Hull fan told: Stop texting or we'll throw you out

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The Hull fan says that an undercover (ie:not in a steward vest I guess) security officer approached him to tell him to stop using his phone or he'd be ejected from the ground.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49312316

He says all he did was send the odd message to friends. The EFL has now apologised for any offence caused and here's their "explanation."
"The Comsec scout spotting programme is managed by Football Data Co in collaboration with the league and its clubs," said an EFL spokesman.

"Access is provided at matches for Comsec representatives to operate and identify potential infringements.

"On initial review of this particular incident all procedures and protocols were followed, but clearly there is still some work to be done to ensure these checks are conducted appropriately and sensitively.

"It's never the intention to offend and for that Football Data Co and the League offer its apologies to the supporter affected by this random spot check."
Which raises more questions than it answers. Apparently Comsec have the job of enforcing the "Football Data Co's" rights as the authorised data collection agents at matches.

Leaving aside my instinctive reaction - great, and ban anyone taking a selfie during the game as well. However seemingly, this is something to do with match betting, and the ownership and access to match data, but I really see it as a matter of principle - and this is a bloody cheek. Exactly what do they own and where does it stop?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unless he was literally texting 1000s of messages and looked like he was sending every single bit of info to some shady betting consortium....what on earth did they clock him doing.

That was so different to what hundreds of people do at games?

It annoys the hell out of me that people can't even get through a movie these days without getting on their phone, or 45 minutes of a football match.*

Therefore I think this should be made standard practice at every single football ground.

*taking a photo or two I'm fine with, but posting on the cafe or texting your mates... should be punishable by stoning.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think it was a bit ridiculous that he was approached by someone like this but it does make me think "Why go to a match just to text through it?". Fair enough that he's paying for his ticket but it's weird. He can text about the game at half or full time. People are too obsessed about giving live reactions now.

Hawks2008

Throwing someone out for using their phone? What kind of boomer bullshit is that?

stepic

I think it was a bit ridiculous that he was approached by someone like this but it does make me think "Why go to a match just to text through it?". Fair enough that he's paying for his ticket but it's weird. He can text about the game at half or full time. People are too obsessed about giving live reactions now.
do you not text with your mates or whatever when watching the game on TV?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For context which is missing from the OP, they thought he was part of a betting fraud ring.

People that sit there texting a pal at home non stop to beat the bookie online delay, you can beat the system if you know something is about to happen before they have a chance to update it.

In this case he wasn't.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why would you even use your phone when you're attending a game? This would never have happened in the Roy Keane era. More proof that the game is gone.

stepic

Do you? Why?

Can't you wait until half time like I do? And again after the game?

Do you text your mates whilst watching movies too? :confused:
because it's enjoyable to discuss big moments. when you're in a pub watching it with friends do you watch it and not say a word about anything until half time?

watching a movie and watching a live game of football are completely different.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
do you not text with your mates or whatever when watching the game on TV?
Sometimes, but i'm watching the game at home for free and I haven't paid £50+ for a ticket. I can also pause or watch it a bit later if I want to or rewind if I feel like it. I can't do that with a live game. Same reason I don't text when I'm out hiking or at a museum or at the cinema etc. It's a completely different experience.

If i'm watching a game with mates at a stadium I'll chat with them but I won't go out out of my way to text people at any point.

RedFish

It annoys the hell out of me that people can't even get through a movie these days without getting on their phone, or 45 minutes of a football match.*

Therefore I think this should be made standard practice at every single football ground.

*taking a photo or two I'm fine with, but posting on the cafe or texting your mates... should be punishable by stoning.
Lovely...

because it's enjoyable to discuss big moments. when you're in a pub watching it with friends do you watch it and not say a word about anything until half time?
I can talk to a mate whilst watching, I'm yet to master the art of texting on a phone screen whilst watching something else.

As Silent say, watching on TV is a completely different experience.

stepic

I can talk to a mate whilst watching, I'm yet to master the art of texting on a phone screen whilst watching something else.

As Silent say, watching on TV is a completely different experience.
there are enough gaps in play to send a quick message now and again, particularly after a goal. it's not a big deal. it's part of the fun of watching a game for me if i'm otherwise sitting at home alone.

stepic

Sometimes, but i'm watching the game at home for free and I haven't paid £50+ for a ticket. I can also pause or watch it a bit later if I want to or rewind if I feel like it. I can't do that with a live game. Same reason I don't text when I'm out hiking or at a museum or at the cinema etc. It's a completely different experience.

If i'm watching a game with mates at a stadium I'll chat with them but I won't go out out of my way to text people at any point.
yeah i get the point for people who are constantly messaging throughout a live game, i don't understand that. the odd message here and there is different.

there are enough gaps in play to send a quick message now and again, particularly after a goal. it's not a big deal. it's part of the fun of watching a game for me if i'm otherwise sitting at home alone.
I get it if you do it at home, but this is at a game, it'll never cease to amaze me that people can't be in the moment for 45 minutes.

Opinions though eh? I leave my phone at home when I go hiking or running, I put my phone away when eating dinner with friends/family etc. In moments I much prefer to be tuned in to the here and now, and being at a live event is part of that.

And I love my phone.

Samid

For context which is missing from the OP, they thought he was part of a betting fraud ring.

People that sit there texting a pal at home non stop to beat the bookie online delay, you can beat the system if you know something is about to happen before they have a chance to update it.

In this case he wasn't.
You can't beat the bookies that way. By the time he writes the text and sends it the market would already be suspended. Heck even if he himself tried betting on it instantly from his phone he wouldn't be able to because there are professional scouts at the games trained to be faster than him.

Even if you somehow manage to beat them a couple of times you'll be warned and have your account suspended in no time.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ah, yeah - I get it now.

Still, thought it was pretty much impossible to gain much from that sort of thing these days unless you place "informers" at truly obscure venues, etc.

Championship is pretty high profile as leagues go (in terms of betting, I mean).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Do you? Why?

I talk to my mates during games all the time. It's enjoyable. I wouldn't actually at a game, but might send the odd message. It shouldn't matter what people want to do.

Camilo

Don't think there's anything wrong with people being people. I don't fecking care. If they enjoy texting whilst doing things then fine. Doesn't bother me. None of my business. It's their life. Likewise I appreciate it if judgemental cnuts stay out of my business.

Raven

Same at concerts and such, enjoy the fecking moment.

Johan07

You can't beat the bookies that way. By the time he writes the text and sends it the market would already be suspended. Heck even if he himself tried betting on it instantly from his phone he wouldn't be able to because there are professional scouts at the games trained to be faster than him.

Even if you somehow manage to beat them a couple of times you'll be warned and have your account suspended in no time.
You actually can. Its very common; especially in lower leagues like in Scandinavia if you are Norwegian. If you go to a first or second division game in Sweden with 2-300 spectators its very common to see one or two people (often of Asian descent, and I dont say that with any undertones other than its a fact, I have some insight in it) sitting on their phones the entire games.
Its often foreign students that gets paid for this outside their studies. And its not just reporting a goal, its reporting trends of a game, key players being injured or missing. Anything to affect the betting line.
Im not so sure that it would be so effective in such a relatively high-profile and televised league as this one. But yeah, it does exist and it seems pretty reasonable that this what was the stewards were reacting to, even if they were wrong in this case.

Don't think there's anything wrong with people being people. I don't fecking care. If they enjoy texting whilst doing things then fine. Doesn't bother me. None of my business. It's their life. Likewise I appreciate it if judgemental cnuts stay out of my business.
Ahhh, it's not always judgemental though, studies have shown that leaving your phone behind and experiencing moments, concerts, hiking, live sport can lead to a healthier, happier life with a lesser risk of depression.

Samid

You actually can. Its very common; especially in lower leagues like in Scandinavia if you are Norwegian. If you go to a first or second division game in Sweden with 2-300 spectators its very common to see one or two people (often of Asian descent, and I dont say that with any undertones other than its a fact, I have some insight in it) sitting on their phones the entire games.
Its often foreign students that gets paid for this outside their studies. And its not just reporting a goal, its reporting trends of a game, key players being injured or missing. Anything to affect the betting line.
Im not so sure that it would be so effective in such a relatively high-profile and televised league as this one. But yeah, it does exist and it seems pretty reasonable that this what was the stewards were reacting to, even if they were wrong in this case.
My post was in relation to the team and league this thread is about. Hull City, playing in one of the top 5 most attended/watched leagues in Europe, not some random amateurs having a kickabout with only their friends and family in attendance.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

In this case he wasn't.
not sure how they made that link... any footage wouldn't convince me to bet one way or the other. you never know what's about to happen. sounds bloody heavy-handed to me

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I miss the days when nobody had a phone. People actually had to interact more. I don't even take my phone on holiday with me as someone else will have one for emergencies.

And no I still don't know my own number.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
This thread will attract some serious gowls, now. "Well what are you doing texting people during a match anyway? Those people should be strung up!" they will say, while posting random bollocks on a message board and refusing to acknowledge the irony.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Sorry for this being off topic but there was a tv show on the other day where someone was given 5 grand (I think) to see if he could beat the bookies.

He found someone who described 'courtsiding' in tennis where he flies all over the world, opens hundreds of betting accounts and finds matches where the umpire is very slow at calling the score after a point. He manages to get bets in for the point and reckons he would hope to make over 300k a year doing this. He also said many people do it. First I ever heard of such a practice to be honest.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Do you? Why?

I message my mates/ sometimes check the CAF during breaks of play during the game - usually to check whether something was/wasn't a pen/offside, or just to see what people are making of the game.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sorry for this being off topic but there was a tv show on the other day where someone was given 5 grand (I think) to see if he could beat the bookies.

He found someone who described 'courtsiding' in tennis where he flies all over the world, opens hundreds of betting accounts and finds matches where the umpire is very slow at calling the score after a point. He manages to get bets in for the point and reckons he would hope to make over 300k a year doing this. He also said many people do it. First I ever heard of such a practice to be honest.
Sounds like bullshit to me. You really cant beat the bookies just because you're there seeing the matches live.

You can barely see shit in the stadium with no replay and no big screen. Even if there's something extraordinary it would take a very astute judgment to know how it'll effect the game and the odds in the mere half a minute period. Even then its no guarantee on anything.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Sounds like an insanely stressful job. You'd have to travel extensively too, which would eat into your budget - tickets, accommodation, etc.

No way I'd do that for 300k a year.