckes a coach that even if he had a clear starting 11 kept everybody happy. Van Buyten, Tymoschchuk, Rafinha and Pizarro were incredible cheerleaders from the bench that did their job leading the mood of the other bench players and that were delivering on the pitch when they were needed! I remember that Heynckes already in autumn drove around the area in midweek with his second team players and players coming back from injuries and did matches against the third and fourth league teams of the area. Lahm and Schweinsteiger did not start any Bundesliga matches from the win of the league until May - the others of the starting team seldom played more than 45 minutes.

After the nightmare of the season before you could see with the months how they tried to not make the mistakes again they did the season before. The season before they were as great home - but lost the away matches. They concentrated too much onto the left side - now with Alaba as left full back and Lahm on the right again everything was much more balanced. It was not everything great from the start of the season - but it felt better and better with every month and at the end everything just went the way it had to.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I do think that the Barcelona treble in 2014/2015 was more impressive than their 2008/2009 one.

That season, they played 60 matches in all competitions, won 50, drew 4 and lost 6, so they were more dominant than I initially thought, even though I think Bayern were still more dominant in 2012/2013.

They beat a strong Real Madrid team to win their La Liga title, with both teams finishing with more than 90 points. Ronaldo had his best ever scoring season in 2014/2015 with 48 goals in La Liga and 61 overall. After Barcelona won that crucial Clasico in March, Real Madrid had 9 wins and 1 draw from their remaining 10 games in La Liga, so they were a big threat. Plus from September until the New Year, Real Madrid won 22 consecutive matches in all competitions. After that defeat to Moyes's Real Sociedad just after the New Year, Barcelona certainly regrouped when Enrique settled on a regular starting line-up and on playing Suarez in the centre and Messi on the right, and they won 18 out of their next 20 matches in the league.The victory over Atletico Madrid with all 3 forwards scoring, and that famous celebration photo, certainly set the scene for the rest of the season.

They swept through the Copa Del Rey winning every match, including beating Atletico Madrid home and away in the semis. And in the Champions League they won 11 matches out of 13, and winning knockout ties/games against Man City, PSG, Bayern and Juve (who were going for their own treble) is impressive no matter how you look at it. I always thought that Guardiola got his tactics spot on for Bayern in the 1st leg at the Camp Nou. But the problem is when you come up against a front 3 like that in such ridiculous form with one of the best players that has ever lived looking unplayable, plus you have injury problems yourself (no Robben, Ribery and Alaba and rushing Lewandowski back), it is always likely to be a struggle.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'd go Bayern. But that Bayern side weren't as good as Barca 2010/11 imo. Just that they didn't win the treble.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Aye, I had to think about it for a second, before i realised why we weren't there :lol:

On a side note, say that stupid Portsmouth FA Cup result didn't happy (still seething :mad:), where would United 07/08 go in this list if we had gone on to do the treble?
Same :lol:

Somewhere in the mix... of all the sides mentioned in the OP we probably had the best domestic competition.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He had to really otherwise it would have been a pointless discussion. Everyone with a brain would have United number one.
Bayern 12/13 over 98/99. Don't think any team has been as dominant as Bayern were over that one season, also defeating the best teams from other major leagues with ease.

matbezlima

1. Bayern 2013 has to be the most complete (and seemingly invulnerable) treble winning team of this century. Their victory against a weakened Barcelona is often overplayed as a watershed moment and they had a couple of iffy performances over the course of the season, but there's no denying that they were brilliant in terms of individual quality — with Neuer being sumptuous at the back, Boateng entering a phase which was the best for a German centerback since Kohler, Alaba shunting up and down the left flank, Lahm and Schweinsteiger being close to their peak, Martínez making an almost immediate difference in the engine room, Robbery being Robbery — the most majestic wing tandem of at least the last 15 years, Müller interpreting space so expertly that he later had a role classified after him, even Mandzukić and Dante played a big part and very extremely effective. Then of course, was the mentality and desire — you got the sense that Bayern ambushed the ball like predators instead of waiting for it — in possession, while pressing, while attacking, while defending — and had tunnel vision after the Champions League final disappointments vs. Internazionale in 2010, and Chelsea in 2012 (excruciatingly at the Allianz Arena). Never before and probably never since have premier attackers like Robben or Ribéry sacrificed so much and had a better appetite to work their socks off for the team.

And then there were Heynckes' evolved coaching methods (partly inspired by the Klopp's back-to-back Bundesliga winning gengenpressers) and fatherly-figure man management...

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...d-mind-behind-bayern-munichs-loyal-innovator/
Any team has a few iffy games in their season, Bayern had as few iffy games as possible. Even prime Guardiola's Barcelona did not have as few iffy games, mainly due to little start XI rotation causing a drop of perfornance in the second half of the season. While Bayern's victory over Barcelona is a little over-played, Bayern's convincing victories against Juventus in the quarter-finals aren't talked about enough.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Didnt the barca side beat all the champions of the other top leagues that year 2014/15 ?

Bayern 12/13 over 98/99. Don't think any team has been as dominant as Bayern were over that one season, also defeating the best teams from other major leagues with ease.
Are you sure about that? This was their road to the Champions League:

Valencia
BATE Borisov
Lille
Arsenal
Juventus
Barcelona (first season without Pep)
Dortmund

Pretty easy lineup if you ask me.

For reference in 99 we had Bayern x2, Barcelona, Brondby, Inter and Juventus (at a time when Serie A was stacked). Remove Brondby and that was pretty much the best 4 teams in Europe.

matbezlima

Valencia
BATE Borisov
Lille
Arsenal
Juventus
Dortmund

The KO was good/decent at least

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Didnt the barca side beat all the champions of the other top leagues that year 2014/15 ?
I think Chelsea won in 2014/15 but yes they did beat the champions of Italy, Germany and France that season. But I think that differentiates Bayern from them is just how easily Bayern beat all the league champions they faced.

Barca I think lost their away legs v Bayern and PSG though. Bayern especially were severely weakened with no Ribery or Robben.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Valencia
BATE Borisov
Lille
Arsenal
Juventus
Dortmund

For reference in 99 we had Bayern x2, Barcelona, Brondby, Inter and Juventus (at a time when Serie A was stacked). Remove Brondby and that was pretty much the best 4 teams in Europe.
Juve and Barca won their seasons, Dortmund were 2nd in the BL and came after beating Madrid in the semi (and coming out of a group with Madrid and City), so they were some of the top sides In Europe.

Juve and Inter finished 7th and 8th in the Serie A respectively in the 98/99 season, so they were no where near top 4 sides in Italy, let alone Europe.

matbezlima

Barcelona beat all the champions of the other top leagues from the previous season. City did not win the PL in the 2014/2015 season, but they still finished second place. Also, Barcelona's 1-0 victory against City in the second leg was pure football spectacle, one of their best performances in that season. Only wasteful finishing and Joe Hart kept City from suffering a humiliating defeat. And Messi also had one of his greatest performances ever in the UCL ever, virtually every touch of the ball by him was perfect.

matbezlima

I think Chelsea won in 2014/15 but yes they did beat the champions of Italy, Germany and France that season. But I think that differentiates Bayern from them is just how easily Bayern beat all the league champions they faced.

Barca I think lost their away legs v Bayern and PSG though. Bayern especially were severely weakened with no Ribery or Robben.
Barcelona did not lose the away leg against PSG, they won it 2-0. And let's not forget that in the 3-2 loss to Bayern, Barcelona had won the first leg 3-0 and the first half of the second leg had finished with Barcelona winning 2-1. After that, Barcelona stopped playing and was just waiting for the final whistle.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Barcelona did not lose the away leg against PSG, they won it 2-0. And let's not forget that in the 3-2 loss to Bayern, Barcelona had won the first leg 3-0 and the first half of the second leg had finished with Barcelona winning 2-1. After that, Barcelona stopped playing and was just waiting for the final whistle.
Oh wait 14/15 wasn't the season they came back from 4-0? :lol: My bad.

The Bayern 2nd leg was weird, Bayern missed a lot of chances even in the first half and could've gotten much closer. Even in the first leg they matched Barca for 70 mins until Messi took over.

Barca 14/15 certainly are very close to Bayern 12/13, a lot of people will be divided. I think Bayern victories were so much more dominant, especially the Barca won, that people remember those more.

matbezlima

Oh wait 14/15 wasn't the season they came back from 4-0? :lol: My bad.

The Bayern 2nd leg was weird, Bayern missed a lot of chances even in the first half and could've gotten much closer. Even in the first leg they matched Barca for 70 mins until Messi took over.

Barca 14/15 certainly are very close to Bayern 12/13, a lot of people will be divided. I think Bayern victories were so much more dominant, especially the Barca won, that people remember those more.
I agree. Just making clear that Barcelona 2015 was still an amazing and historical team.

matbezlima

City, PSG, Bayern and Juventus were not an easy route. Even if it was, Barcelona's victories in all ties were so very convincing. Easy was Madrid's route in 2016: Roma, Wolfsburg, City and Atletico.

SirAnderson

You also made my blood boil all over again think about it! Pisses me off to no end with what ifs!

El Jefe

All four were great teams and it would be fantastic to watch a mini league of the four. I'd say they'd all have a chance of winning.

I would say Barca 14/15 ranks top though. From a tactical standpoint, they are actually the worst and also clearly had the worst manager but MSN is one of the most devastating attacks of all time. They didn't need to be great tactically to be a great team. It shows how much talent they had. That was Messi at his absolute peak so I'm picking that team every time.

The Bayern and Inter teams were the most impressive IMO as I honestly think they had no weaknesses. Barca of 2008/09 was the most entertaining side, they were simply a joy to watch.