Huddersfield Town & Paddy Power Shirt Stunt

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought this might be worth its own thread.

So for those that are uneducated, a few days ago Huddersfield tweeted this kit "launch"

Which a lot of people thought was a hoax, but still prompted the FA to apparently get in touch with them to see what was going on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49026053

They also wore it for their 3-1 friendly victory against Rochdale, so it got a showing of sorts.

Today they then tweeted this:

Confirming the hoax and saying the whole thing is part of our SaveOurShirt campaign that PaddyPower is doing:

So what do we think? Funny? Harmless? Good Cause? Or shamless promotion for a betting company that hardly needs promoting?

It's also worth noting that:

"As part of the campaign, Paddy Power is setting up a ‘shirt amnesty’ outside Huddersfield Town’s first game of the season – at home to Derby County on 5 August – where it will give out 500 unbranded Huddersfield Town jerseys, in exchange for older, branded versions.

It has also donated its sponsorship of the club’s training kit to the Huddersfield Town Foundation."

As a wider discussion piece - what do we think about betting companies and their influence/sponsorship within football? Does something need to be done about it?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it was the most obvious promo anyone has seen. Paddy Power are reprehensible in just about every way.

Matt007a

Marketing ploy from PaddyPower for sure. The kit got loads of clicks and discussion going over the last week or so. I kind of hope the FA take action of some kind, but it seems unlikely.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
No problem with it. I can forgive PP most things after the Giggs advert.

The actual shirt looks really good to me as well.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Does this mean Paddy Power wont be on the front of the shirt? If that's the case then having the initial publicity is worthwhile.

The kit looks nice.

Snafu17

Cool. I mean they had to sell their soul to Paddy fecking Power but sure, cool.

decorativeed

Obviously it would work in Paddy Power's favour if a lot of other clubs were to follow their lead and drop their rivals logos from their shirts. Nothing more than shameless (albeit very clever) promotion stunt. I'm sure we all would rather see a nation of clubs with unsponsored shirts though.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I cant stand Paddy Power's marketing stunts, and would rather see less influence of betting companies in the sport.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Paddy Power are ingenious the way they decrease the associated social risks inherent to gambling with pure unfiltered banter. Such cheeky chaps.
You have to admire the absolute brass neck of having their 'reclaiming the shirts for the fans' cake and eating it by plastering their branding everywhere but the front of the shirt. The upshot of having a very nice-looking brandless shirt is pretty good for Huddersfield but if I was a fan I wouldn't be looking forward to a season of being Paddy Power's banter partner.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Paddy Power has got a bloody good marketing team. They appeal to people that think they're hilarious and the people that hate them generate more traffic for them. They know exactly what they're doing and fair play to them for that. Of course they don't give a shite about unbranded shirts in football but it gives them more customers.

I do love non sponsored kits though, basically why i only get international shirts now.

Jonty

Shirts look so much better without sponsorship plastered over them. As for betting companies and their involvement in football it is past the point of saturation, hate that you can't watch a game without being subject to Ray Winston pre-kick off, halftime etc

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Bwuk

Paddy Power has got a bloody good marketing team. They appeal to people that think they're hilarious and the people that hate them generate more traffic for them. They know exactly what they're doing and fair play to them for that. Of course they don't give a shite about unbranded shirts in football but it gives them more customers.

I do love non sponsored kits though, basically why i only get international shirts now.
Agreed. Whether you like them or hate them, they are very smart.

I wish they’d done this with us. Non sponsored kits look a lot better.

Chipper

Adulterer.
So other betting companies have their logo on shirts, Paddy Power are sponsoring Huddersfield by not having their logo on theirs and are making a big deal about it?

I'm fine with that. You're not going to pay to sponsor something and get no publicity out of it all.

EireRed_GS

For me this has been a very clever marketing ploy by PP. They got everyone talking about them because of that ridiculous sponsor, now have everyone talking about these no sponsor kits they're promoting. Everyone loves a nice clean kit not ruined by a sponsor. All works in their favour. They come out with positives all round.

In fairness their marketing and social media use has been ahead of the competition for a while

El Zoido

Say what you will about Paddy Power, this is an initiative I can definitely get behind. We would be the last club in the world to ditch a shirt sponsor though.

Saffron

Agreed. Whether you like them or hate them, they are very smart.

I wish they’d done this with us. Non sponsored kits look a lot better.
Yeah, like this one:

Like someone else said, I wouldn’t want to be Paddy Power’s banter partner though. But if Chevrolet did it in a more dignified way I’d be okay with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Gambling is obviously bad and wrecks lives. So does alcohol. But I don’t remember many people expressing righteous indignation about the Carling Cup. I despise gambling and hate what it does to people but - like booze - we know that prohibition won’t work. So I guess we’re stuck with it.

Re the shirt stunt. Clever marketing for the sponsor and a cool shirt for Huddersfield. Works for me. Would be more than happy if this happened at MUFC.

Drawfull

Aren't gambling ads during games banned this year (in the UK), or the gambling companies have voluntarily said they are not going to advertise? I'm sure that's what I read a few months ago. Basically self-regulation before the governemtn get involved and perhaps enforce stricter sanctions.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Sponsors are entitled to publicity, it's why they pay big money.

I've no issue with the stunt, and the fact they are entering the partnership without a logo for the actual official kit is good sign.

They have a great marketing team who clearly appeal to a variety of audiences.

There are issues with betting companies and gambling, however the club's and the FA should be the ones to run the ruling on their influence, and if they are suitable sponsors.

Bwuk

Yeah, like this one:

Like someone else said, I wouldn’t want to be Paddy Power’s banter partner though. But if Chevrolet did it in a more dignified way I’d be okay with it.
Loved that kit. Get it was only for a one off - shame we lost.

Nico87

The “banter” and gambling culture that these clowns embody are exponentially more problematic issues in football than a slightly tacky logo on a football shirt.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Gambling is obviously bad and wrecks lives. So does alcohol. But I don’t remember many people expressing righteous indignation about the Carling Cup. I despise gambling and hate what it does to people but - like booze - we know that prohibition won’t work. So I guess we’re stuck with it.

Re the shirt stunt. Clever marketing for the sponsor and a cool shirt for Huddersfield. Works for me. Would be more than happy if this happened at MUFC.
I agree that prohibition doesn't work and shouldn't be done. But it doesn't have to be total prohibited, just ban private companies like Norway does.
Create a state owned non-profit betting organisation that offers the whole betting spectrum but actually has working protection mechanisms in place (which private ones don't properly have although they claim it otherwise) and you'll help a lot of people and actually even gain money for welfare.
Travesty that basically no country has gone this way yet.

On the stunt itself, agree that PP have a fantastic marketing team in place (although most people saw this coming a mile away). Still would be pissed if my club would be a platform for their bantz self-promotion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree that prohibition doesn't work and shouldn't be done. But it doesn't have to be total prohibited, just ban private companies like Norway does.
Create a state owned non-profit betting organisation that offers the whole betting spectrum but actually has working protection mechanisms in place (which private ones don't properly have although they claim it otherwise) and you'll help a lot of people and actually even gain money for welfare.

On the stunt itself, agree that PP have a fantastic marketing team in place (although most people saw this coming a mile away). Still would be pissed if my club would be a platform for their bantz self-promotion.
Wow. Have to say that makes a lot of sense. Presumably same rationale behind Nordi/Scandi countries often making you buy booze from state-owned businesses only?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Getting rid of in-play betting may be a decent shout as well I imagine. Can be fun during a good game but for gambling addicts I suspect it only increases their problems tenfold.

RedCurry

Does that mean that their actual shirt will be without a sponsor? What? That’s amazing if true.

Acole9

Outstanding
Just makes Huddersfield look a bit of a tin pot club.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Usually hate everything paddy power do, but fair play on this one shirts look so much better without sponsors.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't say I'd be upset in the slightest if sponsors were removed from shirts. Look so much better without them. Especially that fecking Chevy logo.

edcunited1878

adidas, Nike, Puma, etc. should have their logos taken off the shirts as well as they are club sponsors/club suppliers.

Don't mind it. Carry on.

dbs235

Can't say I'd be upset in the slightest if sponsors were removed from shirts. Look so much better without them. Especially that fecking Chevy logo.
United's looks class without the sponsor. Have to say though I prefer Arsenal's with the sponsor.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Made the local news here in sunny Yorkshire. Loads of folk moaning about it. I said to the missus it’ll be a wind up if PP are involved. Remember the amazon jungle one?

DavidDeSchmikes

Paddy Power get their publicity, and get people talking about them. Will the #SaveOurShirt campaign achieve anything? I doubt it.

Half of the Premier League’s shirts will be emblazoned with a gambling company’s logo during the 2019-20 season, reigniting concern about the normalisation of betting among young fans.

Premier League clubs stand to earn a record £349.1m from shirt sponsorship deals in the coming season, a rise of more than 10% compare to £315.6m in 2018-19.

Ten of the 20 top flight clubs will display the branding of a gambling company, up from nine last season and the joint highest number ever, after signing deals worth a combined £69m.

Betting’s dominance is even more pronounced in the Championship, where 17 out of 24 club shirts will show a betting logo, meaning 27 of England’s top 44 clubs have agreed to do so.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ue-clubs-to-have-gambling-sponsors-for-201920

The betting influence is getting stronger and stronger, through the bombardment of adverts (how many betting adverts do you see before a game and during half time on TV). Watch a game on Sky, Martin Tyler does his 'IT'S LIVE' quote just before kickoff and then.......Sky cut to a quick advert which is a betting one. Don't forget Talksport, Sam Matterface on there gives you odds DURING a game, and at halftime they talk to Paddy Power (or someone from Paddy Power). A bookie is now a half time pundit!!!!
And also betting is getting into journalism. Next time a manager gets sacked/or resigns, look how quickly papers and journalists will refer to the odds on favourite to replace him. One paper will say Manager A is the bookies favourite, but another paper will say Manager B is the favourite, Sky Sports will tell us that SkyBet has manager C/D and E are the bookies favourite etc....