I am hoping we do not sign Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ronaldo will have just as big, if not a bigger impact than RVP had. This is a fantastic signing. He will not "disrupt' the dressing room. He will make every single player at United better...

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Pretty sticking-my-neck-out for my first ever thread on this site, but here goes.

Signing Ronaldo now feels like the kind of signing we should not make at this point, one that could, potentially, disrupt the dressing room climate, which seems very good and balanced right now, and one of the prime qualities of Ole's time as a manager here. Even with Bruno being from Portugal himself it will certainly do something to his role, and make him a smaller fish in the pond (and what about penalties?). Ronaldo is a player used to being a leader, to dictate stuff, to get what he wants - as Pep reportedly said, he chooses where he wants to play.

In addition to this, we have a pretty horrid record with making galactico or close-to-galactico signings, especially late in their careers. Sanchez, Scwheinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao - to name a few.

Ronaldo obviously played here already, and was one of the best I've ever seen. But he's at a very different place in his career right now (and obviously at a very different age).

Also, I have to admit it is the kind of Disneyland we-get-who-we-want type signing that I have never been that fond of. But i get that is personal preference
I understand your concerns and i think most people share at least a part of them but they won't admit to it right now. Group think and circle jerking is pretty powerful in football.

On the dressing room thing, there will be some casualties like Martial and potentially Cavani but the guy is such a winner, it can only help our largely young team to work with a goat level player.

He is still in phenomenal shape and he guarantees goals plus it's a position we are relatively weak in. Let's see how it plays out but as fans we're just along for the ride and although measured i can't help but feel a little excited we get to see him bag more goals for us.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Pretty sticking-my-neck-out for my first ever thread on this site, but here goes.

Signing Ronaldo now feels like the kind of signing we should not make at this point, one that could, potentially, disrupt the dressing room climate, which seems very good and balanced right now, and one of the prime qualities of Ole's time as a manager here. Even with Bruno being from Portugal himself it will certainly do something to his role, and make him a smaller fish in the pond (and what about penalties?). Ronaldo is a player used to being a leader, to dictate stuff, to get what he wants - as Pep reportedly said, he chooses where he wants to play.

In addition to this, we have a pretty horrid record with making galactico or close-to-galactico signings, especially late in their careers. Sanchez, Scwheinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao - to name a few.

Ronaldo obviously played here already, and was one of the best I've ever seen. But he's at a very different place in his career right now (and obviously at a very different age).

Also, I have to admit it is the kind of Disneyland we-get-who-we-want type signing that I have never been that fond of. But i get that is personal preference
I applaud you for sticking your neck out. Always stand by your own opinions, regardless of how unpopular.

That being said, let's chop it off:

Dressing room atmosphere is incredibly important. Its one of the best things about Manchester United 2021. In the dressing room we have Raphael Varane, a man who's been on a team with Ronaldo for nearly a decade and Bruno Fernandes who plays with CR7 on the Portugal squad. According to Ole they've been speaking prior to the move here, Sir Alex spoke to Ronaldo. Everyone wants him here. Ole knows him personally, they're old teammates. There are players and staff in this club that knows Ronaldo well. Synergt won't be an issue. We already have a massive ego in Pogba and he's fitting in tremendously as well.

Sanchez, Di Maria etc are not in the same universe as Ronaldo. This isn't a normal pretty good player, it's the GOAT. (Behind Messi, I'll stick to my opinions)

He is at a different stage of his career, this is also true. He's become a striker as opposed to a winger. He's scoring goals for sport in Serie A and will continue that tradition here.

But all that aside. This is the coming home of one of Manchester Uniteds greatest players. You sign him even if it means mortaging Old Trafford to McDonalds

Idxomer

It's a huge gamble, I think most people will realize that once the excitement wears off.

tomaldinho1

@AndersB with you on this. It's more complicated given the Cavani rumours as we do need another striker but 36 year old Ronaldo isn't what we need.

Maybe now the 'rebuild' buzzword will finally die at least. We sign old players and young players just like we always have. We have to win something major this year.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I disagree as I've watched a lot of him at Juventus this past year and think, regardless of his goalscoring ability, he's still a very good player that could take us to that next level of hopefully winning something, but I completely get this POV.

RedCurry

Even though he’s going to get a lot of stick for this one, I see where the OP is coming from. Ronaldo will be a failure if he’s not a success. There’s no in-between in this case it feels. My only hope is that we have SAF to help us out if Ronaldo’s attitude becomes a problem for us. Even though Ronaldo has been the top dog everywhere he’s played, SAF is still a bigger top dog in his view.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Logically you might be right, but at the end of the day, it’s only football. If you can’t enjoy things like this without worrying about what might happen in the future, then what’s the point in watching football.
This. VIVA RONALDOO

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's a huge gamble, I think most people will realize that once the excitement wears off.
Well, yes and no. It's certainly a gamble but it's *so* short-term a move that any downsides it could bring are limited. We're not going to end up in a Sanchez situation with us not knowing what to do with him sat on his long term mega-contract, for example.

Steve 007

This place had a meltdown when Chelsea signed Lukaku, remember who outscored him last season? 29 to 24 in Serie A.
For those of us who’ve been watching UTD for years, we’ve seen Cantona, Scholes, Giggs, Cole, Yorke, Rooney, Beckham all great attacking players and more recently Bruno but Ronaldo was better than them all, I say that as someone who loved watching Scholes and Giggs. Ok we all acknowledge he’s 36 and it might destabilise Cavani but we cannot let a 30 goal striker go City, he needs to come here and let Sancho and Greenwood learn from him. Greenwood with his ability learning off both Ronaldo and Cavani, you can’t get a better education.

Idxomer

Well, yes and no. It's certainly a gamble but it's *so* short-term a move that any downsides it could bring are limited. We're not going to end up in a Sanchez situation with us not knowing what to do with him sat on his long term mega-contract, for example.
Yeah, that's true.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
We are signing one and if not THE greatest footballer to have ever played and this guy thinks it's a bad idea, a bad idea is you deciding to post that shit in the first place. Ibrahimovic joined at 34, in a far lesser team and did more than good in his first season. Are you doubting that Cristiano Ronaldo, the goal-scoring monster might fail to deliver here?

Michael T

I applaud you for sticking your neck out. Always stand by your own opinions, regardless of how unpopular.

That being said, let's chop it off:

Dressing room atmosphere is incredibly important. Its one of the best things about Manchester United 2021. In the dressing room we have Raphael Varane, a man who's been on a team with Ronaldo for nearly a decade and Bruno Fernandes who plays with CR7 on the Portugal squad. According to Ole they've been speaking prior to the move here, Sir Alex spoke to Ronaldo. Everyone wants him here. Ole knows him personally, they're old teammates. There are players and staff in this club that knows Ronaldo well. Synergt won't be an issue. We already have a massive ego in Pogba and he's fitting in tremendously as well.

Sanchez, Di Maria etc are not in the same universe as Ronaldo. This isn't a normal pretty good player, it's the GOAT. (Behind Messi, I'll stick to my opinions)

He is at a different stage of his career, this is also true. He's become a striker as opposed to a winger. He's scoring goals for sport in Serie A and will continue that tradition here.

But all that aside. This is the coming home of one of Manchester Uniteds greatest players. You sign him even if it means mortaging Old Trafford to McDonalds
^ This - great post, thank you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m exactly the kind of Ronaldo-hating curmudgeon who should be on board with this thread. Can’t do it though. Even my withered old heart can appreciate the romance in Ronaldo coming home. Not everything in football needs to be 100% logical or rational. In a way, it’s impossible to be a football fan without parking some of your rationality at the door!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

There are a lot of very valid points in this thread, but the timing sucks. You need to enjoy the moment and let the dust settle first.

Esquire

He scored 29 goals last year at 35. We can use him. If the latest narrative is true, that “once he knew Utd were in for him, he rejected United”, we would welcome him back with open arms.. A one year rental of Ronaldo even if he scores 20 goals would be gold.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I’m exactly the kind of Ronaldo-hating curmudgeon who should be on board with this thread. Can’t do it though. Even my withered old heart can appreciate the romance in Ronaldo coming home. Not everything in football needs to be 100% logical or rational. In a way, it’s impossible to be a football fan without parking some of your rationality at the door!
Ronaldo walking out at Old Trafford in a United shirt will be some moment. Lets worry about how stupid a move it might end up being after that.

Green_Red

Goals, we need them, he scores them. It's a no brainer.

That ball McT whipped across Southamptons goal last week that no one was near, Ronaldo would have been on the end of that. He has predatory instincts in the box.

Shark

@NotShark
Dude, Ronaldo already reached 100 goals for Juve in the short time he's been there. A total freak of nature that you just don't pass on if the opportunity presents itself.

Varun

Staff
No offence but unless you're Cavani's dad I dont see what's the issue. Cavani is streets ahead of any other #9 we have at the club and Ronaldo is better than him. I dont even care much about the nostalgia angle but he's a bloody brilliant player and if the choice is between seeing him turn out for us or city, not sure how someone can hope its the blues

Banat

I'm with the OP on this. Without Cavani, it would make sense, but I'm having a feeling we are addressing something we don't have to (at least this summer). His wages will be astronomical I guess and we most likely wont go all out for Haaland next summer then.
I can't believe people in this football club are ignoring our obvious midfield problem. Ronaldo is a vanity signing

RedDevil@84

Funny how you leave out Zlatan, who came here when many said he was finished. Went on to score 27 goals in first season and could have got more in second if not for the injury. Was a great influence on his team mates. Many youngsters were inspired and took tips on professionalism and passion from him.
He continued to be cocky, but nothing that his team mates couldn't handle.
Coming to CR7, not one Juventus player ever said CR7 was a pain in the a** for the team or disrupted team spirit.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This thread is wack. Are you guys doubting whether he's an improvement on Martial? Cavani is a proven option and Greenwood is fantastic on the right as well.

Or do you guys think a bad spell could harm his legacy?

I'm genuinely baffled. Help me understand.

Mcking

You don't think that can play an important part in and of itself?
I doubt as much people would be in for this transfer if he didn't previously play for us. I could see a large chunk of the season spent debating whether we'd be better with him upfront or in attacking midfied, while our other players suffer because of it.

TheLittleOne

In my opinion we lack players with winner mentality i think he will be great for the dressing room and its just a 2 year deal (if true). Not much to lose a lot to gain. If the deal happens i think it will be great!

Edit: Damn you 3post max a day :(:p

Not an irrational take, but come on man, it's Ronaldo. Even if he fails it's worth it for the hype and muppet factor alone.
Agreed. I can see where OP is coming from but just look how crazy people are today on several forums. Marketing dream at the minimum

Who cares about how Martial feels, considering what his output and attitude has been.

As for Cavani, I’d be happy with him as our 1st choice but it’s clear his priority is Uruguay.

I’m sure CR7 coming in will whip everyone into shape.
Martial had all the talent and oportunity and can only blame himself. I dont think we owe him anything. Cavani is a class act Im sure we can find a good solution

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Basically the only reason why I want United to sign him is so that City do not get him. And I don't want them to get him because of the prestige it would mean, not for footballing reasons.

Yes, he has incredible work ethic, applies sports science, whatever but we are talking about a guy who turns 37 in 4 months. 37!! He has already noticeably slowed down and he can be expected to nosedive anytime and what you are left with then is a frustrated old egocentric player who could well disrupt the squad atmosphere.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I doubt as much people would be in for this transfer if he didn't previously play for us. I could see a large chunk of the season spent debating whether we'd be better with him upfront or in attacking midfied, while our other players suffer because of it.
You think our players are going to suffer playing and training alongside Ronaldo? Do you think any of them would agree with you right now?

"I doubt" yeah you do, because you clearly only see the negatives. The boost to our club, players and fans in the stadium is going to be huge. And when he scores goals, which he will, that's going to mean something to our chances too.

Tell me, who exactly is he going to hold back? Who would you prefer for that kind of money?

mu4c_20le

Ronaldo will have just as big, if not a bigger impact than RVP had. This is a fantastic signing. He will not "disrupt' the dressing room. He will make every single player at United better...

The mental effect on the team cannot be understated, especially such a young one as ours.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Basically the only reason why I want United to sign him is so that City do not get him. And I don't want them to get him because of the prestige it would mean, not for footballing reasons.

Yes, he has incredible work ethic, applies sports science, whatever but we are talking about a guy who turns 37 in 4 months. 37!! He has already noticeably slowed down and he can be expected to nosedive anytime and what you are left with then is a frustrated old egocentric player who could well disrupt the squad atmosphere.
Christ almighty, the ability of some people to be incredibly miserable never fails to amaze me :lol:

Abraxas

I think it's a perfectly justifiable viewpoint. If Ronaldo starts more often than not, which you have to assume is likely given the financial profile of this signing and his stature, it does make me wonder what concessions we will have to make in other areas of our game.

You can argue that Cavani is a similar kind of short term fix, but I get the impression he kind of fits the ideal mould of what Ole was trying to build towards once he decided Lukaku wasn't for him - only we'd like a younger version eventually. I don't think you can claim the same thing for Ronaldo, he's obviously going to be a box player, and a very good one IF we can put chances on his plate. But I do think there will be very much a plan for when Ronaldo is playing, and then a reversion to the attempted pressing style once Cavani and Greenwood lead the line.

You can also say that having options is good. But I don't think Ronaldo is an option, is he? He's not coming to be an option, he still expects to be the main man and to get the best out of him and keep him happy we'll have to tee it up for him.

Hughie77

This is Ronaldo, hmm Ronaldo, this is the best player on the planet has been for over 10 yrs, ok hes 36 in top shape, showed he can still do it in the Euros with a mediocre Portugal side, Sancho Greenwood , Rashford Pogba, Bruno all of those guys to pick him out, and the worlds best Header of a ball ....... full stop. Yes I'm chuffed if this happens to say the least even at 36.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not an irrational take, but come on man, it's Ronaldo. Even if he fails it's worth it for the hype and muppet factor alone.

Pronewbie

Peep
Who cares about how Martial feels, considering what his output and attitude has been.

As for Cavani, I’d be happy with him as our 1st choice but it’s clear his priority is Uruguay.

I’m sure CR7 coming in will whip everyone into shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.