*Hypothetically* Would Sir Alex come back to steady the ship and how would that go?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Same as when Busby attempted it. He was too old (that’s why he retired) and therefore had not enough time to put it right and... Busby didn’t have the Glazers to contend with. In fact, he was part of the problem, being in cahoots with owner Edwards. Fergie’s “no value” and “if you see a cow in a field “ was Glazer-speak. They haven’t gone away, so the best manager in the history of the universe will struggle under these cnuts.
Not really fergie won shits under glazer as well.

The glazer arent perfect, far from it. But if we keep deluding ourself that we wont win shits under them then we're giving a blank pass to every manager after ole.

We just need to find the good manager and everything will be back to normal, or at least better.

Liverpool owner was a laughing stock before they got klopp, spurs arsenal bournemouth too. You just need to find a good manager and won the pot.

Put it this way. Would fergie won more if given 800m to spend and he decided to give it 5 more years? If the answer is definite yes then glazer isnt the be all and all.

matt10000

No. Badly.
NO history is repeating itself let's not encourage it and blemish the SAF record - he is 77 and his family deserve all his time now

This botched post SAF era is similar in so many ways to the botched post Busby era when we even got relegated despite everyone saying it could never happen!

lsd

The Oracle
This is why I can't any Utd fan seriously when they say they want to sack Ole and then put Fergie and Wenger forward as options to come in and manage the club .

Would be sheer lunacy yet still better than Southgate I suppose

Zlatattack

He's too shrewd a man to ever take it on. He's a living legend, has god like status amongst the fan base. Why wreck that trying to get this shower of shite to finish in a Europa league spot.

Adcuth

Nope. He'll be a laughing stock if he comes back. His time has past it. That's not a slight on him.

How'd you feel if jimmy carter brought back to fix trump's mess.
I don't know who that is

Superden

If he is up for it, then why the hell not. Imagine if then brings Eric in as an assistant.

matt10000

When SAF first managed us it took a few seasons to sort out the squad. After that he re-build many times but never fell out of the top 3.

1986-7 - 11th
1987-8 - 2nd
1988-9 - 11th
1989-90 - 13th
1990-1 - 6th
1991-2 - 2nd
1992-3 - Champions
1993-4 - Champions

If we bought SAF in know it would be like starting all over again and assuming at 77 he still has the health, motivation, sharpness of mind to repeat what he did when he was in his 40s, even then at best you would be talking 4 or 5 seasons by which time he would be into his 80s!

So no this is bonkers.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think the first thing He'd do is to get rid of Pogba. He can't stand Raiola.
Then He'll get the best out of the rest, rather average players.
And We'll be laughing our arses off on how easy He does it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A young Sir Alex would fire the lot and bring a new set of players as he did in the 80s. You don't play around deadwood with little talent and far less attitude. He would also bring in a top assistant manager in the line of Rene, Carlos and Mclaren. No more ex players with zero coaching experience as no 2

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
The man is 77 years old with heart trouble. This job would probably finish him off, we should leave him be in retirement.

devilish

Having witnessed the abuse Ole receives, I wouldn't wish similar on Sir Alex.
Sir Alex is the best person this club has ever had and a top manager. Ole is the best 4th striker we ever had and he's no manager. Spot the difference

ExecutionerWasp001

He's a shrewd man. He knows he would be dead within a month if he tried to take over this rabble.

The Instagram bantz between Pogba & Lingard alone would be enough to send him over the edge. The fact that anything but football seems to be at the top of these players agendas would have him apoplectic with rage.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
It would be like raising the titanic and asking the captain to sail it again.

Al-T

No.

When I think of Sir Alex, I remember a time when I was excited for EVERY United match,interested in every press conference to see if he would wind someone up, resented by the ABU's in the office. Happy to remember that fondly.

The man will be 78 at the end of the year and I'd not want his health compromised by trying to get a tune out of this bunch.

By now, we should have moved on as a club but the poor strategic decision making, orchestrated by Woodward, leaves us trapped in this 'could Sir Alex make a difference' loop.

matt10000

That Jimmy fella, I know who trump is
haha Carter was the 70s not late 80s and so camparison would be bring back Dave Sexton!

Ronald Reagan or George Bush were the early SAF era presidents but i get what SirAF was saying it made me laff

romufc

Why do we keep going back to SAF.

It is time to face the FACT. SAF is the past, the greatest manager of all time.

STOP living in the past, play the United way etc, football has changed, football has evolved, it will continue to do so. it is clear fans don't recognise this, the longer we keep holding onto SAF we will never move on.

Bestietom

It's a shame to even discuss about Fergie coming back. He done his time here and was thebest manager of all time.
Let him enjoy his retirement now.

It would be a disaster. He would be a whirlwind in the dressing room. It would take more time than he would be able to give us to clear out and replace everyone he needed to replace.

Green_Red

Alex Ferguson isnt even real, hes fake news, like Bigfoot and the Yeti.

INeedAbsynthe

Supports
Liverpool
Would be criminal to try and make him get you out of this mess given his health and age, even if he really wanted it, it would be incredibly negligent to allow it.

The job to turn you around in to regular title and champions league contenders is massive and will probably take a good few years even with a world class manager. I’m sure SAF would give them a good kick up the rear and get them really playing for the shirt but it would only be a very short term fix, not only due to time but eventually he might be a bit exposed tactically.

You should go all out for Simeone

This is why I can't any Utd fan seriously when they say they want to sack Ole and then put Fergie and Wenger forward as options to come in and manage the club .

Would be sheer lunacy yet still better than Southgate I suppose

Wenger only left management over a season ago.

He is still a thousand times the manager that Ole is, a man who most championship clubs wouldn’t have touched before landing the interim gig.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Please no.

It would affect his health trying to get these players in line.
Exactly.
I would not wish the United job on my worst enemy.
The big man has given his all to the club and we should remember everything he did to make United the best of the best.
We really do need to move on but doing that is proving immensely difficult.

spiriticon

Not a chance. The first team players and staff now is miles away in quality from what he left behind 6 years ago.

He'd need 2 or 3 years to steady the ship and he'd have to take a lot of negative media on the chin. Why the hell would he throw 3 years away with his wife to destroy his reputation?

Nope nope nope.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'd rather have Keane come in and rip the lungs out of the likes of Lingard

UpWithRivers

Id bring him in as temporary DOF for a month or two and work with a team to investigate our club from the top down and write a report on whats going wrong and mitigating actions. Then send packing all players and staff that are not good enough and to lead a team to identify replacements.
His first job will be to sack Ole - its like cancelling Christmas and strangling a kitten to a lot people. Only he could do it without all his ex buddies Neville, Rio etc hunting them down and leave with his reputation intact.

matt10000

Id bring him in as temporary DOF for a month or two and work with a team to investigate our club from the top down and write a report on whats going wrong and mitigating actions. Then send packing all players and staff that are not good enough and to lead a team to identify replacements.
His first job will be to sack Ole - its like cancelling Christmas and strangling a kitten to a lot people. Only he could do it without all his ex buddies Neville, Rio etc hunting them down and leave with his reputation intact.
No temporary is silly as a new DOF would come in and have conflicting ideas.

SAF is best manager in history bar none imo but he isnt the best at managing succession as was proven with the transition to moyes......need someone who is best in world at Dof role rather than more pissing about

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No temporary is silly as a new DOF would come in and have conflicting ideas.

SAF is best manager in history bar none imo but he isnt the best at managing succession as was proven with the transition to moyes......need someone who is best in world at Dof role rather than more pissing about
How is it on SAF that Moyes chose to immediately bin the backroom team and ignore the clear transfer target set out for him?

jasT1981

No, the guys a legend but this current crop will only ruin his legacy. He deserves his retirement. This current bunch of players would ruin anyone.

matt10000

How is it on SAF that Moyes chose to immediately bin the backroom team and ignore the clear transfer target set out for him?
It is not all on SAF that isn’t what I said they are your words not mine. I said that he isnt the best at managing succession and this is based on his recommendation of Moyes “The Chosen One”.

devilish

I'd rather have Keane come in and rip the lungs out of the likes of Lingard
Then they will gang against him and he will be toast. A tough manager needs an efficient board at his back. The only way you sort this mess is to have their P45 ready while 7-8 new players are on their way in

Jericho

Some of the “leave him alone” responses are a bit silly. Nobody thinks he’s actually coming back, nobodies making him come back, and if he did it would be his choice.

I don’t think it would be a good idea anyway. Most of these players haven’t worked with him. Maybe if it was the same team he left behind, and it hadn’t been 6-7 years. Plus, as some have already said, we need to move on from SAF, because even if he did save us, where would we be when he leaves again.