I disagree with the popular gloomy consensus

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
no one else in the top 10 would have Lingard in their team
I like Lingard, yes he’s a dick off the pitch, but he plays his heart our for you. Ole has pointed out he’s one of the best you have for the high pressing and intense style of play he’s imposing. Maybe he wouldn’t make the City or Pool first teams, but I imagine Arsenal and Chelsea would happily take him right now. Oh and he scored a winning FA Cup screamer for you.

why would anyone sign for us?
Just look at the following you have on your tour compared to say .. Inter Milan.

Ole is out of his depth, his only experience is fecking up at Cardiff
Slowly introducing some of your younger players, so far it’s working and he’s doing it sensibly with minimal fuss. You can see he has a clear exciting and attacking style he wants to implement. Seems to have dealt with the Pogba situation well and the media in general. He also has a clear idea of the sort of players he needs to sign for that style to complement the existing squad. He hasn’t had a huge meltdown in preseason because he can’t get Maguire!

Young, Jones, Mata and Matic are deadwood and stealing a living
You have a tonne of youth in your team while Young, Jones, Mata and Matic all have vests amount of experience, have all won trophies and all know what it takes to win. We all know that you need that mix of experience, who better as role models for the likes of AWB, McT, Tuanzebe, Gomes etc yes they are approaching the end of their careers, but they have a lot still to give in terms bringing the youngsters through.

whay are we so shit in the transfer market
You’re transfer approach has been scatter gun, because Moyes had no plan b when his unrealistic targets weren’t signed, Van Gaal style was very different he wanted safe possession based players in defence and midfield with creative flair up front hence schneiderlin, blind, ADM and Falcao - this place was over the moon when ADM and Falcao signed, no one saw how that would fail. Mou p,aged a different style again. But Ole and team seem to be getting to grips with that, he’s working with what he’s got and seems to know clearly the players he needs to complement it, there is a clear strategy. You’re transfer season so far has probably been better or at least up there with anyone in the top 6

“Who the feck is Longstaff, only 9 prem starts, no thanks/why didn’t our shit scouts get Maguire when he was at Hull?”

No response needed to this!

In short, there’s lots to be optimistic about, Ole has even said he knows how to the best out of Sanchez. I’ll believ that when I see it!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
A club like United who has a history of success has too many spoiled little bitches for fans and they infect every online forum they get their hands on. Like ok, criticism is fine, and it's well deserved. But there's a distance between that and the whining and complaining that's constantly on here.

My guess is that they are frustrated from their other failings in life and they project that anger in failure on the club and players.

bonothom

Most of the doom and gloom comes from how we finished the season and it's still basically the same team. Yes United have some good players but when the going gets tough they seem to fold fairly easily. That's why a strong character such as Maguire would be invaluable to this team. There is one main thing that this pre season has been so far and that is positive. Despite the transfer short comings Ole has played a blinder so far this summer. Just think back a year ago and Mourinho had virtually destroyed Uniteds season before it had begun.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree with most of what you said. Few posters take it to extremes like how player won't be good enough for PL teams ignoring how so many average players play in PL.

Irwin99

Some good points but strongly disagree with the role models bit. Young, Smalling, Jones have all won trophies either as squad players (their early league wins) or a few smaller trophies since SAF retired, they're hardly the spine of a title challenging side or seem to possess great winning mentalities. Matic and Mata are both decent players but they don't dominate games and really push us on. When things go bad this side cries out for someone to lead by example and rarely anyone does.

Overall though, yeah there's some good cause for optimism with Ole and some of the youngsters. I still have my doubts about the structure behind the manager though and some of the players we're keeping.

Reddy Rederson

A club like United who has a history of success has too many spoiled little bitches for fans and they infect every online forum they get their hands on. Like ok, criticism is fine, and it's well deserved. But there's a distance between that and the whining and complaining that's constantly on here.

My guess is that they are frustrated from their other failings in life and they project that anger in failure on the club and players.
How far is it?

Fridge chutney

Florida Man speaketh the truth. Preach!

redIndianDevil

Typical top red response.

Are all the things with the club going well and good? Was our football fun to watch for the last two years? Are our extremely costly transfers working well? Did we play like a team the last year? Are we in the CL this year?

Everything is going wrong for us on and off the pitch so people are going to be concerned and are going to post their concerns on a fecking opinion forum. You may choose to be blind over the reality and keep telling yourself that all is well but it doens't mean that others have to do the same too. So get off your high horse.

Mr Smith

I agree there's a lot to be optimistic about, and I have a lot of time for Ole as manager and what he's trying to do in terms of playing style and youth development. I also don't think our squad is quite as bad as some say and I think we're only a few key players away from a genuinely competitive team.

Unfortunately, I have no faith whatsoever in the ownership, the board, or Ed Woodward. Everything we've seen from modern football over the past 10 years has demonstrated you need a strong vision from the top of the club down to be successful, and so far I have seen absolutely nothing to indicate the people in charge have any intention to make the investment in terms of time and money not just on the pitch, but higher up as well. Given that, it's hard to be too optimistic about the club's future.

Eric's Seagull

I like Lingard, yes he’s a dick off the pitch, but he plays his heart our for you. Ole has pointed out he’s one of the best you have for the high pressing and intense style of play he’s imposing. Maybe he wouldn’t make the City or Pool first teams, but I imagine Arsenal and Chelsea would happily take him right now. Oh and he scored a winning FA Cup screamer for you.

Just look at the following you have on your tour compared to say .. Inter Milan.

Slowly introducing some of your younger players, so far it’s working and he’s doing it sensibly with minimal fuss. You can see he has a clear exciting and attacking style he wants to implement. Seems to have dealt with the Pogba situation well and the media in general. He also has a clear idea of the sort of players he needs to sign for that style to complement the existing squad. He hasn’t had a huge meltdown in preseason because he can’t get Maguire!

You have a tonne of youth in your team while Young, Jones, Mata and Matic all have vests amount of experience, have all won trophies and all know what it takes to win. We all know that you need that mix of experience, who better as role models for the likes of AWB, McT, Tuanzebe, Gomes etc yes they are approaching the end of their careers, but they have a lot still to give in terms bringing the youngsters through.

You’re transfer approach has been scatter gun, because Moyes had no plan b when his unrealistic targets weren’t signed, Van Gaal style was very different he wanted safe possession based players in defence and midfield with creative flair up front hence schneiderlin, blind, ADM and Falcao - this place was over the moon when ADM and Falcao signed, no one saw how that would fail. Mou p,aged a different style again. But Ole and team seem to be getting to grips with that, he’s working with what he’s got and seems to know clearly the players he needs to complement it, there is a clear strategy. You’re transfer season so far has probably been better or at least up there with anyone in the top 6

“Who the feck is Longstaff, only 9 prem starts, no thanks/why didn’t our shit scouts get Maguire when he was at Hull?”

In short, there’s lots to be optimistic about, Ole has even said he knows how to the best out of Sanchez. I’ll believ that when I see it!
You make some points which I think are valid and agree with and some others I don't.

I would get rid of Lingard, feck how much of a d!ck he is or not, off the pitch that is a debate in itself which I wouldn't bother getting involved in. I am more concerned about what he does on the pitch. Yes he has high energy and I commend him for that but a return of 4 league goals and 2 assists for someone in his position is unacceptable, especially someone supposed to be hitting their prime soon. He had that semi decent season the one before last where he scored 8 int the league and 5 assists but from then he thinks hes made it. I'll give it to him he scored a few worldies in that period but they dried up last season. He needs to show more consistency and should be averaging much higher numbers than what he is. 34 goals and 21 assists in all competition in his whole career of 7 years so far is not good enough in my opinion and for his mediocrity we are supposedly going to offer him a £130,000 a week contract which I don't think he deserves.

The main positive is the younger players coming through as they look decent especially Mason, so I think we should feel positive about this. He seems to have a clear idea of who he wants to sign but Woody is not getting it done. I am happy about the Wan Bissaka and James signings.. Doesn't look like we are getting Harry Maguire and I think Leicester put such a high valuation on him to price him out of a move, it makes more sense for them to keep him. Why would any team want to sell one of it's best players when they've had a semi decent season and could well push on and qualify for Europe this season. It doesn't make sense because they want to build on last season and I commend them for that.

Matic may have the experience but his legs have gone and I don't think he is good enough to start regularly, in my opinion we should just keep for the games against the other top 6 as we should be able to expect his body to hold out for a game at full intensity once in a while and I think we should let him go when his contract expires next summer but I fear Woody may give him another year due to hid experience, which I feel would be wrong. Jones may have experience but misses too many games, I do like the effort he puts in when fit though but I fear when he is on the pitch he is going to get injured or/and injure his teammate or opposition every game or get carded.

Our approach has been scatter gun because Woody kept bringing in managers with different styles hence why we should have got a DoF in a long time ago to ensure that there is a fluidity and continuity in style when the next man comes in. Woody needs someone/people, I wouldn't mind a committee to assist him whilst at the moment it seems as if he thinks he can do it all, while he is decent on the financial side but knows feck all about football and seems to learned feck all about it since the time he has been here.

If Ole gets the best out of Sanchez he is a genius in my eyes as 1 paltry goal in the league all last season is pathetic.

I would say be positive and have faith in Ole that he is going to do well. Hope woody gets us a few signings in the next 3 weeks. I think they key is patience as we cant fix it all in one window and as long as we can see progression I am willing to give Ole the time he needs to turn things around but he needs Woody to give him a good platform to succeed from which I don't think he is doing at present. Patience and faith are key in my opinion mate :devil:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
At a top club playing "heart out" is alone not enough. Many fans here will do the same if given a chance. It should be part of being a professional.
He lacks many things on the pitch. Skill, technique and ability to handle pressure all are equally important. Same for jones, young and mata.
Im afraid all the criticism projected on lingard is well warranted. He should be playing his "heart out" in bottom lower teams. None of us will criticize him.

They are simply not manutd material. Never will be.

Eric's Seagull

At a top club playing "heart out" is alone not enough. Many fans here will do the same if given a chance. It should be part of being a professional.
He lacks many things on the pitch. Skill, technique and ability to handle pressure all are equally important. Same for jones, young and mata.
Im afraid all the criticism projected on lingard is well warranted. He should be playing his "heart out" in bottom lower teams. None of us will criticize him.

They are simply not manutd material. Never will be.
Agree with your post particularly the part in bold. Playing your heart out should be the 'minimum' expectation for having the honour of wearing our shirt and playing for Manchester United :devil:

Alemar

Lingard is an attacking player, but he doesn’t provide end product. Pressing is all he delivers - not quite enough

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Woodward loves the boy

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is a double edged sword though. The ones who want to come could be more interested in their social media numbers and the opportunities that come with it.

It's one of the reasons I am worried for the state of the football club.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

thank you, Dr Freud. we pay the money, we have the right to complain but quite how our complaining makes Woodward a useless tool, I have no idea or how it makes us lose to the likes of Cardiff, Brighton or Huddersfield

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Woodward loves the boy
Not condoning Woodward in the slightest, there are definitely issues there, lack of DoF or appointing managers with radically different styles for example. But there’s also plenty to be optimistic about. But if you want to ignore all the positives, you’re welcome too.

But looking in from the outside your club is in a much better position than many of the threads and posts on this forum suggest.

Chairman Steve

I think we underestimate and shit on the club in a bit of an OTT manner at times, no matter if we’re not having a good season.

Klopp chose Liverpool even though he pretty much could have gone anywhere else. The likes of Liverpool and Utd will still be a draw to people even during mediocre times, and not everyone’s going to go to the billionaire clubs of City and Chelsea.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Imagine would the fans would be like if this was Real Madrid going into their 7th season still struggling to even make top 4 while having spent big money trying to get back to the top. Would they settle with OGS and the squad?

TrueRed79

Sport is a realm of opinions. You pay and support teams and are entirely entitled to say what you think on a public forum. Your response is exactly the type of shite that makes me laugh.

0le

Playing your heart out is a basic requirement. Being able to press is also not a major achievement. He's a very average football player.

Players go where the money is, not which club has the most fans.

The team was disastrous after PSG. Only time will tell if he can produce better results, like pre-PSG, more consistently. Pre-season form gives an indication of tactics but not on performance.

Their experience has counted for the sum of feck all in the last six years. What you need is LEADERSHIP, not just experience. United have not had any leaders since Rooney left and perhaps Zlatan.

There may be a better approach, there may not be. The fact remains with only a few weeks left of the transfer window, we've lost Herrera, Fellaini and Valencia and have only signed a RB and a kid. The problem still remains with the board, in how slow they are to finalise deals and a cynic would also suggest a lack of enthusiasm to spend money.
I replied to all your posts. I think every one has a simple counter. In essence, fans may feel positive, like you, or cautious or negative. I get the impression most fans are cautious and uncertain of the future.

Pace Abuser

I automatically switch off at the Lingard fanboys. Do they not read back their defence of him and cringe?

Ventura

The cold hard facts are that we need reinforcements. Some players are not top 4 material.

AJ10

Imagine would the fans would be like if this was Real Madrid going into their 7th season still struggling to even make top 4 while having spent big money trying to get back to the top. Would they settle with OGS and the squad?
Those embarrassing creatures boo'ed Ronaldo.

Bestietom

I'm a little worried about the future of the club with the Glazers in the seat. I would rather they concentrate more on the footballing side and get us back up there as the top club in the world, on the pitch.
This would surely put the value of this great club up higher if they ever wanted to sell.?? I think that Ole could do really well for us IF he is backed. We also need a DOF that knows about football and takes full control of transfers. Woody has to be stripped of this job.

Last edited:

Smores

Everything is fine, if you just ignore all the bad stuff going on.

lewwoo

Thank you for the psychoanalysis. Because we are frustrated that the team we love and support is underachieving and wont blindly accept mediocrity we must be failing at life.

AJ10

And they still won 3 CL's in a row
Whats does them booing Ronaldo have to do with winning or loosing?... They still boo'ed a guy who scored something like 400 in 400 games.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I replied to all your posts. I think every one has a simple counter. In essence, fans may feel positive, like you, or cautious or negative. I get the impression most fans are cautious and uncertain of the future.
I get your responses and they’re fine and thought out, football is subjective and we won’t always disagree, what I was getting at is the OTT negativity and you know the posts and threads I mean. I’ve seen calls for ole to be sacked, posters who call Lingard, young, Jones deadwood and worse, regularly accuse them of stealing a living, presuming that ole is just a yes man, complaining when you sign promising youth and then complaining that you should have signed promising youth, blah blah

Reasoned criticism is one thing, endless negativity taking over every thread is another it’s totally over the top.

It’s like Jose never left, he just started posting under hundreds of different accounts.

Lastwolf

My favourite part about that bit is that is never more than a page away from someone else moaning about how we never sign players before they are 90m. Getting Ali when he was MK Dons, Maguire when he was a Hull etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Personally feel like we have loads of reasons to be optimistic for. We arent going to compete for the major trophies this season and that's fine because of all the youth in the squad. I think many do see hope in that youth though and will be prepared to be a bit patient, we're holding firm over our top players and not being pushed around, we're keeping De Gea and Pogba (for the time being with Pogba), and provided we spend a little more in a couple of key areas, we can look really settled looking forward. People should be far more excited for this upcoming season with Tuanzebe, McTominay, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all getting bigger roles and developing.