Hugs and Kisses at Full Time

Red00012

Players greeting each other after a match is now some major offense? The pathetic lengths some will go to find something to complain about.

Sometimes I think the CAF needs a Valium and a couch to lie on.
Well I guess if we won they can hug who they want , but when we play like we are content to draw 0-0 at home to City and hugs and kisses after isn’t a good look . It’s where we are at for the moment . Happily hanging around a top 6 finish.

Red00012

There was only one player on the pitch actually from the Greater Manchester area, you can’t expect these players to have similar amounts of hatred for the other side as the fans.

I don’t see the need for hugs and chats at any time, except maybe scoring a goal, but then I’m not a touchy-feely ball kicker.
You could have said this at any Utd team down through the years . Classic example Roy Keane Cork

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
“I wasn’t that bad in the ‘09 final, was I?”
Along the lines of this. It probably elevates Carrick ego that Pep holds him in high regard, which in itself is a sign of weakness.

Cloud7

We as fans get invested and worked up about millionaires kicking a ball, something we have no control over, and try to embue it with meaning. Get worked up about a stranger's haircut, where he was standing on the pitch, how much effort they seemed put in and what they and their agents say to the media.
This is a good way to put it. 22 millionaires doing the same thing you do with your friends once per week. Fans trying to imbue it with some sort of deeper meaning and extension of themselves, and then being upset when the players don't live up to these images created in their minds.

It's a sport. It's football. It's entertainment. That's all it is.

Member 90887

I don't think that you should take Keane's words and the OP's words literally. Of course they can hug and kiss if they want.

I think that we need to see it as a team that played cowardly, that was satisfied with a draw, at home, in a derby and that's actually disgraceful.

Gopher Brown

You could have said this at any Utd team down through the years . Classic example Roy Keane Cork
Correct. You can also say that no two players are the same. Do you really think Roy Keane and Keith Curle hate each other, or do you think the ‘hatred’ was as just as contrived as players pretending they like each other?

I care that the players didn’t show enough effort yesterday to get a result.

JSArsenal

Just a sign of how football has changed.

Just like their being no good captains / leaders around anymore.

Did big teams used to set up to draw matches that often back in the day too? By back in the day I mean 10-15 years. I’m 30 years old but the game seems so much different.
Are you forgetting Benitez's Liverpool? Mourinho's Real Madrid team going to the Camp Nou on an occasion to stink the joint out? Serie A's top teams when they were able to defend?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It is what it is. Football has changed. I used to love that Keane vs Viera but you have to get used to it, football is no longer like that anymore. There is a reason why that full world class England team back in the day didn’t win shit because they used to hate each other due to club’s rivalry.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I think these things come in cycles. Get a couple players that genuinely hate each other, along with managers that hate each other, combined with actual title challenging teams. With the help of the shit-stirring media there will be a similar rivalry again.

Member 120012

I think Keane is talking with the right hand and punching with the left. His point is really there is no fire in that performance , a willing to run yourself into the deck for the cause and then the hugs extra highlights the " f**k it that will do attitude". There were players who did make the effort but that was a few.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Awwwww, that’s lovely isn’t it? Everyone having a laugh, giggle, hug and kiss at full time. United were delighted with a point against a City side there for the taking. The mentality at this club is all wrong.
Players from derby games have often been pally with each other...it's nothing new.

Teams have been in lockdown since March...this is the first time players from both teams have met...there are personal and international friendships that go way back.

Sounds like another petty reason to have a moan.

Walters_19_MuFc

Nothing wrong with it at all. All that matters is that you are 100% committed during the game and I felt our players were yesterday.

Dr. StrangeHate

Nothing wrong with it at all. All that matters is that you are 100% committed during the game and I felt our players were yesterday.
The whole problem is we were 100% committed to getting a draw. The club just wants top 4 when the title is there for the taking.

Web of Bissaka

It's not a problem if the players actually gave it their all trying to win before full time.

They clearly Did Not. Playing for a draw, both teams.

Hence the deserving criticisms. Contexts.

Walters_19_MuFc

The whole problem is we were 100% committed to getting a draw. The club just wants top 4 when the title is there for the taking.
As was City. The two teams obviously didn't want to over commit because of obvious reasons. When we look back at the end of the season, a draw to City may not be that bad, especially given our form at home this season.

Denis' cuff

Rio slating the hugs now.

can’t blame him. The atmos in Fergies time was us against the rest. Not happening when you’re all cosy together. Might feel nice for all these multi millionaires to share their love and compassion for each other but there can’t be any real unity or unifying siege mentality that makes the difference in games like this.

Plymouth Red

I think players take their lead from their manager. SAF was always on the front foot and believed in getting his retaliation in first. The opposition was the enemy and there could only be one winner. His players tended to follow suit. He would take on anyone if he felt it would increase his team's chance of winning. Mourinho is cut from a similar cloth.
Ole is very pleasant and not willing to court controversy, so the squad is toning down its aggression and being quite passive. I see that as a mistake, personally.
I'd like to see more fire in the belly from the manager through to the youngest squad member. That's likely to intimidate some teams and give an edge to us.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
In hindsight this probably wasn't the brightest thing to do in the middle of a pandemic :nervous:

galwayfa

The hugging after a game was never a good idea, sweaty men breathing heavily on each other, they need to walk of pitch after game ends, grassroots players aren't allowed tackle nevermind any contact

Charlie Foley

I think I accidentally found a photo of Roy Keane sort of, kind of, hugging an opponent after a defeat.

It was actually due to that Mengi thread, and Keane was mentioned too, I thought to myself (a) did Roy Keane and Denis Irwin both play the league games when Irwin was at Wolves in 03/04, and (b) could I find anything on them interacting after the matches, especially when they beat us 1-0 in January that season, given that Roy clearly loves Denis, maybe he thinks he’s Triggs or something.

You’ll all be relieved to know that (a) they did play both games. While I couldn’t find anything about their interactions, I did see this photo

on the BBC match report of that game. Based on the celebrating fan in the background I think it’s safe to assume this is at full time and he’s celebrating the win. This is the closest thing to a sign of affection we’ve seen Roy share with an opponent, and even then it’s more respectful and Roy doesn’t exactly look happy.

make of this USELESS information what you will

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I think I accidentally found a photo of Roy Keane sort of, kind of, hugging an opponent after a defeat.

It was actually due to that Mengi thread, and Keane was mentioned too, I thought to myself (a) did Roy Keane and Denis Irwin both play the league games when Irwin was at Wolves in 03/04, and (b) could I find anything on them interacting after the matches, especially when they beat us 1-0 in January that season, given that Roy clearly loves Denis, maybe he thinks he’s Triggs or something.

You’ll all be relieved to know that (a) they did play both games. While I couldn’t find anything about their interactions, I did see this photo

on the BBC match report of that game. Based on the celebrating fan in the background I think it’s safe to assume this is at full time and he’s celebrating the win. This is the closest thing to a sign of affection we’ve seen Roy share with an opponent, and even then it’s more respectful and Roy doesn’t exactly look happy.

make of this USELESS information what you will
:lol: :lol: Nicely researched!

hobbers

Gonna count the number of United players who go for a nice cuddle with Pep.