[Hypothetically] If we lose tomorrow...

Sir A1ex

So yeah, the comparison is absolutely stupid and makes no sense. Fergie bought goodwill and patience with good results before the truly horrid period between 1988 and the end of 1989. His results are not irrelevant at all; they showed that he's probably got what it takes so he earned patience.
You're contradicting yourself totally. W12 D10 L9 "bought goodwill and patience with good results"?

You can debate the state of the team he took over (and I've done just that in a new thread), but there's no way you can claim these were good results. They may have been understandable, but they weren't good.

Siorac

You're contradicting yourself totally. W12 D10 L9 "bought goodwill and patience with good results"?

You can debate the state of the team he took over (and I've done just that in a new thread), but there's no way you can claim these were good results. They may have been understandable, but they weren't good.
Seriously?

We were 19th when he took over. NINETEENTH. In fecking November. With a third of the season already gone. How can you claim that finishing 11th after isn't a good result from Fergie? It was far below the pre-season expectations, obviously but after the appalling start, salvaging the season like that represented a good start. I can't believe I need to spell this out.

And the next season we finished second. In his first full season. That counted for a lot in the following two seasons, that, and the FA Cup run in 1990.

feck me, I can't believe we've come to the stage where we're trying to rewrite history just to make Moyes look better. No need for it, really. The man has done a terrible job so far and it's stupid to dig up excuses like that 27 years ago Fergie had a statistically worse start with a team that he took over in 19th place on the table. It won't change a thing. And even if Fergie's start to his United career was worse - it wasn't, not by a long margin - it still wouldn't mean that Moyes will automatically turn into Ferguson if he's given time.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
and assuming Liverpool (who sits at 4th) wins, The gap bet us and 4th place will be 8 points and 4 straight losses in a row. Will it prove to be the 'final nail in the coffin' for David Moyes? Will it then become a matter of time before he is sacked? Given the game following that is against Chelsea, will u think the owners will spare him for just 1 more match, or even allow him to see through the 2nd leg of the league cup semis? Or simply allow him to continue the rest of the season before ending his misery?

Discuss.
Naaah. He is here for at least a season and a half. Almost Guaranteed. Especially with the prophets of give a manager time: Sir Fergie and Sir Charlton on the board. Only flirting with relegation could change that..

Everest Red

Reddest ever
We'll probably lose. Then beat chelsea, then lose to some dross like panathinaikos.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We'll probably lose. Then beat chelsea, then lose to some dross like panathinaikos.

If Moyes somehow contrives to end Mourinho's PL home record, I'll never say a bad word against him ever again, even if we get relegated.

Madthinker

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You might as well go with Moyes won his first competitive match in charge, 100% record, Sir Alex lost his first, 0% record, hence Moyes is infinitely better.

Not really, because that would be looking at one match only, rather than all matches to date.

Of course, there are flaws in the comparison, but that isn't one.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not really, because that would be looking at one match only, rather than all matches to date.

Of course, there are flaws in the comparison, but that isn't one.

Conveniently ignoring we were 19th when Sir Alex took over and Moyes took over the champions.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Our Season is over - From now to May its a series of testimonial games for Ryan Giggs. The honourable thing would be for Moyes to step aside for the 5 months and allow Ferguson to manage the team with Giggs as assistant manager and for them to play an honorary 11 of United legends from now until the last game of season. Bring back players like Bosnich, Beckham, Milne etc etc and give them a run out on the hallowed turf before the London based fans decide to follow a team closer to home.
:lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nah, not yet. It'll only heap more pressure on Moyes and if Liverpool win then top 4 will begin to look even more unlikely, but he won't be gone just yet. Unless it becomes completely disastrous, he'll last till the end of the season.

Amir

Conveniently ignoring the fact that the same team was top less than a year before. So 19th was definitely an accurate reflection of the quality of the players available.
It wasn't. And Fergie, coming from a different league (though naturally knowing the English league OK), managed to pull it up. Moyes took the Champions, and so far took them down to seventh.

Those comparisons are embarrassing.

buckooo1978

If Moyes somehow contrives to end Mourinho's PL home record, I'll never say a bad word against him ever again, even if we get relegated.
stranger things have happened....

get a win tomorrow then a suntanned Rooney downs the rentboys - I can see it happening

Sir A1ex

19th was obviously not a an accurate reflection of the quality that team had. And Fergie, arriving in November, improved things.
So Fergie inherited and under-performing team managed by a clown, while Moyes inherited an over-performing one managed by the greatest ever. But we are not allowed to compare how they did in their first 30 matches because the two teams were in massively different places in the table when they took over? Can you see the flaw in the argument?

Nobody's saying that the 86 team was as good, but the difference isn't so extreme that it is a nonsense to even comment on how the managers did initially, as the Moyes Out brigade would have us believe. Anything that slightly questions their narrative is laughing dismissed as irrelevant.

Amir

So Fergie inherited and under-performing team managed by a clown, while Moyes inherited an over-performing one managed by the greatest ever. But we are not allowed to compare how they did in their first 30 matches because the two teams were in massively different places in the table when they took over? Can you see the flaw in the argument?
We can compare how they've handled things, how things progressed, improved, didn't improve, became worse. The number games - how many matches were won and lost - is pointless. It's a terrible comparison.

Sir A1ex

We can compare how they've handled things, how things progressed, improved, didn't improve, became worse.
We can but it's about as pointless. There wasn't a sole in the world who didn't expect things to be as good once Fergie left. And there probably weren't many who thought a new manager would so as badly as big Ron.

soapythecat

I can't see us winning tomorrow. Without Rooney and RVP we look utterly clueless in front of goal. I honestly can't see us winning any of our next 3 PL games. I'm not being negative, I just don't think the players available have the confidence to do it. Deafeat tomorrow will be fecking disastrous, let's not kid ourselves.

Plugsy

Isn't the word 'hypothetically' kind of implied by the word 'if' ?

Cal?

CR7 fan
stranger things have happened....

get a win tomorrow then a suntanned Rooney downs the rentboys - I can see it happening
I'd love to see us win, I will shout up about Moyes if we somehow do.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Can someone remind me what happens if, hypothetically, we score more goals than the other team today? I can't remember...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Marcelo Bielsa or Guus Hidding
Two good options I grant you, but it's not something we're used to- mid-season upheaval. I think it's going to take at least a season or two before we see if Moyes is really up to the job. I'm willing to afford him that as a fan. Not saying it isn't worrying losing three in a row however.

Revan

Assumptionman
Two good options I grant you, but it's not something we're used to- mid-season upheaval. I think it's going to take at least a season or two before we see if Moyes is really up to the job. I'm willing to afford him that as a fan. Not saying it isn't worrying losing three in a row however.
I wasn't advocating his sacking on midseason (though I think it will become a real possibility if we lose 5 in a row which may happen) but I don't understand why some posters here are acting that there isn't a better option (manager) than Moyes right there.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wasn't advocating his sacking on midseason (though I think it will become a real possibility if we lose 5 in a row which may happen) but I don't understand why some posters here are acting that there isn't a better option (manager) than Moyes right there.
There's definitely better options out there, Moyes wasn't my first choice but I'm right behind him regardless. My view when he was appointed was that he was a risky appointment. Would a man who's main achievements were longevity and stability rather than anything trophy-based be able to command respect and 110% from players used to the best? It could be argued this is one reason we've struggled this season. I just don't think I'd be happy with him being sacked this early. Perhaps I've contradicted myself there slightly, if he's not got the players then stopping the rot would be the smartest move, but I just think he needs more than 7 months to prove he can do it, especially since he's a man chosen as 'the long term' option.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Can someone remind me what happens if, hypothetically, we score more goals than the other team today? I can't remember...
It's a tricky one. I've never figured this out fully myself, but I do believe it's similar to what happens if we (hypothetically, of course) concede less goals then the other team.

Duafc

Village Lemon

You might as well go with Moyes won his first competitive match in charge, 100% record, Sir Alex lost his first, 0% record, hence Moyes is infinitely better.

You just know anyone who puts that much time and effort into the volume and placing of their smilies is an absolute gimptard

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
You just know anyone who puts that much time and effort into the volume and placing of their smilies is an absolute gimptard
Hypothetically, they'd have to be an attention seeking wankstain who actively posts nonsense that is so against the grain, that it will cause a deluge of negative reaction towards them. This, they see as a victory, as its the only time people take any notice of them and show any sort of passion or interest in anything they say.

This condition is otherwise known as 'Kevin'.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
100% win rate since this thread type was made. Make another?