JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Starts on C4 / 14th June

For anyone not in the UK it's been teased for a few weeks with ads like:
Which initially just linked to websites like
http://www.personasynthetics.com/

I admit it, I'll be there. Anyone else?

Did anyone see the original (Swedish) Real Humans series?

And if I've completely missed a discussion on it, sorry, my search skills have let me down.

arthurka

I watched Äkta Människor .. Liked it a lot, I am a sucker for AI so that really doesnt say much.. But since Blade runner back in the 80's I find stuff like this highly entertaining . So it comes highly recomended from me ..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Humans is capitalised so I assume HUMANS is a clever acronym the writers have exhausted their intellect trying to come up with to fit into the shows sci-if feels.

Iron Stove

I've seen the original and really enjoyed it. It's inspired by the film A.I. and is quite dark. It's a shame it seems like it won't get renewed. Would have liked a proper ending to the show.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Apparently the C4 version is a new story line - not just an English clone.

In some ways it's surprising that the Swedish original wasn't aired in the UK, but I guess that's because C4 think the premise is strong enough that they can do an English version to sell globally.

It'll be hard for it to have as much impact as its early adverts did though.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I did think the ad campaign was incredibly smart. The first couple of times I half caught it and was left feeling a little confused/uneasy and completley unsure at what it was selling but let it pass. When I finally caught it properly I was even more baffled and backed it up to rewatch before visiting the website, the only downside was that a couple of newspapers had already run articles on the marketing gimmick so they came up first when I googled personasynthetics so I knew it was a teaser for a sci-fi series before visiting their website.

Will definitely give the series a try if i remember to catch it.

Iron Stove

Apparently the C4 version is a new story line - not just an English clone.

In some ways it's surprising that the Swedish original wasn't aired in the UK, but I guess that's because C4 think the premise is strong enough that they can do an English version to sell globally.

It'll be hard for it to have as much impact as its early adverts did though.
That kind of surprised me too since you guys get quite a few Scandinavian shows like the tired detective shows and what not, but this one is actually good. Both the writing and the production values. It's on a different level compared to stuff like Wallander etc.

Last edited:

justboy68

I'll definitely give it a go. Looks interesting and I'm usually into sci fi stuff.

When we do get to the time that household robots are a reality though, I'd rather they look obviously like robots, in the vein of C3PO or something. Would there be any need to try and recreate them exactly like humans? It's just creepy.

pauldyson1uk

I did think the ad campaign was incredibly smart. The first couple of times I half caught it and was left feeling a little confused/uneasy and completley unsure at what it was selling but let it pass. When I finally caught it properly I was even more baffled and backed it up to rewatch before visiting the website, the only downside was that a couple of newspapers had already run articles on the marketing gimmick so they came up first when I googled personasynthetics so I knew it was a teaser for a sci-fi series before visiting their website.

Will definitely give the series a try if i remember to catch it.
I was the same , really thought it was a real advert.

Oggmonster

The main female synth is very good looking.
Jack Whitehall's missus apparently. Done well for himself!

I liked the first episode, started promising anyway. I'm always a bit apprehensive with these C4 dramas though, I think every one of them I've watched has started well then ended awfully.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I was disappointed.
The whole conscious AI thing already being fully realised in the series makes it weaker. I preferred the idea of how they have changed society for better or worse and exploring that route before we went down the fully conscious singularity story line. When he visited the Synth in the Brothel it just seemed like 2 normal people, the female leaving her pain sensor on because it's who she is yadda yadda may as well have been a normal person for the way it was acted. So we'll end up exploring their AI with a very human perspective instead of the myriad other possibilities it could have conjured.
I am enjoying the family interaction and William Hurt with the out of date synth.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I liked it, the whole atmosphere and the interactions will probably keep me hooked.

However, like Gambit I found part of the setup disappointing.

The whole feeling synth thing is such standard sci-fi stuff that it was a bit of a let down to see it appear so early, possibly as the central theme.

The out of date synth, who had the memories of his owner's life, was a more striking idea. The whole theme of jealousy, the mother towards the synth's easy interaction with the child, the man watching his wife being cared for by another man. The daughter who was questioning her future work/role. All that seemed fresher.

I know they have to inject a story arc, a drama complete with chases and cops or whatever. But I admit I'd kind of hoped that it would be more subtle than feeling synths in hiding.

I'll be watching next week.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah it was pretty good, but I also think they rushed into the main story way too quickly and that blonde one's android acting can be pretty terrible. Plus Jen from the I.T crowd, it can't be just me who finds her serious acting and warbling voice annoying!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm liking it.

It's got just enough humanity and unpredictability to keep me watching. Hurt's carer synth is genuinely scary (probably because it's a depressingly plausible development). The chaos created by the Anita synth is developing nicely. My misgivings remain about the cop chase aspect but even that's got more layering than I feared after the first episode.

It's only got a couple more episodes to go and it's been C4's top rated show all through its run, but it has lost a lot of viewers since its first week. Anybody else stayed with it?

Unlikely lad

I think she's one of the worst characters. Supposed to be some mad hacker, but doesn't have a clue about synths and what they should and shouldn't do.
She is quite shit at hacking, not sure how that makes her less of a well written (that's pushing it a bit) character. She's probably the only character with more than a single thing going on.

Oggmonster

I'm liking it.

It's got just enough humanity and unpredictability to keep me watching. Hurt's carer synth is genuinely scary (probably because it's a depressingly plausible development). The chaos created by the Anita synth is developing nicely. My misgivings remain about the cop chase aspect but even that's got more layering than I feared after the first episode.

It's only got a couple more episodes to go and it's been C4's top rated show all through its run, but it has lost a lot of viewers since its first week. Anybody else stayed with it?
Half way through isn't it now?

I've liked it, I agree it's hit and miss at times but it's easy watching as well. I expect it to pick up pace a bit towards the back end of the series as the most recent episode did progress quite a bit with every storyline.

I think she's one of the worst characters. Supposed to be some mad hacker, but doesn't have a clue about synths and what they should and shouldn't do.
In fairness they don't seem to be portraying her as a mad hacker of sorts. They kind of imply she's clueless. She breaks the robot in school by doing it wrong, she almost does the same to Anita and then she has to ask on the forum for help on the coding. I think they're trying to portray her as being interested but a bit clueless...or at least not really tech savvy.

Oggmonster

I don't know, she hacks Anita in no time. You'd have thought it'd be harder than being a mere script-kiddie.
I'm probably not best to comment as I'm awful with technology :D but isn't it the same app she uses on the synth in the school and she just plugs the USB in to her and runs the same programme again? It probably was a bit to quick but at the same time it could be argued it would be boring if they spent more time on showing how it's done. This way it at least shows she has potential to hack her properly in the future...which I imagine she won't do.

Her brothers love for Anitai s quite funny though, the fact he almost tired passing her off as his girlfriend in the last episode and then got caught feeling her up a few episodes before!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
In fairness they don't seem to be portraying her as a mad hacker of sorts. They kind of imply she's clueless. She breaks the robot in school by doing it wrong, she almost does the same to Anita and then she has to ask on the forum for help on the coding. I think they're trying to portray her as being interested but a bit clueless...or at least not really tech savvy.
I think they're positioning her as a beginner poking around using tips she's read on the internet. Clever, but not the teenage hacker superstar beloved of a lot of scifi. Whereas when we visit the shops installing modded software we get the equivalent of car thieves crossed with the bloke who reprograms dodgy Sky boxes.

What I liked about the episode is the way the mother and daughter, by different paths, have reached the conclusion that Anita is weird. It's now altering how they look at other synths - the daughter angry about synth abuse at the party. The mother looking for stories of people who think their synths are more than just machines - even when it's just a standard model.

It's doing just enough to keep me focused and to be honest very few TV series do that.

Oggmonster

I think they're positioning her as a beginner poking around using tips she's read on the internet. Clever, but not the teenage hacker superstar beloved of a lot of scifi. Whereas when we visit the shops installing modded software we get the equivalent of car thieves crossed with the bloke who reprograms dodgy Sky boxes.

What I liked about the episode is the way the mother and daughter, by different paths, have reached the conclusion that Anita is weird. It's now altering how they look at other synths - the daughter angry about synth abuse at the party. The mother looking for stories of people who think their synths are more than just machines - even when it's just a standard model.

It's doing just enough to keep me focused and to be honest very few TV series do that.
Yeah agreed. I enjoy the show overall to be honest and it looks like it will pick up with the backstory soon and the fact all the stories are progressing. I hope there's a second series (its been hinted at in interviews.)

Speaking of Anita I think they have her doing all the neighbours washing...she never puts the laundry basket down!!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ive been following it - some of it is predictable but its decent enough to keep me interested to see what happens

I dont really get too bogged down in whether the techie stuff makes sense - it seems to be more aimed at the average person who doesnt have much knowledge of other AI TV, films etc

I didnt actually know it was based on a Swedish series - is the story similar or original?

Oggmonster

Ive been following it - some of it is predictable but its decent enough to keep me interested to see what happens

I dont really get too bogged down in whether the techie stuff makes sense - it seems to be more aimed at the average person who doesnt have much knowledge of other AI TV, films etc

I didnt actually know it was based on a Swedish series - is the story similar or original?
I've not seen the Swedish but apparently it does follow a similar pattern. I've been told if you watch the Swedish one there would be a few spoilers for future episodes in some of the plots (but not all of them)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
didnt like the episode tonight - answered a lot of questions but too many stupid plot moves

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Season finale tonight. It's kept me watching which I have to say not many shows manage to do.

It all seems rushed to me now, the last couple of episodes in particular. As if they had to squash all the more nuanced stuff about how people would relate to the (normal) synths, into smaller parts of the show each week. But that's the nature of world-changing threats I guess, you end up focussed on the cop chase.

Still - like I say, I'll be there for the final episode so it can't have gone too badly.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Season finale tonight. It's kept me watching which I have to say not many shows manage to do.

It all seems rushed to me now, the last couple of episodes in particular. As if they had to squash all the more nuanced stuff about how people would relate to the (normal) synths, into smaller parts of the show each week. But that's the nature of world-changing threats I guess, you end up focussed on the cop chase.

Still - like I say, I'll be there for the final episode so it can't have gone too badly.
I watched until the end and it was decent enough in general but couldnt have been a lot better - like you say they kind of rushed it toward the end and the last episode was possibly the weakest one of the lot unfortunately!

I did at least like the fact that they closed out all the plot lines though, it wasnt one of those that leaves you with more questions than answers - of course they still kept it open for an inevitable next series

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I watched until the end and it was decent enough in general but couldnt have been a lot better - like you say they kind of rushed it toward the end and the last episode was possibly the weakest one of the lot unfortunately!

I did at least like the fact that they closed out all the plot lines though, it wasnt one of those that leaves you with more questions than answers - of course they still kept it open for an inevitable next series
Yeah I pretty much agree. Good, but not great.

I can see the next season being about the stolen hdd with bad synths being made.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
The missus insisted on watching this from start to finish.... massive, massive, humongous pile of shite.

There's not a wife alive who would go to the robot shop and let her husband choose this...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
There's not a wife alive who would go to the robot shop and let her husband choose this...
He hired her without his missus' knowledge :)

As to the finale. I kind of guessed that it would be like that, even down to the set design for the robotic mind-meld scenes, all a bit too generic scif-fi for my tastes. The computing scenes moved from what I thought was nicely vague in the early episodes into sort of irritating in the later ones.

In the end it was a good attempt to combine standard TV drama with the kind of sci-fi that doesn't rely on special effects for impact. Personally I preferred the balance at the start of the series to the one at the end of it. But still, I don't resent the hours spent watching it and I expect I'll watch S2.

Oggmonster

Yeah it's returning next year so they had to have some kind of incentive to keep watching which was Niska and the hard drive.

The ending was pretty poor though I felt, just seemed so rushed. It kind of got a bit shit towards the last few episodes, not bad enough to stop watching but it wasn't really going anywhere. Next seriesi f there is more evil robots or whatever it has potential to be much better. This series the robots were all whiter than white except for at the very last second.

The missus insisted on watching this from start to finish.... massive, massive, humongous pile of shite.

The wife didn't go with him when he bought it I don't think;) But yeah she'd definitely regret the purchase!