I apologise Ole!

ReddBalls

The Cardiff experience might be truly priceless for Ole. I admire how he handled the huge negativity surrounding the team and the club from the outside every time we had a setback, and led the team continuously go upward. That’s what SAF had been the best and one of the reasons he was able to rebuild the team several times.
Everyone was baffled that he took the Cardiff job. He knew what he walked into, as everyone knew the club was doomed. In retrospect it's tempting to think the experience of trying to manage in a club in complete turmoil was a part of being groomed for the United-job.

stubie

Everyone was baffled that he took the Cardiff job. He knew what he walked into, as everyone knew the club was doomed. In retrospect it's tempting to think the experience of trying to manage in a club in complete turmoil was a part of being groomed for the United-job.
Didn’t Klopp get relegated with Mainz?

El Zoido

Were people really that baffled? How many opportunities were there going to be for him to manage a Premier League club? They were doomed before he took it, so he might have seen it as a no-lose situation. The bloke is a lot tougher than he outwardly projects.

ReddBalls

Were people really that baffled? How many opportunities were there going to be for him to manage a Premier League club? They were doomed before he took it, so he might have seen it as a no-lose situation. The bloke is a lot tougher than he outwardly projects.
He turned down Aston Villa beforehand, and if I'm not wrong he had other offers from the PL that was reported in Norwegian media. I agree though, that Cardiff was a free hit. And he definitely is tougher than he seems, and that might just be one of his biggest strengths. It certainly was when he was a fresh player in the PL.

Irwinning

OLEIN from day 1. So stop apologising and get on with it. I remember I used to hate Karel Poborsky. I thought he was a fuzzy haired oaf who was keeping David Beckham back, but he was a United player. And even after he was a United player, I was proud to see the OT crowd applaud him when he got sent off against us in a Champions League match.

The point is to get United men to the fore and unite behind them. I want us to win, but I don't want us to be a club with a revolving door of managers because that just results in a revolving door of "this is a rebuilding season." Ole has disappointed me at times, for instance I don't think he is hard enough on players when they don't perform (see Fred against PSG), however any poor showing, he learns quicker than anyone else can, because he knows what United is about. 2 more years and if its crap, give it to Giggsy or Fletch :D

troylocker

I am only responding to your sarcastic comment on Ole missing the chances and conceding silly goals.

But yea, in general, people in "here" blame everyone (collectively). Managers, CEOs, boards, players, refs, VAR, other managers, agents, pundits etc. That is also the way it is :angel:
Yup! People tend to blame whoever fits their narrative best.

El Presidente

OLEIN from day 1. So stop apologising and get on with it. I remember I used to hate Karel Poborsky. I thought he was a fuzzy haired oaf who was keeping David Beckham back, but he was a United player. And even after he was a United player, I was proud to see the OT crowd applaud him when he got sent off against us in a Champions League match.

The point is to get United men to the fore and unite behind them. I want us to win, but I don't want us to be a club with a revolving door of managers because that just results in a revolving door of "this is a rebuilding season." Ole has disappointed me at times, for instance I don't think he is hard enough on players when they don't perform (see Fred against PSG), however any poor showing, he learns quicker than anyone else can, because he knows what United is about. 2 more years and if its crap, give it to Giggsy or Fletch :D
Sorry, but that last sentence was shambles.

crossy1686

career ending
It's only One Football but it's a start: https://onefootball.com/en/news/hot...-has-made-us-all-look-rather-foolish-32174766
Hot Take: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made us all look rather foolish
Expect the tide to start to turn now, once the media see other media outlet's come round, they won't want to be the 'last ones' to admit they were wrong on Solskjaer.

And you can almost guarantee everyone in this place will come around when the media stop giving him a hard time. Quite a few in here need the media to tell them what to think.

Zen86

It's only One Football but it's a start: https://onefootball.com/en/news/hot...-has-made-us-all-look-rather-foolish-32174766

Expect the tide to start to turn now, once the media see other media outlet's come round, they won't want to be the 'last ones' to admit they were wrong on Solskjaer.

And you can almost guarantee everyone in this place will come around when the media stop giving him a hard time. Quite a few in here need the media to tell them what to think.
They won’t admit they were wrong, they’ll just do what some of the doubters on here have done and say he’s turned it around and got better all of a sudden.

ReddBalls

"Solskjaer may have been a United legend but as a manager he’d been relegated with Cardiff City and hadn’t done a particularly brilliant job with Norwegian side Molde."

On the contrary, he did a particularly brilliant job with Molde.

crossy1686

career ending
"Solskjaer may have been a United legend but as a manager he’d been relegated with Cardiff City and hadn’t done a particularly brilliant job with Norwegian side Molde."

:lol: Making things up now and showing their lack of due diligence. Makes it easier to say "Well he's got no record of being good"

Withnail

Lol

Jaysus there's revisionism to make yourself look better and then there's this :lol:

Apart from that it kind of doubles down on all the criticisms of Ole and plays down any of his achievements while saying those slagging him off now look foolish. It's a bit of strange article.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Not everything is perfect but we’re heading in the right direction. Ole looks comfortable and I didn’t see him smile or laughing when interviewed. That’s a huge step forward. (blink)

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Another step in the right direction. We’re not perfect by any means but I like what I see.
Tons of credit to Ole.

lysglimt

Scout
If OGS had been sacked in the summer - and a new manager had taken us to 40 points in 19 games (top of the table) and knocked Liverpool out of the Cup by 3-2

What would the reaction be ? He would be lauded as a genious

Grande

I’m behind that.

MrBest

He made some errors on the way, the board stuck with him, some fans stuck with him ( I confess I didn't) but most importantly, he stayed true to his values and beliefs. I think he has taken us to a place that I didn't even think was possible again, so soom after he took over. This feels different to any point when any post Fergie manager had an upside. I believe we have a real chance of getting the double, but as Ole says, one game at a time.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I was impressed today with how we took the game to pool. It was more equal as opposed to last years PL game at Old Trafford.

Raven

It's nice to be able to say "this aged well" and actually mean it. I've been Ole in from the start but have been baffled and annoyed at some of his decisions at times. It's good to see that most people are getting on the same page now, fans, players and staff, I think we'll need that kind of unity to push for titles.

Slik

I was impressed today with how we took the game to pool. It was more equal as opposed to last years PL game at Old Trafford.
Ole had built a better team now. And they are getting better and better at playing with each other. That’s the difference

Withnail

Pogba and Rashford were injured.

James, Pereira and Williams started that game and we had midfield of Fred and Matic.

We've a much better team now, thanks to Ole.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Pogba and Rashford were injured.

James, Pereira and Williams started that game and we had midfield of Fred and Matic.

We've a much better team now, thanks to Ole.
Hopefully we can take it Peps City some day too. Sick of that spanish prick dominating the games against us.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The biggest compliment I can give to those responsible for United's upturn is me expecting United to be equal with the best teams around for the first time since Sir Alex retired. I would be fearful of losing against the likes of Liverpool, but now I would be disappointed had we lost.

stw2022

Just because he’s doing a better job now doesn’t mean previous criticism was not justified. This principle that if a striker ever scores again it makes any and all previous criticism of his performances null and void is so pervasive in all areas of football chat these days.

You’re allowed to criticise something that then improves without being attacked for when you criticised when criticism was valid. Else we’ll all be afraid to say anything in case the goalkeeper that drops a clanger goes on to make a world class save within the next three months

GoldTrafford99

This is very simple:

Anybody who couldn't see what Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was doing as soon as he came into our football club is obviously numb to how Manchester United have ever won major titles through our entire 140-year existence.

We have had two periods of dominance in our entire 140-year history.

Both were planned and plotted for over a long period of time.

Busby rebuilt the club and took six years to win a major trophy.

Ferguson rebuilt the club and took six years to win a major trophy.

Solskajer is currently rebuilding our club.

It's clear.

It's obvious.

If you don't see this and you consider yourself a Manchester United fan; you might need to read up on some of the club you support's history.

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

You've been here 11 years. Have you learnt nothing?

The goal post will change to how we lost to Basaksehir and how defensively we were shambles in that game. They'll also point to how we're lucky that City don't have a striker, how Pool's defenders are injured and we're lucky that Arteta and Lampard are managing two of the bigger clubs.

You might also hear an odd can he get us to 95+ plus points consistently, as that might be required to win the league in future

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I've been Ole out twice during his tenure, but if the PR teacher beats Klopp to the title, I'll build the statue myself
Didn’t Klopp get relegated with Mainz?
yes:
"Upon retiring in 2001, Klopp became the club's manager, and secured Bundesliga promotion in 2004. After suffering relegation in the 2006–07 season and unable to achieve promotion, Klopp resigned in 2008 as the club's longest-serving manager. He then became manager of Borussia Dortmund, guiding them to the Bundesliga title in 2010–11, before winning Dortmund's first-ever domestic double during a record-breaking season. Klopp also guided Dortmund to a runner-up finish in the 2012–13 UEFA Champions League before leaving in 2015 as their longest-serving manager."
Hm, maaaaaybe i was wrong:nervous:
shhh, don't say that, you will jinx Ole :p

GoldTrafford99

Just because he’s doing a better job now doesn’t mean previous criticism was not justified. This principle that if a striker ever scores again it makes any and all previous criticism of his performances null and void is so pervasive in all areas of football chat these days.

You’re allowed to criticise something that then improves without being attacked for when you criticised when criticism was valid. Else we’ll all be afraid to say anything in case the goalkeeper that drops a clanger goes on to make a world class save within the next three months

That's utter nonsense.

There were fans who knew exactly what Ole was doing to reestablish our club as top dogs. We weren't impatient and we weren't giving out about bad results when they came.

We knew that Ole was getting rid of the mess of a squad we had established under LvG and Mouirnho. We knew he was building for the future.

Slagging Ole and arguing that he was bad for the first 18-months and is only becoming good now aren't warranted. All that does is prove that some folk didn't have the foresight and footballing knowledge to see what Ole was doing.

It's that simple.

I, personally, felt it was cringeworthy when I read United fans calling for Solskjaer's head at any time over the past two years. It was like they knew nothing about Manchester United's history. As if they didn't know for a fact that Busby took six years to win anything. Or that Fergie took six years to win anything.

If you don't have the patience to support Ole and see his whole long-term plan through to fruition then I'm afraid you have chosen the wrong club to support.

crossy1686

career ending
You've been here 11 years. Have you learnt nothing?

The goal post will change to how we lost to Basaksehir and how defensively we were shambles in that game. They'll also point to how we're lucky that City don't have a striker, how Pool's defenders are injured and we're lucky that Arteta and Lampard are managing two of the bigger clubs.

You might also hear an odd can he get us to 95+ plus points consistently, as that might be required to win the league in future
You're right sadly. Someone mentioned that the BBC's highlights coverage was Liverpool peppering our goal with shots that amounted to nothing and our highlights being just the goals. The narrative is clear.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Oles rebuilding is not finished. If he can get the players he wants in this year, the team will even gain momentum and have a side that will win trophies for years to come. I saw what he was trying to achieve early on in playstyle and club building. He might not be the best coach there is, albeit good, but they are a team of coaches, and I think all the coaches, the club as a whole, also deserves credit. Number one is the team spirit and professionality that is getting better and better. The mentality instilled and the slow coming of a new team, young talented players and a team that knows how to make each other better. And great football is played. Soon there will be an even better squad, while many clubs take steps back at the moment. Already next year it will be very interesting to watch CL again. I only hope to avoid major injuries, and I would love Haaland, Sancho and a great CB to come this year. That would in my eyes ensure success There will propably still be ups and downs this season, but now maybe everyone sees that Oles plan is working in the right direction. This year would be the time for Woodward to really push through the costly transfers to ensure the momentum into a new golden age.

Jonno

It's not the previous criticism that bothers me, its the previous attempts to hound Ole out of the club, calls for him to be sacked, calls for him to resign, calls for him to move upstairs, calls for better managers to come in, the labelling of his abilities, the unwillingness to give him time to build his version of United.

It's a shame it has taken us soaring to the top of the League to silence the haters. 'Cus I know when we come off the boil a bit, when we don't win every week, the Ole haters will be out in full force, trying to drag him down again.

Jonno

That's utter nonsense.

There were fans who knew exactly what Ole was doing to reestablish our club as top dogs. We weren't impatient and we weren't giving out about bad results when they came.

We knew that Ole was getting rid of the mess of a squad we had established under LvG and Mouirnho. We knew he was building for the future.

Slagging Ole and arguing that he was bad for the first 18-months and is only becoming good now aren't warranted. All that does is prove that some folk didn't have the foresight and footballing knowledge to see what Ole was doing.

It's that simple.

I, personally, felt it was cringeworthy when I read United fans calling for Solskjaer's head at any time over the past two years. It was like they knew nothing about Manchester United's history. As if they didn't know for a fact that Busby took six years to win anything. Or that Fergie took six years to win anything.

If you don't have the patience to support Ole and see his whole long-term plan through to fruition then I'm afraid you have chosen the wrong club to support.
You're a man (or woman) after my own heart.

Every post you write is bang on with my feelings and thoughts about Ole @ United.

justsomebloke

That's not necessarily true. Not if the criticism wasn't just about how things are going right now. Conclusions are drawn from that about how things are going to look further ahead, as well as about why things are going as they are.

It's all very well to criticise a striker who isn't scoring. But if you're arguing that he's not scoring because he's shit, that the manager is guilty of a grave lack of judgment for giving him chances and that we're never going to win with him in the lineup, and he then goes on to start scoring and establish himself as a key contributor, that means you were wrong about all of those things, and that those points in your criticism were not valid. You will have made the mistake of drawing unwarranted and hasty conclusions about the player, confusing a temporary tough spell with more fundamental shortcomings. Rather than argue "He needs to get better if he's going to warrant his place in the team", you argued "He's not good enough for this team, and the manager is making a mistake in playing him".

And so it goes with this issue. The problem is not that people were unhappy after the Tottenham or Arsenal games, and felt that wasn't good enough. It wasn't. The problem was that there were lots of people who were happy to conclude that Ole was an incompetent, clueless manager, that we were going nowhere, that half the squad was shit and that we'd never get anywhere with this manager and/or these players. All of those things were wrong, and there was no reason to draw those conclusions at that time. There was already at that time no shortage of experience over the last year to suggest that the progress has been real, as long as you were prepared to think in a longer perspective than the last few games.

In any case, I'm sure we're all happy that things are going well and if people have changed their stance that's great, and also to be expected in view of the results. No shame in that. But it'd also be great if many people would remember this the next time we hit a bump. Which we will.

Last edited: