I didn't know this...

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
A Liverpool manager tipping off a United manager, with the result being the start of United's domination for 20 years? It wouldn't happen these days.

Livvie

Scout
Ahh, not so bad then. I'm not up on my Liverpool history. But I've become fond of Houllier now. :)

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
To be fair, he wasn't going to be connected with Liverpool for another 5 or 6 years. He was part of the French setup back then I imagine.

Besides, I always thought the story about Cantona was that Fergie rang up about a completely different player, and was offered Cantona?

LARulz

Ahh, not so bad then. I'm not up on my Liverpool history. But I've become fond of Houllier now. :)
Other than his Liverpool connection he's never bugged me that much. Probably cos he's the least annoying out of all the recent ones.

To be fair, he wasn't going to be connected with Liverpool for another 5 or 6 years. He was part of the French setup back then I imagine.

Besides, I always thought the story about Cantona was that Fergie rang up about a completely different player, and was offered Cantona?

I thought it was Leeds called him about signing Irwin and he somehow came away with signing Cantona. I'm sure I heard/read that somewhere but could very well be wrong

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Other way round according to the most common story: Leeds rang up Martin Edwards because they wanted to buy Irwin. Then Fergie - being in the room with Edwards at the time - asked if Leeds would consider letting Cantona go. Spur of the moment thing - or so the story goes.

Count Orduck

Other way round according to the most common story: Leeds rang up Martin Edwards because they wanted to buy Irwin. Then Fergie - being in the room with Edwards at the time - asked if Leeds would consider letting Cantona go. Spur of the moment thing - or so the story goes.
You say that's the most common story, but I've not heard it before. I have, however, heard the "rang up about someone else" story numerous times.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You say that's the most common story, but I've not heard it before. I have, however, heard the "rang up about someone else" story numerous times.
Well, I'm not going to swear that it's the most common story - but it's certainly the one I've heard most often myself. Maybe it's just a mix-up: Fergie called Leeds/Leeds called Fergie/Leeds called Edwards (with Fergie in attendance). I don't know.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/aug/12/sport.obsmagspecial1?gusrc=rss&feed=fromtheobserver

Fergie doesn't mention Edwards - but it certainly seems clear that it was Leeds who rang up, not the other way around.

MJLD

Is the book any good Livvie? Saw it the other day and was in two minds whether to get it or not.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Maybe Houllier let Fergie know Cantona was available, then Leeds rang up asking Edwards about Irwin, then Fergie asked Edwards to ask if Cantona was available...

I_live_cement

Cat freak
A Liverpool manager tipping off a United manager, with the result being the start of United's domination for 20 years? It wouldn't happen these days.
We bought Cantona in 92, how long exactly did you think Houllier managed Liverpool for?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Maybe Houllier let Fergie know Cantona was available, then Leeds rang up asking Edwards about Irwin, then Fergie asked Edwards to ask if Cantona was available...
I don't think Houllier told him that - it was more that Houllier wanted Cantona to play more regularly (and he wasn't flavour of the month at Elland Road at the time). Here's an interesting piece - seems both Fergie and Edwards have told different versions of this story over the years:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/nov/24/eric-cantona-20-years-phone-call

Also worth noting Fergie's comment on the inception of the Premier League there! My, how certain things changed...

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
The Irwin part is true. Fergie has admitted this story loads of times, on camera too. He wrote Cantona's name down on a bit of paper and they were stunned that Leeds went away to consider offloading (Wilkinson found him problematic).

Not sure where the Houllier tip-off comes in, Cantona had won the title with Leeds a few months earlier and had been banging in the goals. He wasn't an unknown.

I can't believe Livvie thought Houllier was Pool manager though (he was actually France manager in 1992)!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Irwin part is true. Fergie has admitted this story loads of times, on camera too. He wrote Cantona's name down on a bit of paper and they were stunned that Leeds went away to consider offloading (Wilkinson found him problematic).

Not sure where the Houllier tip-off comes in, Cantona had won the title with Leeds a few months earlier and had been banging in the goals. He wasn't an unknown.

I can't believe Livvie thought Houllier was Pool manager though (he was actually France manager in 1992)!
Aye - and according to one story Houllier had mentioned Cantona to Fergie at some point earlier that season, saying it would be good for both parties (France and United) if a deal could be made, since Cantona wasn't getting enough regular playing time under Wilkinson. He obviously didn't have to alert Fergie to Cantona's talent - as you say he was more than well known, having played a part in Leeds edging it over Fergie's United in the league just some months earlier.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Aye - and according to one story Houllier had mentioned Cantona to Fergie at some point earlier that season, saying it would be good for both parties (France and United) if a deal could be made, since Cantona wasn't getting enough regular playing time under Wilkinson. He obviously didn't have to alert Fergie to Cantona's talent - as you say he was more than well known, having played a part in Leeds edging it over Fergie's United in the league just some months earlier.
Makes sense. Well, Houllier and Ferguson were right and Leeds (and the rest of the PL!) suffered as a result. One of the bargains of the era and probably Ferguson's best signing, in my opinion.

Amir

I believe Fergie wrote Houllier told him stuff about Cantona's personality and how he wasn't the problematic player it seemed he was.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah I wrote about this at the time of SAF's retirement cos Houllier was on French TV talking about his relationship with Fergie, and told this anecdote (that I didn't know either!). Houllier was also the guy who interviewed Fergie after his last game (or last home game, I don't recall), I think they're pretty good friends and there's a lot of respect and admiration between the two of them.

Houllier is a really decent person I think, he's evidently clever and it's interesting to listen to him talk about the game, he rarely has anything bad to say about anyone and just comes across as a really nice guy.

Amir

Houllier is a really decent person I think, he's evidently clever and it's interesting to listen to him talk about the game, he rarely has anything bad to say about anyone and just comes across as a really nice guy.
Explaining Fowler's line sniffing by it being some African thing brought to Liverpool by Rigobert Song was mental though. :lol:

Amir

What's this? I don't know that story! :lol:
Do you remember the Fowler line sniffing antics against Everton? It was his response to claims and chants he uses drugs, and it ended up with him being banned for a few matches. In between, it was how Houllier explained it, claiming he was eating grass as they do in Africa when celebrating a goal. Fowler says in his autobiography some journalists told him they had to run out of the press conference just so they didn't laugh in Houllier's face.

Red_Aaron

i recently read Phillipe Auclairs biography of Cantona and he states quite firmly that Houllier did indeed alert Fergie to Cantonas availability some time before the deal materialised. Eric was having problems at Leeds and Houlier and Platini (who were running the French national team at the time) were keen to find Eric a new club to protect his international career, they'd also sounded out other clubs including Liverpool and Arsenal (according to Auclair Arsenal was Erics first choice at the time though Auclair is a self confessed gooner so that might just be mischief on his part). Fergie apparantly told Houlier he'd definitely be interested and to keep him informed of any developments. Then the famous phone call came from Leeds asking about Irwin and Fergie took the opportunity to enquire with them directly - the rest is glorious history

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lee Chapman and Lesley Ash had something to do with the move say some.

Livvie

Scout

I know. :( I hang my head in shame at not being familiar with Liverpool FC's staff 20 years ago.