I bloody love the World Cup

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

48 team 2026 WC will say bleep you to your love just a bit.
Oh no, how have I discovered this just new that the next World Cup will have 48 contenders in the final tournament...wow I mean, what is the point of calling that the World Cup, just call it Conference league. Awful decision. First they ruined the prestige of EURO championship and now even the World Cup.

Chief123

We need to have a winter world cup every once in a while. It's only fair I think.
Fair on penguins?

World Cup has to be summers! Even if it’s a hot country, they can use air conditioned stadiums.

It’s just not the same in the winter as you are less inclined to get together with friends and family to watch matches. Nice for kids too as it’s holidays.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Fair on penguins?

World Cup has to be summers! Even if it’s a hot country, they can use air conditioned stadiums.

It’s just not the same in the winter as you are less inclined to get together with friends and family to watch matches. Nice for kids too as it’s holidays.
Yeah but it's only winter in northern hemisphere.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I mean they have been this time round
Knockouts haven't happened yet? Got a crystal ball?

As for the group games it's really heated up in the second half, think we've had more good games than bad in the end.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s amazing and I’m fully invested despite by best efforts. I do wish FIFA weren’t such a greedy, horrible, corrupt piece of shit corporation, though. Always puts a bit of a dampener on it. Ultimately the competition itself would exist regardless though.

Chief123

Hooray for everything..... It's been poor.
Having watched nearly every game I disagree. Been very good I think. Yes there have been a few dead 0-0s but there’s also been some enjoyable 0-0 or low scoring games.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Having watched nearly every game I disagree. Been very good I think. Yes there have been a few dead 0-0s but there’s also been some enjoyable 0-0 or low scoring games.
A couple of dire games at the start but yeah been good mostly. This week the matches have been great, drama, tension, footballing skills the works. Glad I watched them all live.

Chief123

A couple of dire games at the start but yeah been good mostly. This week the matches have been great, drama, tension, footballing skills the works. Glad I watched them all live.
I’ve been so engaged in them I’ve done so little work!

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I’ve been so engaged in them I’ve done so little work!
Luckily ive been able to watch most, was great having 4 games a day, little dissapointed that these last rounds the games are played same time so I have to try concentrate on the tv and the Ipad, but that aside the football has been really entertaining.

the_cliff

This has been a brilliant world cup so far.

Much better that 2010 and 18 imo.

wangyu

Too many poor teams having too negative tactics. The World Cup should be about the best of the best.
I remember when the European cup for example consisted of 8 teams. You had 2 mouthwatering super hard groups... the best of the best.

Now if all bad teams express themselves like Canada or Saudi Arabia do then I am all for it but there are too much piss poor teams and attitudes (read refusing to take risks) that my overall feeling is one of irritation.

What Poland did today on the pitch was not football, it was pure cowardice.

the_cliff

Too many poor teams having too negative tactics. The World Cup should be about the best of the best.
I remember when the European cup for example consisted of 8 teams. You had 2 mouthwatering super hard groups... the best of the best.

Now if all bad teams express themselves like Canada or Saudi Arabia do then I am all for it but there are too much piss poor teams and attitudes (read refusing to take risks) that my overall feeling is one of irritation.

That's your opinion, there are people that enjoy and see the art in defensive style tactics or 'parking the bus'. The beauty of football is that there are many different styles and ways to play it, if you want to have a tournament with 32 teams gegenpressing and playing direct, it would kill the beauty of football and it wouldn't as you are assuming make the world cup any better.

wangyu

That's your opinion, there are people that enjoy and see the art in defensive style tactics or 'parking the bus'. The beauty of football is that there are many different styles and ways to play it, if you want to have a tournament with 32 teams gegenpressing and playing direct, it would kill the beauty of football and it wouldn't as you are assuming make the world cup any better.
Possibly but my hunch is that those people are in the minority. Give me end to end stuff any day of the week but I respect your different opinion.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
One of the good things that happened was Qatar winning 0 points.

NYAS

It’s so special and there’s genuinely nothing like it.

Nicolarra90

The group stages and first knock out rounds will be a chore.
Not sure, you can have more than 10 very competitive teams that didn't qualify.
Just for this year
1. Italy
2. Sweden
3. Turkey
4. Austria
5. Cz Rep
6. Ucraine
7. Rusia
8. Perú
9. Chile
10. Colombia
11. Egypt
12. Mali
13. Algeria

That would already make 45 teams, so it might not be a chore.

NYAS

Not sure, you can have more than 10 very competitive teams that didn't qualify.
Just for this year
1. Italy
2. Sweden
3. Turkey
4. Austria
5. Cz Rep
6. Ucraine
7. Rusia
8. Perú
9. Chile
10. Colombia
11. Egypt
12. Mali
13. Algeria

That would already make 45 teams, so it might not be a chore.
Nigeria, Cote D’Ivoire, Hungary, Scotland, Norway

Cantonagotmehere

Lots of (justified) negative threads about Qatar and such, so just wanted a pure positive thread about the actual tournament itself.

But yeah, there's nothing else in sport like it. The drama, the emotion, the stakes.... getting so invested in a game like Mexico vs. Saudi, something you'd probably never normally watch in a million years... yeah, it's feckin' brilliant.

I'm always so fascinated by just how elated/dejected these teams that - lets be honest, realistically have zero chance of actually wining the cup - get just from staying in/going out of the tournament. That's how much it means. In the cynical world of football, and even with everything else about this tournament off the pitch... there's just something so pure about it.
Great post, and totally agree. I'm in the States and hearing about how my 6th and 8th grader school shutdown to gather around different TVs to watch USA/Iran, makes my heart smile.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Agreed on Poland, disagree on everything else. The beauty of the World Cup is the absolute joy it brings to ordinary football people from every corner of the world, kids with nothing going mental at Senegal reaching the knock outs, Saudi Arabia beating Argentina, Australia making it through the group stages. Strip away the despicable top layer of greed and there's still an amazing competition for all real football people from dozens of nations. I don't want to just see Neymar and Messi facing off. There's beauty in all of it. Granted, it's better if those moments come from bravery and skill rather than winning via fewer yellow cards.

wangyu

Agreed on Poland, disagree on everything else. The beauty of the World Cup is the absolute joy it brings to ordinary football people from every corner of the world, kids with nothing going mental at Senegal reaching the knock outs, Saudi Arabia beating Argentina, Australia making it through the group stages. Strip away the despicable top layer of greed and there's still an amazing competition for all real football people from dozens of nations. I don't want to just see Neymar and Messi facing off. There's beauty in all of it. Granted, it's better if those moments come from bravery and skill rather than winning via fewer yellow cards.
The way you put it I have to agree with it.
After all we already have what I want in the form of the CL.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
On the FOOTBALL, the tournament has had highs and lows so far, but the fans have been excellent, love the colour, the passion, the noise (Argentina tonight were literally bouncing).

Looking forward to knockouts and especially the quarters. Top half could well be…

Holland v Argentina
Spain v Brazil

Other half less clear but could be…

England v France
Portugal v Germany

Theres usually a surprise result but I’d quite like to see football royalty going toe to toe.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
On the FOOTBALL, the tournament has had highs and lows so far, but the fans have been excellent, love the colour, the passion, the noise (Argentina tonight were literally bouncing).

Looking forward to knockouts and especially the quarters. Top half could well be…

Holland v Argentina
Spain v Brazil

England v France
Portugal v Germany

Theres usually a surprise result but I’d quite like to see football royalty going toe to toe.
Yeah if all the group winners should win in the round of 16, aside from maybe Croatia or Belgium who likely play Germany. The last few rounds are going to be intense

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Judging by the quality of some of the teams we're watching right now, I'd call you an optimist my friend.
as long as they go for the win and give it their all that’s all that matters.

Give me Saudi Arabia over Poland this world cup for instance. They weren’t the best but they went home knowing they gave it all.

I can’t stand teams that turn up to tournaments and defend for 90 mins

croadyman

Holland v Argentina
Spain v Brazil

England v France
Portugal v Germany

Need a couple of surprise results in last 16

croadyman

as long as they go for the win and give it their all that’s all that matters.

Give me Saudi Arabia over Poland this world cup for instance. They weren’t the best but they went home knowing they gave it all.

I can’t stand teams that turn up to tournaments and defend for 90 mins
Yeah gutting they got through tonight

York

There is nothing like the World Cup. It complements club soccer perfectly. The emotions you see from the players and fans (both positive and negative) is the best part. Even watching the players/fans/coaches sing their respective national anthems is enough to bring someone to tears. Not me of course, someone I know.

Reactions: Rood

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I've always loved the World Cup from when I was a kid through now. Nothing else like it for me. I greatly enjoy club football and I enjoy other events like the Olympics but there is just something about World Cup month every 4 years that completely hypnotizes me. Something about the passion of people from all around the world coming together to celebrate a competition just can't be topped by anything in any other sport or even club football. Olympics I enjoy but it feels more disjointed with many people just focused on certain events.

I was first skeptical of expansion to 48 nations but feck it. A knockout that starts with 32 teams? I'm here for that. I'd love to see more Asian and African teams start to make up the ground between Europe-SA and the rest of the world.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My love and appreciation for the WC has interestingly grown since our decline and my disinterest in the rest of European footy. feck the CL, this is so much more fun.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The quality of football is often used as an excuse to bash international football and we sometimes forget that club football can be as just as bad, whether it's league or European competition

TheRedHearted

Lots of (justified) negative threads about Qatar and such, so just wanted a pure positive thread about the actual tournament itself.

But yeah, there's nothing else in sport like it. The drama, the emotion, the stakes.... getting so invested in a game like Mexico vs. Saudi, something you'd probably never normally watch in a million years... yeah, it's feckin' brilliant.

I'm always so fascinated by just how elated/dejected these teams that - lets be honest, realistically have zero chance of actually wining the cup - get just from staying in/going out of the tournament. That's how much it means. In the cynical world of football, and even with everything else about this tournament off the pitch... there's just something so pure about it.
Jeez, so why don’t you go marry it then?

Okey

I'm loving it so far too. There seems to be a distinct lack of quality, but it's across the board, making the games weirdly entertaining. It's like watching 4 Cup games every day.

AndySmith1990

The best and the biggest sport competition in the world.
If we're ranking competitions by monetary cost and cost to human life, it's definitely the best and biggest

If we're ranking it by talent, quality and entertainment then nah, not close

Real Name

If we're ranking competitions by monetary cost and cost to human life, it's definitely the best and biggest

If we're ranking it by talent, quality and entertainment then nah, not close
You mean this World cup or world cups in general?

Cause football world cup is bigger than the Olympics.

Josh 76

Need a couple of surprise results in last 16
I don’t t think so. Rather watch the best teams play watch other. Otherwise we may get a scenario where a “giant killer” has the one off game and then get mauled in the next round. It sometime happens in the CL. Villarreal got to the semi final then got battered by Liverpool last season.