I am hoping we do not sign Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
How could anyone be against this signing ffs? Do you watch football because you get joy out of common sense & logic?

Where is your heart, passion, love for the game etc? Fecking hell, what's the point if you can't celebrate a signing like this.
Just stick to xA, xG and other stats.

Foxbatt

It definitely is a short term solution. We have been weak in the air unless Cavani is playing. Cavani does not seem to have the pace Ronaldo has and if we get those two up front playing together we should murder any defence. If we can get our setpieces organized then we have a huge threat with Cavani, Ronaldo, Maguire, Pogba, Varane and McTominay.

GlasgowCeltic

Shame if it means no Haaland, seems like star attraction ageing strikers is the strategy, can't say no to signing Ronaldo though

Foxbatt

Shame if it means no Haaland, seems like star attraction ageing strikers is the strategy, can't say no to signing Ronaldo though
Why not? Cavani is here for this season. Ronaldo for two years. So why can't we get Haaland next year?

Flexdegea

Pretty sticking-my-neck-out for my first ever thread on this site, but here goes.

Signing Ronaldo now feels like the kind of signing we should not make at this point, one that could, potentially, disrupt the dressing room climate, which seems very good and balanced right now, and one of the prime qualities of Ole's time as a manager here. Even with Bruno being from Portugal himself it will certainly do something to his role, and make him a smaller fish in the pond (and what about penalties?). Ronaldo is a player used to being a leader, to dictate stuff, to get what he wants - as Pep reportedly said, he chooses where he wants to play.

In addition to this, we have a pretty horrid record with making galactico or close-to-galactico signings, especially late in their careers. Sanchez, Scwheinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao - to name a few.

Ronaldo obviously played here already, and was one of the best I've ever seen. But he's at a very different place in his career right now (and obviously at a very different age).

Also, I have to admit it is the kind of Disneyland we-get-who-we-want type signing that I have never been that fond of. But i get that is personal preference

Jesus half our fans are self loathing........they actually love it.

This deal is just positive on pitch and off it.

He automatically our best striker, not even close, he will elevate the team, all the young players will learn so much and be buzzing of him being there as most will have grown up idolising him, massive improvement with winning mentality................but most importantly it stops city getting a goal scorer and they go into rest of season with just Jesus.

Any one crying about the money involved are total idiots. Absolute bargain over 2 and will return so much more of the pitch. Great signing

txred

Also (and I'm sure this won't be popular to bring up either) I'm sure a lot of people are still disquieted by the rape allegation against him too, with legal action still ongoing in that regard.
It’s a shame more people aren’t expressing these reservations. So it goes.

johanovic

How some here can complain when we are on the verge of having one of the greatest player´s in the history of football back is very difficult to understand. Ronaldo is 36 years old but in much better shape than many younger players...he did score 36 goals in all competions for Juve last season...and he did score 5 goals for Portugal at Euro 2020. He´s a top footballer and professional and this will be brilliant IF it happens. City wanted Messi...Kane....Ronaldo and the plastic club did not get them..I despise City and PSG and their methods and now city are trying to save face by claiming they decided against signing him...City and their discusting owners would have given everything to sign him to make a statement and from a marketing view and trying to attract more fans to their stadium ...Old Trafford will be rocking when CR7 steps back onto the field at OT.

Awla

I agree. But how much chance do we have to sign Haaland anyway? I feel like PSG, Bayern, City (in that order) are the most likely destinations for Haaland.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
It’s a shame more people aren’t expressing these reservations. So it goes.
Sadly people don't really care. Not really. Unless the player is mediocre, THEN all the faux-rage comes to the fore. People are horrid, really. If something doesn't directly impact their lives, they don't care. If it impacts their team, they care a great deal.

MrBest

Ronaldo is god in football, for me. Even at 36, you cannot say no to him. What he brings is not just his history of trophies and goals, he will give us increased revenue, leadership and winning mentality. His presence in training will do wonders for the likes for Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Amad, someone to learn from. He bring additional experience too.

Yes, we need a midfielder, but how do you say no to a player like this? Even if he plays 35 games in the entire season, he would probably bring 25 goals. Play him in the big games, rest him in the small games. If Man City had signed, it would be a bigger disaster. Hopefully it now means we do not need to rely on James and Marial for goals, we rely on a 34 year Cavani who has proved he still has it and a 36 year old legendary goalscorer who 2 months ago, broke the international goal scoring record. if he gets 50 goals in 2 years, how can you question this?

De Gea
AWB Varan Maguire Shaw
Fred
Bruno Pogba
Sancho (Greenwood) Ronaldo (Cavani) Sancho (Martial)

Apart from PSG (Neymar, Messi, Mbappe, Di Maria, Icardi) on paper, who can say they have a better attacking line up? It would be nice to get a player in place of Fred.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
How could anyone be against this signing ffs?
It's not that strange. There are many reasons to be against it.

But if you're absolutely incapable of - also - enjoying it on a certain level, I agree - you're a bit of a wet blanket.

I'll gladly get drunk tonight to celebrate the grand return - no problem there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't what exaggerate here, but you're a horrible human being.

Acole9

Outstanding
Ah yes, he is embarrassing himself, while rest of forum spamming "SIIUUU" , term described as cringe yesterday probably by the same folk.
Not everyone has done that. I certainly haven't.

Fridge chutney

How could anyone be against this signing ffs? Do you watch football because you get joy out of common sense & logic?

Where is your heart, passion, love for the game etc? Fecking hell, what's the point if you can't celebrate a signing like this.
Spot on. I can't believe it. Can't wait to see the reception he'll get at Old Trafford.

MrEarl

I think he will get a really good reception at the start but not so much when the team flounders without a quality central midfield. And what about the future? Greenwood may just as well put in for a transfer. There's no place for him. Nor is there money for a desperately needed central midfield defender. And next year's plan to sign a top young striker. Up in smoke. The Glazers are the Man Utd directors of football.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
"Disrupt the dressing room climate" :lol:

Sign arguably the best player in the world and you think Dan James is going to disrupt the dressing room harmony. If Martial has a problem then he can leave.

Oranges038

How can you not even be a little bit happy about this?

I am all for it, he will drive all those others around him to improve, he might even get Martial going again.

MalcolmTucker

His maximum transfer and wage outlay is something like £70m - that's less than Fred's total outlay.

Considering the commercial boost he'll give us, even if he flops on the pitch, it'll will be a relatively cheap one. How can you not be excited by this transfer?

0le

His maximum transfer and wage outlay is something like £70m - that's more than Fred's total outlay.

Considering the commercial boost he'll give us, even if he flops on the pitch, it'll will be a relatively cheap one. How can you not be excited by this transfer?
I agree. It sounds like a huge wage (and it is) but he is one of those players similar to Pogba that attracts commercial interest. He is also still a GOAT. Sometimes you just have to make exceptions for such cases.

oreon

Of course there's that guy. We can spend spend spend to but world class players from other teams to win. I don't really mind that, this is what football has become. You can't win if you don't spend.
But CR7 is more than just winning. It's brings up a lot memories and nostalgia. If CR7 can lead UTD to a league or UCL title that would be special especially after years of decline. It would mean a lot more than winning with Haaland because there's a lot of history tied in there.
And it's not neither or. If UTD want Haaland then they will need to cough up atleast 150 mil minimum. The CR7 transfer is 30 mil so it's has no bearing on a future Haaland deal.

shaky

Some people just enjoy being miserable.

Ibi Dreams

I think he will get a really good reception at the start but not so much when the team flounders without a quality central midfield. And what about the future? Greenwood may just as well put in for a transfer. There's no place for him. Nor is there money for a desperately needed central midfield defender. And next year's plan to sign a top young striker. Up in smoke. The Glazers are the Man Utd directors of football.
Greenwood is 19. Cavani and Ronaldo will both be gone within two years, probably James and Martial as well. By the time Greenwood is 21-22, four of our current attackers will be gone. He will be absolutely fine. Even this season he'll still get many games.

Houdini

Worst thread of the year. He is still one of the best and a huge boost to the morale.

fps

I agree with you. I am concerned about where he fits into this squad. Though still a great finisher, he really isn’t the player he was. Juventus became a worse team with him in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.