How would you rank the treble winning teams of this century?

Juve and Barca won their seasons, Dortmund were 2nd in the BL and came after beating Madrid in the semi (and coming out of a group with Madrid and City), so they were some of the top sides In Europe.

Juve and Inter finished 7th and 8th in the Serie A respectively in the 98/99 season, so they were no where near top 4 sides in Italy, let alone Europe.
In 2013 Serie A was a procession. Barcelona was a good win but they were still a shadow of their best years at that point.

Juve and Inter were 1st and 2nd in 1998 and close to that again in 2000. Their 1999 season was wrecked by losing Ronaldo and Del Piero but the Brazilian was back to face us. They and Milan were the 3 best teams in the best league in the world at that point.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
In 2013 Serie A was a procession. Barcelona was a good win but they were still a shadow of their best years at that point.

Juve and Inter were 1st and 2nd in 1998 and close to that again in 2000. Their 1999 season was wrecked by losing Ronaldo and Del Piero but the Brazilian was back to face us. They and Milan were the 3 best teams in the best league in the world at that point.
Whether they were 1st and 2nd the previous year, in 98/99 they ofcourse weren't nearly as good. As you said Ronaldo and Del Piero were injured so how can you judge them as being amongst the best 3 in Italy when they lost their best players and, as a result, failed to perform in their league? They were poor that season so you can't say they were one of the top teams in Europe at that point in time.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
On another thread I talked about Barca being in crisis in around the turn of the New Year during their 2014/2015 treble season, although after that defeat in San Sebastian they were 1 point behind Real Madrid who had a game hand, with Real Madrid's 12 match winning run in La Liga (and 22 match winning run all competitions) having been ended with a defeat at the Mestalla.

So during 'crisis', they were still quite close to a Real Madrid team that had been in amazing form in the league, and had easily qualified top of their CL group with 15 points. There's no doubt that Enrique was close to getting sacked though, and he was infuriating players like Messi at the time with his chopping and changing, but settling on a starting line-up.

Racking up 50 match wins across 3 competitions, without having a second domestic cup or playing in a Super Cup, was pretty special.

Last edited:

SharpshooterTom

That was Messi at his absolute peak so I'm picking that team every time.
I'm glad some people say this because there is an assumption his peak was 2012 when he scored those 91 goals breaking Gerd Muller's record. Don't get me wrong that's a lot of goals, but if you look at a highlights package of that calender year you would see a lot of tap ins, easy finishes after sweeping moves, not that many goals outside the box.

I think he was an all round better player in 2015, in terms of dribbling, passing, creativity etc. Those goals against Bayern in the CL and against Bilbao in the Copa Del Rey were as good as any goals this century and certainly of higher quality than his 2012 goal run, he was the complete player then. Not a popular opinion based on statistics but I'd agree Messi 2015>Messi 2012.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'm glad some people say this because there is an assumption his peak was 2012 when he scored those 91 goals breaking Gerd Muller's record. Don't get me wrong that's a lot of goals, but if you look at a highlights package of that calender year you would see a lot of tap ins, easy finishes after sweeping moves, not that many goals outside the box.

I think he was an all round better player in 2015, in terms of dribbling, passing, creativity etc. Those goals against Bayern in the CL and against Bilbao in the Copa Del Rey were as good as any goals this century and certainly of higher quality than his 2012 goal run, he was the complete player then. Not a popular opinion based on statistics but I'd agree Messi 2015>Messi 2012.
My favourite was the explosive long haired one around 2011.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'd go Bayern. But that Bayern side weren't as good as Barca 2010/11 imo. Just that they didn't win the treble.
In my opinion, Barca and United's double sides of 08 and 11 respectively were better than their treble sides.

matbezlima

Messi's playmaking was better as ever in 2015 too. Watch how many crazy marvelous passes Messi makes in the game against Bilbao in which he also scored that crazy goal

Robertd0803

Aye, I had to think about it for a second, before i realised why we weren't there :lol:

On a side note, say that stupid Portsmouth FA Cup result didn't happy (still seething :mad:), where would United 07/08 go in this list if we had gone on to do the treble?
United 07/08 would have topped the list.

From a personal choice of the 4 options, Ill go with Inter as they were the most enjoyable for me. I really dont like Barca so the tie vs Barca was an incredible tie to watch tactically.

iHicksy

I remember watching that Bayern team in the CL. It may have been against Barca, and their counter attacking was the best i'd ever seen. It was so fast, so lethal and penetrative.