How would you rate the signing of Casemiro?

MUFC OK

8.5/10. To expect him to single-handedly carry this team is just nuts.

Baneofthegame

He needs to calm down on some of these first time passes, needlessly giving the ball away.

Realist08

One of our biggest positives of the season. Yes he’s lost form as of late, and is likely due to him having to find his rhythm again after a ridiculous suspension, but this man is a huge reason for us being in the top four and reaching two cup finals.
I’d hate to think where we’d be if we didn’t have him.

MUFC OK

One of our biggest positives of the season. Yes he’s lost form as of late, and is likely due to him having to find his rhythm again after a ridiculous suspension, but this man is a huge reason for us being in the top four and reaching two cup finals.
There’s another thread going on where 4 or 5 people are suggesting we consider selling him in the summer.. swear some peoples opinions are based entirely on football manager.

Dion

Getting to the point where a 4 year contract on £350k a week is starting to look like the poor business it was. His form when he joined was incredible, almost RVP level, but if this last few months is more representative of what his performance levels are going to be like until 2026 then we've created a problem in the squad.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's good to great at what playing his role. It's the players in front of him that should be questioned

Realist08

There’s another thread going on where 4 or 5 people are suggesting we consider selling him in the summer.. swear some peoples opinions are based entirely on football manager.
Is a joke really and completely knee jerk. Silly things get said directly after a loss.
Casemiro has been a boss signing for us, suggesting otherwise is ludicrous.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
7/10. The suspensions haven’t helped his cause and he’s also been sloppy and looked old in recent games.

Wing Attack Plan R

I love having Casemiro in the team, when he's on form, he's incredible, makes everyone around him better, too. I love that he’s a smirking bastard when he plays, too. He’s a character, he’s surely an inspiration for the younger players.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

Is a joke really and completely knee jerk. Silly things get said directly after a loss.
Casemiro has been a boss signing for us, suggesting otherwise is ludicrous.
Why I barely visit the caf anymore. Used to have great discussion on here but opinions like that aren’t even worth debating.

Melvin Udall

I was never a big fan of signing him due to his age. He’s mostly been very good, but a bit inconsistent this year. I’d give him an 8/10 on the season. However, it’s too early to judge him as a signing when there are 3 years left on his contract. He needs two more quality years to be a good value signing, and I am not confident that he maintains this level of play for that long. However, if we get into champions league this year and make appropriate plans to sign a replacement in 2024, then I’d say that his signing was worth it.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
He's a great player but he is too used to have the extra protection Real Madrid players have. He needs to know you normally get red cards if you play so rough.

Irwin99

Short term/good points: been absolutely fantastic for the most part and had suspensions not been an issue would probably be our POTY. Played a key role in winning us our first trophy in five years and he's a leader, no question about that.

Long term: who knows. Could easily have been sent off twice in the last two games against Brighton, and sometimes just looks a bit slow in covering the ground. Also, we've had midfielders like Roy Keane and Michael Carrick who consistently got 87-89% passing accuracy every season. With Casemiro i don't think he's hitting even 80% which can be frustrating and is a bit worrying for a team with aspirations of dominating games.

What were his passing stats like at Madrid?

CatsOfUlthar

I understand we're randomly atrocious or semi decent.

It's not Case's fault though.

He jumps in like an idiot, and he's so full of passion he's positively infuriating at times... Those times being when we're not winning.

He's one of the best signings we've made in recent years, and a real statement of the intent to not continue being awful forever.

There's a lot to improve. He's not one of the things we need to change.

7/10

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I dont think his possession stats are particularly great and we really need someone, in that deeper role, to actually have a good percentage.

Hammondo

Short term/good points: been absolutely fantastic for the most part and had suspensions not been an issue would probably be our POTY. Played a key role in winning us our first trophy in five years and he's a leader, no question about that.

Long term: who knows. Could easily have been sent off twice in the last two games against Brighton, and sometimes just looks a bit slow in covering the ground. Also, we've had midfielders like Roy Keane and Michael Carrick who consistently got 87-89% passing accuracy every season. With Casemiro i don't think he's hitting even 80% which can be frustrating and is a bit worrying for a team with aspirations of dominating games.

What were his passing stats like at Madrid?
He is not the most technical of players, so under pressure he will miss passes.

A-man

Did he really lose form? He was great agaisnt Villa just 4 days ago.

Realist08

Did he really lose form? He was great agaisnt Villa just 4 days ago.
He was brilliant against Villa for sure, looked back to level we’ve been used to.
By loss of form I mean he hasn’t consistently been at the ridiculously high standard he was performing at before his suspension. We saw when he first signed that he needs a few games to get up to speed.

He messed up and set the bar too high, we’ve been spoilt.

InfiniteBoredom

He is not the most technical of players, so under pressure he will miss passes.
Passing is nor really about how silky you are really, it’s more about consistency and experience. We’ve seen him hit great passes before, under pressure, and we’ve seen him give the ball away needlessly under zero pressure, because he failed to execute. Fact of the matter is, for the majority of his senior career, he’s played in a midfield trio with 2 midfield gods, he never really had to worry about ball retention, nor finding that pass that bypasses 2 or 3 players consistently. Someone like Modric besides his natural talent also has thousands upon thousands of hours in matches and training honing that skill, to the degree that it becomes second nature to him, Casemiro doesn’t have that, and at his age it’s unlikely he will develop that.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Getting to the point where a 4 year contract on £350k a week is starting to look like the poor business it was. His form when he joined was incredible, almost RVP level, but if this last few months is more representative of what his performance levels are going to be like until 2026 then we've created a problem in the squad.
Where did the £350k/week come from?

A-man

He was brilliant against Villa for sure, looked back to level we’ve been used to.
By loss of form I mean he hasn’t consistently been at the ridiculously high standard he was performing at before his suspension. We saw when he first signed that he needs a few games to get up to speed.

He messed up and set the bar too high, we’ve been spoilt.
I can agree with that. He is much more up and down now. All in all I would still rate him as our most important player this season, in close competition with Bruno and Rashford.

He was arguably the best in the world at his position. He is still very, very good at it, but he is not 25 anymore. We would be nowhere near top 4 without him and he transformed us early in the season. 8/10.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Martinez 8/10
Casemiro 7/10
Eriksen 7/10
Malacia 6/10
Antony 5.5/10
--------------------------
Weghorst 5/10
Sabitzer 5/10

Suv666

He's an old school destroyer, there to break up play. He needs someone with him who could take off the burden of carrying the ball forward.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So far he's been very good.

However, the concern with signing a player at his age for that money was always less how he'd do in the short term and more how long he'd last before age catches up with him. If he were to suddenly fall off in the next season or two then that gamble would look more of a blunder. So we'll have to wait and see.

Red Rash

Martinez 8/10
Casemiro 7/10
Eriksen 7/10
Malacia 6/10
Antony 5.5/10
Weghorst 5/10
Sabitzer 5/10

Martinez 8.5/10
Casemiro 7.5/10
Eriksen 7/10
Malacia 6/10
Antony 6.5/10
Weghorst 4/10
Sabitzer 5.5/10

I'd go for something like this especially if only.looking at impact rather than impacting price and expectations into the equation

HookedOnAPhelan

7 or 8 out of 10. No way we'd get top 4 without him, but the price tag (not his fault, but £60m is a lot for a 30 year old midfielder) and his dip in form recently are drawbacks. I don't hold the red cards against him, the refs have fecked him. But he still needs to cut out those unnecessary tackles.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s absolute class. The best midfielder we’ve had since prime Scholes and Keane. He needs more reliable players to play in midfield with.

dove

9 (-1 for missing 8 games due to red cards). He is quite literally 1 man midfield a lot of the times, we must sign better midfielders to play alongside him.

MoskvaRed

Until February I would have said 10/10. His performances have dipped since then and I start to worry about how many miles he has on the clock. I recall Matic looked very good at first before turning into a walking pace midfielder.

Red-17

We are too reliant on him to do more than what suits his skillset currently. He is being asked to be more of a deep lying playmaker than he ever had to do at Madrid considering they had two of the best in the world at that over the past 10 years right next to him. If we can get a higher level of quality at our number 8 position and get someone who can adequately replace him as a substitute or for spot starts here and there, then I think he will be successful here for a few more years. We can't be relying on him to play 90 minutes 2 times per week as an aggressive ball winner and not be able to sub him off around 65-70 minutes when he is on a yellow ever because of a massive drop off. That is unsustainable and he will get more red cards if it continues.

Would love if we could get a hybrid 6/8 type player like a Caicedo who could partner him in bigger games and replace him adequately in other situations, but those players are not easy to get obviously.

Idxomer

6/10

His performances have been very mixed overall I'm not really a fan of his profile as a defensive midfielder.

PoTMS

Didn't want to sidetrack the other thread so thought I'd make this thread.

If you asked me this in January, I would've laughed at you and I'm sure there's still a few who would still do so now.

But his form has tailed off massively since then and his recklessness has cost us multiple times since. It's no good having a good half of the season if you're missing/shite for the second half.

Considering he's 31 and we've paid £70m for him, would you consider him a certified success like say Martinez?