Huddersfield Town appoint Jan Siewert as new manager

DavidDeSchmikes

Huddersfield have appointed Jan Siewert to succeed David Wagner as manager.

Siewert, 36, has left his position as coach of Borussia Dortmund's second team to join the Terriers on a deal until summer 2021.

Wagner, who held the same position at Dortmund before joining Huddersfield in 2015, left the club by mutual consent on 14 January.

Huddersfield are bottom of the Premier League on 11 points - 10 adrift of safety - with 15 games remaining.

Siewert's first game in charge will be at home to Everton on 29 January.

Mark Hudson took temporary charge for Sunday's defeat by Manchester City.

"We enjoyed tremendous success under our previous head coach, David Wagner, and we've subsequently appointed a new head coach that bears many similarities to him; a young, aspirational German from Borussia Dortmund II," said Terriers chairman Dean Hoyle.

"However, that does a disservice to Jan, who is his own man. There is much more to this appointment than that."

Hoyle says the club have "succession plans in place for our key roles" and had followed Siewert's career "with interest".

He added: "Given David's success at Huddersfield Town, we knew that it was prudent to look to the future in case an offer came in that he couldn't refuse. David was fully aware that we were undertaking this work - you must prepare for the future.

"Jan's name came to our attention in his previous role as assistant manager and Under-19 coach at VfL Bochum. We first spoke with him over two years ago and we've kept in communication since.

"His reputation in the game is very good. He's known as a coach who is ambitious, has many qualities and who has strong philosophies. As such, it came as no surprise to us when he moved to one of the world's biggest clubs, Borussia Dortmund."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46943388

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow he genuinely does look like that bloke from the crowd, same hairstyle and beard, everything!

How odd :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
36, very young to be getting himself involved in a relegation scrap, a baptism of fire so to speak. Anyone know anything about his style of play for the Dortmund youth team?

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
36, very young to be getting himself involved in a relegation scrap, a baptism of fire so to speak. Anyone know anything about his style of play for the Dortmund youth team?
He's not involved in a relegation scrap. The club know that they are relegated (bar a miracle), he's there for the future.

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
I only just found out Wagner left and I was quite surprised. Very promising manager and I know they were bottom but did they expect any better?

NoPace

I bet against them staying up but I think their attacking midfield play is so horrendous (worst unit in the league I think, even with Cardiff's squad and Fulham's defence) that I think they could miraculously stay up if they can somehow find 2 decent creative types (wingers or 10s) in January. Like even at the level of a Matty Phillips who can cross a ball for Mounie, or someone temperamental but talented like Grosicki or Boufal if they can get hot for 2 months. There are guys around Europe who can't get a game like Nolito or Inue who would be an upgrade too, if not decisive. I really have no idea how they weren't able to secure a loan this past summer for a star young player from a Prem team happy to get their guy 30 starts, like Wilson from Liverpool or Reiss Nelson from Arsenal or someone else i'm forgetting.

Or if they're gonna go 3-5-2 I think a cheap loan striker whose move has failed because he doesn't seem to have the right attributes to play alone up top but could score goals with a partner, like Gabbiadini or Iheanacho

Hogg sitting deep and Mooy (good passer, works hard) and Billing (mobile, decent technically good size) is a perfectly respectable midfield, their center backs are physical and probably will make less individual errors than they have so far this year and Kongolo is a pretty good left back.

Point is, they're ripe for a season saving January move like Kieran Richardson to West Brom or Dugarry to Birmingham.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
He's not involved in a relegation scrap. The club know that they are relegated (bar a miracle), he's there for the future.
I agree. But dont understand why they did not stick with Wagner. They had no business in the Premier League, he deserved a shot at getting them back up imho.

JMack1234

It's funny how hiring the B team manager of a successful Bundesliga club is the strategy of any upper-Championship or lower-premiership club.

Sylar

Theyve only got 3 points since he was hired. im guessing when he was hired he must have been told prepare for next season, but still surprising.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Amazing a club like Huddersfield even got to the Premier league, so fair play to them.
But they won't in any way be missed for what they've put in.

Schneckerl

Amazing a club like Huddersfield even got to the Premier league, so fair play to them.
But they won't in any way be missed for what they've put in.
Kind funny that they have more League titles than Spurs. Nearly 100 years ago, but still surprising.

Redo91

Only for City were so impressive last season I’d have given Wagner Manager of the Year. Miracle he kept them up. They are an average Championship team and it showed this season. One of the worst PL teams of all time.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Only for City were so impressive last season I’d have given Wagner Manager of the Year. Miracle he kept them up. They are an average Championship team and it showed this season. One of the worst PL teams of all time.
For sure. Seriously, a manager would do a good job if he got this Huddersfield side to finish in the play-offs in the Championship, let alone keep them up in the Premier League.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Not sure how people expect a club like Huddersfield to stay up/compete other than the way they did. They aren't funded by a sugar daddy like Bournemouth or have a secret tunnel to every Portuguese player under Mendes' wing like Wolves.

Owned by a fan of the club who was gravely ill during the season They announced profits so regardless of what PL snobs think they'll be fine and prosper with the TV money. I think they improved their training ground too. Fair play to them when you have clubs like Bournemouth not investing in infrastructure at all.

They deserve credit for getting promoted and staying up with the budget of a mid-table/lower end Championship club. But it was going to come to this kind of end in a money league, sadly.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Wagner keeping them up last season was one of the best achievements ever in the Premier League.

Redo91

For sure. Seriously, a manager would do a good job if he got this Huddersfield side to finish in the play-offs in the Championship, let alone keep them up in the Premier League.
Ya it was some going he got them promoted in the first place. They just snuck into the play-offs and didn’t even have a positive goal difference FFS! I really hope it was some sort of mutual agreement and Huddersfield didn’t push him out the door because if they have that is shocking.

I’m guessing he wants a break til the end of the season as I’m surprised he hasn’t been linked to more jobs (maybe Fulham) since he left. If Everton get rid of Silva in the summer they could do far worse than appoint Wagner.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Are they even that? Without Wagner I wouldn’t be surprised to see them struggling back in the Championship.